• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 06:47 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:coachman
  • Truck Make & Model:chevy 1500 4x4
  • Name (Public):Kevin Sweeney

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

I was looking at this picture and I don't see what holds the overhang up.

Cutaway_TC_Construction.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   vanceman

vanceman

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Local time: 03:47 AM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:golfing water and snow skiing, hiking and biking, gardening camping fishing
  • Camper Brand:2012 northern lite 10-2 cdse
  • Truck Make & Model:03 dodge ram 3500 srw 285 19.5 wheels and tires, road master sway bar, air lift air bags in cab controller, stable loads, tork lift tie downs,pack brake exhaust, ats tranny,4 inch exhaust ats manifold ,aurora 3000 turbo ,afe air intake ,
  • Name (Public):don

Posted 24 April 2017 - 03:43 AM

Most all of the weight is to the back on a truck camper all your tanks, fridg, bath, dinet, don't need anything to hold front up. When camper is off the truck make sure the front is a little higher than the rear. Camper will wobble around a lot but is safe. We take camper off truck all the time never had any worries of front not being supported.Just make sure you have some small levels on your camper at the rear both sides as you raise the camper its very important you keep the camper level with the front just slightly higher.

#3 OFFLINE   towpro

towpro

Poster

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 06:47 AM
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:08 AM

I think OP is talking about what prevents the overhang from falling off, or bending down from the rear compartment of the RV.

from your picture, it appears that the stud that is on front of rear compartment is HD compared to rest.

than you have a triangle based on strut that goes forward and downwards from this HD stud and is attached to "bottom plate" frame rail for cab-over

than you have heavy "top plate" frame rail which also is supported with a triangle that goes forward and upwards to this top plate.

plus the construction is designed so the whole wall acts like "one structure" where each piece is secured together and is part of the overall support structure.

Edited by towpro, 24 April 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Local time: 04:47 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 30 April 2017 - 06:33 AM

Look at the triangular bracing.  Think bridge.  The vertical beam at the front wall of a TC is one of the strongest frame elements in the whole TC.  The big frame part that extends from the rear of the camper all the way to the front of the overhead is a cantilevered beam, also very strong.

#5 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 995 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NE
  • Interests:Learning as much as I can.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500

Posted 30 April 2017 - 02:55 PM

We've all heard Snowriver made the first TC with a slide, it would be interesting to know who built the first one with the bed overhang, and how they figured out how to support it.
I have been a tent camper since my Boy Scout days long, long, ago. Now I need to get up off of the cold ground to get a good nights rest, a truck camper seems to be the best choice. I am here to learn as much as I can.

#6 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • Local time: 02:47 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

Classically, the top header carries the majority of the load from the cab-over, transferring it into the verticals and the truss cross pieces.   In classic built units, this was generally a 2x6 running the length of the rig.  

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In