Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

Is worth it to upgrade factory rear sway bar to Hellwig.

7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Local time: 10:09 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 02 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Has anyone upgrade their factory OEM rear sway bar to a heavier bar such as the Hellwig?

And did it make any noticeable difference?

#2 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • Local time: 12:09 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

Wished I could say there is a vast imptovement , but I never drove our Ram without it on the truck The Ram been carring the TC off and on sence new.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#3 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 01:09 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

I can't imagine that it would be a dramatic improvement.  An improvement certainly, but only at or beyond the limit of the OEM sway bar's capabilities.  

#4 OFFLINE   bbmt

bbmt

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 07:09 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:S&S
  • Truck Make & Model:1991 chevy k2500
  • Name (Public):bob

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:19 PM

Yes,yes and yes.Being a mechanic most my life,it is a good investment.Just a 5% difference becomes very noticeable after 2 hours on the road.Most factory sway bars are set up for driving an empty truck,as that is how most americans use them.Just my observations.

#5 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IN
  • Camper Brand:2006 arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 1ton Dually CTD
  • Name (Public):Ted Webster

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

I TOTALLY agree with BBMT. My one ton 2005 ram comes with a factory anti roll bar in the front, I added the Helwig Big Wig for the rear suspension.

Cruizing by semi trucks is no problem at all, neither are the mountain passes or curvy mountain roads. Just gotta remember not to drive too fast, going into the curve can be a little unsettling at time when you realize it on the back end instead of preparing for it on the front end, ask me how I know!  If you've ever been down Yarnell Hill going south out of Prescott,AZ you'll understand.

#6 OFFLINE   McGyver

McGyver

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 06:09 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Arizona
  • Camper Brand:1991 Six Pac 78
  • Truck Make & Model:1965 Chevy C-10

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

I TOTALLY agree with BBMT. My one ton 2005 ram <<<Snipped>>> If you've ever been down Yarnell Hill going south out of Prescott,AZ you'll understand.

LOL...never done it with a camper, but have been down (and up) it on my Harley...That can be bad enough if you aren't prepared for it.

#7 OFFLINE   Jknight611

Jknight611

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 07:09 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ms
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Adventurer
  • Truck Make & Model:2500 Chevrolet Duramax

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

I have a 2009 2500 Duramax crew with a Northstar Adventurer. We are nearing to top of our load capacity and I added a Hellwig Big Wig swaybar, it did help the stability of my truck with the camper loaded. But when the truck is unloaded, it rides like a buckboard! Not sure if it is a reasonable compromise.

#8 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:37 AM

I have a 2009 2500 Duramax crew with a Northstar Adventurer. We are nearing to top of our load capacity and I added a Hellwig Big Wig swaybar, it did help the stability of my truck with the camper loaded. But when the truck is unloaded, it rides like a buckboard! Not sure if it is a reasonable compromise.

I installed one on my truck, and even at the stiffest setting, I didn't notice ANY difference in the ride.  Then again, the Ford Super Duty was NEVER known for a smooth Cadillac like ride.  There's no denying it's a truck.  HOWEVER, the handling and body sway are definitely improved when fully loaded and it actually DOES ride like a bit more like a Caddy when it's loaded.  ;-)

I have a friend that bought an F250 similar and his wife HATES it because in her words, "It rides like a TRUCK!".  I told him, EASY fix, a couple thousand pound of sand bags in the back and your wife will love it !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In