• NATCOA Members
  • 740 posts
  • Local time: 06:07 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:25 PM

what was your first truck camper?

ours was a Weekender. I think because it was in the early 1970's. probably about 1972 or so. it was a 11 or 12 foot. No toilet, shower. we had a porta potty. NO frig, had an ice box. You had to pump the water. Had it on a 3/4 ton Ford pick up. I think it was a F250.

we had 3 kids and they slept everywhere. Also had a boot that you could crawl thru from the camper into the truck, remember in those days there were no extended cabs, so the kids rode in camper, they used to lay on the bed and look out the front window as we drove down the rod. You could pass stuff from  the truck / camper as you drove down the road.

Had 4 corner jacks that you had to crank up. Do not remember  the weights, but in those days no one seemed to care. No air bags, etc.

We have had 5 different truck campers over years, the one we now have will be the last.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#2 OFFLINE   Budster

Budster

Founding Member - Former Director

• Founder
  • 1695 posts
  • Local time: 04:07 AM
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Lazy Daze 30IB
  • Name (Public):Jerry

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:57 PM

My first camper was an 8 1/2 foot Beaver. Very high quality. I used it for 24 years, no leaks, no broken appliances, all interior hardware was still in working order. It also had a boot (custom made) that you could crawl thru from the camper into the truck, Kid rode in the camper mostly. It had hydraulic jacks, they worked well for the life of the camper. I would estimate that we put 95000+ miles on that camper. Went all around the US and Canada. Much fun. Finally my truck broke down and wasn't worth the cost to fix it. I donated it and the camper for a tax break.

ymmv,
Jerry

00 30IB Lazy Daze
Mira Loma, CA
Visit My Website

#3 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Local time: 03:07 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:28 PM

Our first camper was an early 70's vintage. Very basic but it had a 5 gallon fresh water tank and a heater. It also had an ice box. It did not leak and was super light...not hard with not much amenities. lol. We loved it and used it a lot. We started our tcing early 2000. SO it was an old camper when we got it. Several great memories in that camper though. I do not remember the brand, it was an 8' camper with a cab over.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#4 OFFLINE   Chief 2

Chief 2

Poster

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Florida
  • Camper Brand:2015 Lance 1172
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevrolet 3500

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:23 AM

Mine was a 2005 Lance 1181. Loved it.

#5 OFFLINE   Billyray58

Billyray58

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Texas
  • Camper Brand:2014 Adventurer 910 DB
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CTD
  • Name (Public):Billyray58

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:42 AM

My First was 2004 Palomino 10' 1000 hardside.

#6 OFFLINE   gandydancer

gandydancer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 118 posts
  • Local time: 05:07 AM
  • State/Province or Region:KS
  • Interests:Backpacking, bicycling, boating, camping, canoeing, fishing, hiking, hunting, kayaking, rafting and travelling
  • Camper Brand:2012 Travel Lite 960RX
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas
  • Name (Public):John Patterson

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:52 PM

Started truck camping back in 2005 when I bought my first camper, a brand new Sunlite 800 SE, from a dealer in Columbus, KS. It was a basic camper with an east/west bedroom in the cab-over, a three burner stove top, 2 cu. ft. refrigerator, sink with a hand pump, dinette, a closet but no bathroom. I used that camper for seven years at various lakes around the area and several one to two week trips when I got the chance and then traded it off for the one that I have now.  

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas

2012 Travel Lite 960RX

Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load Maximum Security Cargo Tray

Champion Power Equipment 73540i 2000 watt portable inverter generator

Timbren SES

Curt front mount hitch receiver

Time flies when you're having fun or is it time's fun when you're having flies     

#7 OFFLINE   Rangergord

Rangergord

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:Bigfoot 2500 9.6
  • Truck Make & Model:1997 Dodge Ram 2500

Posted 27 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

what was your first truck camper?
ours was a Weekender. I think because it was in the early 1970's. probably about 1972 or so. it was a 11 or 12 foot. No toilet, shower. we had a porta potty. NO frig, had an ice box. You had to pump the water. Had it on a 3/4 ton Ford pick up. I think it was a F250.
we had 3 kids and they slept everywhere. Also had a boot that you could crawl thru from the camper into the truck, remember in those days there were no extended cabs, so the kids rode in camper, they used to lay on the bed and look out the front window as we drove down the rod. You could pass stuff from  the truck / camper as you drove down the road.
Had 4 corner jacks that you had to crank up. Do not remember  the weights, but in those days no one seemed to care. No air bags, etc.
We have had 5 different truck campers over years, the one we now have will be the last.

That reminds me of my first experience in a truck camper riding in the cab over as it went down the road and the pass through window into the truck cab. I remember sitting and eating inside it and that it was warm and dry unlike a tent! Was 7 or 8 in early 70's. Was an Okanogan I think. The first camper I have owned is the one I just bought last fall, my Bigfoot 2500. It really makes for a totally better experience than a 70's era camper I am sure.

#8 OFFLINE   skippysrv

skippysrv

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA - Washington
  • Camper Brand:arctic fox
  • Truck Make & Model:dodge ram 3500
  • Name (Public):Scott Valentine

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:51 PM

I had the use of a early 1960's Dreamer Truck Camper about 10 ft for our honeymoon in 1971 to Mount Rushmore, Custer's Battlefield, Yellowstone Park and back to Colorado. Eventually we owned that camper and used it for many a trip including a trip to Alaska. The light for inside was a gas lamp that heated the entire camper but it still had a huge propane wall heater, and a hand pump for the water. An icebox and no bathroom, but it seem  to work for us at the time. When we had kids they also rode in the camper on the overhead bed looking out the windows. Since then we've own 1999 Elkhorn, a 2007 lance, and we have now a 2006 Arctic Fox. Don't know how we lived without the dry bath.

#9 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

I was working at the time for Dreamer in Duncanville Texas. Really enjoyed working there, I installed the alum on the TC and  the class C's of that time. Was able to buy our first one right off the line. It also turn out to be the last set of TC to be built in that plant they closed the plant later that year 1976 and the plant were I transfered to in City of Industry Ca where all lines of Dreamer would be bluilt. Last year being built was 1979, here is a link about Dreamer>  https://www.tincanto....php?id=dreamer  >and<  http://www.nadaguide...r/Truck-Campers >

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#10 OFFLINE   PACK4TAG

PACK4TAG

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 56 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IA -AZ
  • Camper Brand:2001 825 LL EC Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:15 FORD 250 BRONZE GAS W/TAG
  • Name (Public):Roy

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:56 PM

Around Lake Michigan

Attached Thumbnails

• 1963-1968.JPG
  • 1963-1968-2.JPG

#11 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 06 April 2017 - 05:30 AM

Our first was a used mid-70's Coachman.  Even though always stored indoors, the multi-piece aluminum roof had leaked and I learned later the framing in the wings was rotten.  The second was a 9 1/2' Cascade that we used for 14 years.  We now have a 1012 Lance 1050 (non-slide). 

#12 OFFLINE   Chrome20

Chrome20

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 11:07 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Nevada
  • Name (Public):Tony

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

Around Lake Michigan

Nice!

#13 OFFLINE   Squish

Squish

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 12:07 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Ca

Posted 14 April 2017 - 12:12 AM

When I was a kid my folks had a Chinook about a 1969-1972ish.

My own first camper is the one we have now. A Bigfoot 1500
Perfect first time camper.

#14 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:44 PM

The first truck camper I remember was back in the 70's and it was a Frolic. A family friend owned it. I remember riding in the cabover bunk going down the highway and looking out the front window. Shocking, I know! 

But my own first truck camper was a 2002 880SC Pastime. Sold it 2012 (I think) to a guy from Canada. It was a good camper. Picture is of the first day we picked it up. We were the second owner.

TC1.JPG

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#15 OFFLINE   McGyver

McGyver

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 11:07 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Arizona
  • Camper Brand:1991 Six Pac 78
  • Truck Make & Model:1965 Chevy C-10

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

My parents owned a TC years ago. It was mounted in the back of a pickup bed trailer and they hauled it behind the truck. Don't remember what brand it was. This was in like 71 or 72...

Now I own a 1991 Six-Pac model 78S that I picked up on craigslist for $400. Everything in it worked except for the Pla-Cool Evaporative Cooler (long since obsolete) which I removed and replaced with a fan. Did some major cleaning on it (mostly just dirt and dust from Arizona's dust storms), repainted the insides and it It is currently sitting in the back of my 1965 Chevy C-10 pickup.

Getting ready to take it out the 1st weekend of June for a nice trip to Prescott AZ. Eventually, I will probably sell it...but for now, It is MUCH better than any tent!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In