Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

Performance engine filters

12 replies to this topic

Poll: Performance engine filters (10 member(s) have cast votes)

DO you think that performance engine filters are the way to go?

1. YES (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. NO (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

3. I do not know, never used them before (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Local time: 12:47 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:45 PM

​Do you use a K&N style filter? What are your thoughts on them?

Air flow is very important to the performance of the engine. The truck I have now came with one, I have never used a K&N filter before. Today I had to clean and recharge the filter. No big deal really.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#2 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:31 AM

Opps...sorry...I had a setting wrong so no replies could happen. It is fixed (thanks Rich C.).

www.thetclife.com

#3 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 12 February 2017 - 06:57 AM

The previous owner of our 2014 Jeep installed a K&N filter.  I don't know how to clean it and I'm sure it needs it.

How is it done?

quartzsite2017jeeping-2857.jpg

At Quartzsite, 2017, RV's camped in distance are a few of the 10,000+ RV's in attendance.

#4 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 447 posts
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 12 February 2017 - 07:43 AM

They make a service cleaning kit. First is solvent to rinse old oil and dirt from the cloth pleats. Then when it is dry you re-oil with the Red K&N oil. Just don't overdo it with the oil.

I've had probably half a dozen K&N filters on various vehicles over the years. Currently the only oil/cloth filter I'm running now is in the Corvette and it is not a K&N.

From what I've read over the years a good factory air filter is better then a K&N as it filters better but the aftermarket oil/cloth units allow more airflow which gives a slight power increase but in turn allows smaller dirt specs to enter the engine. Oil/Cloth units are reusable of course.

Last fall I picked up a new factory replacement paper unit for the Ford F-550 from an auto parts store down in Lewiston, ID. The list was $135.00 for a filter. Not from a dealer. He asked if I'd taken my heart medication for the day before telling me the price. The manager gave me a huge discount down to like $45.00 for my service in Law Enforcement for over 20 years.

George
Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#5 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

The K&N filter recharge kit was $12 at my local NAPA. It took about 1 1/2 hours to complete. That includes drying time. After cleaning it, it needs to be completly dry before applying the oil. Then the you need to have it sit for a good 20 minutes befor einstalling. That 1.5 hours only included about 20 actual minutes of work, the rest was drying time.

I did need to clean my filter twice as it was pretty dirty. Also, I only put oil on the outside (upstream side) part of the filter. I watched a few videos that recommended doing that.

www.thetclife.com

#6 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 12 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

Take white t-shirt and wipe the inside of your intake. If you are getting dirt in the intake tract, your K&N is not doing its job. Most of the guys in dusty environments do not like them, but the performance guys have better feedback. If your K&N is still in your air box, it will not make much flow difference. If it is set up as a Cold Air Intake, it flow better but will also make intake noise when operating.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   Chief 2

Chief 2

Poster

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Local time: 03:47 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Florida
  • Camper Brand:2015 Lance 1172
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevrolet 3500

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:13 AM

Good advice from Bedlam. I use an Airaid and I check my intake hose everytime I clean and reoil my filter.

#8 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:37 AM

A good friend had one on a smallblock Silverado a few years ago. His assessment was that whatever change there might have been in output wasn't worth listening to it. For whatever it's worth...

#9 OFFLINE   hodag

hodag

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1040
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 F350, Crew, 8' bed Diesel
  • Name (Public):Hodag

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

On Ford 6.7 Diesels, beware of after market air filters. They may not have rigid enough structure and get sucked into the turbo. That being said, I am a K&N fan. But not after seeing the one for the 6.7.

#10 OFFLINE   Rangergord

Rangergord

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Local time: 01:47 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:Bigfoot 2500 9.6
  • Truck Make & Model:1997 Dodge Ram 2500

Posted 21 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

My Cummins 5.9l has an AFE deisel power performance air filter. It looks cool as hell and I did not have to pay for it like the previous owner. Can't see any major advantage to having it though. Also have a performance 4 inch exhaust that will blast anyone in its path with a wall of powerful sound but has no real performance benefit but lots of bragging rights! Performance is often NOT practical or economically, beneficial. If you do some reading on the performance pickup forums it is common knowledge that performance filters and exhaust for that matter do not show real world dyno tested performance increases claimed by performance manufacturers. Negligible performance for a large outlay but everyone has to have one to be cool, so don't be a chump and cough up for a K & N already. Lol!

Edited by Rangergord, 21 February 2017 - 09:28 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IN
  • Camper Brand:2006 arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 1ton Dually CTD
  • Name (Public):Ted Webster

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:46 PM

The previous owner of our 2014 Jeep installed a K&N filter.  I don't know how to clean it and I'm sure it needs it.

How is it done?

attachicon.gifquartzsite2017jeeping-2857.jpg

At Quartzsite, 2017, RV's camped in distance are a few of the 10,000+ RV's in attendance.

Rich, while I voted for performance filters, I would strongly recommend removing the K&N as it does flow better, it also lets more dirt through. There are very good "nanofiber" filters out there that are cleaned using simple compressed air--low pressure--then replaced after several years. Amsoil used to carry them, and I think they were made by Donaldson---but I could be mistaken on this.  K&N sells filter cleaning kits that can usually be purchased from your typical autozone stores

#12 OFFLINE   Chief 2

Chief 2

Poster

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Florida
  • Camper Brand:2015 Lance 1172
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Chevrolet 3500

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:11 AM

My Cummins 5.9l has an AFE deisel power performance air filter. It looks cool as hell and I did not have to pay for it like the previous owner. Can't see any major advantage to having it though. Also have a performance 4 inch exhaust that will blast anyone in its path with a wall of powerful sound but has no real performance benefit but lots of bragging rights! Performance is often NOT practical or economically, beneficial. If you do some reading on the performance pickup forums it is common knowledge that performance filters and exhaust for that matter do not show real world dyno tested performance increases claimed by performance manufacturers. Negligible performance for a large outlay but everyone has to have one to be cool, so don't be a chump and cough up for a K & N already. Lol!

If you are running any kind of tuner in your truck it is imperative that you increase your air in and exhaust out to keep your exhaust and turbo temps down. That is why the cold air intake units and large exhaust are needed.

#13 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:45 AM

Thanks.  I found the K & N YouTube video on how to clean their filter.  Went to Autozone, bought the cleaning kit,

The filter from the Jeep was thick with dirt.  It cleaned up very nicely though.

I put it back on and got a big psychological boost.  It really does seem to have more pickup power.  Maybe my right foot got bigger.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In