8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts
  • Local time: 06:34 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 12 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

​ The first week of April is my sons spring break. So we have basic plans to do a loop drive...about an 1100 mile loop drive that is. Our plans are to leave Spokane Washington...head towards Butte Montana then head south towards Arco Idaho. From there head west through Boise Idaho then North up to Lewiston Idaho and then back home.

​ We have no real plans on where to stop but a couple ideas. We want to stop at the prison museum in Deer Lodge MT. Maybe the hot springs in Anaconda. A stop in Arco to see the first  nuclear power plant. A stop at the Craters of the Moon. Other than that...no idea really. We are always on the lookout for breweries, wineries and historical places.

​ So if anyone has any thoughts on spots to see along that route, let me know. We really can not stray from the route much as we only have a week to explore. We are not making reservations or anything. Should not be a problem that time of year anyway. There might be some spots closed and not open for the season yet though. If we get sidetracked and love a spot we stopped at and do not make the entire loop...so be it. We are looking forward to it.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#2 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 829 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:25 PM

Butte is fun.   We've never had any problems just parking overnight up on campus above the museum and got a great view of town. The museum of Mining is interesting.  Butte is known for pasties (we like Town Talk  bakery's) and pork chop sandwiches.  

The campground by Fairmont Hot Springs is nothing we like. If Lost Creek State Park is open, it is close enough the drive doesn't wear you out after a good long soak, quiet camping and beautiful.  There are some funky bars in Anaconda.  Consider taking the Pintler Scenic highway.

Dillon is home to Great Harvest Bakeries and has a Patagonia Outlet.  We can just roam the hills and ghost towns around there for weeks in the summer.  If you are really roaming, head up to the Red Rocks Wildlife Refuge.  If Cody read Trumpet of the Swan in school, that is where it was based.  I once got to see a golden eagle there up close and personal- thankfully through the windshield as it was way wider than the Subaru.

Great trip trip to plan!

#3 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:47 AM

Thank you, I knew you would have a few ideas. We have stayed in the Butte area...oh...about 12 years ago. I never have made it to the mine museum. That would be great to do. I like the free parking idea you mentioned with a town view.

The ghost towns south of there would be a fun stop but I will have to research to see if they will be open that time of year.

Anything else comes to mind let me know. I have never been past the turn of for Wisdom Montana and further south, or through that part of Idaho to Boise either.

www.thetclife.com

#4 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 472 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 14 January 2017 - 02:54 PM

I need to spend more time in Butte if the woman are only wearing "pasties". First I've heard of this. Must be a local secret you have let out. LOL Made me chuckle. If you can send photos.

Thanks.

George
Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#5 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:24 AM

I need to spend more time in Butte if the woman are only wearing "pasties". First I've heard of this. Must be a local secret you have let out. LOL Made me chuckle. If you can send photos.

Thanks.

George

​George, I found a picture of a visitor there for you. Apparently they were celebrating the Packers win while visiting. Enjoy.

pasties

www.thetclife.com

#6 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 472 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 17 January 2017 - 05:34 AM

LOL
Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#7 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:33 AM

Looking at Dillon for a stop...maybe pay the fees at the KOA. It would be a good recharge and dump the tanks spot. It appears that Bannack state park is open year round. While the visitors center will be closed we could still walk the townsite.

www.thetclife.com

#8 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:50 AM

In Butte, I am checking with a brewery to see if staying in our camper in thier parking lot is okay. I know a lot of breweries are okay with it...as long as you do not..."spread out" and are gone the next day. We have had a few breweries tell us to just camp out there. Another great thing about a truck camper and only taking up a small space. Hopefully the brewery I sent a message to is okay with it. It is right in "uptown" Butte...walking distance to other things.

www.thetclife.com

#9 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:04 AM

The brewery I was checking out in Butte for parking over night said sure, no problem. Just another great thing about being a small footprint size RV...ease of parking.

With planned stops in Arco Idaho and Craters of the Moon state park my little bit of checking things out for our route is the Boise Idaho area now. We will then head north from there to McCall.

Prettyy much have stops in mind figured out though. If it were more time off we would explore more of course.

www.thetclife.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In