7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ATPringles

ATPringles

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 392 posts
  • Local time: 07:37 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WY
  • Interests:Backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, taking trips, sewing, reading, symphony music
  • Camper Brand:Palomino
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Dakota
  • Name (Public):Beth

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:05 PM

I'm considering taking a trip to the Grand Canyon (South Rim). I'd be staying in one of the park campgrounds, and have been looking at making reservations. Are there any preferred loops? I'm not sure if I'm taking my camper or my tent, so I'm hoping for a loop that can have either a tent or a camper. On a trip to Florida a couple of years ago, you folks made great suggestions, so I thought I'd come back and ask the experts again! Thanks, Beth

#2 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3727 posts
  • Local time: 06:37 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 30 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

Never been there but it is on my list. Looking to see suggestions as well.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#3 OFFLINE   ATPringles

ATPringles

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 392 posts
  • Interests:Backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, taking trips, sewing, reading, symphony music

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:33 PM

If you've never been there, you might also want to plan a stop at Lee's Ferry, which is upstream. There's a little campground, and it's near the Colorado. The campground is just downstream from where Grand Canyon rafting trips launch. If you want a very short version of rafting the GC, there is a one day motorized raft trip available from Page, AZ. It takes you down to the base of the dam, then you raft about 15 miles downstream to Lee's Ferry. You stop in the middle and see a wall of pictographs (or petroglyphs, I forget which). There's no whitewater, but the scenery is nice. I've rafted the Grand Canyon, and I've done that little trip I mention (Glen Canyon), and for around $100, it's a nice one-day "substitute."

#4 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2139 posts
  • Local time: 05:37 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 01 December 2016 - 06:04 AM

We stayed at the GC campground about four years ago.  All the loop campsites are much the same except that some are more level than others.  But you should be fine in any of them with a TC or tent.  

#5 OFFLINE   ATPringles

ATPringles

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:42 PM

Thanks for the info!

#6 OFFLINE   jeff

jeff

Poster

• INTCOA Members
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 11:37 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Queensland
  • Camper Brand:Coronet
  • Truck Make & Model:Holden Rodeo 2004

Posted 01 December 2016 - 10:15 PM

Hi Beth,

We stayed there in 2014 on mad trip across Southern USA by a group of Australians in two rented motorhomes.

Its a great spot. Our only issue was we arrived late (about 8.00pm) having come from a late start in Vegas via the Hoover Dam. When we found our pre-booked ( and paid for) sites there was already a camper (in a TC) on one of the sites. We did not want to make a fuss and there was plenty of room on the other site so we just doubled up. No problem the ranger sorted it out in the morning.

There is bus that takes you to the rim sites. Its all good. We still have fond memories of our first (of many) camp fires in US at that place.

Moral might be to plan to arrive early but LA to Orlando in 35 days does not always make that easy.

All the best

Jeff

#7 OFFLINE   canyonwren

canyonwren

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Local time: 05:37 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Idaho
  • Interests:Traveling, TC Camping, Whitewater Rafting, Geocaching, Flyfishing, Bike Riding, Recumbent Riding, Hashing, and just plain having fun!
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver 9' 6" Super-Slide
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge 3500HD

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:24 AM

We stayed on the South Rim this last April, at Mather Campground. There are no hook-ups at Mather, it is an older campground.The camp spots can be a bit unlevel. They are placed close together, but we didn't feel too cramped. Everything is in walking distance and or shuttle rides from the campground. We really enjoyed our stay. There were not as many visitors at that time so crowds were minimal. 

We also stayed a few days at Lee's Ferry. There are a few camp spots with great views. The main campground is above the river on a bluff to the North, there is a rural camping area by the boaters launch that is set aside for private rafting parties to stay and prep for the canyon trip. We have been lucky and have had the privilege to raft the canyon. Major life event! 

You can find some pictures and descriptions of our trip by following this link.

If you have any questions just let me know.

~Dean

Canyonwren
Post Falls, Idaho
I am retired from North Idaho College.

2005 Dodge 1 Ton, Long bed, SRW (Air Bags, Supersprings & Rancho 9000 shocks, Rickson 19.5 Wheels).
Snowriver 9' 6" Super-Slide, Progressive Dynamics PD9130, 30 amp power converter, Kyocera KC-130, 130 Watt Solar Panels, Solar Boost 2512i from Blue Sky with the IPN-Remote display.

Canyonwren Travels

#8 OFFLINE   ATPringles

ATPringles

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:42 PM

Thank you again, for the information.

Nice pictures Canyon Wren. Congratulations on the private raft trip. I've done two commercial trips, and am just hoping to get a view (again) from the top. I want to take my Helinox chair, and park it somewhere where I can just sit and look out at "the hole." And maybe read a book. :-).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In