DA TOAD

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 09:33 PM
  • State/Province or Region:MA
  • Interests:Fishing and stained glass.
  • Camper Brand:2016 ARCTIC FOX 1140.
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 CHEVY SILVERADO 3500 HD, CREW CAB, 4WD, DUALLY DURAMAX

Posted 09 September 2016 - 11:03 AM

So this is my first year with a TC.....2016 Arctice Fox 1140.  Although I have not even used it yet this year and probably won't get to use it it doesn't look like I am going to be able to sell it either.  :sad0049:

I had a Real Lite TC back in the very early 80's.  It didn't even have a battery of it's own.  It ran off the truck batteries.  We basically just dropped it on my Dad's back lot at a lake.  Never really even used the water or 12V power systems as showers, toilet, and the like we taken care of in my Dad's house and we pulled shore power from his house also.

Anyway I am working up a check list for winterizing and I would like any input I can get from the expertise I see on this forum.

Of course is drain all the water systems and install anti-freeze.

Take anything out that might be damaged by freezing or cause damage by freezing.

Cover the top with a tarp insuring that there is sufficient air flow.

Batteries are a question.  The TC will sit on the side of my garage plugged into power from the garage.  Should I remove the batteries from the camper and bring inside to the warm.  Should I just leave the batteries in the camper with the isolation switch turned to on and turn it on occasionally to charge the batteries?  Maybe  I should just leave the batteries in the camper with the isolation switch turned to off, plugged in all the time with the batteries getting an automatic charge when needed? 

Inquiring Toad's would like advice.

Anything else I should do or worry about.  I never covered or did much of anything with the old camper. 

2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD 4WD Duramax Dually with 2017 Arctic Fox 1140.

#2 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • Local time: 08:33 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:29 PM

Can't speak to the procedures, as there are folks here who have forgotten more about that than I'll ever know. I'm sure that once they have thought about it, you'll have all the information you need. That said, I have just two comments. First, if there is a practical way to do it, I'd get it stored inside. Tarps, covers and such are ok, but you just can't beat having a building around and over it to keep moisture off it. With the freeze/thaw cycles we get in the northeast, water of any form on a camper top is a death sentence for seals. Second, based on about twelve years of experience, I'd get a 40-count box of Bounce dryer sheets, the original scent in the orange box, and I'd scatter them around every compartment of that camper, like I'd scatter rose petals if I was trying to romance Cleopatra! In those twelve years, we've never had a mouse problem. They just hate the scent. Good luck!

#3 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1579 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

A while back I did a survey of a bunch of members of different forums asking what were their winterization dates.   I transferred all the averages to a chart.   Non-Scientific, but interesting to see.

Attached Thumbnails

• Winter.JPG

#4 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1921 posts
  • Local time: 07:33 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:56 AM

quess you and I didnt make the chart lol

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#5 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:23 AM

I take the water line draining an extra step.  A visit to my hardware store found all the threaded bushings needed to convert from the male water hose end down to a Shrade (air) fitting.  After draining my water lines via the TC's built-in drain valves, I blow them clear with 35 psi air.  It takes a lot less RV antifreeze to get bright pink liquid from all my faucets and toilet lines.  Both RV antifreeze and drain valve seal protector is added to the waste tanks. 

Make sure your camper batteries are fully charged and the battery disconnect is in the disconnect position. 

Add rodent repellent to all storage compartments and under sink areas, and scattered over the bed and dinette.  I use a product called "Fresh Cab" but it may be a local product.  It's an herbal mixture that will make your eyes water when you first open the camper/pickup door the next spring.

#6 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1921 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:20 PM

I need to pack foam around my generator in winter to keep birds out they like to make nest in the generator cabneit

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#7 OFFLINE   Squire

Squire

Poster

• NATCOA Members
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Ham Radio, RC Sailboat Racing Marblehead Class
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox 1150
  • Truck Make & Model:F 350 Dually 7.3 Manual 6 spd
  • Name (Public):Jim

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

Can't speak to the procedures, as there are folks here who have forgotten more about that than I'll ever know. I'm sure that once they have thought about it, you'll have all the information you need. That said, I have just two comments. First, if there is a practical way to do it, I'd get it stored inside. Tarps, covers and such are ok, but you just can't beat having a building around and over it to keep moisture off it. With the freeze/thaw cycles we get in the northeast, water of any form on a camper top is a death sentence for seals. Second, based on about twelve years of experience, I'd get a 40-count box of Bounce dryer sheets, the original scent in the orange box, and I'd scatter them around every compartment of that camper, like I'd scatter rose petals if I was trying to romance Cleopatra! In those twelve years, we've never had a mouse problem. They just hate the scent. Good luck!

A couple of cotton-balls soaked in peppermint essential oil works just as well. Keeps all those little buggers out here in New England 

#8 OFFLINE   Squire

Squire

Poster

• NATCOA Members
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Ham Radio, RC Sailboat Racing Marblehead Class
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox 1150
  • Truck Make & Model:F 350 Dually 7.3 Manual 6 spd
  • Name (Public):Jim

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:47 PM

A couple of cotton-balls soaked in peppermint essential oil works just as well. Keeps all those little buggers out here in New England 

I have the ability to shrink-wrap boats so, I'll be doing the same to the the AF,  when winter layup starts. For now its the Fall season to explore all thats available. 

DA-TOAD, I wish you well and the time & ability to enjoy what you have. 

#9 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3727 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:06 AM

A while back I did a survey of a bunch of members of different forums asking what were their winterization dates.   I transferred all the averages to a chart.   Non-Scientific, but interesting to see.

For me in Eastern Washington that chart is about right. While we camp year round still, we do winterize mid October and de winterize in April.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#10 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 15 September 2016 - 05:38 AM

We usually camp thru mld-October and try to get the rigs winterized and put to bed by early November. In the spring, we get them out of hibernation in late April. We try to do the bulk of our camping and our longer-distance trips in May/June, Sept./October, so we miss a lot of the summer madness. Too busy mowing lawn in the summer to go far, anyway!

Peppermint oil, huh? Who knew? Whatever works. We gather the dryer sheets back into the box to use them as intended after winter. They lose a little fragrance, but they still soften the laundry. We heard about it from folks who have permanent camper sites here in NY, but winter in the south.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In