18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3704 posts
  • Local time: 01:54 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:36 AM

​After the Montana rally and once we returned home...we looked for a newer truck for the camper. I would love to get brand new truck but the cost is simply out of my range right now. Yesterday after we got home we went and looked at a truck at a local dealership. The dealership was looking for a specific rig that I wanted before we left for the rally. So it gave them a couple weeks to find something. We are repeat customers and the dealership worked with us perfectly.

​ So we ended up getting a 2004 Dodge Club Cab 1 ton dually with the Cummins motor. It is a 4x4 too and pretty much loaded with options. It appears the previous owner took real good care of it and added options as well. A big option added was a Pacbrake exhaust brake. We ended up getting new batteries in the truck as the ones in it were bad...that was at the dealers cost after the deal was made. So nope, absolutely no cost to us! We will have to buy new tires very soon.

​ Now for the add on equipment needed....I need a new tie down system. Ill of course go with Torklift gear. Ill need the frame tie downs as well as the Fastguns. My other truck used Derringers and they hooked to eye bolts in the flatbed frame.

​ Flatbed...well...no flatbed and I will have a ton of figuring out what to do with my gear. We plan (hope) to be getting a new and bigger camper in 3-4 years from now. The bigger camper we have in mind has a ton of basement storage for all our stuff. We just have to figure out what to do for now.

​ It is great to have the new big boy toy. It makes my other 1 ton look so tiny. lol.

IMG 20160824 185929417 HDR
IMG 20160824 185945078 HDR

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#2 OFFLINE   Shellback

Shellback

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 264 posts
  • Local time: 04:54 PM
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Four Wheel Grandby
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 Silverado 1500
  • Name (Public):Shellback

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:22 AM

NICE!!!

#3 OFFLINE   vanceman

vanceman

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 PM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:golfing water and snow skiing, hiking and biking, gardening camping fishing
  • Camper Brand:2012 northern lite 10-2 cdse
  • Truck Make & Model:03 dodge ram 3500 srw 285 19.5 wheels and tires, road master sway bar, air lift air bags in cab controller, stable loads, tork lift tie downs,pack brake exhaust, ats tranny,4 inch exhaust ats manifold ,aurora 3000 turbo ,afe air intake ,
  • Name (Public):don

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:25 AM

I have a pacbrake exhaust brake on my 1 ton 03 dodge you will really like it. Most of are camping is in Colorado so we are up and down mountain passes all the time. I can go all the way down Loveland pass and not touch the brake once. Go to ats diesels web site they have a lot of performance products for the dodge trucks. Get rid of that puny exhaust system and get a bigger one and the air filter also afe makes a nice one for the dodge and its easy to install yourself. Your truck will run a lot cooler if these improvements are made. You can make some serious power with tis motor and its easy to work on. Hope you enjoy your truck.

#4 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3704 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:29 AM

vanceman -

Thank you for the suggestions. I have always had gas motors and this is my first diesel. I am very familiar with diesels though, I work for International Trucks and deal with diesels daily. Owning one is different though.

www.thetclife.com

#5 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2131 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:30 AM

Wow!  Its an awesome truck.  I bet it feels like Christmas for a month!

#6 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3704 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:36 AM

Wow!  Its an awesome truck.  I bet it feels like Christmas for a month!

lol...sure does! now if Santa will bring me 6 new tires it will be great! Looking at Michelin tires. Looks to be about $1500 for a set of six here in town.

www.thetclife.com

#7 OFFLINE   dubob

dubob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Local time: 03:54 PM
  • State/Province or Region:UT
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Skeet shooting
  • Camper Brand:2011 Lance 992
  • Truck Make & Model:2010 Chevy 2500HD Silverado, 6.0L gas
  • Name (Public):Bob

Posted 25 August 2016 - 01:56 PM

Very nice Rich - too bad you didn't get a REAL truck; a Chevy. :happy0064: 

:usa:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 75 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter,
and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, SRW, 6.0L gas/2011 Lance 992

RVAvitar1_zpsce422a3d.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

Congrats on the nu2u truck! Gotta love that Cummins! I'll be interested in hearing how you resolve the storage thing. It seems like that's always a problem!

#9 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 827 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 PM
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:17 PM

congratulations!

#10 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 97 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IN
  • Camper Brand:2006 arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 1ton Dually CTD
  • Name (Public):Ted Webster

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

​After the Montana rally and once we returned home...we looked for a newer truck for the camper. I would love to get brand new truck but the cost is simply out of my range right now. Yesterday after we got home we went and looked at a truck at a local dealership. The dealership was looking for a specific rig that I wanted before we left for the rally. So it gave them a couple weeks to find something. We are repeat customers and the dealership worked with us perfectly.

​ So we ended up getting a 2004 Dodge Club Cab 1 ton dually with the Cummins motor. It is a 4x4 too and pretty much loaded with options. It appears the previous owner took real good care of it and added options as well. A big option added was a Pacbrake exhaust brake. We ended up getting new batteries in the truck as the ones in it were bad...that was at the dealers cost after the deal was made. So nope, absolutely no cost to us! We will have to buy new tires very soon.

​ Now for the add on equipment needed....I need a new tie down system. Ill of course go with Torklift gear. Ill need the frame tie downs as well as the Fastguns. My other truck used Derringers and they hooked to eye bolts in the flatbed frame.

​ Flatbed...well...no flatbed and I will have a ton of figuring out what to do with my gear. We plan (hope) to be getting a new and bigger camper in 3-4 years from now. The bigger camper we have in mind has a ton of basement storage for all our stuff. We just have to figure out what to do for now.

​ It is great to have the new big boy toy. It makes my other 1 ton look so tiny. lol.

Add a helwig "bigwig"  and upper stabloads, might want to take a look at the rear brake package and axle seals before you get too far along.

#11 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1921 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Need a Big brush guard bumber like mine. It's already paid for it self. Hit Bambi two years ago and played ping pong with its sister on monday.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#12 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3704 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 04:43 AM

Very nice Rich - too bad you didn't get a REAL truck; a Chevy. :happy0064: 

lol! Yeah yeah.... in my opinion there is something I like about Chevy, Ford and Dodge trucks. If they could put a little of each together it would be perfect. In the end....the Cummins is what I wanted.

Hey wait a minute...according to your tag picture...your camper is too ashamed to ride on the back of that Chevy...it is trailered. lol.

www.thetclife.com

#13 OFFLINE   M & S

M & S

Director - Membership

• Directors
  • 80 posts
  • Camper Brand:2011 Arctic Fox, 990,
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Ram, 3500, Diesel, SWD, Ranchero shocks (9000) Air bags, Torklift stableloads upper & lower
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 26 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

Congratulations, I also have a 2004, 2004.5 the difference is in the engine, more horse power in the .5. I think you will like it. I have appx. 34,000 miles on it now. A little under 3,000 miles a year. As you can see I do not drive it a lot as I have been working away from home a lot, been working in Japan for two years. I have the Torklift stable loads ( upper and lower) matter of fact I won the lower in a drawing in Montana. 

#14 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:04 PM

Woot! Woot! Looking forward to seeing it. Gonna load the camper on the new truck for Fall Fest?

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#15 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3704 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

Woot! Woot! Looking forward to seeing it. Gonna load the camper on the new truck for Fall Fest?

If I can get the Torklift gear in time for me to install it...I hope it comes in time.

www.thetclife.com

#16 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1579 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

You're going to like cruising with that diesel.   I have the 4 door, 4x, 2005 model with the Cummins.   It really just hums down the road with the camper loaded.

As others have said, upper and lower Stableloads do fine for me.  No bags or other springs.  I do have the rear anti-sway Big-Wig as well.  Those three things keep it flat in curves.   I too added a Pacbrake and I almost can't stand to drive without it.

In the last couple of years, I've found myself trying to drive 60 mph for most of the trips.  About the only time I travel faster is going through cities on the interstates and bypasses because of aggresive drivers.  I found it's best just to keep up with them until you clear the packs of people on the road.   Overall, I probably end up at about 12.5 mpg.   Some tanks are better, some worse, depending on terrain and traffic.

Congrats on new wheels.    

#17 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3704 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 06:07 PM

Hey Doug, good to "see" you again. Thanks for the reply.

My camper is designed for a 3/4 ton short or long bed. This camper is not very heavy. With my Chevy 1 ton dually it is more truck than needed....as well as this truck. I love extra though! Plus, we will eventually upgrade our camper in a few short years.

Driving around town the Dodge is getting over 17 miles per gallon right now and seems to be still averaging upwards. Next tank fill I will get another calculation. I am anxious to see how it does with the camper.

As of today...I got the camper off of the Chevy, frst time in about 5 years. The dodge, it will be on and off.

www.thetclife.com

#18 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3704 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:15 PM

Just got home from the weekends outing. The new truck did awesome with the camper. We drove up to the lodge at Schweitzer Ski Resort. The power of the cummins on the drive to Sandpoint Idaho and up the ski hill was fantastic. I do have a new love though...the exhuast brake is incredible. Coming down the mountain was great using that brake.

On  my other 1 ton dually (Chevy)...I added absolutley nothing extra for suspension upgrades for my camper....and the Dodge needs nothing as well. I do not have a heavy 11.5 double slide camper. The "squat" with the camper loaded is near nothing and the ride is great. Maybe a new bigger heavier camper will need some upgrades but not at this point with my current camper.

www.thetclife.com

#19 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1921 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:52 PM

You felt what camper did it fall off? kind of power.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In