13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rumi

Rumi

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Northeast Ohio
  • Interests:I have too many... camping,fishing, remodeling our home, muscle cars, martial arts, reading and studying about various topics,being the best husband and dad I can.
  • Camper Brand:Researching...
  • Truck Make & Model:Researching GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Ext. cab

Posted 09 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

Hi everyone!

I've been reading your very informative and helpful site for the last several days. You have a great community of members here so I decided to join you.

This is my first post and thought it appropriate to make it in this forum.

The "Build Quality" thread is full of great shared advice and quality information that's most helpful.

In fact, everywhere I turn here I find excellent posts!

As I've been reading around here I also came across Hempomatic's threads of his despicable nightmare with his brand new Travel Lite!

Add me to the list of those running away from that company's product line after reading his, and the others who posted absolutely atrocious accounts!

So to the topic of this thread, I haven't found anyone talking about a truck camper line made by Host? By their appointments and build in the online photos I've run across they look to be like they should be in any discussion in the top 3-4 namebrands.

Am I missing something?

Jim

- Oh yes, to register I seem to have been taken offsite?   ... rv-forums.org?

Edited by Rumi, 09 August 2016 - 07:27 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:53 AM

We are looking at Host's 2017 or 2018 models to replace our Arctic Fox. Although we have been very happy with our 811, we want features that AF does not offer (side door, dry bath, couch). Lance, Eagle Cap and Host are three that fill our future requirements, but we do not like the Lance construction and layout and saw a decline in the fit and finish of EC last year with hopes it is not a trend. In general, we prefer the choices Host made in its use of slide mechanisms and jacks over EC and are seeing consistent quality out of every Host camper can lay eyes on. Some of these campers can approach 6000 lbs once loaded with gear and water (most are close to 5000 lbs dry when optioned with the popular choices), so you need a substantial truck to carry one safely. We've always loved the quality of the Northern Lite campers, but they also do not offer the features we want.

Host is a small company with less production than the larger brands, so you will not see much feedback when you research them - It's probably better to visit an RV show where you can compare a number of them side by side and see what details strike you between brands. Which Host model interests you?

Although I am not a Host or Northern Lite owner, I would not have reservations suggesting you look at these brands or the Arctic Fox.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 825 posts
  • Local time: 08:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 09 August 2016 - 03:14 PM

There is a used triple slide Host camper we see on our way to the river at Soelter Auto Sales in Billings, MT (406-245-1671).  We could go by and make a video of how they look after a few years wear if you like.  I've been curious at the inside of one.   

#4 OFFLINE   Skyhammer

Skyhammer

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Host Everest
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350 DRW
  • Name (Public):Skyhammer

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

I have a 2012 model Host Everest. I bought it from the factory and watched them build it.

They have changed the floor plan a little since I bought mine.

Customer service is very good, since I go to Bend a lot, I just stop bye if I need a part or have a problem which is rare.

If I were to buy a new unit, it would be the Mammoth.

The Everest has an East-West bed, this gives you a huge nearly 8'X 3' closet in the front overhead. This is wasted space for me. The Mammoth has a North-

South bed which utilizes the space much better.

I would delete the electric fireplace and have have drawers or shelves installed instead.

Regardless of the model, I would get rid of the U-shaped dinette and have two recliners installed. The table would be an oval coffee table type that raises and lowers as needed.

I might also swap out the rear slide couch for recliners.

I have stayed nearly 300 nights in my camper and have never used the toilet. I might delete the toilet and black tank and maybe have them install a larger grey tank. This would give me more bathroom space and I could always get a portable toilet if I ever have the need for one.

Most of my problems have been self inflicted. I tore off the basement door when I left it open when removing the camper and it if got caught on my 42" extension. Host installed a new door and only charged me for the door.

My camper was the first one that used their new drawer latches. They were a complete failure. They could not hold the drawers closed with weight in them. I didn't get 50 miles from the factory when the drawers flew open on a corner and tore out the cabinets with them. They fixed that the same day.

Host installed the fire alarm right over the stove, bad idea, I fixed that.

When you put in the rear slide, there is only about a 1/4" clearance between the slide and the awning switch, porch light switch and electrical panel. The slides will sometimes wiggle a little when you move them. The rear slide took out the switches. Host moved them out of the way and the new models reflect this.

Over a year out of warranty, the main slide switch burned up. It is a rather heavy switch with a lot of copper. A lot of juice flows through this when operating the slides. Host sent me a new one free of charge and it only took a few minutes to install.

I just got back from Bend and stopped in to ask what type of chalking to use, as I thought it might be prudent to re-chalk after 4-5 years. Host gave me several tubes each of the 3 types they use and showed me where to apply it.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

#5 OFFLINE   Rumi

Rumi

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Northeast Ohio
  • Interests:I have too many... camping,fishing, remodeling our home, muscle cars, martial arts, reading and studying about various topics,being the best husband and dad I can.
  • Camper Brand:Researching...
  • Truck Make & Model:Researching GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Ext. cab

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:26 PM

Wow! I'm so impressed. You guys are incredibly helpful.

kayakin, thanks for your great offer!  Like you I'm curious too. Sure, if you do check it out, shoot a video; I'd like to see it. (year & model)  :thumbs_up:

Skyhammer, thanks for the great, detailed review! Its good to know that they do custom builds.

Edited by Rumi, 11 August 2016 - 06:26 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:18 PM

- Oh yes, to register I seem to have been taken offsite?   ... rv-forums.org?

Are you still having issues with the site? I haven't seen anything previously about rv-forums.org. If so, I would like our tech people to check into it.

Thanks.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#7 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

Ive seen the Mammoth and Everest and Wow dont realy cover it. A odd set up on the black tank. They put the tank in the slide so to dump it have to either make two dumps or get a y fitting for your hose. I spoke with them once and they will place the wardrobe in the cab over on both models if asked for it. But at almost 60k you need to step up your game to stay around.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#8 OFFLINE   Jillneddie

Jillneddie

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Ms
  • Interests:Fishing,hunting, camping, travel,grand kids
  • Camper Brand:2014 artic fox 992
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 3500 cc longbed, diesel srw, 4&&4
  • Name (Public):Eddie

Posted 28 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

I am a Artic fox 992 owner and really like it. A the Midwest truck rally I got to see the Host mammoth. What a awesome camper. The only thing we don't like about the 992 is lack of sitting space and uncomfortable dinette. We talked to a dealer in Phoenix about a Cascade a double slide that I think our gmc 3500 srw can carry. We did have a little sticker shock at the list price. We are going to weigh our options. I wonder how much these guys will deal? The weight of the Cascade is almost identical to the 992. Eddie

#9 OFFLINE   Skyhammer

Skyhammer

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Host Everest
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350 DRW
  • Name (Public):Skyhammer

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:13 PM

Host moved the black tank in the Everest and Mammoth a few years ago when they changed the floor plan. My 2012 model doesn't have any tanks in the slide. I doesn't matter to me, as I have never had anything in my black tank.

I bought my camper direct from Host.

The base price was $39k, they added a little over $16k in options. Then they took off a little over 21% for an out the door price of $43.8k.

#10 OFFLINE   Jillneddie

Jillneddie

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

I wonder if a dealer would give 21 percent off. I know the Mark up of these units must be high. Likely let this is a special order item as you wo t find find many in inventory and equipped the way you want. Thanks for info skyhammer.

#11 OFFLINE   Jillneddie

Jillneddie

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

With these Host campers being priced so high, how can you get a fair price? I just got a quote from one dealer that was shockingly high,

#12 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 447 posts
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:30 PM

Back in 2006 I was shopping for my current camper.  Visited a Host dealer north of SEA.  It was the RV show time in SEA and even with the show discount they were over priced for my taste.  They most likely use the same appliances and components the other manufacturers do so the issues are still there for $10K or more.   Like buying a Mercedes with Chevy components.     Now days everything is expensive.   

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#13 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

I shopped four dealers and found Apache RV in OR and Tom's Camperland in AZ to be the most competitive on price. Mine was a clean deal with the build sheet complete and no trade or financing to murky up the price, so you may get more variance based on how you plan to purchase yours.  Send me a private message if you want deal directly with the owners of either dealership.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#14 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 10:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:52 PM

Rumi, 

We're just finishing up a two month camping trip cross country.  I have had some issues with some of the components, so that isn't the fault of Travel Lite, however .............

The 2nd day in, I set the dinette into a bed for a night to two.  I sat down on the damn thing and it collapsed under me and I banged my head pretty hard.  

A water leak dripped onto the water pump shorting out the pressure switch and blowing the fuse.  It's actually a good thing that it happened or I wouldn't have known there was a leak.  This whole thing is made out of particle board, once it's wet for any period of time, it just disintegrates.  

The roof is now bubbling up in several places, a dealer in Minnesota said the roof may have to be replaced,  so I have to figure out what to do, about that, patch it, or replace the section that failed.  

I can go on for a while, but no point in beating a dead horse.  Everyone here is well aware of how I feel about Travel Lite, and anyone that has done their homework knows they are garbage.  

Also, for the record, ALL of the in warranty repairs have been done by me.  Travel Lite offered to look at it when they had a chance if I just dropped it off.  That's 2 round trips at 1000 miles each, plus meals plus lodging.  That's $900 in gas alone. 

ken

Edited by Hempomatic, 12 August 2017 - 06:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In