Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

The Travel Lite Saga continues ...........

12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 10:01 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:55 AM

SIGH ............... 

WHY is this company still in business?  Little by little, my poor camper continues it's path to self destruction.  Cabinet hinges continue to fail, the air conditioning quit, that kind of sucked during the first 90+ degree days in North Carolina, all interior molding is beginning to peel away. The window shades have failed because they are screwed into a pressed cardboard.  Something is leaking onto the floor by the bathroom.  It only leaks if the tank is relatively full and I'm driving, so it may be a gasket, no way to say for sure yet.  

Bottom line, for every 7 day trip I spend 1 or two days making repairs.  

With the exception of the A/C, the problems are generally small, just VERY aggravating. It's now out of warranty, so I'm on my own.  Just think, in only 9 years, it will be ALL MINE !!!!  LOL.  This is the crap I wanted to avoid when I bought NEW rather than USED. Fortunately, I'm a retired HVAC tech. I woke up at 2:00 AM to a horrendous noise, climbed up on the roof with a flashlight in my mouth, to find a broken condenser fan blade and fan motor mount.  An internet order for a new fan blade, a trip to Home Depot to get some stuff to cobble up the repairs, and voila.  Trust me, MY repair is superior to the factory motor mounting, albeit slightly less resilient resulting in a slight increase in motor vibration noise.  

Live and learn.  Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent ...... again.   

ken

Edited by Hempomatic, 19 July 2016 - 03:19 AM.

#2 OFFLINE   DA TOAD

DA TOAD

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 11:01 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MA
  • Interests:Fishing and stained glass.
  • Camper Brand:2016 ARCTIC FOX 1140.
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 CHEVY SILVERADO 3500 HD, CREW CAB, 4WD, DUALLY DURAMAX

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:10 AM

That sucks.  :mad0034:

2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD 4WD Duramax Dually with 2017 Arctic Fox 1140.

#3 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • Local time: 09:01 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

Ken I know what I'm about to tell you will suck just sell it at a lost if you can sometimes just have to cut an run.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#4 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IN
  • Camper Brand:2006 arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 1ton Dually CTD
  • Name (Public):Ted Webster

Posted 19 July 2016 - 01:06 PM

Ken I know what I'm about to tell you will suck just sell it at a lost if you can sometimes just have to cut an run.

Totally agree, or find a different one and trade it off. At least this way, your 9 yrs of payments will be toward something you truly enjoy using.

#5 OFFLINE   gandydancer

gandydancer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 118 posts
  • Local time: 09:01 AM
  • State/Province or Region:KS
  • Interests:Backpacking, bicycling, boating, camping, canoeing, fishing, hiking, hunting, kayaking, rafting and travelling
  • Camper Brand:2012 Travel Lite 960RX
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas
  • Name (Public):John Patterson

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

If Ken has nine more years of payments on this camper, then you know he's got a lot of money tied up on a loan that he owes on and selling at a loss would be a bitter pill to swallow for anybody. After all the repairs he's done to his camper and maybe some more down the road he'll surely be one helluva repairman on his rig in that it should be better than when it left the factory. When that happens maybe he'll truly be able to enjoy it.

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas

2012 Travel Lite 960RX

Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load Maximum Security Cargo Tray

Champion Power Equipment 73540i 2000 watt portable inverter generator

Timbren SES

Curt front mount hitch receiver

Time flies when you're having fun or is it time's fun when you're having flies     

#6 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 01:04 PM

If Ken has nine more years of payments on this camper, then you know he's got a lot of money tied up on a loan that he owes on and selling at a loss would be a bitter pill to swallow for anybody. After all the repairs he's done to his camper and maybe some more down the road he'll surely be one helluva repairman on his rig in that it should be better than when it left the factory. When that happens maybe he'll truly be able to enjoy it.

Good Point!  I truly wish him the best, either way.

#7 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

Well, thanks everyone for commiserating ;-)  

At this point, the bottom line is if I can keep the water out, I'm good to go.  That's my next step, some pre-emptive sealing the roof seams with EternaBond.  

Funny coincidence with the "unload it while I can" mentality. Today I got a call from another dealer, this one sells Livin Lite Campers. He offered me a decent price and a trade.  It was the other one I was considering, but this POS was about 2K cheaper and had more storage.  Livin Lite has an all aluminum frame, no wood anywhere, MUCH better built in retrospect.  Live and learn.  

My wife's not a huge fan of the truck camper regardless.  It's larger exterior dimensions are quite a bit larger than the Class B we had, and she's very uncomfortable around town and is also uncomfortable with putting it on and off the Pick-Up.  

What I'll most likely do is either sell this one outright while it still has some market value and sell my pick-up.  My wife drove a small class C after an RV show a few months ago and liked that a lot. Not MY first choice, but she won't even drive what we have except on the highway, so ........... 

Being retired and on a fixed income, I'm reluctant to increase my debt load at all. Decisions, decisions, decisions.  I'm pretty well insured, gee, I sure hope the hold downs are installed correctly  ;-)  

ken

#8 OFFLINE   Happy Hiker

Happy Hiker

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 03:01 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 250

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:53 PM

I have to say that my story is worse than yours. I have spent literally days dealing with and documenting the disaster of my Travel Lite 625 Camper. First I was sold the unit in Appril 2016, new, without full explanation of the damage it had already sustained. Eventually Travel Lite told me it was one of a group with a manufacturing defect that allowed water intrusion. The front filon sagged, and I've had it in repeatedly to have this fixed. On my latest attempt, I got it to an authorized service dealership and got out of the truck to discover the frame had broken at the back driver side tie down, and had pulled away from the truck. 

The camper has been at this dealership torn apart now for over 2 months. They cannot get Travel Lite to respond to them regarding what to do with the unit. They say it will be 30 hours to repair it and recommend I be given a new camper. They couldn't keep it indoors anymore, so they stapled it back together and it is now sitting outside. 

I have filed a complaint with the Indiana BBB and am waiting, I've heard nothing from Travel Lite as yet. I have asked for a full refund or a new trailer. I do not want this or any other camper from them. (Mine also was placed on 2x4s to make it fit on my truck, is this actually an accepted practice? I think it contributed to swaying and the breaking of the flimsy frame.) I have the name of a lawyer to call as my next step. I have had email contact with the president, and phone and email with the state sales rep. But nothing since the 1st of the year, when the president said he'd call me. The last thing the sales rep wrote to me reads as if he were still drunk from New Years. He says that although he knows it's inconvenient, if I could bring the unit to Indiana, he could fix it.

Any recommendations, and all commiserations, are welcome.

#9 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 825 posts
  • Local time: 08:01 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:02 PM

:scared0011:

I just hope that yours and Hempomatic's experiences help someone else avoid such a horrible experience.

#10 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:55 AM

I have to say, in retrospect, some of you guys have gotten screwed WAY worse than I have.  My problems, for the most part, have been relatively small.  I used to keep the camper covered in my yard, but my town decided I could no longer do that, so it's on my truck 24/7, 365.  As soon as it warms up a little bit, I'll continue going cover over ALL of the seams and penetrations with Eternabond.  My concern now is UV issues, and the existing caulk drying out. 

#11 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

Hemp, just throw the cover on it while its on the truck, that will knock down the uv damage.

#12 OFFLINE   Loweern

Loweern

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 04:01 PM
  • State/Province or Region:SC
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite
  • Truck Make & Model:2017 Ram 3500 Diesel
  • Name (Public):Loweern

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:41 AM

OMG! You are scaring me to death. We bought a Travel Lite Illusion 1000. The dealer has had it back for repairs more than we have had it. It was bought with a 10 year loan. I will prpbably be dead before we pay it off and have had it only several months and have actually used it for only 2 nights and three days. We have been to the factory in Indiana to pick it up from the first repair. The factory was disorganized and extremely messy. The first repair was a large crack in an outside wall which was attempted to be hidden under a reflector. My husband discovered it while washing it one day. Who tried to hide it is a mystery. Dealer, manufacturer or transporter???? Very disturbing to say the least. Now it is back at the dealer for multiple problems. I am so upset anout spending $28,000 on a truck camper that seems to be literally falling apart at the slightest touch. I am at a loss as to what to do. Thanks for letting me vent!

#13 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

OMG! You are scaring me to death. We bought a Travel Lite Illusion 1000. The dealer has had it back for repairs more than we have had it. It was bought with a 10 year loan. I will prpbably be dead before we pay it off and have had it only several months and have actually used it for only 2 nights and three days. We have been to the factory in Indiana to pick it up from the first repair. The factory was disorganized and extremely messy. The first repair was a large crack in an outside wall which was attempted to be hidden under a reflector. My husband discovered it while washing it one day. Who tried to hide it is a mystery. Dealer, manufacturer or transporter???? Very disturbing to say the least. Now it is back at the dealer for multiple problems. I am so upset anout spending $28,000 on a truck camper that seems to be literally falling apart at the slightest touch. I am at a loss as to what to do. Thanks for letting me vent!

Loweern, I'm just finishing up a 10 week cross country trip.  I DID have more than my share of issues to deal with, but I'm relatively handy.  I've never had the factory, OR the dealer repair ANY of my issues.  The dealer I purchased mine from obviously knew NOTHING about truck campers and frankly, I wouldn't let them TOUCH it.  At 1 point I was tempted to take it back to the factory, but they wanted me to drop it off until they "had the time to look at it".  That would be 2 round trips totalling the better part of 4000 miles, food, lodging, and 400 gallons of gas, for my free in warranty repairs and no window as to when the repairs would be completed.  !  

A far as what can you do?  NO campers are trouble free, so if you aren't reasonably handy, you're at the mercy of the manufacturer, dealer, and local mechanics.  

Out of curiosity, what kind of issues are you having? 

Travel Lite also has a Facebook page. You should really go there as well to vent, as that audience is significantly larger than this one.  They responded to one of my posts and feigned disappointment and shock that I was having issues.  The factory has been a thorn in my side.  I had electrical issues and they refused to send me a wiring diagram.  In retrospect, I know why, they wire these up without a diagram and basically install the wiring pretty much the same way I trouble shoot, 1 wire at a time.  Pathetic.    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In