#1 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:40 AM

I'm just curious what anyone thinks about the VW diesel debacle and the outcome. I haven't made a crusade out of following the story, but it sounds to me like a bunch of bureaucrats sat around and, in the name of preventing global warming, established an emissions standard that the VW engineers were unable to attain. Now German engineers are, arguably, among the best in the world. If they can't figure-out how to do it, maybe, just maybe, the standard simply cannot be met with the technology available at this time.

So VW figures-out a work-around which allows them to appear to meet the standards and continue to build and sell diesel vehicles. BAD VW! Now, the poor, unsuspecting customers who were duped into purchasing these clearly defective vehicles, and who, by the way, are generally very pleased with them, are each going to be given a $10,000 rebate to punish VW.

I'm astonished that anyone continues to manufacture anything in this political climate.

#2 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 99 posts
  • Local time: 09:36 PM
  • State/Province or Region:IN
  • Camper Brand:2006 arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 1ton Dually CTD
  • Name (Public):Ted Webster

Posted 17 July 2016 - 04:54 AM

Honestly Oliver, 

I believe the debacle is over the fact of the stated Performance, versus the stated emissions to attain that performance. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. Until they get their coal fired power plants to meet the current day needs, and get the carbon footprint of airlines to somewhere even close to that of the personal vehicle industry, they're screaming about drops of water in  a a 1000 gallon tank. While I agree that hiding this is wrong, and should be dealt with severely, I also wouldn't get my vehicle retuned. If you keep your foot out of the right side pedal, the vehicle will get 98% of the way the end goal, and when you need to power to make a safe and successful pass on the freeway, it will be there. 

#3 OFFLINE   wirenut

wirenut

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Local time: 09:36 PM
  • State/Province or Region:VA
  • Interests:boating trains amateur radio
  • Camper Brand:Fleetwood
  • Truck Make & Model:'05 3500 chevy

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

From the little I'v heard the VW owners seem to be happy with their cars. The mileage and power are better with the "cheating" software then they are with the "legal" software. This seems to be a case of the government doing more harm then good with their regulations. Just like the ethanol mandate that makes us use more oil.

Certainly VW was cheating the system and that in itself is dishonest. But, I think the real crime is the excessive regulation by the government. If it weren't for all the government mandated traction control, tire pressure monitoring, multiple air bags, etc., etc. cars wouldn't be so expensive and complicated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In