DA TOAD

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:MA
  • Interests:Fishing and stained glass.
  • Camper Brand:2016 ARCTIC FOX 1140.
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 CHEVY SILVERADO 3500 HD, CREW CAB, 4WD, DUALLY DURAMAX

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:02 AM

I haven't taken any pictures of the camper on the truck yet. Right now it is just sitting on a concrete slab I had installed for it. I have been spending a few hours each day getting familiar with it and how everything works. Last thing was sanitizing the onboard water system. I hemmed and hawed about whether this was needed as we will always be drinking distilled water not from the tank. Onboard water will be used only for bathing, flushing and washing dishes so I was not sure if this was necessary but went ahead and did it yesterday.

Got the camper last Saturday. Truck only settled over the rear wheels 2.75 inches which I thought was phenomenal. Stayed one night at Truck Camper Warehouse (they have 3 sites with full hookups for purchasers to stay and get familiar with their campers).

The 60 mile trip home was uneventful and enjoyable. I did 30 miles on back roads average of 45-50 MPH and 30 miles on the high way at 65 MPH. Truck got 14-15 MPG on both venues.  I'm pretty happy with that.  :P 

All went well till I pulled into my driveway. Took some low hanging branches down from a Japanese maple tree that hangs over the driveway. dry.gif No real damage there.

Then clipped a pine tree also hanging over the driveway on the passenger side with more limbs and needles down. sad.gif No real damage there either).

Then pulling onto the concrete slab I was too close to my garage and clipped the rain gutter with the top bedroom part of the camper. Screwed up front of the gutter and put some good scratches into the side of the caper. ohmy.gif A little touch up paint and it will be good as new. smile.gif 

Don't know what happened but I totally lost my situational awareness for the last 150 feet of the trip home. mad.gif I am laughing now but I wasn't last Saturday. laugh.gif 

So the camper is ready to go. Just have to get some odds and ends to fully equip. Have commitments most days next week so week after next will probably be our first shakeout cruise for a 2 or three day foray. Thinking about going up to Mexico, NY a 270 mile one way trip taking all back roads and doing a little exploring up there.

Will take pics and post back the results of the first trip.

2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD 4WD Duramax Dually with 2017 Arctic Fox 1140.

#2 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1950 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

We all screw up. Theres the height we have a tendence to forget I took the roof of of ours last year and thank god for insurance over 8k for repairs. See some tree triming in your future. First chance you get with it on your truck mesure it from the ground to the highest poini and crave that mesurement into your brain and 3 inchs for safety.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#3 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:04 AM

Well, you're in good company here, I suspect. I know I've trimmed my share of tree branches, and, if you look closely at the awning on our TT, you will see a small tear that was installed by the corner of the rain gutter on the garage! Before long, you develop this expanded sense of presence that goes with driving a larger than normal vehicle, but you have to remember to turn it on. That isn't always easy when the pickup you drive to work every day suddenly become 11' high and 8' wide!

#4 OFFLINE   DA TOAD

DA TOAD

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 CHEVY SILVERADO 3500 HD, CREW CAB, 4WD, DUALLY DURAMAX

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:15 AM

Well, you're in good company here, I suspect. I know I've trimmed my share of tree branches, and, if you look closely at the awning on our TT, you will see a small tear that was installed by the corner of the rain gutter on the garage! Before long, you develop this expanded sense of presence that goes with driving a larger than normal vehicle, but you have to remember to turn it on. That isn't always easy when the pickup you drive to work every day suddenly become 11' high and 8' wide!

We all screw up. Theres the height we have a tendence to forget I took the roof of of ours last year and thank god for insurance over 8k for repairs. See some tree triming in your future. First chance you get with it on your truck mesure it from the ground to the highest poini and crave that mesurement into your brain and 3 inchs for safety.

:lol: Trees are all trimmed and I am buffing out the scratches and wax the camper today.  Wife and I have measured the height to the top of the AC to be 12'4" and have made the determination that anything less that 13' is a turn around and seek alternate route scenario.  :happy0075:

#5 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2157 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:50 AM

With our first TC, new, first day home, I clipped a gutter and put a 1-inch gash in the rear top corner.

A little Bondo filler, a dash of white paint and all was good.

#6 OFFLINE   dubob

dubob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • State/Province or Region:UT
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Skeet shooting
  • Camper Brand:2011 Lance 992
  • Truck Make & Model:2010 Chevy 2500HD Silverado, 6.0L gas
  • Name (Public):Bob

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

:lol: Wife and I have measured the height to the top of the AC to be 12'4" and have made the determination that anything less that 13' is a turn around and seek alternate route scenario.  :happy0075:

Very smart move!   :sign0156: 

:usa:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter,
and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, SRW, 6.0L gas/2011 Lance 992

#7 OFFLINE   gandydancer

gandydancer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 118 posts
  • State/Province or Region:KS
  • Interests:Backpacking, bicycling, boating, camping, canoeing, fishing, hiking, hunting, kayaking, rafting and travelling
  • Camper Brand:2012 Travel Lite 960RX
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas
  • Name (Public):John Patterson

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:29 AM

I know I've clipped a few low hanging tree branches before resulting in replacing the RV gutter extensions that broke off.  I haven't yet clipped the rain gutters of the house so I guess I can consider myself lucky but I have gotten too close to the garage door once and bumped and put a small dent in it with the bumper of the truck. You might want to write the measurements down on a piece of paper of your truck and camper combo and put it on the sun visor for easy reference.   

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas

2012 Travel Lite 960RX

Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load Maximum Security Cargo Tray

Champion Power Equipment 73540i 2000 watt portable inverter generator

Timbren SES

Curt front mount hitch receiver

Time flies when you're having fun or is it time's fun when you're having flies

I never make the same mistake twice as I do it five or six times just to make sure     

#8 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 101 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IN
  • Camper Brand:2006 arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 1ton Dually CTD
  • Name (Public):Ted Webster

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:13 PM

Take that measurement , write it on a sticky, and put it right on the instrument panel inside the cab, or on the rear view mirror, you'll be glad you did

#9 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:14 PM

I hope you are happy with it. I have been quite disappointed with quality issues with my Northwood TT. I think they found a plumber at a local daycare center I have had so many leak issues.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#10 OFFLINE   DA TOAD

DA TOAD

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 01:45 AM

I hope you are happy with it. I have been quite disappointed with quality issues with my Northwood TT. I think they found a plumber at a local daycare center I have had so many leak issues.

Sorry to hear that PigPen.  So far so good with my Arctic Fox 1140.  Everything seems to work fine with no leaks.  Only one problem I have found so far is the manual crank for the slide out.  I can't seem to find the motor brake release for it.  What I think is the release has a roll pin sticking out of the slide out motor that is preventing me from rotating what I think is the release.  I have to return to Truck Camper Warehouse in a week or two to get some things that they still owe and will find out about that then.

#11 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1950 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 03:11 PM

The release is on the back end of the motor its kind of a push and slide over best you have them show you how its done. Only time I ever need to use the release there was no need for the motor had shatered I had to strap the slide in as we drove back from Montana kepet asking the wife is it still in!!! the slide that is dirty mines....found out on the replacement motor.

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#12 OFFLINE   DA TOAD

DA TOAD

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:09 AM

The release is on the back end of the motor its kind of a push and slide over best you have them show you how its done. 

There is a lever on the back side of the motor.  I can't push, or rotate it.  It seems it is supposed to rotate but that roll pin sticking out prevents that. I will try pulling on it today and give that a try.

#13 OFFLINE   butch50

butch50

Vice President / Director

• Directors
  • 182 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AR
  • Camper Brand:2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
  • Truck Make & Model:2017 Ram Mega 3500 Dually
  • Name (Public):Butch

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:57 AM

Congrats on the new CAMPER. Take you time when you are maneuvering it and have another person watch the areas that are hard for you to see. We use 2 way radios for this purpose.

As far as writing down the measurements what I do is use a labeling machine and put my measurements on it and stick it on the dash in a visible place. I have also made one for metric and put it on the dash also. I don't need to try figuring out the conversion when I'm coming up to something that looks questionable.

Have fun!!!

Butch

#14 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1950 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:57 AM

Getting ours in and out of the back yard is harder than loading it I have to use one of those add on mirrows for trailers and fold the truck's mirrows in. Talk about close 1/2 inch clearence at the roof of the house and the awning on the TC.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#15 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2157 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

Getting ours in and out of the back yard is harder than loading it I have to use one of those add on mirrows for trailers and fold the truck's mirrows in. Talk about close 1/2 inch clearence at the roof of the house and the awning on the TC.

Sounds like the roof needs a little trim with the Sawsall.

#16 OFFLINE   DA TOAD

DA TOAD

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:16 AM

Sounds like the roof needs a little trim with the Sawsall.

:scared0011:

#17 OFFLINE   DA TOAD

DA TOAD

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:24 AM

Thanks all.  Camper has just been sitting since we got it home two weeks ago.  I blew out my knee jumping out of my boat.  It's better now though.  Was just a bad time with a lot of things going on with family and friends.  This week is doctors appointments.  We are planning on next week making a shake down run up to Lake Ontario and staying at Selkirk Shores or somewhere else in that area. Going back roads all the way as apposed to 90 and 87 interstate up there.  Will add about 3 hours to a 3.5 hour trip going back roads but for the wife and I the travel on back roads is most of the fun.  Mileage one way will still be about 270 miles.

I have managed in spite of the knees to get a little more that half of the camper waxed with a high grade car wax.  Have bought a lot of odds and ends to equip it right in any kind of circumstance or emergency.  I am sure we forgot something but I think it will be minimal.

One of the things we did was buy a lot of things that were already had but bought them specifically for the camper.  Trying to get the list down to only having to pack and plan on food and minor things for any trips.  Everything will stay in the camper.

Will post back with a report of our first trip....hopefully next week.  :P

#18 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2157 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:55 AM

Our 1140 had the wire basket pantry shelves, (same as our current Lance).

Small items can fall through the wires.

Here's a simple mod for them:

Attached File  shelf1.jpg   96.76KB   0 downloads

Attached File  shelf2.jpg   100.17KB   0 downloads

Attached File  shelf3.jpg   62.66KB   0 downloads

Attached File  shelf4.jpg   49.3KB   0 downloads

Material purchase at Home Depot for approx $10.

You could do the same thing for free with cardboard if you don't mind a cheesy look.  :scared0011:

#19 OFFLINE   DA TOAD

DA TOAD

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:57 AM

Good tip....thanks.  I like cheeze.  :happy0068:

Edited by DA TOAD, 11 July 2016 - 04:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In