• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • Local time: 12:40 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:45 PM

I am at the 3 day seminars put on at Okanagan College in Kelowna BC, Canada. There are held 3rd weeeknd in June and are well worth it, BTW.

I have found out this, a similar facility in Alberta and a smaller one in Florida are the only places in North America for properly training RV technicians. Apart from that there are 3 online courses in the US and a few 5 - 7 day training course. That's it. The RV tech course here is 6 months long

see http://www.okanagan.bc.ca/Page407.aspx

There is no way you can train an RV tech 5 days, anymore than than you can turn out an auto mechanic in 5 days. It explains some of the quality of work I have had done on mine.

It's surpirsing considering the size of the industry, I am guessing most RV techs learn on the job, not spend 1/2 a year in school then go to on the job training. A lot probably come from assembly plant jobs. It explains the butcher job by the dealer on my new RV after I picked it up. (RV Peddlar in Bakersfield who just went bankrupt) It's a real eye opener. I always assumed RV techs were like auto mechanics, they had been to vocational school, then served an apprenticeship. That does not appear to the the case in the RV industry,its a real eye opener. I am spending 3 days here in fairly intense seminars. At best I will be able to have an intelligent conversation with an RV tech. When I see schools advertising how to become an RV tech in 5 days, like this link https://rvtechcourse.com/ it's scary.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#2 OFFLINE   skippysrv

skippysrv

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA - Washington
  • Camper Brand:arctic fox
  • Truck Make & Model:dodge ram 3500
  • Name (Public):Scott Valentine

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:47 PM

Just got back from Okanagan myself. After reading about the get together that you posted I talked my neighbor into going with me. So we packed up the trailers and the wives and hit the road. My neighbor and I both enjoyed the three days of intense seminars. We learned alot about what we have been doing wrong for all of these years of rving and ways to avoid bad stuff on the road. 

It was disappointing that we were the only ones there from "The States". And I'm sorry to have missed meeting you Paul though I did see your rig. I just didn't know it was you. Maybe next year we can meet in person.

The area around Kelowna is beautiful and we took in the sights and hiked the Myra Trestles Trail while we were there. 

Thanks very much for posting about this opportunity. Here's hoping more US residents will come next year. 

#3 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3215 posts
  • Local time: 01:40 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

LOL, nope, most RV Techs state side are about on the same level as a Walmart employee.   Especially if its camping world's :)

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In