• NATCOA Members
  • 463 posts
  • Local time: 11:40 AM
  • State/Province or Region:vermont
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo '06
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel ext cab, short bed
  • Name (Public):anne

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:31 AM

is it possible to add an outdoor shower kit to a TC? how does it work and has anyone done it? any advice? other option is to find a longer shower hose and just take it out the back door?

trying to do this to a 2006 Northstar Laredo.

thanks for any input.

anne

tn_gallery_3117_167_22668.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1950 posts
  • Local time: 09:40 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:37 AM

Anything can be done if you have a dream for it. Most TC have it as being just there.In the last 10 years or more we haven't used ours at all. Quess you could tap in to the lines under the sink or go up to the sink in the bathroom using the same connections the maker does.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#3 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:22 AM

we used our shower once after we got it in '08 and flooded the camper (brain dead). but in reality, its too complicated to use the indoor shower. i have removed the shower folding door, and taken down the shower curtain and put up a few spring loaded curtain rods to hold towels. then there is the other 'stuff' stored in the bathroom and under the floor in the shower drain pan. its just too much work to set everything up, take all that stuff out, then dry everything off & put all back in after.

in the last 9 years we have either stayed at state parks with showers or made do without for a few days when camping elsewhere, but recently purchased 40 acres on the Bayfield peninsula in N.Wisconsin and will be boondocking for a few weeks, so want to think about shower options. I am now thinking the easiest way is to just get an extra long shower hose and run it out the back door. No cutting new holes in the TC somewhere, and no giving up space under the sink for new connections.

P.S. can anyone tell me why my signature link doesnt work?

#4 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 831 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 16 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

it might be cold outside.

On our ex- laredo, we took out that silly door and put on an extra long shower curtain that had some elbow room give and would actually puddle in  the shower pan.  Many showers got taken in it.  Our biggest problem was no gauges and a small holding tank and suddenly we were standing in soapy water

#5 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:42 AM

right. all we had to do was open the grey tank and there wouldnt have been the flood inside,  but it was our first trip in a TC. what did we know? not much, obviously!

i have also taken down the accordian door by the bed which was also in the way and wasnt needed.

#6 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1950 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:58 PM

Attached File  tn_gallery_3117_167_22668.jpg   4.27KB   0 downloads

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#7 OFFLINE   broncocamper

broncocamper

Poster

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Local time: 10:40 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WI
  • Camper Brand:Palomino Bronco
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:09 AM

Just a thought, could you use one of those solar showers?  Fill the bag in the kitchen sink with water temp you like and take it outside to use.

#8 OFFLINE   butch50

butch50

Vice President / Director

• Directors
  • 182 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AR
  • Camper Brand:2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
  • Truck Make & Model:2017 Ram Mega 3500 Dually
  • Name (Public):Butch

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:33 AM

This is funny as we are having an RV built for us now and I just sent an email off to the salesman and requested the outside shower be deleted. I had another one deleted in the past when it was built and I really like not having it and not having to worry about forgetting it when it was time to winterize it. It is also another place I don't have to worry about a water leak. No fittings no leaks normally. We have never used our outside shower in any of our RVs that we have had.

#9 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

Just a thought, could you use one of those solar showers?  Fill the bag in the kitchen sink with water temp you like and take it outside to use.

Yup, that is an option too. right now i am leaning in the direction of cutting the shower hose, splicing in a 20' piece of pvc air hose with a couple of quick-disconnects ( got this handy info from some on-line blog) and then either taking it out the back door or feeding it thru the kitchen window. I guess there will be lots of ways to figure out a shower once we are in the need for one.

#10 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

This is funny as we are having an RV built for us now and I just sent an email off to the salesman and requested the outside shower be deleted. I had another one deleted in the past when it was built and I really like not having it and not having to worry about forgetting it when it was time to winterize it. It is also another place I don't have to worry about a water leak. No fittings no leaks normally. We have never used our outside shower in any of our RVs that we have had.

in 8 years of TCing, dont think we have ever felt the need for one either. But now may be spending 3-5 weeks at a time on a piece of land with no 'facilities', so it may be nice to have something. Guess we could always drive a mile and spend a nite at the nearest campground. Fill water tank, re-charge and take a shower. that may be the easiest solution!

#11 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1584 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

Amcclaran, if you have a low water drain for your hot water and cold water lines, you have the piping already run to the outside of the camper.  In reality, they are just extensions of the camper's water system.  They are merely stopped at the very ends by valves.   

As an experiment, find the low water drain for them (not the onboard water fresh water tank...that's a gravity feed line).    Turn on your water pump, and open the valves.  Does water come out under pressure?  It should.

Your task would be how to attach hoses to those two low point valves and run them to a shower head.  It should be easy if the camper was built where they are accessible.    

Attached are photos of how I made an outside faucet (hot and cold) from my low point drains on my Arctic Fox.  I washed my hands at gas stations with it, filled buckets, washed off the dog, and hooked a hose to it to wash the front windshield of the truck.   You'll get the idea.   The first two pictures show the water drain (Pex lines) and the cutoff valves.  These are pressured and adding the outer valve allowed them to be opened and used like a faucet when the internal water pump was running, or when hooked to city water.

Attached Files

#12 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:44 AM

Hey Atcha-man

i do know where the drain valves are. under the dinette seat. I'd have to somehow run piping under the shower pan to the tail end of the camper to go down thru the floor where the TC overhangs the truck, but maybe it could be done. will have to file this idea away as a possibility- i'll put it in my VSK. Not sure we want to start making those kind of changes to the TC but its a good idea - maybe not something I or my hubby would want to tackle. He'll say "I'd rather spend my ten bucks, walk down to the campground & take a shower. or jump in the lake."

i could also just empty out the wet bath of all the junk, put up the shower curtain and actually use the indoor shower. Bold Concept!

but thanks for this idea.

#13 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 831 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

What about adding a portable gray water tank (blue tank on wheels) to extend you holding tank capacity?

#14 OFFLINE   Lancealot

Lancealot

lancealot

• NATCOA Members
  • 585 posts
  • Local time: 08:40 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Interests:TCing , fly fishing , drag racing ,
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 f-550 XLT crew/4x4
  • Name (Public):Brian

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:49 PM

You could also use a portable tent/shower assy. our son uses with his small Teardrop trailer when he is dry camping . He also has a portable

water  tank heated by propane . The tent / shower is available though Walmart and the heater tank is available though

zodi.com/hot-showers/extreme/extreme-sc.

he showers at least twice a day and has had no complaints with his set up .

CAMPING  where you spend a small fortune , to live like a homeless person .

#15 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:17 PM

What about adding a portable gray water tank (blue tank on wheels) to extend you holding tank capacity?

well, since we will be boondocking on our own land, we can just open the grey water tank & discharge as we are showering.

the real issue is that my hubby is tall and doesnt really fit in the teeny wet bath. and we will be doing a lot of "Manuel" labor on the property and an end-of-day shower will be needed by both of us. May be a few years before we get a well and septic installed.

#16 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:18 PM

You could also use a portable tent/shower assy. our son uses with his small Teardrop trailer when he is dry camping . He also has a portable

water  tank heated by propane . The tent / shower is available though Walmart and the heater tank is available though

zodi.com/hot-showers/extreme/extreme-sc.

he showers at least twice a day and has had no complaints with his set up .

that is another option. but would need to haul in water for a stand-a-lone shower setup.

#17 OFFLINE   Lancealot

Lancealot

lancealot

• NATCOA Members
  • 585 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Interests:TCing , fly fishing , drag racing ,
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 f-550 XLT crew/4x4
  • Name (Public):Brian

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:55 PM

There's a draw back to everything ! You could always hold off and wait for rain . 

CAMPING  where you spend a small fortune , to live like a homeless person .

#18 OFFLINE   Stan

Stan

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1020 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NE
  • Interests:Learning as much as I can.
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:26 PM

Wisconsin is a long way from Vermont. No land available closer? I would use one of those tent like things with a solar bag full of water. Easy Peasy
I have been a tent camper since my Boy Scout days long, long, ago. Now I need to get up off of the cold ground to get a good nights rest, a truck camper seems to be the best choice. I am here to learn as much as I can.

#19 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:56 AM

There's a draw back to everything ! You could always hold off and wait for rain . 

True! and the added benefit would be that after a few days, we wouldnt have to worry about neighbors stopping in for a chat!

#20 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:02 AM

Wisconsin is a long way from Vermont. No land available closer? I would use one of those tent like things with a solar bag full of water. Easy Peasy

Plenty of land here in Vermont, but we already own some of that! have also been looking at land/kicking tires on our many trips South and to the SouthWest. Plenty of nice spots, but we always gravitate back to the Northern terrain and the mountains. Now Wisconsin doesnt have a lot of mountains, but  a daughter & son-in-law are nearby and that was the real reason for buying land there: to spend more time with them, but not be underfoot or in their faces. Plus, we are not very good at just sitting around- we always need something to "do" and now we will certainly have plenty to do while we are getting our vacation R&R. Plus, i was born in Wi.- Guess I am getting back to those Roots.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: northstar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In