30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts
  • Local time: 02:41 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:48 PM

I love to hike but my other half just can not do the hikes I like to do. Finding a hiking partner is near impossible that is near my level and has the same time available. Not that I am some world record hiker but I am not a two steps and hour hiker either. I like to hike 7 - 15 mile day hikes.  

With only me out hiking in the big bad ole' woods my wife gets worried. Lots of places I like to go is waaaaay out of cell range. So after research I have decide to buy the SPOT GEN 3 device. It seems to be a great solution. 

​Have or do any of you use that device or a similar device? It would also come in pretty handy for those very remote camp spots.

Here is a link about it: http://www.findmespo...dex.php?cid=100

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#2 OFFLINE   Lancealot

Lancealot

lancealot

• NATCOA Members
  • 584 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Interests:TCing , fly fishing , drag racing ,
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 f-550 XLT crew/4x4
  • Name (Public):Brian

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

Hello Rich , I checked with fellow fly fishers on our fishing forum . Some of them also hunt in the back country .They are very pleased with the whole unit . Hope this helps .

CAMPING  where you spend a small fortune , to live like a homeless person .

#3 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2148 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:47 AM

It has good reviews at Amazon and there are other models with slightly higher ratings.

#4 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Brian. I ordered the device on sale for $104 yesterday, thats about $50 off the regular price. It is on back order through Cabelas where I ordered it and should have it in a couple weeks..

www.thetclife.com

#5 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:50 AM

It has good reviews at Amazon and there are other models with slightly higher ratings.

I looked at the ireach and that looked really good. In the end it came down to affordability with still having quality. Although the ireach has texting ability and the spot does not. The texting is not as important to me though. 

www.thetclife.com

#6 OFFLINE   Lancealot

Lancealot

lancealot

• NATCOA Members
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:TCing , fly fishing , drag racing ,
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 f-550 XLT crew/4x4
  • Name (Public):Brian

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

Rich , I just got another reply from one of the fishers , He said not to get VERY LOST because if they have to search for you and I quote :

The tracking part cost a friend of his pension , his house and half of his toys . These modern toys can bike you in the A$$.

CAMPING  where you spend a small fortune , to live like a homeless person .

#7 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12479 posts
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

I have the spot. Its great. You can program the buttons for different functions. For example if I press the noin emergency help button, people on the ocntact list get dsreicte da webpage where I have th eocntact numbers for various aid services in Mexico, for example.

I bought mine after that canadian couple took a wrong turn in Colorado & got stuck. He died. A spot would have saved them. Its something you  hope you  never have to use. Make sure you buy the evacuation imsrance. a helicopter rescue is expensive. I also use mine if I ATV alone.

I also have the spot trace hidden on my truck. If its ever stolen I know where it is.

See http://www.vancouver.hm/trace

I give that link to people on my Mexican caravans so they can give it to friends & relatives and see where we are.

I think the tracking part for the spot is about $50 a year. Now I have trh trace in the truck, i odnt bother with it, its mainly used in case of an emergency. You can always send out manual I'm ok messages every 30 min or so.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#8 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:58 PM

thanks paul for the insight, i appreciate it.

www.thetclife.com

#9 OFFLINE   butch50

butch50

Vice President / Director

• Directors
  • 182 posts
  • Local time: 04:41 AM
  • State/Province or Region:AR
  • Camper Brand:2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
  • Truck Make & Model:2017 Ram Mega 3500 Dually
  • Name (Public):Butch

Posted 15 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

I have a Spot also. I use it when I go ATVing by myself. There are a lot of times I can't get someone to go but I still want to go so I take my Spot and my wife can watch on her I phone with the app and see my route. It gives her a lot of piece of mind. It has never bothered me to go out by myself, after growing up in northwestern Montana there were many times nobody knew where I was at.

When I was working on gas line projects my boss finally told me he needed to know a little more about were I was in the wood in Oregon when I was out looking for routes. Our section was 96 miles long and I could be any place along the route and he said he would have no idea where to have someone search for me. I didn't have the Spot at that time but it would have been nice. Most of the time I was out of cell phone range.

It does give the other people a little piece of mind being able to track you and know where to send rescue parties :)

#10 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12479 posts

Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:39 AM

yeah if you have your atv roll on you or you ge tinjured it woudl be  a life saver, provided its not blocked by trees. tHtas is one case wihere th tracking is good, at least they will know where you were the last time it had signal.

Make sure you always carry a spare set of batteries.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#11 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2148 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

Evan an avid experienced hiker should have one.  From the news today: http://www.msn.com/e...7R6K?li=BBnb7Kz

#12 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:54 AM

very sad. it should be another week or so before i get my spot device. im anxious to try it out.

www.thetclife.com

#13 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12479 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:52 AM

Remember as a paid member you are entitled to web space .I have this page up that directs anyone e getting a distress message from me to:

www.vancouver.hm/spot

I have this up since text messages sent out are only 110 characters, so they get directed to that web page.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#14 OFFLINE   Wanky

Wanky

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Local time: 03:41 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 811 Q Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 GMC 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):Eric

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

I think I'll buy one of these.  When I get eaten by one of the Grizzlies, they can track the bear!

#15 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:39 PM

Remember as a paid member you are entitled to web space .I have this page up that directs anyone e getting a distress message from me to:

www.vancouver.hm/spot

I have this up since text messages sent out are only 110 characters, so they get directed to that web page.

thats great paul

www.thetclife.com

#16 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

I think I'll buy one of these.  When I get eaten by one of the Grizzlies, they can track the bear!

it brings up a point that while you may be hurt so bad or, well...dead that you cant send out a help signal. at least people will know your last check in point and can search from there. better for the family to get the body then never found i think.

www.thetclife.com

#17 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 04:54 AM

The Spot gen 3 arrived to my house last Friday. I have not had time to play with it yet as I was busy working at the brewery the last couple days. I cant wait to see how it does. Next step is to see what yearly plan works best with how I intend to use it.

www.thetclife.com

#18 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 468 posts
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 30 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

Yeah Rich, we use a Spot on our trail groomer in the winter when we are up in the mountains grooming trails that are only reachable by snow cat or snowmobile. Also, friends who travel to Alaska every summer have one on their boat and I track them on their travel days to see where they are hold up to fish, crab and shrimp. Think it's every 6 mins it pings when turned on. Seems to be fairly accurate as it will show them at a dock along the BC coast or up in Alaska or anchored out.

Only issue I've noted is in 6 mins their boat can travel around a penninsula and the track line will show them going over land to get to their next ping position on the other side of the land mass they have navigated around into a different bay or channel. Looks sort of funny knowing they are on a 45' boat that goes over land too. :-)

George
Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#19 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3741 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:46 AM

The generation 3 that I have can do tracking at intervals of 2 1/2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 minutes. I am anxious to try it out. Now it is just a matter of when I can get back up to those mountain tops. Should be pretty darn soon. Id love to this Sunday but we have a family deal going on. The weather is getting hot and the snow top mountains are on the melt quickly.

www.thetclife.com

#20 OFFLINE   Wanky

Wanky

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Local time: 03:41 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 811 Q Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 GMC 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):Eric

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:30 PM

it brings up a point that while you may be hurt so bad or, well...dead that you cant send out a help signal. at least people will know your last check in point and can search from there. better for the family to get the body then never found i think.

Okay, a confession.  I laughed through most of "The Revenant".  What a load of completely inaccurate bunk.  The only thing that I saw in that film that was technically accurate was the part about how quickly a bear can be on top of you.  Last fatal bear attack near here involved a guy that was packing a rifle.  He didn't have time to fire it.

We live near the mountains here in Calgary, where that film was done.  I encounter at least a dozen bears a year on the trails, and about a third are grizzlies.  There are stories every year about hikers that just disappear and are lost forever.  One of these from a couple of years back was discovered just recently.  Without much effort, I can take you to plenty of places where you might see one other person in a whole day on a summer long weekend.  People worry about bears, but there are about another dozen critters that will eat you, given the chance.  So, timeliness of a rescue can be important, depending on your luck and what stumbles across you if you're down.  This would make me think more about a two way feature.

When I was selling satellite phones, a story came back from the high arctic that a crew of scientists landed a helicopter on a frozen lake in winter.  When the helicopter completed it's landing, and put it's full weight on the ice, it started to fall through.  One guy was beheaded by the prop as the chopper fell through, and two others almost drowned in the icy water.  A third guy had the foresight to grab the briefcase sized satellite phone as he jumped out of the other side of the chopper, and managed to get a call in to someone he worked with.  The first few minutes the guy at the other end of the call thought it was all a joke.  Finally, he realized that this was actually happening, and sent a rescue team to get the three survivors.

Things can change quickly in the wild.  Combine an injury with a changing weather pattern and a couple of glowing eyes looking back at you at night...

An accident that I came across on a remote gravel road a decade ago, was a van that somehow had been flipped.  I suspect from the damage that it was an end over end, corner to corner kind of roll.  The back hatch had opened up, and everything was scattered behind the vehicle.  There was one other person who had got there ahead of us, and he had a sat phone, and had called the local RCMP and they were on the way, along with an ambulance.  The people in the van looked surprisingly well off.  Only the driver had a broken arm.

Now, all that being said, people have been hiking long before satellites, and some simple logic about telling someone where you are going might be a good idea.  Also, learning how to read a map and correlate position from either a compass or GPS should be basic, but most people can't.  If you break a leg and Smoky T. Bear hauls you back home for the kids, the detailed plan you left with someone about where you are supposed to be won't make for a very complete ending to your story, but you're kind of toast either way.

I think that any of these GPS trackers are great, but they are no substitute for respect for the conditions you are in, an understanding of your capabilities, suitable clothing, good footwear, proper planning, and a good dose of common sense.  Carry matches, or a flint, and loud whistle, bear spray, a flashlight, and at least one knife...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In