34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 11:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:18 PM

Hi,

I'm interested in these front hitches.  
They are such a good idea as they get the weight to the front where it needs to be.

In Australia, most of us run a bull bar or some type of frontal protection mostly to reduce damage from hitting a kangaroo or other widlife. We have to have these bars certified as "air bag compatible" or they are illegal. They often must be "crash tested" to make sure they crumple at about the rate of the normal bumper.

I would not be game to try to get a front hitch approved. The guy that built my bar flatly refused to fit a front hitch receiver to my bar  (it would be very easy during manufacture) as the vehicle was fitted with air bags. He would have if no air bag was fitted.

I was wondering if this have ever been an issue in USA. By air bag I mean the cabin occupant accident protection ones not the suspension ones.

All the best

Jeff

I never heard of that here in the US, but I'm no expert. So, the assumption is a frame mounted ANYTHING up front would prevent the air bags from deploying because the "crumple zones" wouldn't crumple?

#22 OFFLINE   jeff

jeff

Poster

• INTCOA Members
  • 22 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Queensland
  • Camper Brand:Coronet
  • Truck Make & Model:Holden Rodeo 2004

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:26 PM

Hi,

I never heard of that here in the US, but I'm no expert. So, the assumption is a frame mounted ANYTHING up front would prevent the air bags from deploying because the "crumple zones" wouldn't crumple?

Yes, or the opposite effect. That is the air bag might deploy early. Our authorities seem to worry a lot about such things. In years gone by I used to carry a generator on the front, and outboard motors but that was for a much older vehicle certainly without air bags or crumple zones.

All the best

Jeff

#23 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch

Posted 05 October 2015 - 03:38 AM

Hi,

Yes, or the opposite effect. That is the air bag might deploy early. Our authorities seem to worry a lot about such things. In years gone by I used to carry a generator on the front, and outboard motors but that was for a much older vehicle certainly without air bags or crumple zones.

All the best
Jeff

I'm no engineer, but I have no idea how it could deploy early if attached to the frame. And I though WE had a lot of weird rules here in the US.

#24 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:12 AM

It was stated when I bought my Ranchand Bumper for my truck that the front air bags would only work in a major accident. Other wise they are junk (airbags). Too tell how true that is I have hit a 90 lb deer at 75 mph with the ranchand with the TC on the truck bags failed to deploy and no damage to the truck. Our laws only cover what they are for cars and trucks are separate from bumper to bumper builders they have there own to follow but neiether make reference to the other.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#25 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IN
  • Camper Brand:2006 arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 1ton Dually CTD
  • Name (Public):Ted Webster

Posted 05 October 2015 - 02:26 PM

The Bodiak mounts (clamps VERY securely) to the front tow hooks. Well above the air dam on most trucks. Check out their web site for your truck. Certainly no ground clearance issue for me. Same specs as most others, 500 tongue weight, 8000 lb pull capacity. I love it, AND stupid easy to install.

http://www.bodiak.us

Hemp,

Thanks for this info, just what the doctor ordered, at least in my case, I e-mailed them to see if they can mount a light bar to the hitch.

#26 OFFLINE   jeff

jeff

Poster

• INTCOA Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:13 PM

Yes I'm no engineer either but I wondered if frame-mounted solid  item on the front might increase the shock to the vehicle perhaps making the air bag go off early. They have sensors in those crumple zones though so perhaps not. 

Knighteagle I'm not sure you would have wanted the air bag to go off at 75 mph. Might be hard to steer and see.

I doubt that a front hitch receiver would make much difference particularly if was only bolted on to the towing hooks. You would think it only fall off. in an accident.

Our authorities also worry about the shape of these bars. They must be smooth and not likely to trap an unfortunate pedestrian or push him under the vehicle.

I would love to have a front hitch receiver but not prepared to go through the hassles of trying to get it legal.

All the best

Jeff

#27 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

Want to say "THANKS" to everyone that helped get me to a decision. I ordered the Bodiak just a few minutes ago, now I have to impatiently wait----for up to a month as they are swamped with orders.

#28 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 11:00 PM

Here in south Texas hitting a deer is almost like hitting a Roo there in Aust Jeff. And at speed they can and do set off airbags, not as danger's as the deer, elk, etc in the Norther States.But with the Ranch Hand bumper it can cause the airbags not to deploy unless it's a major impact, Another use here in Texas with these big brush guard's is we use them as a bump gate opener. Where they tap the gate it swings open and taps the rear bumper and swings back closed. But it weighs over 300lbs and has a hitch built in. 

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#29 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 01:29 PM

Well, got an update from Bodiak today that the new hitch is on its way, the drawtite spare tire carrier should already be on its way, and I found a front hub extension at a local wrecking yard on the way home today. Looks like the plan is coming together---Yeah!

#30 OFFLINE   jeff

jeff

Poster

• INTCOA Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Knighteagle,

Almost every country vehicle and a lot of metropolitan ones have a "bullbar". Mostly for roos, sometimes just cosmetic nearly all aluminium. They bend pretty easy usually needing replacement after any sort of a bump. OK for small roos, not for big ones and certainly not much use against cows or worse still mature bulls on unfenced roads.

This has ben an interesting topic. Thanks for everyones input.

All the best

Jeff

#31 OFFLINE   towpro

towpro

Poster

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Local time: 12:54 PM
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 3500 Dually

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:27 AM

I recall in the late 70's my buddy had a nice Chevy "camper special" truck with the tire mounted on the front.

one day he has a little incident where someone rooled  back into him.  Spare tire went radiator.  if he did not have the spare on other vehicle would have stopped when it hit pumper. Sure its a strange incident, but he walked home that day.

#32 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:47 PM

I recall in the late 70's my buddy had a nice Chevy "camper special" truck with the tire mounted on the front.

one day he has a little incident where someone rooled  back into him.  Spare tire went radiator.  if he did not have the spare on other vehicle would have stopped when it hit pumper. Sure its a strange incident, but he walked home that day.

Hopefully this doesn't happen

Mine is almost done, I had to make a few minor mods to allow the dually wheel to mount forward to the mount, plus I redrilled the receiver hole so the mount doesn't stick out so far.

The Bodiak receiver is really a great setup too-- Thanks again hempomatic for the suggestion.

#33 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 09:49 AM

The Bodiak receiver is really a great setup too-- Thanks again hempomatic for the suggestion.

I'm glad you like it ! I've had MORE guys check it out at campsites. Everyone was fascinated that it is so logical as far as engineering and installation, and no one thought of it sooner. What I like is that there is no modification to the air dam, and it doesn't reduce the ground clearance.

ken

Edited by Hempomatic, 25 October 2015 - 09:51 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:28 AM

Had a tool box up front mounted low for air to hit radiator as well as go under. Still had over heating problems the box set 16" from the guard and it was 10" from the grill. I say just keep an eye on it this summer.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#35 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:42 PM

KnightEagle.

I'll get a couple of pics of mine shortly and post them. The hitch itself is a very well engineered setup, and the ground clearance is great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In