208 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   pscansetzer

pscansetzer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 71 posts
  • Local time: 09:34 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Interests:Traveling with my wife! 6 cross country trips and counting. Fly fishing, hiking, drift boats, Native Americans and Lewis and Clark.
  • Camper Brand:2018 Northern Lite 9-6 Q SE
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW w/ a Towed Jeep Wrangler
  • Name (Public):Jim & Tam

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:17 AM

right on. i sadly could not make the colorado rally either and i am still bummed about it. 

be sure to sign up via the rally link when you are ready to. it helps me keep track.

keep on eye on here or email me with any questions you may have.

We are in - reservations made on 8-29 and the Rally form filled out on 8-31.....time to pack!  We'll get our blog set up and we plan to make frequent entries for trip planning and preparations.  Will provide a link for others to follow as well.  This will be a return trip to our most favorite and enduring National Parks and other historic sites such as Three Forks MT, Lemhi Pass - too many to name. - The west has always pulled at our hearts

Jim & Tam Setzer

NC & MT

"Keep close to Nature’s heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."

John Muir

#22 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts
  • Local time: 05:34 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:39 AM

We are in - reservations made on 8-29 and the Rally form filled out on 8-31.....time to pack!  We'll get our blog set up and we plan to make frequent entries for trip planning and preparations.  Will provide a link for others to follow as well.  This will be a return trip to our most favorite and enduring National Parks and other historic sites such as Three Forks MT, Lemhi Pass - too many to name. - The west has always pulled at our hearts

thats great, i did get your sign up for the rally and i responded just a few minutes ago.

blog...when its ready with a link id be interested in following it.   not sure if you have seen mine at http://www.thetclife.com or not. 

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#23 OFFLINE   gandydancer

gandydancer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 118 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 PM
  • State/Province or Region:KS
  • Interests:Backpacking, bicycling, boating, camping, canoeing, fishing, hiking, hunting, kayaking, rafting and travelling
  • Camper Brand:2012 Travel Lite 960RX
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas
  • Name (Public):John Patterson

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:41 AM

I registered for the Glacier National Park Rally on August 27th and yesterday called Glacier Campground to reserve a site in the horseshoe area to be with the rest of the group. The wife and I are looking forward to this rally as we have never been to this part of the country before. This will give us a chance to explore the Pacific Northwest either before or after the rally as we will be out travelling the country for two months or more. 

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas

2012 Travel Lite 960RX

Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load Maximum Security Cargo Tray

Champion Power Equipment 73540i 2000 watt portable inverter generator

Timbren SES

Curt front mount hitch receiver

Time flies when you're having fun or is it time's fun when you're having flies

I never make the same mistake twice as I do it five or six times just to make sure     

#24 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 PM
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

I registered today, Monday Sept. 7th, 2015. Will call tomorrow and make reservations at the CG. Aug 17th for 4 nites.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#25 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:50 AM

thats awesome for both of you. its still a ways off for the rally yet i know i am pretty darn excited to return there. 

keep an eye out for more detailed announcements on things going on at the rally.

www.thetclife.com

#26 OFFLINE   gandydancer

gandydancer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 118 posts
  • State/Province or Region:KS
  • Interests:Backpacking, bicycling, boating, camping, canoeing, fishing, hiking, hunting, kayaking, rafting and travelling
  • Camper Brand:2012 Travel Lite 960RX
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas
  • Name (Public):John Patterson

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:29 AM

Rich,

I have several questions to ask you. The first question is the caravan to Polebridge on Thursday, August 18th. Will we be travelling on N Fork Rd or MT-486 or are we taking one road up and the other road back? The second question is on the Western Alpine Red Bus Tour on Saturday, August 20th. Does the Red Bus pick you up at the campground? What if the wife and I and another couple from Kansas that will be caravanning with us to the Rally want to take the West Side Crown of the Continent Tour instead of the Western Alpine Tour? Would that tour have to be done during the hike to Avalanche Lake on Friday, August 19th or can we do this tour in lieu of the other one so that we don't miss out on the hike? I'm sorry to be asking so many questions.

John  

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas

2012 Travel Lite 960RX

Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load Maximum Security Cargo Tray

Champion Power Equipment 73540i 2000 watt portable inverter generator

Timbren SES

Curt front mount hitch receiver

Time flies when you're having fun or is it time's fun when you're having flies

I never make the same mistake twice as I do it five or six times just to make sure     

#27 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts
  • Local time: 08:34 PM
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:44 AM

just made reservations at the CG for Aug 17 thru 20 - 4 nites - so far I am the 7th one making a reservation. .

I am also interested in the Red Bus tour, we have been to Glacier several times, but I do not believe we have take the Red bus tour.

Hiking, well it depends, I am 77 yrs old now and will be real close to 78 next year, if an easy hike sounds ok.

Is there a doctor near by? But I guess if I am to die, Glacier would be an ok place to go, being high up I am closer to heaven and the trip will be quicker.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#28 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:26 PM

POLEBRIDGE: same road there and back, here is a google map link:

https://www.google.c...37!2d48.7652483

RED BUS TOUR: we will caravan / carpool to lake mcdonald lodge. from there we board the red bus. more details on cost to come as soon as i can secure the buses...i have to wait until after october for that as per the reservation company.

for the rally i am only setting up the western alpine tour. the other tour is a great one but a bit long for some. the western alpine has worked well in the past. if you would like to do a different tour than with the group, we understand. 

the red bus tour is on saturday morning. the hike is on friday.

THE HIKE TO AVALANCHE: here is a link to one of several write ups about avalanche lake hike. it is #3 in the list:  http://www.glaciergu...com/blog/?p=189

www.thetclife.com

#29 OFFLINE   pscansetzer

pscansetzer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Traveling with my wife! 6 cross country trips and counting. Fly fishing, hiking, drift boats, Native Americans and Lewis and Clark.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:29 PM

Tammy and I were in Glacier in 2011 and loved it!  We spent about 10 days there and made several hikes and road trips to various sites spending time on the west and east sides.  We are so excited about the rally and sharing this adventure with like minded folks.  The thing that struck me the most was just how "wild" Glacier still is.  With each time we ventured off the highway for a hike, you are confronted with a sign that says "You are entering Grizzly Bear Country", not bear country but Grizzly Bear country.  We never saw a bear on the trail while hiking, saw evidence of bear though several times.  Makes you be alert no doubt. Oh and the smell of that ponderosa pine burning in a fire......nothing better!  

Jim & Tam Setzer

NC & MT

"Keep close to Nature’s heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."

John Muir

#30 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:05 AM

yep, glacier is my favorite place. i have been there countless times and hiked many miles in the park.

it does bring to point that there is always a chance that the hike to avalanche lake could be cancelled due to bear activity. trails frequently open and close due to bears. what the park does is post warnings if bears are seen near trails hanging around. if bears are staying on the trails then they will close that trail until the bears move on.

i have a couple trails i want to hike on this trip before and after the rally. it all depends on weather, any snow left in avalanche chutes and bears on the trail being open. last time we were there the highline trail was open and we hiked it. a fantastic trail to hike. next year, im looking at a couple hikes on the east side.

www.thetclife.com

#31 OFFLINE   pscansetzer

pscansetzer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:02 PM

yep, glacier is my favorite place. i have been there countless times and hiked many miles in the park.

it does bring to point that there is always a chance that the hike to avalanche lake could be cancelled due to bear activity. trails frequently open and close due to bears. what the park does is post warnings if bears are seen near trails hanging around. if bears are staying on the trails then they will close that trail until the bears move on.

i have a couple trails i want to hike on this trip before and after the rally. it all depends on weather, any snow left in avalanche chutes and bears on the trail being open. last time we were there the highline trail was open and we hiked it. a fantastic trail to hike. next year, im looking at a couple hikes on the east side.

Super Idea to hike the highline trail - that was on our list but the Going to the Sun Road open later than usual in 2011.

Jim & Tam Setzer

NC & MT

John Muir

#32 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

Super Idea to hike the highline trail - that was on our list but the Going to the Sun Road open later than usual in 2011.

here is a link to my blog with a write up i did on the highline trail and some other hikes in 2013. it might give you some more inspiration and ideas of where to hike. there is also a write up in another post from our 2012 visit if you do a search.

http://thetclife.com/2013/07/

www.thetclife.com

#33 OFFLINE   pscansetzer

pscansetzer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:25 PM

Went straight away to your blog and saw the pictures of the your hike on the Highline trail - Hooked I am no doubt now.....thanks for sharing!

Jim & Tam Setzer

NC & MT

John Muir

#34 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

A little off topic, but looking at your blog I saw the mountain goat.  About two years ago a guy hiking here in the Olympic National Park was gored and killed by a mountain goat. (Seattle Times Story)  As always, give'em a wide margin of safety.

#35 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:30 PM

A little off topic, but looking at your blog I saw the mountain goat.  About two years ago a guy hiking here in the Olympic National Park was gored and killed by a mountain goat. (Seattle Times Story)  As always, give'em a wide margin of safety.

yes, always give them as much room as you can. we always look for a escape route while hiking. i also always carry bear spray when hiking in remote areas...and everywhere in glacier.

on one hike down to hidden lake there was a goat who kept following us. you could read his posture...hurry the hell up is what i think he said. he eventually got tired of waiting and went off trail and around us.

www.thetclife.com

#36 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 05:33 PM

Went straight away to your blog and saw the pictures of the your hike on the Highline trail - Hooked I am no doubt now.....thanks for sharing!

ill give this link again on this topic...because it is a very valuable book for hiking in glacier. i highly suggest it for hikers.

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/0762772530

www.thetclife.com

#37 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 831 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:20 PM

We were backpacking past Cracker Lake in Glacier in the 70s when a goat ate the salty straps off both our backpacks during the night. This was pre -food box days and we left the packs a ways from the tent with no trees to hang gear from.  It was a long, hard hike out with rope straps.

#38 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:22 PM

i was looking back at some trip reports and i have another on our visit in glacier from 2012. here is another link if you want to gather some ideas. 

again, we will be camping in glacier before and after the rally. we most likely will camp on the east side, many glacier and two medicine. as the dates draw closer and if you like and can, we can see about catching up for a hike or two.

link to trip report: http://thetclife.com...-july-2nd-2012/

www.thetclife.com

#39 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:23 AM

13 rigs have already signed up for this rally. of course as time goes on some will have to cancel and a lot more will sign up. 13 rigs already is great.

next month i should have the details on the red bus tour and will start taking pre payments for a ride on the buses. be on the look out for that if you want to ride on the red bus with the group.

www.thetclife.com

#40 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 831 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:37 PM

For anyone who is coming from the east, and wanting a different route to take, there is the Old Yellowstone Trail.

It was "created" in 1912, hoping to make it from coast to coast when communities figured they could lure tourists off the trains and to their towns with the new fangled cars. Some of it was roads, and some trails. Maps today give a close approximation and if you are lucky, you can see some of the old signs.  There are a series of booklets telling about it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In