24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   jponder

jponder

Poster

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Local time: 02:02 PM

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:52 PM

I don't know much about trees and even less about US-Canadian politics. BUT I do have a house, made of wood, in Colorado (Northern Mexico) that I would trade even steven for one in the BC. Okanagan Valley area. Any takers? Eh! :angry:

really? Why?

One other thing i meant to say about the soft woods tariffs is this

if canada truely charges stumpage and it isnt excessively low then, the I would retract my statements. i am trying to get bigbadsprink pack off RV.net to register here and he is a Forester in Cadillac Michigan and he can prob clear this up. Plus he runs a lance 845 on a F-150 and i just respect a man who does that! Hey i have seen the rig, its for real!

When I was a kid we used to play this game where you all lined up and told the person behind you something. You had to whisper it super low becuase if the person behind you heard it the game was over. the person behind the one being told the statement could get right up close and try and hear it and all you could do was whisper it real quiet in the persons ear. by the time it made it to the back of the line it would never be the same thing

I'm sure that by the time the story gets to us in Louisisna it is very different from the truth but thats life

Edited by jponder, 08 December 2005 - 03:54 PM.

#22 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12475 posts
  • Local time: 02:02 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:29 PM

I found this one quote on stumpage fees in BC:

In recent times, B.C.'s stumpage fee has been $15.77 per cubic metre on the coast, and $16.38 per cubic metre in the Interior, where most B.C. lumber comes from. (The average
telephone pole contains one cubic metre of wood). Both fees have increased by two and three dollars in the last couple of years. These fees bring an annual harvest of $1.3-billion to B.C.'s coffers.

$16 Canadian is $13.75 US.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#23 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Local time: 09:02 PM
  • Interests:RV'IN', CAMPIN', SOCKEYE FISHIN' & JUST PLAIN HAVIN' FUN....
  • Camper Brand:CITATION SUPREME 26 RKS 5'TH WHEEL
  • Truck Make & Model:CHEVY SILVERADO K2500HD DURAMAX/ALLISON
  • Name (Public):STEVE

Posted 09 December 2005 - 04:56 AM

Well they (Americans) want our softwood for free now and then it'll be our oil and gas followed by our fresh water!!?? :o Then they get all upset when we challenge them on the blatent disregard they showed towards the free trade agreement that was signed between our then PM Mulroney and Pres Reagan. It's not very good when you have to be on your guard every moment when it comes to trade deals with our neighbours to the south. :angry: I say we slap higher tariffs and higher taxes on our precious resources and oil exports for as long as they want to play their silly games. :P The WTO has already stated that the US was "out to lunch" on the soft wood lumber tariffs they imposed and owe us a considerable sum of money. So pay up and quit whining about something you should have never started in the first place. While you're at it how about paying up your bill on the huge amount of hydro electric power we have sent to you via Quebec & BC that we haven't been paid for yet!!?? :D I've always had the greatest respect and admiration for the US and our American friends but instances, like the above mentioned issues, are chipping away at me and many others I might add. Is this the way friends are supposed to trear each other??:angry: This is the way I see it ......................Steve...

#24 OFFLINE   Monkey44

Monkey44

FOUNDER

• Founder
  • 723 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 06:45 AM

These discussions are why I prefer to participate in forums that exclude politics. Each person has an opinion he/she states as fact, but often doesn't know the entire story (no one does, me included) ... and base the comments in "you Americans" or "you Canadians" rhetoric that serves to lump each group of citizens into a all-incompacing scenario that presumes we individually agree with what the political animals spout simply because we live in a specific country. Most of the time the real world is somewhere in between what each "end" represents as fact. I, for one, prefer to engage a new friendship with a person, not with the ideals nor the politicians of a segregate, and certainly not "with the people", and would prefer to ignore a line that some group drew in the sand and said, "Each side of this line contains a group of people that are different." But of course, that's just me and how I think.

And one more comment: Discussions such as these quickly chose sides and become insulting even if the original intent was not. One moderator already locked this down ... but at my request, reopened it. SO, we can carry on interesting dialogue in cases like this one where two sides are diametrically opposed as long as the discussion stays factual and does not become insulting to any member or guest. Otherwise, we will come quick with the hammer ... We all gain from knowledge that increases our personal awareness ... but insults and charactor assasinations accomplish no good ... Carry on, gentlemen -- M44

Edited by Admin-Mathews, 09 December 2005 - 08:25 AM.

Back-country Camper
2002 Fleetwood Angler
2003 GMC 2500 Sierra 4x4

#25 OFFLINE   Admin-Mathews

Admin-Mathews

Founder- Forum Admin - Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 726 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Florida
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Camper Brand:No Longer Have a Truck Camper
  • Truck Make & Model:1993 CHEV 3500 TURBO-DIESEL
  • Name (Public):BILL MATHEWS

Posted 09 December 2005 - 08:20 AM

These discussions are why I prefer to participate in forums that exclude politics. Each person has an opinion he/she states as fact, but often doesn't know the entire story (no one does, me included) ... and base the comments in "you Americans" or "you Canadians" rhetoric that serves to lump each group of citizens into a all-incompacing scenario that presumes we individually agree with what the political animals spout simply because we live in a specific country. Most of the time the real world is somewhere in between what each "end" represents as fact. I, for one, prefer to engage a new friendship with a person, not with the ideals nor the politicians of a segregate, and certainly not "with the people", and would prefer to ignore a line that some group drew in the sand and said, "Each side of this line contains a group of people that are different." But of course, that's just me and how I think.

And one more comment: Discussions such as these quickly chose sides and become insulting even if the original intent was not. One moderator already locked this down ... but at my request, reopened it. SO, we can carry on interesting dialogue in cases like this one where two sides are diametrically opposed as long as the discussion stays factual and does not become insulting to any member or guest. Otherwise, we will come quick with the hammer ... We all gain from knowledge that increases our personal awareness ... but insults and charactor assasinations accomplish no good ... Carry on, gentlemen -- M44

I agree with you M44 and think it's time to end this thread. So I am locking this thread after this post.

Sorry to edit your post Bill, but I agree. We stated at the top of this forum "NO POLITICS". I let it go until now as the subject did have some interest, but it is rapidly truning into a political discussion & there are other forums linked from here where it can be discussed in that context.

This forum is for general non-TC related discussion, it is NOT a polical debating forum. We let some political posts go as we don't want to be anal about them, but as soon as they turn hot we lock them down. That is the policy. We are not a political debate forum. Simple as that. (Admin-Beddows)
No Longer Have a Truck Camper.
1993 Chevy 3500 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, Reg. Cab, Long Bed, SRW, Rancho 9000X, Air Lift Air Bags, Auto Level Sys., Rickson 19.5X7.5 Wheels Dunlop 245X70X19.5 H rated Tires, Happijac Tiedowns, "Bed Rug" Brand Liner, Lance brand cab over struts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In