Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 02:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:2013 Travel Lite 770R
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Posted 12 May 2016 - 08:49 PM

I should add - I really, really LOVE the interior of my Travel Lite (layout and finish work), and I even like how it looks on the outside.

But the flaws in the build process are atrocious.  Just looks like a lack of knowledge from the factory floor... I just think the workers had zero training.

I researched this purchase carefully before I made it in 2013 and really thought I had chosen a decent, small family owned company.  There were no bad reviews that I could find.  Now you can find some doozies for the 2012-2013 years.  And not limited to TC's, their travel trailers had issues as well.  I hope they have improved so that people can enjoy buying from them again b/c I still like the damn thing despite all the problems.  This is a TC that has the size, layout and weight that I would keep for years. 

It's like living with a relative that is an alcoholic - I LOVE the camper and HATE the choices it makes!  LOL

But I still fight to keep it alive and in the family.... not ready to give up on it yet. 

I'm not sure I could ever recommend them to anyone else based on their Customer Service though.  But if you have one that seems OK, you will probably be fine.  Just enjoy using it.  The ones that had issues had them from Day 1.  There is another internet post about the cabover failing and falling onto the truck roof - and the camper was less than a year old.

#62 OFFLINE   Nuckfan

Nuckfan

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 14 posts
  • Local time: 11:17 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2010 Travel lite 800
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Silverado 2500hd 6.0l gasser

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:35 PM

Look what I found. I had a tie-down eyelet that was loose. So I needed to check it out and thought maybe the nut vibrated and backed off. Boy was I wrong! The whole corner at where the jack plates are mounted was rotten so bad I could grab handfuls of wood. The corner trim comes down from the roof then just buts up to the jack brackets. Seems like a shoddy design to me. I replaced the wood. Then where the tin just met in the corner I applied Eternabond tape behind the jack bracket and underneath the corner trim. Then I recaulked. That sucker won't ever leak again. I was scared to check the other corners and so far I just removed a couple lag bolts and checked for rust. Yay no rust. Still recaulked yet again. Next camper is a Bigfoot or northern lite. Pics are before and afterimage.jpeg image.jpeg

#63 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

D A M N !   That's scary, hope it's not something I have to look forward to.  I'll definitely keep my eyes open for loose tie down eyelets !!!!!!  

You do outstanding work man, I'll pay your fare down here from Canada.  I trust YOUR work WAY more than the factory !!!!!!! 

ken

#64 OFFLINE   Nuckfan

Nuckfan

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 14 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2010 Travel lite 800
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Silverado 2500hd 6.0l gasser

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:36 PM

D A M N !   That's scary, hope it's not something I have to look forward to.  I'll definitely keep my eyes open for loose tie down eyelets !!!!!!  
You do outstanding work man, I'll pay your fare down here from Canada.  I trust YOUR work WAY more than the factory !!!!!!! 

ken

Thanks, it was not exactly what I was expecting, but to be honest I wasn't really surprised at what I found. You would like to believe that there's still pride in a companies product. How hard would it be for the manufacturer to seal behind the camper jacks. I mean really, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to foresee a possible leak spot with thIs kind of build. I know that it is an entry level camper and I do not expect Cadillac quality but sheesh, it would not break the bank to spend a couple bucks in materials and an extra half hour in the build process to create a reliable seal. I most definitely will be redoing the other three corners soon. But in the meantime we will enjoy the heck out of our camper.

#65 OFFLINE   nobdy2u@aol.com

nobdy2u@aol.com

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 06:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:fl
  • Camper Brand:Travelite
  • Truck Make & Model:Toyota Tundra

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

I purchased a Travelite SL770 in February of 2014. I wasn't sure about truck campers so I didn't feel like spending 20-30k. So I got what I paid for, 10k worth of truck camper. Don't buy one of these campers. My use of this camper is very limited, and I've had some problems. I had a gas smell from the day I bought it, "loose gas line compression fitting on stove". Now my rear passenger tie down that holds the camper on is loose. Bracket that holds door open broke immediately, siding is corroding and seam at botton of siding has been caulked several times. I called my dealer and he told me that he no longer deals with Travelite because they wouldn't pay their warranty claims. I bought a truck camper so I could camp and pul my boat. Today I have been getting estimates on opening up the side to get to the area that the truck tie down is attached.

On another note, I have a Toyota Tundra, I don't want to buy a new heavy duty 60k truck so I can have a truck camper. Does anyone know of a good qualiaty lightweight truck camper that will fit on my Tundra?

sincerely, John

#66 OFFLINE   Shellback

Shellback

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 262 posts
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Four Wheel Grandby
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 Silverado 1500
  • Name (Public):Shellback

Posted 30 January 2017 - 05:34 PM

I purchased a Travelite SL770 in February of 2014. I wasn't sure about truck campers so I didn't feel like spending 20-30k. So I got what I paid for, 10k worth of truck camper. Don't buy one of these campers. My use of this camper is very limited, and I've had some problems. I had a gas smell from the day I bought it, "loose gas line compression fitting on stove". Now my rear passenger tie down that holds the camper on is loose. Bracket that holds door open broke immediately, siding is corroding and seam at botton of siding has been caulked several times. I called my dealer and he told me that he no longer deals with Travelite because they wouldn't pay their warranty claims. I bought a truck camper so I could camp and pul my boat. Today I have been getting estimates on opening up the side to get to the area that the truck tie down is attached.

On another note, I have a Toyota Tundra, I don't want to buy a new heavy duty 60k truck so I can have a truck camper. Does anyone know of a good qualiaty lightweight truck camper that will fit on my Tundra?

sincerely, John

My 770SL is a 2013 model. I bought it second hand and only 6 months old. It had never been used. After arriving home with it I noticed the bottom siding trim had been pulled away from the siding. The framing at the tiedowns was very weak, and I called Travel Lite, only to get, "never heard of such a thing." I decided to tear into it myself and fix it right from the get go. Took all the lower cabinetry out and ran aluminum angle down both sides, tying the wing floor into the side framing where the tiedowns were anchored. At the anchor points, I cut a hole thru the interior siding so I could put a smaller piece of aluminum angle where anchor eyes came up through the wood framing. I can supply pictures to you if you provide an email address to me with a PM.  The rear passenger side tiedown can be accessed where the battery compartment is. Transferring measurements from the outside, I determined where I needed to cut a hole thru the interior paneling. I might suggest doing that to see what's up before pulling exterior skin off. I also had to tear out the plywood under the bed due to a water leak the first year, then the second year I had to replace the rear 1/3 of the roof plywood. I bet I have a couple 40 hour weeks fixing the camper, but the good news it's fixed right finally and has been trouble free for the last couple of seasons.

#67 OFFLINE   kayakin

kayakin

Director-Secretary-2015 Rally Committe Member

• Admin (non-root)
  • 825 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MT
  • Camper Brand:2012 Adventurer 86FB
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chevy Silverado 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bonnie and Mike

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

sincerely, John

Look at 4 wheel campers    http://www.fourwh.com

#68 OFFLINE   SidecaqrFlip

SidecaqrFlip

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 06:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Michigan
  • Camper Brand:Palomino SS1500
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 CC 4x4 Diesel

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:17 AM

I've been lurking for some time. thought I'd comment.  IMO, every TC has it's issues.  I owned a Lance for may years and finally sold it and it had it's issues like water intrusion and poor fit of components.

I see you recommend Four Wheel Campers an d that is all well and good if you want to spend BIG bucks but I went from my Lance to a Palomino soft side wet bath model and unlike Travel Lite, I have had no issues whatsoever in the past year and it's all been off road camping in remote areas.  The fit and finish on mine mine is above the norm expected from a lower priced unit (at least as good, if not better than my previous Lance.  Bang for the buck, it's hard to beat a Forest River TC

Besides, they all share the same components no matter what you ultimately spend for any camper.

Just my 2 cents...  I'm back to lurking again.

#69 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • Local time: 12:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:32 PM

sidecaqrflip like you i had my share of problems with the fit on the Lance's the got to big and forgot who pays for there wages and dont really take pride in there work. Poor Dreamer it's long gone but i remember a coach i help install the alum on. First of its kind all we had to go one was a drawing all went good a week later we were called over to the side area were looking for ways to improve it. our department got put over the flame for our mastake. we covered it 2-white, 1-dark color, 1-light color,< 1-wood grain>, 1-white then the dark light wood again last finished in white. What was wronge was in the < white this should of been 2 > but it put paint in a pickle for the followed our lead and trim there's. Who's fault was it the designer he didnt make a note as to what was where in what number of sheets. that whole coach was striped and re-covered and all other work also. Trying to say poor details can cost you big. About 6 years later Dreamer was no longer in prouduction

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#70 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:35 PM

Since this thread was resurrected, I'll make a few comments.  

My goal at this point is put these idiots out of business.  Sound harsh I suppose, but I have a VERY difficult time with companies that have no problem putting out junk and taking advantage of people.  I'm surprised there are not WAY more issues and disgruntled customers than there are. My assumption is that the majority of them have VERY limited use and are stored indoors. There is a Truck Camper group on Facebook that is pretty active.  I've had at LEAST 1/2 dozen people there thank me for steering them away from Travel Lite.  I also put a sign on my truck whenever we camp at an active campground that says "Ask me why this camper is a piece of shit.  DON'T BUY TRAVEL LITE"  

I have to estimate that I've killed a minimum of 1/4 million in gross sales since I've purchased this piece of garbage. Some say that is unfair, others say sour grapes, but frankly I feel it's my DUTY as a consumer to do whatever I can. They are no better than thieves.  The difference is, they smile and shake your hand when they steal your money.  

In retrospect, the initial problems when I began this thread were nothing compared to the issues a lot of other folks have had.  The hits keep coming though, and the A/C, heat, and kitchen exhaust have all failed. The warranty parts that I finally received have also failed again.  The dinette is warped, and the cheap plastic sink components have broken as well. I also repaired a propane leak. Still getting water on the floor by the entry door, apparently from the bathroom which appears to be grey water (thankfully) .  

#71 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Local time: 10:17 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 06 February 2017 - 06:58 AM

I would like to point out that the apliance failures have nothing to do with any camper builder. That is an issue with the appliance manufacturer. They have thier own warranty coverage. It is not unusual for a camper builder to state that you must contact that manufacturer.

I have had my converter go out twice now, under warranty. My warranty ends in July and if it goes out again, I will upgrade to a bigger better converter.

Not arguing with anything, just a note about it is all.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#72 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:12 AM

I would like to point out that the apliance failures have nothing to do with any camper builder. That is an issue with the appliance manufacturer. They have thier own warranty coverage. It is not unusual for a camper builder to state that you must contact that manufacturer.

I have had my converter go out twice now, under warranty. My warranty ends in July and if it goes out again, I will upgrade to a bigger better converter.

Not arguing with anything, just a note about it is all.

Oh, I'm well aware of that, but regardless, it just feels like someone just keeps piling on the bad luck.  It gets to a point that it doesn't MATTER who's fault it is, it just keeps adding to the level of frustration.  As far as the heater goes though, that actually WAS Travel Lite's fault, it was installed incorrectly, you know, like everything else they touched.    ;-)  

#73 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 06 February 2017 - 10:05 AM

Oh, I'm well aware of that, but regardless, it just feels like someone just keeps piling on the bad luck.  It gets to a point that it doesn't MATTER who's fault it is, it just keeps adding to the level of frustration.  As far as the heater goes though, that actually WAS Travel Lite's fault, it was installed incorrectly, you know, like everything else they touched.    ;-)

I sympathize completely. Don't get me wrong there.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#74 OFFLINE   blackmaxx

blackmaxx

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:Bigfoot 2500 9.4 SB
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC K2500HD

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

To Hempomatic

You are definitely not being sour grapes....why should anyone just roll over and accept shoddy workmanship?  I agree with you 100% in what you are doing.  The only thing that will make those responsible at Travel Lite will be the spectre of bankruptcy because of the efforts of those who have been wronged.  I for one am very thankful for this aspect of the internet because of the fact that there are places where folks can get the truth about some things.  Very sorry to hear about your experiences with this camper (and those of Stars101). 

Unbelievable that this company has not figured out the old adage - "A happy customer will tell one person, an unhappy customer will tell ten people".  After reading stuff like this, the wife and I consider ourselves extremely fortunate that our 2006 Bigfoot has been completely problem free.

Edited by blackmaxx, 29 March 2017 - 08:10 AM.

#75 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

I'm not on Travel lite's side. You have to be very carefull at what you say and do and how loud you speak. Tell you why, in our neighborhood when the builder was still building had a group of dissatisfied owners that were protesting the builder and making statements online in forum's leading the builder to sue the protesting neighbor's for all damage's. There was a settlement, they were to shut up and the builder would still fix the houses per warranty only.  Even the forum or forum's could be named if they care to. I have my issues with Lance but not anoff to say there junk, just they need to look at the fact not everyone  is over 6ft tall have tall and short people check out a new model before production starts we had problems getting into the cabover and the dinner table area little alone sitting on the elavated john. Now would I get another Lance if they redo the forgetting there are shorter people that may need help in some places.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#76 OFFLINE   TDWebster

TDWebster

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 95 posts
  • State/Province or Region:IN
  • Camper Brand:2006 arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 1ton Dually CTD
  • Name (Public):Ted Webster

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:21 AM

Saw this today

http://www.rvbusines...g-new-facility/

This ought to get your dander up!!

#77 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:25 PM

Who knows, PERHAPS forums like this and disgruntled customers like me contributed to Travel Lite improving their quality control.  The fact that the warranty is two years is significant.  I was also reading their website and saw they changed some of their build specs.  If it isn't total bull shit, good for the people that are buying new ones.  On the Facebook truck camper site, several people that owned a Travel Lite took umbrage with my assertion that they were a piece of shit.  

I actually had a guy ask me about the camper an hour ago.  He was driving by and stopped when he saw the camper. He's was on his way to Pa to the dealer that screwed me.  I showed him all of this issues I had, the repairs I made and the general overall build quality.  He said, and I quote, " Holy SHIT, this is only two years old? Thanks for the warning!"  I did my job.  

#78 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:35 PM

George and I have been kicking around the idea of keeping our Lance or getting a new TC. We want to go back to Alaska again, only this time in a TC. We certainly will not take our new fifth wheel up there after the beating our old 5er took last summer. In looking at a potential replacement, one thing that has always stuck in my mind is Hempomatic's issues with his Travel Lite. Their so-called customer service has been horrible, IMO. After experiencing the outstanding CS we are getting with our new 5er (too bad they don't build truck campers), it only serves to magnify how bad Travel Lite seems to be. Needless to say, they did not make the list. Honestly, Lance isn't on our radar either. Too "Forest River" for us, even though Lance is not a FR company. We will never buy anything made by FR again. 

Thank you, Ken, for your honesty and opinion about your POS.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In