• NATCOA Members
  • 262 posts
  • Local time: 11:57 AM
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Four Wheel Grandby
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 Silverado 1500
  • Name (Public):Shellback

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

Maybe they make them with the curve built in, mine's that way too. Not LOL.  Wish they sold truck campers in kit form, then you could be sure of the build quality. 

#22 OFFLINE   languiduck

languiduck

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 05:57 PM
  • State/Province or Region:US: Virginia
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F250

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:15 AM

Feel your pain.  This is my 890 SBRX after 11 months of use.  Travel Lite quality sucks, their customer service sucks, phone calls do not get returned.  Thankfully my dealer is good at repairs and is taking care of it no matter what.  Unfortunately, this is unacceptable and when it comes back from repair it will be sold.  At a big loss for sure.  We bought new so this wouldn't happen.  I'd been better off with a used one.  I think this has left such a sour taste in our mouths that we won't be replacing it with any truck camper.  Or any RV for that matter.  Lately I see far too many water issues from all types of RV; expensive Class A delamination to TT delamination.  

C47D8EEB-6D90-4C92-837C-74FF62DD25C3_zps
013F6FFD-B7D2-457B-AAA5-6C6D7106E93F_zps
41ACB46F-4C43-4D5A-8CD7-F80ACF045254_zps
9A5B525A-D91C-415E-AD8F-B36E3AFE4343_zps
27498752-8A4C-4BF3-BF61-A96717FBB73E_zps
431A5F98-A12B-466B-9215-716AD55DBCE1_zps

#23 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:05 AM

I really have NO IDEA how these knuckleheads are still in business. I have to admit though, that your pictures have me totally baffled? How did that HAPPEN?

Is there ANYONE that has had one of these for more than a year that is satisfied?

ken

#24 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 09:57 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

That is water intrusion. aluminum will do that if the wood behind is soaked.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#25 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch

Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

That is water intrusion. aluminum will do that if the wood behind is soaked.

What can be done to eliminate that from happening? Obviously, there is a water leak SOMEWHERE, but how do you find that if there is no obvious signs of leaking? It's FAR easier to find something leaking OUT, than leaking IN. This happened after 11 MONTHS !!??

Looks like I really need to get rid of this piece of garbage while it still functions. My wife is going to KILL me. This whole thing was my idea. We had a beautiful Class B that was absolutely cherry, but I needed to get something we could leave at the campsite with the pets as we went exploring. I feel like such an IDIOT !! I'm going to get absolutely KILLED on resale.

<<<<<SIGH>>>>>

ken

#26 OFFLINE   languiduck

languiduck

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:46 AM

Dealer says the glue ate the aluminum. But it hasnt been stripped yet so no confirmation. He is taking all the front siding off so the story will be told.

This camper has had:
Shorted exterior light circuits
Leaking a/c inside
The dump valve connection was damaged and leaked all over me first time i pulled the black tank valve open
Lights and speakers falling out of ceiling.
Leaking connection at hot water heater
Now this damage.

It is pure junk and i have not seem anyone with a travel lite that is happy. This company knows they produce crap and i hope they crash and burn...literally.

#27 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 09:57 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

How much did you both pay, BTW? Are there lemon laws in your states?

If you replace them here is a list of reliable ones

Northstar

Northern lite

Arctic fox

Lance

Adventure

Eagle Cap

Stick to one of those brands and you shoudl be OK. I may have missed some

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#28 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 12:08 PM

I paid about 23K, that includes tax and docs, quite a few extras like, Torklift ties downs with fast guns, electric jacks, A/C, convection/microwave, side and rear awnings, Roof rack and ladder, back up camera, upgraded battery. That's about 4K in options when all was said and done. I didn't think that was a bad price from what I was being quoted for other units, but that assumed it was not a piece of junk.

Languiduck, I also had components falling out of the ceiling. Don't bother trying to screw them back in, there isn't anything to screw them into. I used a thin bead of silicone, worked great, can easily be removed with a razor.

As far as lemon laws, every state is different, I live in NJ, dealer is in PA. It ONLY applies if the unit can not be repaired in a timely fashion to new specifications.

I'll just need to be satisfied with making sure no one else falls prey to these thieves. I can't even get a wiring diagram, or any info on what circuit is being fed from which fuse or breaker.

Not much in the way of customer service from the dealer OR the factory at this point.

ken

#29 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • Local time: 10:57 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:16 PM

From what I can see from what looks like rust holes and alum will rust also if salt gets on it or behind it. The J molden don't look like they sealed it with that ribbon putty and caulk the seams. Back in the day I worked for Dreamer building there TC in both locations Arlington Texas and in City of Industry Ca.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#30 OFFLINE   languiduck

languiduck

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:56 AM

How much did you both pay, BTW? Are there lemon laws in your states?

If you replace them here is a list of reliable ones

Northstar

Northern lite

Arctic fox

Lance

Adventure

Eagle Cap

Stick to one of those brands and you shoudl be OK. I may have missed some

I wish that were true, but I have friends and acquaintances with those brand campers and some have water issues too.  And I can read about many people rebuilding their Lance due to water damage.  Having said that, yes I would much rather have one of those brands.  

I don't know if lemon laws exist for a non motorized RV, but a lemon law only applies to something that hasn't been repaired.  The problems I listed have been repaired.  They just shouldn't have happened in the first place.  There are more picky things like loose drawers and doors but I just fixed all that myself.  

I also don't want anyone else to be taken advantage of by this company.  They are good at making things look nice on the lot, but no one can see what's underneath until it is too late.  I think mine was around $16,000.  My wife was unhappy spending that much on a camper, and frankly so was I.  I surely can't afford, and wouldn't want to spend $30,000-$50,000 on something like a camper.  We aren't full timers or anything.  I figured it would at least stay dry for a few years.  

So like the fellow above said, I feel like I let the wife down, I pushed her in to agreeing to purchasing new.  We have had lots of fun with it the last 11 months and went to some neat places and spent the day on the beach in OBX.  This is gonna cost me.  I think my dealer has a used Lance on the lot, maybe I can trade it in on something else after the repair.  I'll lose but I'll still have something vs. losing and have nothing in the end.

Edited by languiduck, 02 July 2015 - 03:02 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:26 AM

Knowing what I know NOW, the ONLY truck camper I would even CONSIDER is one of these.

http://www.livinlite...uck-campers.php

This was one of the two I had narrowed things down to, but a (relative) lack of storage, being nearly a foot taller, a separate dinette table and being a few thousand more made the Travel lite the one we went with. The newest LivinLites have a really nice built in dinette, there are plenty of storage options I hadn't considered, and given the beating I'm going to take selling THIS one, that extra couple of grand doesn't seem like such a big deal after all.

#32 OFFLINE   kerry4951

kerry4951

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Pa.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Arctic Fox 1140
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Kerry

Posted 02 July 2015 - 05:55 AM

Ive owned 4 RVs since 1999. Two of them were Class A motorhomes, same manufacturer. One was great, the other one was a problem child.  My current 2010 Arctic Fox TC is by far the best built for overall quality and fit and finish. But I have heard of recent new owners who are complaining about their Northwood units. Things change at these factories with labor turnover. All it takes is one laborer on the line to not do his job correctly and the whole unit can suffer. Back in 2010 when I bought my TC there was a recession. Folks who had their jobs were holding on to them and staying put. I am convinced that is why I lucked out and got a good unit. It was built by people who were not being rushed since sales were down and who were glad to have a job at the time. My guess is a few years back Travel Lite was also building a better product. It sounds like they had a big labor turnover sometime around 2013, causing their current units to be inferior. One thing I learned is just because a particular brand is good the first time around doesnt mean it will always be good in the future. Buying any RV is "luck of the draw". I think that is why some try to find a good used unit that was well taken care of by the previous owner and had most of the "bugs" taken care of by the previous owner.

#33 OFFLINE   languiduck

languiduck

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:33 AM

Have to give a thumbs up to my dealer, Gloucester RV, for taking care of me. They finished up today and it's all ready to go. Upon removing a few pieces of siding he was able to confirm no water damage. Apparently he was correct with his assessment of the glue/epoxy eating the aluminum siding (which did get a small area wet from rain but no rot and it is dried out now). While he was there he also removed the pass through window and rotated it 180 degrees so that it opens on the correct side and actually opens up at the center of the truck rear window instead of to one side. I still can't understand why Travel Lite did the window like that. He also fixed the leak at the air conditioner gasket and resealed everything on the roof and the rest of the camper too. Makes me feel better. Not about Travel Lite, but about someone actually caring and making an effort. 
Now I need to determine if I should try and sell it while the condition is like it is, or get a custom cover and hope for the best. There could still be problems in places we can't see and don't know about.

BTW, I did forward this thread to Travel Lite and asked them to please send the parts I need and help all of us who have major issues with their products and to please call me. I did receive a reply mentioning the siding was sent at great cost to them (as if I should grateful?) and to have a nice day. Guess I'm on my own now...warranty is over. 

#34 OFFLINE   Midnight Rambler

Midnight Rambler

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Florida

Posted 02 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

WOW.  Thanks for the post. Very valuable information.  I was looking to buy a Travel Lite but you just talked me out of it... 

#35 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:58 AM

WOW.  Thanks for the post. Very valuable information.  I was looking to buy a Travel Lite but you just talked me out of it... 

That was the point !  

I'm always amazed at manufacturers that just think they can get away with this shit indefinitely.  I know for a fact that I have personally killed at least 3 or 4 of their potential sales.  Frankly, I've NEVER done anything like that before. I've had issues with things I've purchased of the years, who hasn't, but this is just insane.  There are only two satisfactory conclusions to this for me, the total demise of Travel Lite, or a full refund, because I assure you, when all is said and done, they will lose FAR more money than the refund price. 

I've been waiting a few weeks for numerous parts that I want replaced in warrantee.  My dealer TELLS me the manufacturer is sending them the parts, but my warranty is HURTLING toward it's completion.  The broken handle pictured was the straw that broke the camel's back. I ending up on my ass as I was walking up the entry steps.  

Attached Thumbnails

• broken handle.jpg

Edited by Hempomatic, 02 April 2016 - 11:02 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   Wanky

Wanky

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Interests:Fishing, Hiking
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 811 Q Classic
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 GMC 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):Eric

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

Very sorry to hear about all your hassles.

Our experience with a new camper (A Northern Lite) was similar, but different.  The construction of the camper itself was great, but the Fridge, Stove, and grey tanks involved multiple bad trips and repairs and time.  However, the service was good, so I like to think that what is important in a business is not to expect perfection out of the gate, but if they care enough about you as a customer to make things right.  Based on this, I would be a Northern Lite again.

I run a manufacturing company.  We make communications equipment that winds up on drilling rigs.  If we had the problems with our stuff that it appears that most RV manufacturers have, I would assume that it's not the staff, but the management, that needs their attitudes re-calibrated, or to go back to school  I'm not certain that as an industry they follow what I would describe as proper manufacturing processes.  It appears to me to be more like building small houses in a build building, and I can generally state that most people feel that new home construction, as an industry, could use better process.

Perhaps the competitive aspect of this industry forces them to cut corners, but I'll give you an example of what I mean.

Our products, once assembled, are put into an automated test rack that is run by a specialized computer system.  Each unit is automatically programmed and tested for 72 hours under similar situations to field use, or under more stressful conditions than customers would subject the product to under normal conditions.  In this set up, 3 to 5% of the finished products will fail.  We will also catch what we call an "epidemic" failure of components where, for some reason, a supplier has shipped a complete shipment that doesn't meet spec.  I can tell you, that in any industry, sometimes your suppliers will come up short.  We had one rack that during test that you could see where the new batch started.  Everything on the right of one particular unit was great.  Everything on the left, was dead.

Just one example.  There are plenty more I could share.

The other side to this, is that you just can't fix "don't care" attitudes.  If your manufacturing staff thinks it's fulfilling it's obligation to you and your customers by simply parking their kiesters in a chair for 8 hours a day, eventually it will be impossible to differentiate yourself with any of your competitors on the basis of anything other than price.

As Henry Ford said "Quality means doing it right, when no one else is looking".

#37 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Local time: 08:57 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:26 PM

In previous careers, I worked in aviation and medical equipment where failure could mean loss of life. I still practice my work as if a life depended on it. Maybe the RV industry needs to hire some people from these fields to inject some reliability and quality.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#38 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 05:15 AM

I would assume that it's not the staff, but the management, that needs their attitudes re-calibrated, or to go back to school  I'm not certain that as an industry they follow what I would describe as proper manufacturing processes. 

Perhaps the competitive aspect of this industry forces them to cut corners, but I'll give you an example of what I mean.

I can tell you, that in any industry, sometimes your suppliers will come up short.  

The other side to this, is that you just can't fix "don't care" attitudes.  If your manufacturing staff thinks it's fulfilling it's obligation to you and your customers by simply parking their kiesters in a chair for 8 hours a day, eventually it will be impossible to differentiate yourself with any of your competitors on the basis of anything other than price.

As Henry Ford said "Quality means doing it right, when no one else is looking".

"I would assume that it's not the staff, but the management, that needs their attitudes re-calibrated, or to go back to school  I'm not certain that as an industry they follow what I would describe as proper manufacturing processes." 

That pretty much goes without saying to a point, HOWEVER, and I don't want to get into the politics of this,  minimum wage workers will generally do minimum wage work and tend to be unskilled.  I can assure you, there were no union carpenters (or electricians or plumbers) involved in the assembly of this TC. I know all the arguments about small businesses and the impact of wages, but I can guarantee I personally have killed 100K in sales this past year and qualified techs would have eliminated most, if not all of the issues I'm having. 

"Perhaps the competitive aspect of this industry forces them to cut corners." 

IS it actually that competitive?  How many truck campers do you see in RV lots?  I had to drive 2 hours to even SEE a truck camper at a dealer.  Even the more expensive TCs WITH a new truck are still less expensive that 95% of all Class B and C campers.  I think the problem stems more from a LACK of competition. 

"Maybe the RV industry needs to hire some people from these fields to inject some reliability and quality."

That would be a good start. I KNOW I was screwed by a manufacturer (as well as a dealer that appears to be oblivious) that relies exactly 0% on repeat or word of mouth business. I can live with that, I have no choice.  I'll make an attempt at unloading it, if I can't, I'll figure things out as they occur. 

ken

#39 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:30 AM

that be hard to do tell them what a peace of sxxx it is and then say by the way i want XXXX for it??

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#40 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

that be hard to do tell them what a peace of sxxx it is and then say by the way i want XXXX for it??

And therein lies my conundrum.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In