77 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 03:16 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:32 AM

I’m ALWAYS reluctant to be excessively negative, particularly when it is in the form of a product review, HOWEVER, I am seriously dissatisfied with the build quality of my new truck camper. If this is an issue with the forum administrator, delete this post if necessary. The bottom line, if I wanted to spend time making repairs, I would have purchased a used camper.

Frankly, I will NEVER again buy another product from Travel Lite. Our maiden voyage of a month is nearing completion. So far, 3 cabinet door hinges had to be tightened because they were falling off. The smoke detector fell out of the ceiling. A light fixture mounted to the ceiling over the bed area is mounted with one of two screws because the hole cut into the ceiling to accommodate the wiring is too large and the light fixture is flapping in the breeze. The toilet is so flimsy, my wife is afraid to sit on it. The brackets that hold the awning braces had to be “adjusted” so they would fit into the carriers. The water tank vent was kinked, preventing filling the tank with a hose. The dinette seats are already flattened, so seating is on plywood. The drawers are laughable, there is nothing to hold them in place laterally (no drawer slides) The water pump makes more noise than my generator and can’t be used (i.e. flushing toilet) if anyone is trying to sleep. But the VERY best part of all ………. the bracket that holds the dinette table to the vertical metal bar broke when dinner was placed on one end of the table causing a lovely and VERY hot casserole to spill all over the inside of the camper and onto two rather startled dogs.

We are already figuring out how to sell this camper before things get any worse and we have to take even MORE of a financial beating. A VERY depressing prospect, as we haven’t even made our first payment yet.

Yes, many of these issues can, and will be resolved my me (some already have), but this camper is BRAND NEW. This is certainly not a “high end” camper. $23,000 may not be a lot of money to many people, but it is a HUGE sum of money to someone on a fixed income and I’m REALLY beginning to regret my decision to sell my Class B camper.

After waiting for over two months for delivery of a “new” camper, this has been a HUGE disappointment to both my wife and myself putting a serious damper on our very first month long road trip. I will be contacting both the seller and manufacturer, but frankly, I don’t expect anything other than the very slight satisfaction of venting at them.

#2 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Local time: 12:16 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 28 May 2015 - 02:46 AM

That is really depressing that you have had so many issues with your new camper. It shouldn't matter how much you paid for it. No one should experience problems like this. I would definitely contact the manufacturer. Do you have lemon laws in your state that might give you some kind of protection? Keep us posted on how things are going.

And it is perfectly fine to post what you did.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#3 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • State/Province or Region:South Dakota
  • Interests:full time RVing, hiking, photography,whittling, straight razor shaving,fishing,blog: http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/
  • Camper Brand:AF 1150, wet bath, Solar
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 Supercab, 4x4, DWR, 6.2L, 4.30 gear, Camper package,13,300 GVWR, custom Reading service body, Hellwig Big Wig sway bar, Torklift tiedowns, Stable Loads & Fast Guns

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:10 AM

Terrible! I realize that ALL RV's aren't what I would consider "high quality" built, but this is ridiculous. You have my sympathy and hope something works out with the dealer or manufacturer. $23,000.00 IS a lot of money.

I'm beginning to think a real quality RV will never be a  reality.

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:17 AM

yes, for that amount of money there should NOT be all those issues. by the way, thats what i paid for my camper and i would be very upset if i had those issues. the noisy pump....could be as simple as needing the filter cleaned out. i did have an issue with mine after a first use and it turned out a couple pieces of debris from new construction (plastic pipe burr) got the filter blocked. after removal of the debris it was fine. the other issues you have...thats just pathetic. sorry for the issues. i hope the dealer/manufacturer treat you right.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#5 OFFLINE   Shellback

Shellback

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 262 posts
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Four Wheel Grandby
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 Silverado 1500
  • Name (Public):Shellback

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:20 AM

As the owner of a 2013 Travel Lite 770SL, there is no such thing as quality control at Travel Lite. My unit showed complete lack of craftsmanship. Their builders need a foot where the sun never shines. Seeing how the unit was originally constructed, I wouldn't even consider letting them do any warranty work. 

#6 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

Well, like I said, I'll resolve some of the issues myself. I was going to pull the pump out to inspect it, and isolate it on foam mounting. I never even THOUGHT about warranty issues, if I had, I wouldn't have purchased from a dealer that was 2 hours away, or from a manufacturer from Ohio. It's a truck camper, not a class A,B,or C with a mechanical drive train to worry about.

Lemon laws generally ONLY apply if the unit in question can not be repaired to manufacturers specs, or done so in a timely manner. I have NO confidence in the dealer I purchased it from to do any repairs. These are the same guys that thought stacking plywood sheets under the camper was a good idea.

There are several other problems I forgot all about, like the refrigerator that didn't drain, the fold down entry step that bends precariously when you actually use it as a step, the list is seemingly endless ....... SIGH

I'm FASCINATED that these units received a decent review from Truck Camper Magazine. I have to say, their credibility is now suspect in my eyes. Their review was partly responsible for my purchase.

I wonder if anyone at Travel Lite reads these forums.

On a high note, during the 2500 mile maiden voyage, my truck performed flawlessly, as did my Harley and motorcycle trailer. ;-)

ken

Edited by hempomatic@gmail.com, 28 May 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • State/Province or Region:South Dakota
  • Interests:full time RVing, hiking, photography,whittling, straight razor shaving,fishing,blog: http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/
  • Camper Brand:AF 1150, wet bath, Solar
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 Supercab, 4x4, DWR, 6.2L, 4.30 gear, Camper package,13,300 GVWR, custom Reading service body, Hellwig Big Wig sway bar, Torklift tiedowns, Stable Loads & Fast Guns

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:17 PM

Has TCM ever had anything bad to say about any truck camper? Not exactly a Consumer's Report or Practical Sailor type magazine, is it? 

I found RV Consumer Group to be more critical when needed.

Edited by Skipper Dave, 28 May 2015 - 06:20 PM.

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   kerry4951

kerry4951

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Pa.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Arctic Fox 1140
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Kerry

Posted 28 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

Good point Dave...my feelings exactly. Any TC that they use and review is coming from one of their paid sponsors. You can also bet that every TC that they take out to use and review has been gone over closely by the manufacturer or dealer and given a PDI that you and I would never get.  I enjoy the TCM articles but I would not rely on any RV review unless it was from an independent 3rd party that had no financial interest in the product or the company that makes the product. 

#9 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 01:16 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

I never realized they cost that much. I always considered them a very low end camper based on the ones I have seen. BTW we do not delete negative reports.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#10 OFFLINE   gandydancer

gandydancer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 118 posts
  • Local time: 02:16 AM
  • State/Province or Region:KS
  • Interests:Backpacking, bicycling, boating, camping, canoeing, fishing, hiking, hunting, kayaking, rafting and travelling
  • Camper Brand:2012 Travel Lite 960RX
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas
  • Name (Public):John Patterson

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:38 AM

As the owner of a 2012 Travel Lite 960RX I can honestly say that I have never experienced the problems that you are going through. I really don't know quite what to say except that this shouldn't be happening to you. I have heard that at the end of 2012 or the beginning of 2013 there was a major shakeup at Travel Lite where their most experienced and dependable lead foreman walked out on them and over three fourths of the production crews did the same. To replace the ones that walked off the job, Travel Lite started hiring people that had no knowledge of what they were doing or why they were doing it coupled together with absolutely no guidance from management thus creating havoc of poor quality workmanship that looks like it still exists today. I have to admit that Travel Lite has very poor customer service if you want to call it that. They hardly ever respond to telephone calls and they never respond to e-mails. I'm sorry that the dealership you bought the camper from is not very reliable as this would be the place to start in my opinion as the manufacturer will probably not help you out.           

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas

2012 Travel Lite 960RX

Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load Maximum Security Cargo Tray

Champion Power Equipment 73540i 2000 watt portable inverter generator

Timbren SES

Curt front mount hitch receiver

Time flies when you're having fun or is it time's fun when you're having flies     

#11 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:12 AM

You would think in today's age of social media and forums, manufacturers would be working hard at producing a quality product since the word about a poorly-built unit spreads quickly. And if they did have a defective unit that someone is dealing with, they would be stepping up to the plate to rectify it quickly and to the customer's satisfaction. Maybe some manufacturers just don't care. Eventually it will catch up with them because people will stop buying their products based on reviews and comments posted online from others. SMH.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#12 OFFLINE   Shellback

Shellback

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 262 posts
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Four Wheel Grandby
  • Truck Make & Model:2016 Silverado 1500
  • Name (Public):Shellback

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

As the owner of a 2012 Travel Lite 960RX I can honestly say that I have never experienced the problems that you are going through. I really don't know quite what to say except that this shouldn't be happening to you. I have heard that at the end of 2012 or the beginning of 2013 there was a major shakeup at Travel Lite where their most experienced and dependable lead foreman walked out on them and over three fourths of the production crews did the same. To replace the ones that walked off the job, Travel Lite started hiring people that had no knowledge of what they were doing or why they were doing it coupled together with absolutely no guidance from management thus creating havoc of poor quality workmanship that looks like it still exists today. I have to admit that Travel Lite has very poor customer service if you want to call it that. They hardly ever respond to telephone calls and they never respond to e-mails. I'm sorry that the dealership you bought the camper from is not very reliable as this would be the place to start in my opinion as the manufacturer will probably not help you out.           

My unit was made in in August of 2012.. I'd have to think that my unit was manufactured after the shake up. Or the lead foreman walked out because he didn't have any dependable help and didn't want to be connected with what they were passing off to customers.

#13 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

I wrote to the dealer explaining the issue with the table pedestal and they shipped the part yesterday UPS, Should have it Monday. I mentioned there dozens of other issues without elaborating on any specifics. No apologies, no "if there's anything we can do to help". That was a little discouraging, but frankly, I had no intention of them doing any actual repairs. Once I get the postal mount, I'm going to get a piece of plywood and reduce the size of the actual table by about 25%. The table is also used for the lower bed and is too long to serve as dinette table because it makes the seats very difficult to get in and out of. I can easily store the "tabletop" under the mattress if I ever actually NEED the additional bed.

ken

#14 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:48 AM

I wrote to the dealer explaining the issue with the table pedestal and they shipped the part yesterday UPS, Should have it Monday. I mentioned there dozens of other issues without elaborating on any specifics. No apologies, no "if there's anything we can do to help". That was a little discouraging, but frankly, I had no intention of them doing any actual repairs. Once I get the postal mount, I'm going to get a piece of plywood and reduce the size of the actual table by about 25%. The table is also used for the lower bed and is too long to serve as dinette table because it makes the seats very difficult to get in and out of. I can easily store the "tabletop" under the mattress if I ever actually NEED the additional bed.

ken

#15 OFFLINE   kerry4951

kerry4951

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:49 AM

You can bet you are not the only customer who that dealer sold an inferior Travel Lite TC to. What amazes me is why a dealer would continue to sell a product like that. When I had my business the worse thing I wanted to hear were rampant complaints from customers, but if you did get a complaint you try to help out the customer to make things better. This dealer is hoping that you just give up and go away, and thats why they never offered to help out. At this point hes hoping you loose their email address and phone number.

#16 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

I'm surprised I haven't heard more negative responses, there HAVE to be more than 3 Travel Lite owners unless of course, either I'm the guy with the lemon, OR people don't know what quality is. Frankly, if this was my first foray into RV's I'd probably assume they were all kind of junky. I had a Roadtrek class B before this and although not perfect, the build quality and components were dramatically superior to what I see here. Live and learn.

Here's something I didn't notice either. There is nowhere to sit comfortably in this thing, to read a book or listen to music on a rainy day, etc.

As far as the dealer, they are a family business, I had high hopes and was even considering a small Class A in a few years if we decide to go full or almost full time. They lost my business.

ken

Edited by hempomatic@gmail.com, 31 May 2015 - 05:14 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   nyrblue

nyrblue

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 09:16 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ontario

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:48 AM

my wife and I had bought a used travel lite 800sb our only issue was the lack of care it came from. We learned from the experience and plan to give travel lite truck camper our business. We are buying from a family owned respected business in the Ontario area. Our plan is the 800sbx model pretty much what we had as we enjoyed it. If it wasn't for selling it off so fast we would have fixed it. I'm sure there are many upset customers with issues on other models. I for one like the affordable TC and I can be satisfied with what we do. 

#18 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 01:16 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:27 AM

I hate dealers. The one I bought my trailer from installed a slide awning such that the roller contacted the edge of the slide. Second trip out it was already ripping. They now claim it was a design flaw form Dometic and want me to pay for the replacement. Dometic sent me a PDF that shows a spacer for this sort of thing. They did not install one. I told them, you sold it, you installed it, you fix it. next stop is the BBB where they have an A+ rating (never believe the BBB). They also installed a grab handle crooked and a solar panel they did not hook up on the roof.

awning.jpg

awning3.jpg

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#19 OFFLINE   kerry4951

kerry4951

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:32 AM

" OR people don't know what quality is". 

Thats a lot of it right there.

Ive owned 4 RVs in my lifetime.....a Class B, two Class A's, and my TC.  Out of all the RVs that Ive owned, I will say that this Arctic Fox TC is by far the best built in overall quality, fit and finish, and durability. I am pretty familiar with overall quality because I spent most of my career in the construction industry and I will say that this Northwood product (Arctic Fox) is pretty darn good.  After using it for over 5 years we have had many trouble free trips. I cant say that for the last Class A that I had. That thing was always falling apart to the point where I would start a written list and keep track of the things that needed fixed or repaired once I got home. I dont think I ever came home with an empty list.  

#20 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:33 AM

Attached are two pictures, one of the dinette table. You can clearly see the warp in it. It is also too long making it difficult to get in and out of the dining area without turning the table. I believe that's what caused it to fail prematurely. The warped table was another issue. The dinette table can now be stowed beneath the mattress (no pedestal mount) and getting in and out of the dinette area is now a breeze. The cutting board is a LITTLE bit TOO small, we'll see how it works out in 2 weeks when we take another trip. Little by little, I'll work out the issues that I can, and learn to live with the ones I can't. I'm stuck with it for a while I guess, so we'll just make the best of it. Little alternative really.

CAM00656_zpszdv2efjw.jpg

CAM00658_zpsks88mpcb.jpg

Edited by hempomatic@gmail.com, 02 June 2015 - 08:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In