• 2399 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:19 PM

Theodore Roosevelt’s ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

Posted Image

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

#2 OFFLINE   ChopperBill

ChopperBill

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1224 posts
  • Local time: 12:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:CO
  • Camper Brand:NUWA Hitch Hiker 29.5FKTS
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC 2500HD D/A
  • Name (Public):Bill

Posted 07 December 2005 - 02:30 PM

Teddy would be rolling in his grave here in Northern Colo. Lots of stores here have signs in Spanish, CAPTIONED in English! :lol:

Northern Colorado

#3 OFFLINE   Oregon_Trail

Oregon_Trail

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 186 posts
  • Local time: 10:22 AM
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 F350 DRW
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:04 PM

I don't recall having heard any criticism of old Teddy for not speaking his mind. He usually had a really good grip on good old common horse-sense.

04 F350 Lariat 'LE' 4X4, PSD, CC, DRW, Auto
Riderite's, Rancho 9000X's, Torklift Fastguns & Tiedowns
04 Arctic Fox 990S, AC, Onan Gen
My Webpage

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety~B. Franklin
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.~T. Jefferson

#4 OFFLINE   jponder

jponder

Poster

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 03:46 PM

I don't recall having heard any criticism of old Teddy for not speaking his mind. He usually had a really good grip on good old common horse-sense.

Yeah teddy, If i remember correctly his family were Dutch immigrants. I read a book about him a number of years ago. I dont know if his dad or grandpa were the first here but i dont think it was many generations removed from their motherland. Obviously he had to be born in the USA or he could never have been President

he was a real sickly kid, fought ailments and such but his family was very successfull and they took trips all over the world, he was very active in Taxidermy at a young age and was very fascinated by Natural Science.

Thanks for that Photo! Take a second and just think about what it must have been like to show up and here him speak to that crowd with no microphone or anything. I'd give anything to go back in time and hear a spirited speaker like him talk to a big crowd like that! Must have been been inspiring

#5 OFFLINE   Oregon_Trail

Oregon_Trail

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 186 posts
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 F350 DRW
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:46 PM

...think about what it must have been like to show up and here him speak to that crowd with no microphone or anything. I'd give anything to go back in time and hear a spirited speaker like him talk to a big crowd like that! Must have been been inspiring

Right on, I think it would have been great.

What I find disappointing in looking at this photo is to consider the last time I saw a picture of a US President, outside of a well choreographed political event, immersed in a group of citizens as he spoke to them. Can you imagine such a scene today? The secret service would have a cow, and probably with good cause. It sure is sad to think about some of the changes in our society.

04 F350 Lariat 'LE' 4X4, PSD, CC, DRW, Auto
Riderite's, Rancho 9000X's, Torklift Fastguns & Tiedowns
04 Arctic Fox 990S, AC, Onan Gen
My Webpage

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety~B. Franklin
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.~T. Jefferson

#6 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:50 PM

Hard to argue with that, but the fact of the matter is immigrants do alter the culture & language. In his day, most immigrants were coming from Europe & the cultrual differences were few. Now we have a large influxes of immigrants from Asia, the middle east & places that have a vastly different culture. The effects of that are certainly obvious in Vancouver, where parts of the suburb of Delta look more like Bombay than Canada.

In the US the effects of Hispanic immigration certainly has an effect on the language. I suspect Spanglish will eventually become the language of the day. Mind you language has always been fluid. I doubt if we developed a time machine & could travel back to 1700's England, that any of us could be understood.

What I find disappointing in looking at this photo is to consider the last time I saw a picture of a US President, outside of a well choreographed political event, immersed in a group of citizens as he spoke to them. Can you imagine such a scene today? The secret service would have a cow, and probably with good cause. It sure is sad to think about some of the changes in our society.

I guess we are still fortunate in Canada, in that we can still do that. If anyone ever saw the Cnadian show "This hour has 22 Minutes', they will remember Marg Delehunty, the warrior princess who regulary trapped politicians in embarrasing situations

Here she is with Stephen Harper, Conservative Party leader

Posted Image

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#7 OFFLINE   Bigf00t

Bigf00t

Uber Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 1956 posts
  • State/Province or Region:B.C
  • Interests:Camping........Is there anything else ???
  • Camper Brand:2010 Northern Lite 10.2RR
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 GMC 3500 SRW
  • Name (Public):Ron

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:34 PM

And the Canadian politicians play along with the gags too, It`s hilarious to watch them squirm when Marg asks them embarrassing questions. :lol:
<strong class='bbc'>2010 Northern Lite Ten-2000 10.2RR,PD4645 converter upgrade,2x80W Sharp solar panels,stainless FastGuns<br />
2004 GMC 3500 SRW Ext. Cab 4X4 Duramax/Allison,Torklift Tie Downs,Torklift Stable Loads, Racor Pre Filter, Rancho 9000`s, Firestone Air Bags w/ in cab controller<br />
<br />
Pitt Meadows,B.C.</strong><br />
<br />

#8 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12484 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 05:55 PM

The funny thing is, you used to be able to find video clips on the net. No more. Makes me wonder if they have a DVD in the works. I'll say one thing about Marg she is merciless, not matter what political stripe the politician is. The smart ones play along, and show they have a sense of humor, otherwise they look real foolish.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#9 OFFLINE   jponder

jponder

Poster

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:22 PM

oh heck, looks like the Canada people are going to hijack the thread

TEDDY BABY! DEAL WITH IT!

next thing ya know we will be talking about canada Football

#10 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12484 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:31 PM

Uh oh. I guess this is not the time to mention 3 downs.

Actually, this SITE is a good one for comparing the differences between Canadian & American football. Its interesting to note that the game was in Canada first. (picture P Beddows sticking tongue out at jponder :lol: )

On second thought, how come the worlds most popular game, soccer, never caught on in North America?

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#11 OFFLINE   jponder

jponder

Poster

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:38 PM

Uh oh. I guess this is not the time to mention 3 downs.

Actually, this SITE is a good one for comparing the differences between Canadian & American football. Its interesting to note that the game was in Canada first. (picture P Beddows sticking tongue out at jponder :lol: )

On second thought, how come the worlds most popular game, soccer, never caught on in North America?

Come on Beddows this thread was about our great leader Teddy, USA people hate canada just like yall hate the USA. Stick to hockey where you have a chance!

I'll take Mexico over canada any day of the week, canada is like Guatemala

#12 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12484 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:48 PM

I know you're just pulling my chain. Despite the tensions over the last couple of years, we are the best friend the US has, & you ours (Quebec excepted, of course).

Actually, I'm very familiar with Guatemala. My wife & I worked for the government down there a couple of summers doing an environmental study of Lake Atitlan, the worlds most beautiful lake.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#13 OFFLINE   jponder

jponder

Poster

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:00 PM

I know you're just pulling my chain. Despite the tensions over the last couple of years, we are the best friend the US has, & you ours (Quebec excepted, of course).

Actually, I'm very familiar with Guatemala. My wife & I worked for the government down there a couple of summers doing an environmental study of Lake Atitlan, the worlds most beautiful lake.

Okay you are right, canada is our friend but there is lots of tension and i started another thread to discuss the details. I'd really like to go to Guatemala, and i do eny yall for your easy access to cuba

#14 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4241 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:05 PM

this went totaly off subject ..as well there is no need to trash canada or u.s. for this reason i am closeing this

Dan
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In