Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 753 posts
  • Local time: 02:48 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 20 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

now is Kenai AK, tomorrow down to Homer, AK.

we plan to take the Alaska ferry from Haines to Bellingham on Aug 8th.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#102 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

now in Homer, AK. spent two nites in Ninilchik State CG. first day wx was great. fantastic view of bay and mountains. will spend two days here then start back.

not sure of the route. must be in Haines Aug 8th to catch ferry boat.

stuart

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#103 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:44 AM

now iin Chicken, AK. decided not to do the TOW. reports are the road is very rough, so we will take plan B to save marriage.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#104 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

now in Whitehorse, Yukon, be here two days/nights and do the visit thing. Tomorrow, Friday, we head for Skagway for two nights then to Haines.

so far the wx has been fair. last couple of days been very nice.

see ya

stuart

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#105 OFFLINE   bob the blacksmith

bob the blacksmith

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 11:48 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500 Dually

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:27 PM

Just looked at this thread today. Wife and I are on our way home to Pa from Alaska. Started out June 2nd and are In Chetwynd BC now. Figure on being home by Aug 20 or so. Have had a Great trip and mostly beautiful weather so far. Some mud and rain but not much. Would love to go back in a couple of years. This tiny house living takes some getting used to. LOL

#106 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 464 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

We are nearing the end of our 2.5 month trip to Alaska. Currently in Libby, MT for 3 nights, then Kalispell, MT for 3 more before we join the NATCOA gang at West Glacier N.P. next week.

It's been one hell of a trip. Got several new beauty marks on the trucks windshield due to flying stones up north. Had 3 stars fixed in Whitehorse while passing through.

F-550 towing the 31' 5er (See-More) is getting 10.4 mpg on diesel.

Truck has 1,050 miles till it's due another oil/filter and and lube servicing which will wait till I get home and can do it myself at my shop labor rate.

Diesel up north has been all over the chart. Low in Calgary compared to BC and the Yukon. Saw a low of $0.84 per litre in Alberta for awhile but highs have been in the $1.30 per liter range and a couple places in one town asking $1.84 per liter for diesel. We did not stop as we were not needing liquid gold at that time.

We did great halibut fishing out of Homer Spit with friends on their boat ( The "Bernie C" piloted by Hook and First Mate Bernie) and limited in just over one hour for 4 people. We are shipping 39 lbs of processed halibut fillets home valued at $1,000.00 at the current retail rate as I found in Wasilla, AK at a Safeway store. $26.99 per lb for fresh halibut fillets.  We will of course have a Lumis Armored Truck deliver our catch when it arrives in WA.   Fish and chips for us this winter.  Umm

Well, time for happy hour and dinner.  Got a bonfire to build. 

george.png

Mr Firewood will be busy!  Should have brought more axe for sure for this Montana firewood.

George (Note: That's not my Ding a Ling in the photo it's my belt) 

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#107 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:04 PM

we are now in Washington. took the ferry boat down to Bellingham. left Skagway on Monday 8-8 got here today 8-12. trip down has nice. had time to relax and no driving. plan to spend couple of days in Idaho then on to Glacier.

today was a long day, temps were in the 90's. not used to that.

stuart

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#108 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1411 posts
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

We're not far from Bellingham - Right now we are camping in Birch Bay where they have a classic car show the next two days.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, Borg Warner 44-47 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#109 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 464 posts
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

Sally and I are home!  Feels good.  Had a great 10k mile trip.  Damn, home lawn looks the best it has since I moved here 10years ago.  Only cost a couple hundred dollars in excessive water usage to keep it green this summer.   The sprinkler system is shut off for now to stop the drain on my wallet.  But given our summer fire history it was worth the extra protection around the house while away. 

-George

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#110 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:10 AM

we are now HOME. got here yesterday. was a 60 day trip. and the last long one.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#111 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Local time: 10:48 AM
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:06 PM

we are now HOME. got here yesterday. was a 60 day trip. and the last long one.

Glad you made it home safely. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing you and Darlene again. Keeping my fingers crossed for October that we can see you both again.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#112 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Local time: 10:48 AM
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:24 PM

Also, I HIGHLY recommend if you want to see Alaska and the Western Canadian provinces, do it in a truck camper. Why? Having towed our fifth wheel up and back, the extra length was more stressful IMO. Our trailer really took a beating on some of the rougher roads.  If I had to do it over again, I would do so in our TC. Of course, Mom would have to stay home. :D

Having a smaller footprint definitely makes things easier when it comes to getting a campsite. Then again, being able to quickly drop our 5'er to go sightseeing certainly had its benefits.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In