• 2160 posts
  • Local time: 12:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:56 AM

Those traveling to Alaska going through Canada your Medicare doesn't cover you out of the U.S.
Unless you go directly with no long stops. Make sure your suplament ins. Covers you out of the country.
Learned after a $64,000 emergency air lift to Seattle.

This is important.  Canada is a foreign country (to Americans) and travel insurance should be considered when traveling there.

Getting to Alaska via the AlCan is largely travel through Canada.

If you are injured and need a flight back to the US, you are also required to have a travel companion - you can't travel alone.  If your travel companion needs to be a medical type person, the costs can really skyrocket.

$50,000 USD is pretty much the minimum out-of-pocket cost that it would cost to fly back to the US without travel insurance coverage according to  my research prior to traveling in South America.

#42 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

Those traveling to Alaska going through Canada your Medicare doesn't cover you out of the U.S.
Unless you go directly with no long stops. Make sure your suplament ins. Covers you out of the country.
Learned after a $64,000 emergency air lift to Seattle.

64K? That is huge, why didn't you just let them take you to a hospital in Canada, it probably would have been a lot cheaper. Medical costs are far lower than the US. I suppose it depends on what it was & how long in hospital. Canadian medicare will cover Canadians abroad, but only up to what it would cost in Canada. It covered me for 3 days in hospital in Mazatlan in Feb, but it would not have in the US.

It is very easy when traveling in the US or Canada to forget they are 2 different countries. As I have heard, the definition of a Canadian is an unarmed American on medicare. That is pretty much the distinction, so its easy to forget you are in a foreign country.

IF you have spot product (http://www.findmespot.com/en/) you can get quite cheap medivac insurance. see http://www.geosallia...al-evacuation/

$200 a year per couple.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#43 OFFLINE   KRB

KRB

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Minnesota
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

We were in a hospital in Canada, they said to get him to the U.S as they couldn't treat him as every organ was shuting down.
66 years old & never been hospitalized before. If he hadn't been so healthy he wouldn't of survived.
That's what a tick bite can do to a 6'3" 220 lb. man. Rocky Mountain spotted fever. 10 days in hospital in Seattle 4 in ICU.
Fully recovered after about 6 weeks with little side affects. Thanks to the DR. In the USA.
We plan on another Alaska driving trip. The 4th.

#44 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

Even in Anchorage they will airlift you to Seattle for the really serious problems.  

I suppose that Medicare would cover that. . .

#45 OFFLINE   KRB

KRB

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Minnesota
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:40 PM

We were in Prince Rupert waiting to get on the ferry. A long way from Anchorage.
Medicare finally covered some of it after several months and 3 appeals.

#46 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 472 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 AM
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:10 PM

I got sick years ago traveling up the Alcan.  Sick as a dog, not fun when you are camping in a tent.  Can't remember where my X and I were but we found a clinic in a little town.  Little Asian Dr. Woman in a white house with a white picket fence saw me.  Diagnosis was I had the crud, you will live and I got a small paper bill like you would get at a diner for her services.  I submitted to my work insurance company and they covered it. 

Yes med-e-vacs from AK are expensive.  Airlift Northwest on a Lear Jet was around $30,000.00 10 years ago to SEA and Harborview.  I've sent many.

Did one for a co-workers uncle who was hunting on Admiralty Island West of JNU.  There are more Grizzly bears then people on this island.  Guy called 911 and got me.  Screaming he had been mauled by a brown bear and it had torn his scalp off.   I sent a helicopter who brought him to JNU and they shipped him by Jet to Harborview Medical Center to get his scalp reattached via surgery.  I got a very heart felt thank you via my co-worker from his uncle who I didn't know was related to someone I was working with at the time a couple months later once he recovered. and was back in JNU.

BUT, travel in any foreign country outside the US runs a risk if you suffer medical issues.   I was on a motorcycle tour in Mexico a number of years ago when we had a tour member crash his MC and injure he and his wife.  They were transported roughly an hour east to Juarez and treated there.  They were released with minimal treatment and once back home in Illinois spent the next year getting real treatment to fix their injuries from the MC crash they suffered due to a Tope entering a small town south of the US and Mexico boarder.

Then there was the Spring I rode my MC from Central Mexico back home in AK and an Artic Front came rolling down through Canada.  Left SEA and it was in the upper 70's, got to Chetwynd, BC and it was nice.  Next morning it was snowing and freezing.  Spent an extra night due to snow and the next morning it was near +5F outside.  Off I went on my return to home in JNU AK.  Got to Pink Mtn and it was snowing like crazy and the stanky hotel there was booked full up so I continued on north.  Further north during a fuel stop vehicles were stopping to bust snow out of their front wheel wells so they could steer their vehicles.  My bike was froze up but ride able.  Front rotors where coated in ice.   Ahhh to be younger and stupid again.  I survived and rode north as the artic front moved south.  IT SUCKED...

I'm happy to be alive.

George

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#47 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:15 AM

While the State Department has not yet issued a warning on visiting Alaska, it should be noted that Alaska has the highest firearm deaths in the United States.

Compare;

Alaska's firearm death rate:  19.6 per 100,000

Mexico's firearm death rate:  11.1 per 100,000

Just sayin'. . .

http://247wallst.com...gun-violence/4/

http://en.wikipedia....ated_death_rate

#48 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1445 posts
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:03 PM

I question accurate reporting in MX.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, Borg Warner 44-47 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, 6-stair Revolution GlowSteps, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#49 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

I question accurate reporting in MX.

It's pretty hard to argue with a dead body.

#50 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 11 June 2015 - 04:19 PM

I run into this all the time regarding Mexico. most firearm deaths down there involve Cartels & police, not so many with the general public.

BTW if you ever need a hospital in Mazatlan, tell them to take you to Sharp. I spent 3 days in there, it was excellent.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#51 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:00 PM

Of course Alaska is not dangerous. . .they paint the whole state as certain firearm death.  Just like they paint the entire country of Mexico as violence.  I bet most of the firearm problems are in Anchorage and other urban areas.  And half of those are people shooting themselves. . .

#52 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts
  • Local time: 03:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:50 PM

270 days to go.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#53 OFFLINE   Hook

Hook

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 96 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Alaska
  • Interests:Flying and Fishing
  • Camper Brand:Summerwind 806
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC D-Max Allison

Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:25 PM

270 days to go.

And what is that date Stuart,  my brain can't compute.

We drove down the Alcan and up the Cassier this summer on the way to the National Campout at the Springs.  Construction as usual, no problems that I did not expect, window chip and getting dirty, etc.  Had a flat on inside dual in New Mexico at 104 degrees F :scared0011:  valve stem failure.  Had road side insurance but wasn't about to wait the 4 to 6 hours for them to get there, changed it out in 30 minutes.  BTW this was a motorhome. I did not realize how long it takes to spin off and on 10 lug nuts at 104 degrees.  I will start packing the electric impact.

I hope some of you plan to my earlier post in this thread, offer still stands.   Halibut :party0021: 

King Titera 

Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC D-Max Allison Supersprings Torqlift
Summer Wind 806 TC
Rage'n FS 2600 Toy Hauler
Winnebago 30T Motorhome
"Kik-n-but" 23' Atec modified twin 90HP Yamaha's full electronics
Hewes 20' Open Fisherman 50HP Yamaha w/9.9 kicker Kenai River Special
Polaris Razr
28' Bayweld 300HP Suzuki saltwater heated cabin bathroom :D

#54 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 04:17 AM

planned depart date June 18th, 2016.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#55 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1958 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

My plans up north our a few years off.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#56 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:28 AM

240 days to go.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#57 OFFLINE   gandydancer

gandydancer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 118 posts
  • State/Province or Region:KS
  • Interests:Backpacking, bicycling, boating, camping, canoeing, fishing, hiking, hunting, kayaking, rafting and travelling
  • Camper Brand:2012 Travel Lite 960RX
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas
  • Name (Public):John Patterson

Posted 19 October 2015 - 06:35 PM

Just in case anyone is interested there is an article in Truck Camper Magazine dated October 16th titled 2017 Alaska Truck Camping Tour Proposed by Gordon White. Gordon tells about how Charlie Coushaine is exploring the idea of organizing a professionally guided 2017 Alaska Truck Camping Tour for 37 days from June 1 to July 7 of 2017. The tour starts in Hazelton, British Columbia and ends in Kenai, Alaska allowing you plenty of time to further explore Alaska on your own. This tour will be limited to the first twenty-eight to sign up. You must book by January 1, 2016. If you're interested in more information about this tour, please contact Charlie Coushaine at coushaine@gmail.com.    

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas

2012 Travel Lite 960RX

Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load Maximum Security Cargo Tray

Champion Power Equipment 73540i 2000 watt portable inverter generator

Timbren SES

Curt front mount hitch receiver

Time flies when you're having fun or is it time's fun when you're having flies

I never make the same mistake twice as I do it five or six times just to make sure     

#58 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 AM
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:35 AM

Luckily I have my own personal tour guide in George (aka Mr. Firewood) for our 2016 trip. Sounds like a nice option for those wanting to go in 2017 though.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#59 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

there is a 'paid caravan' operator, RVAlaska, who runs this same tour. Departs from the same place on the same date, ends in the same place, and is the same length, with the same amenities. I suspect that this is the same outfit. Pretty smart huh. I have previously checked them out and one of the things I do not care for is they do not take the Alaska hiway North. Plus it appears that you travel as a group. The tour ends in Kenai and then you are on your own to stay and visit longer or return any way you wish.

you can check them out at

www.rvalaskatours.com  

the cost for the 37 day caravan is $7645.

I am not sure if this fellow is connected with RVAlaska or not, but it sounds like he is.

Stuart

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#60 OFFLINE   gandydancer

gandydancer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 118 posts
  • State/Province or Region:KS
  • Interests:Backpacking, bicycling, boating, camping, canoeing, fishing, hiking, hunting, kayaking, rafting and travelling
  • Camper Brand:2012 Travel Lite 960RX
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas
  • Name (Public):John Patterson

Posted 20 October 2015 - 09:46 AM

You are probably right about the tour Stuart, but this particular tour in 2017 is for truck campers only and no Motorhomes, Fifth Wheels or pull behind Trailers are tagging along. A trip like this for truck campers only by professional tour guides would be an awesome adventure for anyone who has never been to Alaska. I would think that a tour like this would be more fun and enable a person to see more sights than someone trying to do it alone by themselves. The cost for this 37 day adventure seems reasonable enough considering everything that is included with the price.        

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas

2012 Travel Lite 960RX

Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load Maximum Security Cargo Tray

Champion Power Equipment 73540i 2000 watt portable inverter generator

Timbren SES

Curt front mount hitch receiver

Time flies when you're having fun or is it time's fun when you're having flies

I never make the same mistake twice as I do it five or six times just to make sure     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In