• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts
  • Local time: 09:49 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

My vote Sally also.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#22 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1958 posts
  • Local time: 08:49 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:46 AM

OK Sally has the job

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#23 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Local time: 07:49 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:11 AM

You guys are killing me.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#24 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:03 AM

ok, ok , Sally, our fearless leader, lead on, forward we go.

GO Seahawks , - gee what I just say ?

I must need a nap.

What football?

Needs what ?

Air?

why does it need air? Brady told me to let out the air.

Edited by stuwu4s, 21 May 2015 - 11:12 AM.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#25 OFFLINE   pscansetzer

pscansetzer

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 71 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 PM
  • Interests:Traveling with my wife! 6 cross country trips and counting. Fly fishing, hiking, drift boats, Native Americans and Lewis and Clark.
  • Camper Brand:2018 Northern Lite 9-6 Q SE
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW w/ a Towed Jeep Wrangler
  • Name (Public):Jim & Tam

Posted 22 May 2015 - 08:22 PM

Well, this is a very interesting string.....A caravan to Alaska - for us a trip like is part of the reason we purchased a TC rig.  We always talk about that trip.  2019 is feasible for us.  2016 a bit to soon.  Smaller groups converging into one group for an Alaska Rally would be the ticket.  The smaller groups could self-govern and meeting up in central Alaska would be the trip of a lifetime.

Your thoughts?

Jim & Tam Setzer

NC & MT

"Keep close to Nature’s heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean."

John Muir

#26 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1958 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:20 AM

I have my route layed out all 4400 miles one way. Need to look at the stops and sights along the route. Oh more important the way back. That might be a good thing wife giving me an evil eye she hates the cold.

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#27 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

i compute my miles at 4700, starting at Dawson Creek and ending at Prince George, then another 5600 getting  there and back.

Total 10300 not counting drive around miles. kinda of a lot.

At 15 mpg going to be a bit expensive.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#28 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

What are the must-sees for you? If we do A caravan, it would be nice to try and incorporate as much as possible.

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#29 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1958 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:37 PM

Were game for anything almost walking a lot is my worst at the moment. Looking at back surgery, want to put it off as long as I can at least to just before I retire or in the start of my last year. They hate me a nice long vaction from them then up and retire. I like to see the underground city in Seattle think that where it was heard about it when I lived there. And there is a old fort or is it just gun inplacements north of Seattle. In Alaska the pipeline and the last tree north. 

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#30 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts
  • Local time: 06:49 PM
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:26 AM

Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping: Alaska and Yukon Camping With RV or Tent (Traveler's Guide series) Paperback – January 31, 2014

This is the Mike and Terri Church book on Alaska travel and maybe the best guide book for an RV traveler.  Lots of camping places and things to do.  Its a lot of reading but I found myself repeatedly resorting to it in my planning process.

#31 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:58 AM

for those of you who would like to plan things to do along the way, I suggest you check out the below.

www.rvadventuretreks.com/50daytrekoverview.htm

check on the 'itinerary' to see a day by day 'things to do'.

be forewarned this is one of those dreaded 'commercial caravans'. but you can see where they go on their  tour.

there is also a 'tour saver coupon booklet you can  buy. cost $100 , but you buy one ticket and get two tickets for the price of one.  for example -  the Fairbanks river boat you can save the cost of the booklet on the  one event. it is one of the best events.

also a 'milepost' magazine is a must to have.

Edited by stuwu4s, 24 May 2015 - 09:06 AM.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#32 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:18 PM

another website to visit lots of info.

on the rv.net 'rv'ing in Alaska and Canada' - subject 'roll call Alaska 2015'

great to view and see others as they travel.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#33 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 472 posts
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:47 PM

We are looking at leaving about 1 year from now for 2 months in Alaska.  Rigs are basically ready now.  Will need to get the 5th wheel we are taking up to speed next spring.  New tires, brakes and axles serviced and we have a wish list of things to upgrade on the 5'er to make it more accommodating for our needs.  Wire in a Fantastic Fan to the forward living space.  Just received new fender skirts as the right side is broke in 4-5 places.  So going to replace both sides with new ones.  Installed new smoke and CO detectors since the original ones were expired.  Sort out the beds as they are chit.  More like a box spring up front to sleep on and a 3" foam pads in the rear bunks.   Ewwww.   Will upgrade to more comfortable beds.  My sleep on the ground tent camping days are way behind me. That sort of stuff.  Awning needs a good cleaning and of course a few camp out shake down trips this summer to insure all systems are operational before it is winterized this fall.  H2O heater diode was shot so I replaced it.

George

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#34 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:51 AM

the last time we tent camped the folks next to us were in a truck camper, in the morning while I was packing up the tent, sleeping bags, etc etc. the guy next to us dropped out trash bag and drove off. This was the last time we tented.

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#35 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

I don't know what all the hype is about Alaska. But we also have plans to go but like 3 years off from now. Wish I could go to the rally darn post office.

Seesm to be, alot of people I talk to say the Yukon is better. But its on the way anyway.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#36 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:35 AM

for those of you who would like to plan things to do along the way, I suggest you check out the below.

www.rvadventuretreks.com/50daytrekoverview.htm

check on the 'itinerary' to see a day by day 'things to do'.

be forewarned this is one of those dreaded 'commercial caravans'. but you can see where they go on their  tour.

there is also a 'tour saver coupon booklet you can  buy. cost $100 , but you buy one ticket and get two tickets for the price of one.  for example -  the Fairbanks river boat you can save the cost of the booklet on the  one event. it is one of the best events.

also a 'milepost' magazine is a must to have.

I ifnd it hard to understand why people pay for Alaskan caravans. I run them myself down to Mexico, but there are a lot more reasons to use a caravn down there. Last time i checked, they speak English in Alaska and you can ask for directions.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#37 OFFLINE   KRB

KRB

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 03:49 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Minnesota
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

Those traveling to Alaska going through Canada your Medicare doesn't cover you out of the U.S.
Unless you go directly with no long stops. Make sure your suplament ins. Covers you out of the country.
Learned after a $64,000 emergency air lift to Seattle.

#38 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

Those traveling to Alaska going through Canada your Medicare doesn't cover you out of the U.S.
Unless you go directly with no long stops. Make sure your suplament ins. Covers you out of the country.
Learned after a $64,000 emergency air lift to Seattle.

That is a really valuable piece of information to know! Thanks!

#39 OFFLINE   Hook

Hook

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 96 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Alaska
  • Interests:Flying and Fishing
  • Camper Brand:Summerwind 806
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC D-Max Allison

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

When we come down to the rally at the Springs I have some info to hand out to any one who would like it.  Town brochures  like Kenai, Seward, Homer, etc.  It will be from this year but things don't change much year to year.

If anyone has questions I can try to help.  We will be driving the Alcan round trip this year so will have some current info to pass on.  I last drove it 25 years ago so it will be some what new to me also.  We originally drove it 40 years ago when the entire lenght was gravel and no straight sections of road.  We would stop for the night and could not even see the back door of the TC.  The road is all paved now but has sections under rebuild so be prepared to get dirty.  Some of the rigs I saw in Soldotna were filthy, one had a pull trailer and I could not tell what color it was.  Part of the fun of the adventure is to see how dirty you can get. :lol:

We have a nice place on Wik Lake in Nikiski.  Any one wanting to stop for a while we have electric and water but no dump.  So if you need some R & R play on the lake, canoe, kayaks, pontoon bikes, fire pit, we have it here.  Also to take off the layers of mud, change oil, maintenance, wash cloths.  We have room for 4 to 6 rigs and have had many from RVnet stop but have seen no one from NATCOA.  Any one planning to stay at Captain Cook Discovery Campground has to drive right pass us.

If anyone likes salt water fishing we keep a 28 ft boat in the Homer harbor and fish Halibut in Cook Inlet and Kachemac Bay.  On the way back we usually stop at Seldovia for a burger and walk the slew.  If you want to drop off the earth and slow down life Seldovia is a place to do it.

See some of you at the Springs rally.  By the way originally from Colorado.

Hook 

Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC D-Max Allison Supersprings Torqlift
Summer Wind 806 TC
Rage'n FS 2600 Toy Hauler
Winnebago 30T Motorhome
"Kik-n-but" 23' Atec modified twin 90HP Yamaha's full electronics
Hewes 20' Open Fisherman 50HP Yamaha w/9.9 kicker Kenai River Special
Polaris Razr
28' Bayweld 300HP Suzuki saltwater heated cabin bathroom :D

#40 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 472 posts
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:53 AM

Hook:

You got a favorite Halibut Hole outside Homer.  I spent 25 years in SE AK and never caught a Butt so would love to take you up on a trip on your boat to search for some tasty butt.  But no 250 pounders.  My favorite saltwater fish, except maybe a nice piece of fresh King Salmon grilled to perfection within the hour of landing it.  

Looking forward to chatting with you at Colorado Springs next month.

George

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In