23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts
  • Local time: 11:46 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:24 AM

as most know, every state has their own rules/laws on campers having to be licensed. here in washington state they must be licensed. the fee has been minor (unless you need to buy a new plate) for the past few years. cost was right around $10.00 per year. i went to license my camper this morning and yep...they raised the rates. its now just over $15.00 per year.  still cheap i guess in the whole scheme of things. 

i also renewed my discovery pass that is required for state park lands and a few other lands in washington. i know some have issues with that pass but id rather pay the pass than have another tax added on. its a user fee and i can live with that. no one has to visit those lands if they dont want to.   i use the pass all the time. guess thats the same for the yearly camper license...i dont have to use the camper. yeah right. lol

just the costs of having fun i guess. 

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#2 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1445 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:02 AM

The $15.25/yr for camper tags is worth the access to public dump stations for me, although I do take exception to all the tag-along fees that keep being added to our plates. I have ten vehicle registrations to renew yearly between off-road access tags, trailers, campers, motorcycles and cars making even small increases tenfold on my pocket.

The $30/yr Discover Pass really needs to be applied per person instead of per vehicle to make it fair use. Why should a single person pay as much as a family of five to access the same state resources?

This 2013 link covers what happened to an off highway vehicle fund in 2009 and how additional use fees are now being applied to all even though the fund was never restored: http://assets.ngin.c...HED_OPINION.PDF

Link to NOVA: http://wdfw.wa.gov/grants/nova/

Link to 2011 appeal: http://assets.ngin.c...sion_word97.pdf

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, Borg Warner 44-47 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, 6-stair Revolution GlowSteps, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:10 AM

its always the same...they keep sneaking in an increase on the plates/tabs. price of having fun I guess.

www.thetclife.com

#4 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1445 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

I'm glad you brought me to my senses. I almost bought one of those Discover Passes until you reminded me how mismanaged our state parks are with funding. Although I wish their fee structure would collapse on top of the inventors, the people crying the loudest for access are ones paying the least and I'm tired of subsidizing nonessential services to these whiners.

BTW: Grant County will be getting my money this next holiday because they do have a fair access system.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, Borg Warner 44-47 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, 6-stair Revolution GlowSteps, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 472 posts
  • Local time: 12:46 AM
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

Don't get me started on the Discovery Pass money fleecing system.  Last year I stopped no less then 8 times at the state owned rest area just north of the Bee Bee bridge along Hwy 97.  Every single time there was no TP in either potty, garbage was building up on the floor inside and the cans on the side of the building were crammed full and overflowing onto the ground, making a real mess.  When I complained about it to state parks they said it's not ours.  It's I think they said a WA Fish and Wildlife's rest area. I stopped there a couple years ago before we tried buying one and then stopped after 2 years.   There was one vehicle at the rest area. An older couple, she was in the crapper and he was standing outside their car.   Sally went into the 2nd potty.  We're standing around BS'ing and he asks me if I have my Discovery Pass.  I said "hell no", I'm getting taxed and charged for crap around this state enough and where's the services?  He said I agree and I'm retired from the state park service.   We both got a laugh. 

Cracks me up last spring I went into the USFS office in Winthrop to get my yearly fire wood harvesting permit tags and ahead of me were a younger couple from out of the area looking for assistance locating which permit(s) they needed to obtain in order to use a particular area.  The FS employee began giving them options and the list went on and on and on.  I finally butted in (I'm good at that and a bit of a smart ass to boot) and said between Federal and State passes I'd recommend you get an all areas pass.   You just pay one agency $1,000.00 per year and let them fight over how they split up your money. 

I'm with you Pete.  Our ATV's now require two WA registrations, our snowmobile tags are going up I think it's $15.00 this year and $15.00 next as I recall.  The county road dept who plows the roads into our snowmobile parks has put the USFS notice that they need to start maintaining their access roads or the county will stop plowing them next winter.

Every spring our Mountain Trails Grooming Assn. pays a contractor $1,500.00 to doze open a section of the Hart's pass access road around Deadhorse point.  Removing slides and large boulders. This spring we asked the USFS to let us open it early as the snow was melting fast and our other sled areas were sketchy at best.  The rangers response was yes but we would have to pay for and supply 20 yards of fill gravel delivered to Deadhorse so one of the engineers could tell the gravel contractor where to apply it.  We know of no other user group who's feet are held to the fire financially to use our national forest lands like we are.   We declined.  As it is we open the road for the USFS making it passable for the recreational public every spring saving the USFS money.  

But back on topic.  I don't mind the $5.00 increase for our camper tabs.  Now I need to go take my afternoon meds. 

Later,

Geroge

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#6 OFFLINE   Radioguy

Radioguy

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 160 posts
  • Local time: 01:46 AM
  • State/Province or Region:B.C.
  • Interests:Hiking, fishing, boating, atving
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite 10'2" CD SE
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 Ford F350 4x4, LB, CC, 6.4 Diesel
  • Name (Public):Jock

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

You can't put a price tag on having fun! FYI we just got our new German Shepherd puppy yesterday. She's a cutie.

Jock & Susan
2014 Northern Lite 10'2" CD SE
2008 F350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, 6.4 Diesel, LB

#7 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:59 AM

well lets hope we get to met the new addition on labor day weekend.

www.thetclife.com

#8 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:52 AM

You can't put a price tag on having fun! FYI we just got our new German Shepherd puppy yesterday. She's a cutie.

Awesome. Can't wait to meet her.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#9 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3215 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

Still Cheaper than Oregon ;).

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

Still Cheaper than Oregon ;).

yeah but oregon is weird....and wants to keep it that way right? oh wait...thats portland. well...its in oregon. lol.

www.thetclife.com

#11 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

The $30/yr Discover Pass really needs to be applied per person instead of per vehicle to make it fair use. Why should a single person pay as much as a family of five to access the same state resources?

The Discover Pass is a vehicle pass.

It seems that you are asking for a "per person" charge in lieu of the vehicle pass.

It's good sound logic and probably what the state would do next - except that the "per person" charge would be in addition to the vehicle pass.

A single person on a bike or motor scooter is not accessing the same state resources as a 40-foot motor home with a tow vehicle.

Somehow a per person charge doesn't seem fair without the vehicle charge.

I can't critique our state parks.  But I love our state parks and pay the Discover Pass charge whether I'll use it or not.  It's pretty cheap compared to a tank of diesel fuel and the pass is good for a full year.

#12 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1445 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

What about that mini van crammed full of extended family verses two people on motorcycles? One Discover Pass for eight people instead of two for two - How does that pencil for resources used? I see it all the time with hikers - They meet at grocery store parking lot and cram into one car with a Discover Pass that parks at the trail head or the car makes multiple runs from outside WA public lands ferrying the group in.

It would be very easy to enforce if everyone carried a pass if the were visiting state lands and fined if they didn't.

I already pay annually for off-road vehicle access per vehicle, now they want a second use fee for me to access the resources that I already have paid to access? With that logic, you should license each Discover Pass user's shoes that touch public land and if you have more than one pair of shoes you better have a unique license for each pair...

#13 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3215 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

yeah but oregon is weird....and wants to keep it that way right? oh wait...thats portland. well...its in oregon. lol.

Yeah, get rid of three counties in Oregon and the voting profile changes drastically. Its kind of like Northern Idaho, or Northern Califorina, we really wish we could just spin the special snowflakes off into their own states.

Back to the campery stuff, potentially will be having the joy of registration and title transfers in a couple months if the Amerigo I'm looking at checks out. At which point, the KIT will likely have a funeral, and the useful bits will get used on the Amerigo.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#14 OFFLINE   dubob

dubob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Local time: 01:46 AM
  • State/Province or Region:UT
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Skeet shooting
  • Camper Brand:2011 Lance 992
  • Truck Make & Model:2010 Chevy 2500HD Silverado, 6.0L gas
  • Name (Public):Bob

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:38 AM

Life's a bitch and then you die!

:sign0020:

:usa:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 76 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter,
and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, SRW, 6.0L gas/2011 Lance 992

#15 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:55 AM

It would be very easy to enforce if everyone carried a pass if the were visiting state lands and fined if they didn't.

A "per person" entry pass is required for State Trust Land in Arizona.  

And Arizona State Parks have their own "per vehicle" fee system for state parks.

I'm sure that you are not advocating that type of system.

These "land" systems tend to originate as legal entities.  Like a trust.

Each "trust" or "entity" has it's own legal structure and administration.

Logic? Nope. Nada. None.

Money and politics. . .I'd bet money on it.

Would we want to see a single pass for ALL government land?

Think about it.  They way government works is that they would create yet another government agency to administer all the fragmented agencies.

They would do it that way because it is "easier" than doing the real work of merging the legal entities into one unified system.

In fact, it's impossible due to politics.

So the easiest way is to hire more bureaucrats in a new super agency to provide a single unified pass that is fair to all.

In your dreams. . .

:scared0011:  

#16 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:45 AM

you know...there are some of the passes that I just don't understand what/where they are good for. I was talking to a county parks employee about it and even he is somewhat confused on the passes. there seems to be some passes that cover areas that other passes cover. oh well. I use the state park, wild life fish and game land, dnr, blm and whatever else so ill pay for the discovery pass. no problem for me.

www.thetclife.com

#17 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1445 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

Part of the problem is that I have multiple vehicles and each Discover Pass only covers two of them. If we go to state public lands with motorcycles one time, street licensed dune buggies another time and RV or car yet another time, I will have to have multiple passes even though the vehicles are not being used concurrently. The whole Discover Pass idea was ill conceived for many people's style of use and rushed due to fiscal mismanagement within the WA State Parks Department. Now that it is in place, there are too many people with reputations and political careers on the line for them to admit it could have been done better and then actually take action to make it so.

This all spins back to charging per unique user for access instead of unique vehicle...

#18 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2160 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

you know...there are some of the passes that I just don't understand what/where they are good for. I was talking to a county parks employee about it and even he is somewhat confused on the passes. there seems to be some passes that cover areas that other passes cover. oh well. I use the state park, wild life fish and game land, dnr, blm and whatever else so ill pay for the discovery pass. no problem for me.

What don't you understand about this?

Attached File  camping-passes-8610.jpg   45.39KB   0 downloads

It's clear as mud to me.  I was so irked when I saw it I had to take a picture.

Sorry about the quality. . .it was half in/ half out of the shade/sun.

#19 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1445 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

Oregon is not much better Washington with their passes: http://www.eugenecas...passes-permits/

I'm still studying Colorado passes to figure out what I may need for access...

#20 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3754 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

lol rich...exactly. lol...perfect.

www.thetclife.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In