28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Local time: 06:56 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:17 PM

i KNEW i should have looked at the camper closely while i was at the tire shop today. the tire shop had low branches along their driveway and when they returned my truck up front there was small branches on the back of the truck along with leaves. i got home and was washing the camper and saw that they ran my camper into the trees for sure. they ripped up the edge of my rubber roof and destroyed the vent cover for the fridge. along with that, the trim piece on the edge nose is bent...like it was hammered by a branch. 

their insurance and owner will be calling me monday morning.  i am very sickened about this. the worst part is the schmuck who put new tires on it (he drove it back and then up front) did not say a word. he had to have heard the "thump"!

always check your camper thoroughly when at a repair shop is what i say. 

IMG_20140927_171426_256_zps03523653.jpg

IMG_20140927_161554_229_zps9d4f90ee.jpg

IMG_20140927_171415_898_zpsef197eb5.jpg

IMG_20140927_171411_050_zps084e6d2f.jpg

IMG_20140927_161603_692_zps344e6abc.jpg

i have the camper covered over the damage in case of rain. i am so dang mad right now. its one thing to do the damage and another to not say anything about it.

IMG_20140927_173249_827_zpsf907ef0d.jpg

ill update what happens with the ordeal and how much of a pain or not a pain it will be to go through their insurance.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#2 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • Local time: 08:56 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:25 PM

Hate to say it but they are going to say they did not do it since yoy did not catch it till you got home...if you can go get pictures of trees before they trim them if they did not already
Trim them
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#3 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

pictures at their shop with the trees is already taken. 

www.thetclife.com

#4 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4233 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

Thats good also better call your agent just in case you insurance has to fix and to go after them for payment. Dont want to have it wait to long for repair
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#5 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

my insurance has been contacted even though it will be on them. still wanted to make sure no gaps were left with dealing the insurances. for now, ill have to wait until monday.

www.thetclife.com

#6 OFFLINE   ralphl

ralphl

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, guns, hunting, fishing, Portabote, travel (for hunting, of course) and reading (about hunting).
  • Camper Brand:S&S Montana
  • Truck Make & Model:97 Ford F-350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Ralph

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:17 PM

was it a national chain or small local outfit???

Ralph & Laura
The Mutts: Cookie & Mag
The Rig: 1997 7.3L Ford F350 Diesel Dually toting a 9.5 S&S Montana Ponderosa SC with all the goodies, including solar.
Full Banks upgrade. Tork Lift frame mount tiedowns. Rancho 9000 shocks. Airbags. Custom GORILLA Bumper by Northland Fabrication.

#7 OFFLINE   sooty1234

sooty1234

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 887 posts
  • Local time: 07:56 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Camper Brand:Retro 177se
  • Truck Make & Model:Colorado
  • Name (Public):Jim

Posted 27 September 2014 - 09:52 PM

Bummer,  That is why I never let anyone drive my camper. I put in it where they want it, but it is me who drives it there. If they say sorry we must position it I say see you later. Hope you can get it fixed up without a hassle soon, If it were my camper they would have to replace the entire roof membrane.   I took my truck into the repair shop yesterday to have it serviced and the tires rotated. I left my camper at home.   Jim

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble. It's what he thinks he knows, but just ain't so!" Will Rogers.

#8 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:04 AM

was it a national chain or small local outfit???

its a more local shop. they do have 4 or 5 shops. they have been around a long time here in spokane. 

www.thetclife.com

#9 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:08 AM

Bummer,  That is why I never let anyone drive my camper. I put in it where they want it, but it is me who drives it there. If they say sorry we must position it I say see you later. Hope you can get it fixed up without a hassle soon, If it were my camper they would have to replace the entire roof membrane.   I took my truck into the repair shop yesterday to have it serviced and the tires rotated. I left my camper at home.   Jim

im sure the whole roof will have to be replaced. i will be asking the insurance if doing a basic repair at first will be okay so i can attend the fall colors rally still. there is no way there will be time to have a whole roof replaced after all the paperwork and crap before then.

when i go to a shop i usually walk and watch them pull it in and out. this time i did not watch them pull it out. ill hold off on judgment of the shop until i see how its handled. the guy who drove it though and did not say anything...well...i have my thoughts on him already.

www.thetclife.com

#10 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

Make sure they repair the whole roof, not just the rubber, In fact If you like I will ask the factory rep here today if that is what needs to be done if you like. I will take your photo and show them. I am at the Abbotsford show which is run by Adventurer/Fraserway You may want to consider havign ti done At Fraserway RV here in Abbotsford which is an extremely large shop and it the factory outlet. I can ask if they do repairs in Yakima, Chances are they will replace it with a TPO roof which is the current standard, i believe for your camper. nice long stretch of sunny weather coming up after next weekend. I will check for you.

If they determine it has to be replaced go to a roofing place an get some eternabond tape to seal it all up until it can be done. That way you can actually still use it. Fridge vent is no big deal.

If I cant get a hold of the right guy today, I can go ask at the service department of Fraserway tomorrow. I would not use a dealer  for that. I  can ask if they can do it at the plant in Yakima or bring it to Fraserway in Abbotsford even if you have to make 2 return trips, at least you will know its repaired to factory standards. I can get a rough ballpark figure maybe if you describe all the damage. Is the nose cracked, or is that just molding?

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#11 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

thanks paul, i appreciate it. the eternabond was my thoughts too for a quick fix so i can still use it. it will need fixed completely is my thought too. guess ill see what they say tomorrow.

www.thetclife.com

#12 OFFLINE   tankeryanker

tankeryanker

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Camper Brand:2014 Arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 dodge q/c dually ctd
  • Name (Public):Glenn

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

That really bites. Like others no one drives my truck with or without my camper on it.

#13 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:26 AM

so far the shop has called me twice letting me know when their insurance opens up and they are getting on it first thing. they are also apologizing a bunch. so, so far at least it appears they are trying to do the right thing.

www.thetclife.com

#14 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

Sounds like a good start to the day!

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#15 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:36 AM

They told me that any reputable dealer should be able to replace that roof, but I only found a salesman. I would call the service department at Fraserway RV which is the companies retail arm and ask their opinion (604) 850-1976. They have a huge repair facility. If it were me i would prefer to have it done by the manufacturer despite the hassle of getting it there. They will also let you know if it could be done in Yakima.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#16 OFFLINE   tate

tate

Tate

• Admin (non-root)
  • 2399 posts
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

So sorry to see the roof damage to your camper. Sure looks like a new roof should be on the shop. Good luck working things out with the insurance Co.

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

#17 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:42 PM

so far so good on dealing with the tire shop and insurance. the tire shop uses farmers insurance. the agent knew i was going on vacation for the fall colors next week and said to take it in right away so a temporary fix can be done. i took it to johnson rv in spokane today (they are supporters of natcoa) and they got it right in for me and put eternabond tape on the rips and got a new fridge vent cover on. after the fall colors caravan it will go into johnson rv again for a complete new roof. estimated cost for the roof is $3000.00. 

i must say, perfection tire and farmers has been easy to deal with on this matter. the tire shop is not fighting it and has admitted fault.

here is the temporary fix:

IMG_20140929_131709_485_zpsc2dfe9bc.jpg

www.thetclife.com

#18 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:59 PM

:071:

:fing32:

:sign0162:

:cartwheel:

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#19 OFFLINE   butch50

butch50

Vice President / Director

• Directors
  • 181 posts
  • Local time: 09:56 AM
  • State/Province or Region:AR
  • Camper Brand:2017 Nexus Ghost 36DS (Being Built)
  • Truck Make & Model:2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (AKA Toad)
  • Name (Public):Butch

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:18 PM

Rich,

That sure is a bummer to hear this. Its good that the shop and Farmers are going to take care or you.

Just today I took our new MH in to have valve extenders put on to make it easier to add air and allows me to put on my tire monitors. I asked them where they wanted it parked to do the work and that I would move it there for them and to leave it there when they are done. I didn't want anyone else in it as it has cream colored leather seats and I didn't want some grimy tire guy climbing in to drive it around and then have a mess in my seats. They had no problem with me parking it myself. I did then locked the door and took the keys with me to the waiting room while the did the work.

#20 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:13 AM

yeah, it may change how i do things with the camper at a shop. i went over a couple times how tall the bay doors needed to be. guess i figured when someone would see low tree branches they would think about it. guess i was wrong.

my insurance called yesterday and i told them that the tire shop and their insurance is handling it smoothly. my insurance is going to call me in a week to check on progress and then after its all done to make sure im taken care of. i have safeco insurance.

ill follow up with pictures and how things went when the new roof goes on. i really appreciate johnson rv for getting me in right away for the quick fix soi can go on the caravan / rally next week. 

www.thetclife.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In