• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Local time: 02:20 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Michigan
  • Camper Brand:I make my own
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500HD
  • Name (Public):Dave Steve

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:29 AM

Before you glass think you think about the weight for a drop in still pass a 1000lb. Might have to fix the it to a slide in.

I can see my 800lb goal is in jeopardy, but it was always more of a hope than a  totally realistic target. Still, I opted to take extra room as a trade off to weight. At least, at this point.

Part 11

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ik4SFU-7R5Y

#42 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 29 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

Interesting approach with the fiberglas/resin, Dave. Are you not concerned with aerodynamics with the pearlite in the resin? (Sorry, I've worked around fiberglass boats for 25+ years with the running surface being smooth for performance reasons).

I would think you might want to put a layer of glass on on the front underside of the camper, but not necessarily the box area. That is one area that takes a lot of hits with bugs and water when on the traveling down the road. A layer of resin might be extra insurance against water intrusion here.

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#43 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

My worry would be less about wind resistance but more about cleanup. It can be a bear to keep a smooth surface camper clean - How do you keep something textured like that from turning into a Chia Pet?

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#44 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:12 PM

My worry would be less about wind resistance but more about cleanup. It can be a bear to keep a smooth surface camper clean - How do you keep something textured like that from turning into a Chia Pet?

Excellent point! Sometimes I can't believe the bug accumulation on the front of the camper, even above the truck cab area, on some road trips! It's like you almost have to sandblast them off.

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#45 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • Local time: 12:20 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:43 AM

When we got back from Yellowstone you couldn't tell what color the TC and truck was from all the bugs splattered all over some big ones too , then the dirt from the back roads we took. Took a week to clean both.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#46 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

Interesting approach with the fiberglas/resin, Dave. Are you not concerned with aerodynamics with the pearlite in the resin? (Sorry, I've worked around fiberglass boats for 25+ years with the running surface being smooth for performance reasons).

I would think you might want to put a layer of glass on on the front underside of the camper, but not necessarily the box area. That is one area that takes a lot of hits with bugs and water when on the traveling down the road. A layer of resin might be extra insurance against water intrusion here.

Not too concerned with wind drag from the perlite. If it was tested against a smooth version, I guess it would be some small amount of extra resistance. Not really sure. Don't know if anyone has test results for that type of thing???

It sounds like you mean the flat vertical surface where the cab meets the camper? I do plan to glass around that front camper window also.

And the nose cone (where the wind hits the bed box straight on) will be a curved SMOOTH glassed surface.

I think a power wash would get most of the bugs/dirt. If not, I just repaint when it gets really bad. The final paint coat is a high quality polyurethane, http://www.systemthr...Topcoat-c29.htm, so I think it will wear well. We'll see.

#47 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

Part 12

http://youtu.be/WXah_v7MDA8

#48 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

Liking your curved roof for a couple of reasons - additional height in the center and the water shedding ability it will provide.

#49 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:57 AM

Interesting the roof design. wondering about how you are going to keep water from being pushed in when driving down the road? Thinking about the rough side not a fan of it. Took me two days to wash and wax our AF after our trip up north this year.

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#50 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:58 AM

Interesting the roof design. wondering about how you are going to keep water from being pushed in when driving down the road? Thinking about the rough side not a fan of it. Took me two days to wash and wax our AF after our trip up north this year.

It will be sealed.

Part 13

http://youtu.be/9roKXC6PvS4

#51 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

Part 14

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=CUFekApGiJM

#52 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

:sign0098:

Looking good! Just make sure you can get it out of the garage when finished (don't forget the extra height from the roof fan) :happy0045: . Looks real close to the top of the garage door although I expect it will be lower once you get the jack stands on it.

#53 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:48 AM

:sign0098:

Looking good! Just make sure you can get it out of the garage when finished (don't forget the extra height from the roof fan) :happy0045: . Looks real close to the top of the garage door although I expect it will be lower once you get the jack stands on it.

I can already see that my original plan of backing the truck into the garage, is probably not going to work because of the height and the slope I have in the driveway. I think I might put the table underneath on ski's  or wheels and winch it outside.

#54 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 12:52 PM

Part 15

http://youtu.be/7FSjjST-6lE

#55 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

Looking good . Cant put my finger on it. Something is overlooked.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#56 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

I would be shocked if I didn't overlook something. Hopefully, will be something small.

#57 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:11 AM

Part 16

This part will be the last of the year. Although we have had a mild late fall so far, winter is due any time in SE Michigan. We have a near 50 degree day this weekend, but I'm guessing things are going to get nasty very soon, so it's a good time for a break. I'll be back to finish up this project probably in late March or early April. I'm probably 80% finished and I'm hoping to be on the road by Summer. Thanks to those who have been watching and I'll see you here in the Spring.

http://youtu.be/8zTX5ZBiX-U

#58 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:44 AM

Finally was able to catch up on progress of your TC. Looking good with some graphics on the exterior and seeing the interior starting to come together. Do you have a manual way to raise or lower the roof in case of failure with the air lift cylinders? 

#59 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 849 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Iowa
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Need a place to camp the Night? All Welcome.
  • Camper Brand:1994 Lance 990 11' 3"
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 F-350 CC, 4x4, LB, SRW, Diesel
  • Name (Public):Doug

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

I commend you on the task your taking on.  Looking forward to the next video.  Thank you for Sharing.

:usa:

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

Click Link: http://www.midwesttr...s.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240
Wagon Master - For MWTC'S

#60 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 28 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

I may be joining this club, soon.   Strongly leaning towards using the Glen-L 11' Everglade side entry camper plans to rebuild my KIT from scratch, and potentially incorporating some design features from the old Kamp Kings and Amerigo's in. 

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In