• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Local time: 05:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Michigan
  • Camper Brand:I make my own
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500HD
  • Name (Public):Dave Steve

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

Why OSB for the floors rather than plywood? Just curious as to your thoughts on it.

Could have used either. A LITTLE cheaper. Maybe a little more stable??

#22 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:14 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=PyazLx4fkys

Part 6

#23 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Local time: 01:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?
  • Camper Brand:2006 Lance 1191 & 2017 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 DRW
  • Name (Public):Sally

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:02 AM

Enjoying your series!

Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Camper_Avatar_200x200.jpg

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#24 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Food for thought, in picture #4 a better way to fill a bad cut or a angle that wasn't planed. Take some epoxy and mix in some saw dust, you want it to be almost runny, pack the joint and tape it off so it will stay till it dries.

Some seem to think that no adhesive should be used on rv wood joints. Others say the stronger the better. Epoxy makes the joint stronger than the wood itself...which you think would be a good thing.??? I don't really know, so I have taken a middle approach with glue (titebond3). If the glue joint fails, then it still has the screws and biscuit. That's my unscientific theory. We'll see.

#25 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • Local time: 03:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

So true a tighter joint the better. adding with biscuits, dowels, and screws cant beat them. Was just giving ideas on fixing errors looks is all, and a smooth finish after sanding if it gets it.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#26 OFFLINE   DDW

DDW

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 11 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Nevada
  • Interests:Cars,trucks and Computers. I'm a pain in the butt Jack of All Trades with the exception of being a master of a few.
  • Camper Brand:Junky Fleetwood Angler
  • Name (Public):DDW

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:05 PM

That is pretty cool I really like what you have done so far. I have been planning a TC myself using the Earth Roamer as my guide. Wish I had the BIG bucks for one of those. But we were visiting in Napa when the quake hit and I didn't think much of it until we got home. That's when I found the damage done and it was still on our truck while we were sleeping in it. Felt like we were in a sling shot. But it put a wave in one wall and it is literally coming apart at the seams.

So now I will be gutting it and using everything I can from it to build another. Our truck has a high enough lift that I will be cutting out the top of the wheel wells so I'll have a perfect square to work with and more storage as well, or I may take the bed off altogether and build a flatbed. Like to find a stock truck bed at a junk yard and turn it into a flatbed and keep mine the way it is. Have to do some welding for sure. But the main thing we want is the pass through from the truck cab to the camper. I have no choice now and for what we want it will be way cheaper to do it ourselves. Can't wait to get started!! 

2004 Fleetwood Napa earth quake damaged have no choice BUT to gut Angler. Truck is an 03 Duramax AFE intake EFI Live tuning that gives us a steady 23 mpg fully loaded, 16 in the Sierras. Cobra inverter so she's a portable generator to boot. The tires right now are Cooper 285/75/16 with a 10 ply load range E and she rides nice.    

sml_gallery_4553_270_1583684.jpg

#27 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:39 AM

That is pretty cool I really like what you have done so far. I have been planning a TC myself using the Earth Roamer as my guide. Wish I had the BIG bucks for one of those. But we were visiting in Napa when the quake hit and I didn't think much of it until we got home. That's when I found the damage done and it was still on our truck while we were sleeping in it. Felt like we were in a sling shot. But it put a wave in one wall and it is literally coming apart at the seams.

So now I will be gutting it and using everything I can from it to build another. Our truck has a high enough lift that I will be cutting out the top of the wheel wells so I'll have a perfect square to work with and more storage as well, or I may take the bed off altogether and build a flatbed. Like to find a stock truck bed at a junk yard and turn it into a flatbed and keep mine the way it is. Have to do some welding for sure. But the main thing we want is the pass through from the truck cab to the camper. I have no choice now and for what we want it will be way cheaper to do it ourselves. Can't wait to get started!! 

Now that's bad timing, being in Napa that day. I might have thought it would be ok swaying on tires and springs. I guess not.

If we have to make them earthquake proof, then we all might be in trouble. Good luck with your building.

#28 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

Part 7

https://www.youtube....h?v=ydTYvm-Fkvc

#29 OFFLINE   DDW

DDW

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 11 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Nevada
  • Interests:Cars,trucks and Computers. I'm a pain in the butt Jack of All Trades with the exception of being a master of a few.
  • Camper Brand:Junky Fleetwood Angler
  • Name (Public):DDW

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:52 PM

Now that's bad timing, being in Napa that day. I might have thought it would be ok swaying on tires and springs. I guess not.

If we have to make them earthquake proof, then we all might be in trouble. Good luck with your building.

Mom's 90th B-day and really I think it had as much to do with the build quality on my TC. I found out it was one of those that FLW decided to sub out and I have had to do a lot to it when I 1st bought it. It has been a learning experience and I wouldn't change a thing. But when the quake hit I was actually awake and it was a weird and fun ride REALLY like a sling shot. I have it sitting on a brace now I don't trust it to stay together up on the jacks alone. I'm still drawing it out but I plan on doing a bit of combo wood and steel to make like a role cage. Have to do some experimenting first. If I could I'd go aluminum frame no budget for that one.

AWESOME build series davesteve really man that is just flippin cool.

2004 Fleetwood Napa earth quake damaged have no choice BUT to gut Angler. Truck is an 03 Duramax AFE intake EFI Live tuning that gives us a steady 23 mpg fully loaded, 16 in the Sierras. Cobra inverter so she's a portable generator to boot. The tires right now are Cooper 285/75/16 with a 10 ply load range E and she rides nice.    

sml_gallery_4553_270_1583684.jpg

#30 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

Snapshot%2B4%2B%289-28-2014%2B1-31%2BAM%

Snapshot%2B3%2B%289-28-2014%2B1-30%2BAM%

Snapshot%2B2%2B%289-28-2014%2B1-29%2BAM%

Snapshot%2B1%2B%289-28-2014%2B1-28%2BAM%

#31 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:58 AM

Part 8

https://www.youtube....h?v=yI90XfNTe0A

#32 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Photography, Camping, Quilting, Camping, Reading, Camping, Pets (Dogs & Cats),...did I mention Camping?

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:13 PM

It's coming along nicely. I'm curious about your design of the cabover area and how the lower part of the camper angles in towards the centerline under the bed. Looking forward to seeing how that finishes out.

The interstate system of highways is fine for getting where you need to be in a hurry, but it's the road less traveled that is more enjoyable. Take in the scenery before life passes you by in a blur.

#33 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:27 PM

That has me wondering also DC

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#34 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

It's coming along nicely. I'm curious about your design of the cabover area and how the lower part of the camper angles in towards the centerline under the bed. Looking forward to seeing how that finishes out.

That's what most people are asking. The angles are not common on truck campers. Some of it is for wind flow, the rest, just to help it look less boxy.

Part 9

https://www.youtube....h?v=dF-nYv33iBg

#35 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:41 AM

:fing32:

#36 OFFLINE   perrysee

perrysee

Poster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 04:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:wi
  • Camper Brand:1968 roaming chariot
  • Truck Make & Model:1995 dodge dakota
  • Name (Public):perry seegers

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:25 AM

my roamin chariot is a factory design and only lifts from the back

#37 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:45 AM

Part 10

https://www.youtube....h?v=4GuE-69xODE

#38 OFFLINE   DakotaCamper

DakotaCamper

Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3631 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

Explain more about the kickouts over the wheel wells. Why not just go straight back for the box of the camper to fit between the wheels? Won't that make loading the camper a bit more challenging?

You are definitely making progress now that the insulation is in.

#39 OFFLINE   davesteve

davesteve

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

Explain more about the kickouts over the wheel wells. Why not just go straight back for the box of the camper to fit between the wheels? Won't that make loading the camper a bit more challenging?

You are definitely making progress now that the insulation is in.

Yes, it will be a bit more challenging. More of a "drop in" than a "slide in". A trade off for a little more interior space on the front corners, is basically the way I saw it. I'll see if it is more of a hassle than a help, later on. Thanks for the question.

Edited by davesteve, 27 October 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:28 AM

Before you glass think you think about the weight for a drop in still pass a 1000lb. Might have to fix the it to a slide in.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In