11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vanceman

vanceman

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Local time: 06:53 AM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:golfing water and snow skiing, hiking and biking, gardening camping fishing
  • Camper Brand:2012 northern lite 10-2 cdse
  • Truck Make & Model:03 dodge ram 3500 srw 285 19.5 wheels and tires, road master sway bar, air lift air bags in cab controller, stable loads, tork lift tie downs,pack brake exhaust, ats tranny,4 inch exhaust ats manifold ,aurora 3000 turbo ,afe air intake ,
  • Name (Public):don

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:41 AM

I would like to upgrade are thermostat. When buying a new one do they have to be 12 volt also. Its so hard to read the current one like for it to be digital. thanks Don

#2 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Local time: 08:53 AM
  • State/Province or Region:South Dakota
  • Interests:full time RVing, hiking, photography,whittling, straight razor shaving,fishing,blog: http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/
  • Camper Brand:AF 1150, wet bath, Solar
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 Supercab, 4x4, DWR, 6.2L, 4.30 gear, Camper package,13,300 GVWR, custom Reading service body, Hellwig Big Wig sway bar, Torklift tiedowns, Stable Loads & Fast Guns

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

Is your current thermostat heat & cool or heat only? Mine is heat only and I replaced the OEM unit with a digital LuxPro 2 wire unit for about $30. 

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   seismik

seismik

Poster

• NATCOA Members
  • 46 posts
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Real Lite (Palomino)
  • Truck Make & Model:1986 GMC 1-Ton Dually

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

We replaced ours with a standard household one.  It's digital and programable (so we can set it to get warmer before we wake up or return from a hike, etc.). 

We also wired in a fan above the dinette.  The furnace blows onto the dinette, and although heat rises, it seems to make it to the thermostat before it gets into the bunk (shutting the furnace off while it's still chilly in the bunk).  We have the option of leaving it on Auto-Heat (where the fan above the dinette comes on with the furnace), Fan On (leaving the fan on regardless of what the heater does, or leaving it off and can turn the fan on/off as we choose.  We can also use the switch on the fan to turn it off while the furnace is on (if we don't want it blowing the heat up into the bunk).

#4 OFFLINE   SkiNautique

SkiNautique

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 07:53 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Camper Brand:Arcticfox
  • Truck Make & Model:Ram 3500 DRW Cummins

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:22 PM

Wow am I glad I joined this site today. We just picked up our new Arcticfox 1150 and one of the things I want to upgrade is the thermostat to a digital version. I'll be looking into this upgrade and apprecaite any more input.

#5 OFFLINE   SkiNautique

SkiNautique

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Camper Brand:Arcticfox
  • Truck Make & Model:Ram 3500 DRW Cummins

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:45 PM

Just realized my new 1150 has a heat only thermostat and the air is controlled from the roof mounted air conditioner. I sure wish it was able to be controled by a digital thermostat.

#6 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • State/Province or Region:South Dakota
  • Interests:full time RVing, hiking, photography,whittling, straight razor shaving,fishing,blog: http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/
  • Camper Brand:AF 1150, wet bath, Solar
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 Supercab, 4x4, DWR, 6.2L, 4.30 gear, Camper package,13,300 GVWR, custom Reading service body, Hellwig Big Wig sway bar, Torklift tiedowns, Stable Loads & Fast Guns

Posted 29 May 2014 - 03:56 AM

Yep, my 2013 AF1150 is the same way. Its not my favorite way to cool the camper as the fan runs continually. But it does a good job so I cant complain too much. 

As stated earlier I replaced the OEM thermostat with the LuxPro 2 wire digital for my furnace. It fits in the space where the OEM unit was and I was even able to use the mounting screws and holes from the old unit.

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   vanceman

vanceman

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • Local time: 06:53 AM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:golfing water and snow skiing, hiking and biking, gardening camping fishing
  • Camper Brand:2012 northern lite 10-2 cdse
  • Truck Make & Model:03 dodge ram 3500 srw 285 19.5 wheels and tires, road master sway bar, air lift air bags in cab controller, stable loads, tork lift tie downs,pack brake exhaust, ats tranny,4 inch exhaust ats manifold ,aurora 3000 turbo ,afe air intake ,
  • Name (Public):don

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:54 AM

In my northern lite its heat only thanks skipper dave

#8 OFFLINE   seismik

seismik

Poster

• NATCOA Members
  • 46 posts
  • State/Province or Region:PA
  • Camper Brand:Real Lite (Palomino)
  • Truck Make & Model:1986 GMC 1-Ton Dually

Posted 29 May 2014 - 06:37 AM

Ours is heat only as well.  Switching the digital thermostat to Cool would do absolutely nothing.

#9 OFFLINE   Auntyteen

Auntyteen

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 02:53 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Bc
  • Camper Brand:Bigfoot 9.6 98c-5299b
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 3/4 ton
  • Name (Public):Christine Hind

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

We just acquired a 89 Bigfoot and trying to figure furnace it's auto on from termastat fan seems to come on but no heat any sugestions

#10 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 447 posts
  • Local time: 05:53 AM
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

Our 2006 Lance 1191 has a 2 speed furnace and the thermostat also controls the AC as well.  Thermostat is not cheap and is not programmable.   

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#11 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:19 AM

Aunty, when my furnace won't start, it's because I didn't turn-on the gas! Duh! Other than that, maybe it's time to get knowledgeable folks to looks at it. Some of the failure modes can be serious.

Welcome to the forum!

#12 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1579 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

What I will type relates to recently built COLEMAN air conditioners here, from about 2004 and forward.    

On the Coleman Mach AC's with a ceiling control switch/thermostat, it's usually possible to add a wall mount thermostat.  

With a ceiling control, the mode switch is on one side and the twist thermostat is on the other side of the plastic ceiling air diverter.    But, on the wall mounted version, these twist controls are just not there.    IN THEIR PLACE, and also inside the air conditioner's air passages is a newly added control box/circuit board that will control with a wall thermostat you'll add, what was once the twist knob operation.   

One can buy (a) the internal control box for a wall mount thermostat, ( B) a new plastic air deflector/cover that is minus the rotary switch and rotary thermostat, and © a matching wall-mount thermostat.   

The new electronics box / circuit board will mount on screws or holes that are already in place in the roof unit.      

A problem you may encounter is that not all campers have been prewired with multi-strand thermostat wire behind the walls when the camper was built.  If you are lucky enough that the manufacturer put it there, this swap out becomes much easier.  Since it would be very difficult to fish thermostat wire through solidly filled foam walls, the thermostat multi-wire can be run on the surface of the ceiling and paneling and put behind a decorative channel on the wall of the camper.  

Luckily, ALL the work involved with changing this out can be done from within the camper by just one person.  There's no need to remove the roof portion or even access the roof.  The only thing one needs to get into the air passage is a phillips head screwdriver.   And then, one only needs to reach up into the ceiling vent to remove and rewire the controls.  This can be done standing on a small stool or kitchen ladder.    

In fact, here is a video on Youtube of a fellow doing a similar changeout.  Not HARD, but just a little tedious.   Click here and watch this.    To make this job simple, don't try to save any money by buying a cheaper thermostat at Lowes and trying to make it work on this setup.  Buy the Coleman matching thermostat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In