Poster

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Local time: 01:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:TN
  • Camper Brand:2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 Dodge 3500 Dually

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

Have you tried Corps of Engineers campgrounds?  The sites are usually large, gravel, and on or quite close to a lake.  They usually have some elbow room but it's still a campground where one will have neighbors and things can get noisy during busy times.  Prices are reasonable and seniors are half price with the federal government's America the Beautiful pass.  http://corpslakes.us...ors/camping.cfm

#22 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Local time: 10:08 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 08 June 2014 - 07:05 PM

Don't go to Alta Lake in Pateros. That is the epitome of RV sardine can state parks, especially camp loop #2.

I love our state parks here in Washington - even though they are a bit expensive they are usually worth it in terms of value.

Exception: :mad0034: Alta Lake State Park :mad0034:  - I'd never go back there again due to the discourteous nature of the people that stay there from nearby towns and constant noise of jet ski's on the lake.

#23 OFFLINE   Harried Harry

Harried Harry

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Local time: 12:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Camping, traveling, reading, geocaching, fishing (new effort), gardening, DIY stuff, farming pecans, meeting people.
  • Camper Brand:Lance 915 mfg in October 2007.
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 2500 QuadCab 4x4 Laramie LB w/6.7 CTD; Torklift; Happijac ties, Hellwig Big Wig; Rancho 9000LX, Bullet liner, Husky goose-neck
  • Name (Public):Harry

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:43 PM

I know what you mean about the Sardine effect.  At one time my wife and I lived in Sacramento, CA. We would go camping but all the parks only allowed sardine camping. We wanted to get away from people. Then we moved to New Mexico where the population is much smaller. In 1990 we went to Navahoe Lake near Farmington, NM and camped below the dam in a very nice campground with lots of room between sites. A few years ago we went back while I was on vacation. The same campground had been "upgraded" and is now a Sardine campground. The State doubled the number of campsites by using the buffer space between each site.  We no longer go to that campground since we like to have space around us.

However, at many of the New Mexico and Arizona campgrounds I've been to in the past few years the sites are fairly well spaced. One issue which affects trailers is most of the National Park and State campgrounds has to do with length. Most campsites are designed for a max of 30' trailers. When money becomes available they are adding bigger sites but many don't have the room or the budget to afford new amenities. 

Many of the camps in Colorado have a reasonable space but if the campground/ National Park/ State Park is Very Popular, then the sites will be crowded together.  As others have noted, if you can travel before Memorial Day or after Labor Day then you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a nice site without a lot of neighbors. I have found going during the week is also pretty good for avoiding the crowds.  My wife won't travel on any Holiday since its so crowded and too many people are in too much of a hurry.

Good luck finding a good spot.  Oh, good sites to check for camping sites:  www.freecamping.org ; www.freecampsites.net ;  www.freecampgrounds.com ; www.boondocking.org .  These are just a few sites I found; how good they are is up to the eyes of the beholder. At least some have pictures of the campsites so you can get an idea of what the sites are like.

#24 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 PM
  • Interests:Traveling/ camping boating in the highest mountains
  • Camper Brand:NL 10-2000
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 CTD
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:53 AM

Campfire smoke  is enough to cause unbelievable stuffiness up yer nose that you cannot sleep. 

They need to  establish another basic rule, that of of fires out by 10 pm.

That would pretty much quiet things down also.

Thank the Lord for state parks it helps preserve the wilds.

Edited by mjgcamper, 12 June 2014 - 11:10 AM.

To go see the Northern lights, Alaska, Queen Charlot Islands, all of B.C., Alberta too, To travel every back road inside the American and Canadian Rockies. Not a 'Grand Potentate', just grand while in the mountains, fire going, bears all around, no work to do.

#25 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

Problem in state parks is the limited land. All states need to start putting more land into there parks and expand them. But there again is a rub the amount of people wanting to go camping. Fires out by a set time insane. I stay up till 2-3 am and have never had a camp fire going I don't really care if there is one. Most of the people around me at the campgrounds are nice anoff when it gets dark to start toning down there noise. Do I like be parked in there like sardines no is the answer. What gets my goat is the locals say within 20 miles think they have the only right to camp there. Those living in the city have to follow the rules but they don't. In our park system you cant pick up down wood from the trees.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#26 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

for me...its a matter of what my intentions are for camping. sometimes i go remote with no one around. other times i dont mind visiting people nearby while in the camping atmosphere. thats the beauty of a tc...go near anywhere.  anyone who follows where i go knows i go to a big variety of places.

size of state lands...well...it just depends on the park. the one here in spokane washington...riverside...is actually HUGE. the camping area is smaller yes but the land is gigantic. heck...you can do a 30+ mile hike in the park if you wanted to. other parks...are much much smaller. pick and choose, thats the great thing about going anywhere. 

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#27 OFFLINE   Kent

Kent

Poster

• NATCOA Members
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 02:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:North Carolina
  • Interests:Photography, Veteran Issues, Sports, Travel, pretty much anything that has to do with service dog advocacy. I am a lifetime member of the DAV, VFW, American Legion and a couple other organizations.
  • Camper Brand:NorthStar
  • Truck Make & Model:Toyota Tundra
  • Name (Public):Kent

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:20 AM

I agree that having a TC allows me to do whatever I want when I want to.  I have one campground I go to that is a sardine like but it is just a great place so we go for the people.  There are others that we want to have the space.  The joy of having a TC is you can always make your choice on the fly and go where you want.  I was just at West Point and they only had tent sites left so I paid for a tent site and stayed in the parking space allowed never set up in an actual campground spot.

Kent Phyfe
SFC, U.S. Army Retired
kent@kphyfe.com
860-234-8818
2014 Toyota Tundra, 2013 NorthStar Liberty, Torklift Tiedown, Fastguns
See my photos at: http://photo.kphyfe.com

Follow my blog about the travels of Iris and I at http://kphyfe.blogspot.com

Help support other Veterans like me who have a medical need for a Service Dog Like Mike!

#28 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

I get some funny looks when I tell them I want a tent site even funner pulling into it with our TC.

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#29 OFFLINE   Lancealot

Lancealot

lancealot

• NATCOA Members
  • 581 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Interests:TCing , fly fishing , drag racing ,
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 f-550 XLT crew/4x4
  • Name (Public):Brian

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Campfire smoke  is enough to cause unbelievable stuffiness up yer nose that you cannot sleep. 

They need to  establish another basic rule, that of of fires out by 10 pm.

That would pretty much quiet things down also.

Thank the Lord for state parks it helps preserve the wilds.

Hi. you may have a hard time with smoke and campfires , going on some of our Natcoa caravans when we have some fires that go late into the night and some are so big we swear they can be seen from space . We have a great friendly get together it's a hoot. Murphy's law states no matter which side of the fire you sit on the smoke will find you for sure. :sad0049:

CAMPING  where you spend a small fortune , to live like a homeless person .

#30 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 849 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Iowa
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Need a place to camp the Night? All Welcome.
  • Camper Brand:1994 Lance 990 11' 3"
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 F-350 CC, 4x4, LB, SRW, Diesel
  • Name (Public):Doug

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

Try County Parks. Most County parks are usually a little quieter, especially during the week.  They are usually empty.

:usa:

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

Click Link: http://www.midwesttr...s.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240
Wagon Master - For MWTC'S

#31 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

Hi. you may have a hard time with smoke and campfires , going on some of our Natcoa caravans when we have some fires that go late into the night and some are so big we swear they can be seen from space . We have a great friendly get together it's a hoot. Murphy's law states no matter which side of the fire you sit on the smoke will find you for sure. :sad0049:

Lol....yep...that's for sure.

www.thetclife.com

#32 OFFLINE   amcclaran

amcclaran

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 438 posts
  • Local time: 02:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:vermont
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Laredo '06
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel ext cab, short bed
  • Name (Public):anne

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:44 AM

dont mind the smoke at all if it means no black flies, skeeters or no-seeums!

we always camp feb/march/april - which may be "before season" some places, but in warmer areas (South & SW), guess that is prime time. especially March-early April- for spring break. its hard to avoid crowds. weekends can be impossible without reservations (which we have learned not to do), so weekends we usually end up at state forests or natl forests with no hookups. Amenities and restrooms/showers can be a bit sketchy sometimes, so it is a trade-off. 

fall camping after Labor Day is the best for us, cause we go north instead of south. Love those Northern lakes with clear, clean water and northern woods. Have spent time at some great Provincial Parks in Ontario. Georgian Bay on Lake Huron is especially nice.

will make note of the links to COE campgrounds, and the free campgrounds and boondocking sites.

tn_gallery_3117_167_22668.jpg

#33 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

Knighteagle,

So do they have camping sections in state parks that are exclusively for the mentally ill? Let me know, I might finally belong somewhere after all.

I go camping to get a vacation, a rest, to get away. I am talking about so much smoke elevated to the point that no normal person could get much sleep in such a polluted nose stuffing environment.

Intelligent discussions are what it's all about here... not to be dubbed' insane' by Knighteagle or any others.

I must say perhaps it is a glad thing to no longer be participating much in discussion around here with comments like that.

Thanks for the e mail invites you guys I'll have to pass due to my mental illness.

Edited by mjgcamper, 16 June 2014 - 06:26 AM.

To go see the Northern lights, Alaska, Queen Charlot Islands, all of B.C., Alberta too, To travel every back road inside the American and Canadian Rockies. Not a 'Grand Potentate', just grand while in the mountains, fire going, bears all around, no work to do.

#34 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • State/Province or Region:South Dakota
  • Interests:full time RVing, hiking, photography,whittling, straight razor shaving,fishing,blog: http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/
  • Camper Brand:AF 1150, wet bath, Solar
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 Supercab, 4x4, DWR, 6.2L, 4.30 gear, Camper package,13,300 GVWR, custom Reading service body, Hellwig Big Wig sway bar, Torklift tiedowns, Stable Loads & Fast Guns

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:49 AM

I second the idea of using county parks. Most of them are less well known and see less use. Go during the week and most are about empty.

Posted Image

#35 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:41 AM

:tongue0013: No slide remarks were intended at or to anyone. If someone took it wronge or aimed at them. Was not my intent.   :tongue0013:

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#36 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

the only question I have....aren't all places less crowded during the week?

:tongue0013:

im just sayin' lol.

www.thetclife.com

#37 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:full time RVing, hiking, photography,whittling, straight razor shaving,fishing,blog: http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 Supercab, 4x4, DWR, 6.2L, 4.30 gear, Camper package,13,300 GVWR, custom Reading service body, Hellwig Big Wig sway bar, Torklift tiedowns, Stable Loads & Fast Guns

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:21 PM

It would be nice if they were, but if your near a major metro area during summer vacation the parks can be really full all week. An example is Starved Rock State Park in Illinois. Just a few hours drive from Chicago and booked solid most of the summer. LOTS of campfires there LOL  :scared0008: 

Posted Image

#38 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

Actually I have to somewhat agree with mjgcamper about the campfire thing. On a warm summer night it's nice to smell the campfires while outside the camper. But I dont care to use my vent fans and pull all that smokey smell inside where it can get into the bedding, drapes, upholstery and such.

Posted Image

#39 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

I quess growing up next to a smoke house as a kid counts me out of the crowed then.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#40 OFFLINE   mjgcamper

mjgcamper

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 11:08 PM

Skipper Dave, good point.

Knighteagle, a simple I'm sorry, would have gone lots farther to stopping the smoke sent my way. I forgive you anyhow, anyways.

It's sad alright when you shut off your lights, hit the sack and cannot sleep from smoke and noise. Looking out my window to count the fires and where the noise is coming from so dog gone late at night, I could see our neighbors window below with them laying in bed. Not much like camping so close together. 

Edited by mjgcamper, 16 June 2014 - 11:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In