• 1361 posts
  • Local time: 12:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

My cab over extends just past my radio antenna on my extended cab. Only a few traffic lights mounted very high of close to my side of the intersection have been obscured by the overhang. I am tall so shorter people would have even less issue with the cab over. I do find I have less frost on the windshield and run my wipers less in stop-and-go traffic.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#22 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • Local time: 02:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

At the rallie in Montana which I was not able to go to I saw a picture of a rig carrying a small boat over the hood of the truck. Thought that may help decide how I can take all my toys and the wifes car on very long trips. Well when I checked my cab over it was appearent that I would have a small problem to deal with. One either build it extending 4-5 ft past the front bumper, or buy a 3-4ft boat. For if you drop a string down from the tip of the cab over its over my hood by 12 inches or so. I like the sun shield when the sun is in your eyes. But I don't really see the camper that much. The Lance was defferent saw it more. You learn to drive your truck as to how the TC affects it. Whether that's how you see the lights, on the hills, or the curves. Think what Sailor was talking about is not so much more weight on the back tires than the front in the cab sizes its the weight of the cabs only They add 6-800lbs of steel and glass to the truck so it comes out of carring capaltlities. Adding a TC the weight is the same on the front and rear no matter which cab you may have. For the CG on a TC is a fixed point so to speak.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#23 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 849 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Iowa
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Need a place to camp the Night? All Welcome.
  • Camper Brand:1994 Lance 990 11' 3"
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 F-350 CC, 4x4, LB, SRW, Diesel
  • Name (Public):Doug

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:07 PM

oldguy,

You say your going to pull a horse and trailer.  With srw please pay attention to your wheel and tire payload capacities.

Usually putting a truck camper on a srw will max out your tire capacities especially if your wanting a heavier tc.  Adding a small trailer even with one horse will probably max out your tires.  You'll have to upgrade tires and wheels or maybe you have already done this.   I think you can do this for $3000-3500.

In the long run for greatest stability, especially when the wife drives and you nap you'll want a drw.  Maybe put that $3500 into a drw to start.

If you have that older dodge that you love that gets in the 20mpg's I understand why you'd want to keep it.  Most new trucks no matter the brand are still having a hard time to get into that 20 range.

remember these are just my suggestions.  Good Luck.

:usa:

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

Click Link: http://www.midwesttr...s.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240
Wagon Master - For MWTC'S

#24 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 849 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Iowa
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Need a place to camp the Night? All Welcome.
  • Camper Brand:1994 Lance 990 11' 3"
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 F-350 CC, 4x4, LB, SRW, Diesel

Posted 24 November 2013 - 12:57 PM

saw this in TCM,  http://www.truckcamp...ruck-and-camper

:usa:

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

Click Link: http://www.midwesttr...s.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240
Wagon Master - For MWTC'S

#25 OFFLINE   Skyhammer

Skyhammer

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Local time: 12:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Host Everest
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350 DRW
  • Name (Public):Skyhammer

Posted 24 November 2013 - 03:26 PM

My over head is roughly 6.6" long, subtracting the rear seats to make a rough calculation of what a regular cab would be, the over head would extend to the windshield washer emitters, nearly half way down the hood.

That would definitely add weight to the front axle, maybe to much weight.

My over head is fairly large, measuring form the outside, it is 4' 4" tall. When lying on the bed, I can barely touch the ceiling with the tip of my finger,I am 5'10" tall.

My over head extends almost to the top of the windshield, I have to stick my face nearly into the windshield in order to see it.

Edited by Skyhammer, 24 November 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   wirenut

wirenut

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:VA
  • Interests:boating trains amateur radio
  • Camper Brand:Fleetwood
  • Truck Make & Model:'05 3500 chevy

Posted 24 November 2013 - 05:22 PM

OP, just curious. Why have you decided to exclude Host form your list of possibilities. It seems they would be very comparable to Lance, AF, and EC.

#27 OFFLINE   Whitey

Whitey

Poster

• INTCOA Members
  • 46 posts
  • Local time: 04:17 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Western Australia
  • Camper Brand:2013 Eagle Cap 1160
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram Laramie 3500HO Crew diesel 4x4 longbed

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:23 AM

My Eagle Cap 1160 is very heavy, but has an amazing amount of space, dry bath, sofa, large fridge, triple batteries, lots of cupboards,
Large exterior rear 2 door locker & a dance floor. Doug

#28 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:27 AM

There are many defferent TC brands out there. Problem is not all are in all states, Some just don't seem to get to far from home state they were manufactured in. Another problem is dealers. They will sell TT but refuse to sell TC at all. Some of that is the TC manufacter's fault. Spke to a TT dealer near me," we don't sell TC because the manufactures require us to have three or four at a time on the lot" So to find a dealer is almost imposable. I know of only two in Texas that is there main item they sell, along with a few trailers. Some states don't have one at all. Lastly TC come and go there is a list of dead TC http://www.rvadvice.com/rvmfgs/TC.html <This link pops up a message in my virus checker but I think it is safe I go here often> I don't know them all.

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#29 OFFLINE   Kendawson

Kendawson

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ca

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

A rule of thumb regarding the weight on the rear axle.  When the TC center of gravity is midway between the front and rear axle, the weight is evenly divided between these two axles.  As the CG moves back, more weight goes on the back and less on the forward axle until when the CG is at the back axle, all of the weight of the TC is on the back axle.  If the CG moves even further, behind the back axle, then truck load on the forward axle is moved off the forward axle and onto the back axle.  (The front of the truck starts lifting up).  Whether you have a standard cab or a crew cab, it does not matter.  What changes is the amount of payload you can put on the truck due to the increase weight of the truck given the additional structure of the crew cab.  A simple formula would be the weight of the camper times the length of the wheel base minus the distance that the CG is ahead of the wheel base and divided by the length of the wheel base   If the CG is behind the rear axle, then add the distance that the CG is behind the axle rather than subtract the CG dimension. 

R=P*(L-a)/L  where R is the load of the TC on the rear axle, P is the weight of the TC, L is the wheel base dimension and "a" is the distance the CG is ahead of the rear axle. 

Ken Dawson, PE

#30 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

Still neither side are doing the public right. How can you say <using an AF-990 as example>3050 dry. Look at the weight charts and yes it will work on all makes. Now add the fox pakage that you have to have no choice. 3700 dry now add options can add another 600 up to 4300 oh wait need water food gear your wife and kids there dog PROPANE ohhh  have I forgotten anything, oh the side awning. Up to 4750 Think we passed the max on the 3/4 ton about a 1000 lbs back some where. And fast approction the 1 ton max. There are some of us that have weighed there Rigs at each wheel when loaded and unloaded. I have the testing background behind me. I had a big boy Camper the Lance 1191 it was a pronlem childed glad to see it go. May go back to another big boy later when I retire. But back to r=p*(l-a)/l, what ever same rear ends same springs same frame same front suspention different frames to fit the cab size will equale a defferent payload max. Not saying anything about moving the TC back to over the axle or towards the bumber, right up to the bedwall by the cab area. Where the cg isjust forward of the rear axle. Most of us know add a 100 rear need a 100 forward for balance.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#31 OFFLINE   Kendawson

Kendawson

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 01:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ca

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

The issue I was trying to address was the misunderstanding that these large campers could not go on a crew cab truck but had to only go on a standard cab.  I am not familiar with the AF-990 but looking at the Adventurer web site, the 910 DB and 910 FBD are close companions at 3150 and 3200 base weight.  Adding on the standard option package adds approximately 500 to 600 lbs.  Adding on the weight of full water, propane and batteries gets you and addition 500 lbs. and then figure 500 lbs. of gear puts you at approximately 4200 to 4300 lbs.  Figure all of that weight is on the rear axle so add this to the truck weight on the rear axle and you have the total weigh acting there.  Nice thing about the Adventurer/Eagle Cap web side is they give you all of the base frame weights fore each model, all of the option weights and the total wet weight as well.  This also comes with a total cost breakdown.  Every TC manufacturer should do the same.

So take off the tail gate on your truck, grab the wife and kids, fill up with gas/diesel and drive to the nearest weigh station.  Weigh your front axle and rear axle separately.  With this information you can now determine the max wet weigh you can legally carry as will as the max camper weight you can load on the truck.  You may find that you would need to limit the fresh water load in some cases simply to say within boundaries.  Some of the really big rigs come with 80 gal fresh water tanks.  Load only half that and you save 330 lbs.  It would be nice if there were a web site where individuals could enter this kind of information on the rigs they own for the benefit of those looking into investing in a new truck and or camper.

#32 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

No one saying you are wronge. Just that crew cabs lose 600-800 from the payload. Take my Ram 3500DRW its a single cab payload 5900 lbs a crew cab DRW around 5300. And a single cab 1 ton around 4900 and last the crew cab SRW about 4300. I would neeed to go to Dodge web site to get the true numbers. So it does show your right if you talking about SRW but add DRW's into the mix it will change your numbers so the TC do work. Check out Truck Camper Magazine

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#33 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Local time: 03:17 AM
  • State/Province or Region:South Dakota
  • Interests:full time RVing, hiking, photography,whittling, straight razor shaving,fishing,blog: http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/
  • Camper Brand:AF 1150, wet bath, Solar
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 Supercab, 4x4, DWR, 6.2L, 4.30 gear, Camper package,13,300 GVWR, custom Reading service body, Hellwig Big Wig sway bar, Torklift tiedowns, Stable Loads & Fast Guns

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

I'm just quoting the manufacturer and RV dealer when commenting about AF units placed CC trucks.

And as far as the COG of the camper, truck manufactures provide specific information as to where this should be as in relation to the rear axle. That location will vary depending on the truck's design build.

I think I'm going to stay away from this thread as I see too many opinions which may serve to confuse rather than inform. I know we are all trying to be helpful but sometimes its best for one to do their own homework once pointed in the right direction.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In