Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time: 05:11 AM
  • State/Province or Region:minnesota
  • Camper Brand:trying to decide brand
  • Truck Make & Model:dodge 3500 SRW

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:05 AM

I am getting bummed out. All my actual looking at and researching the different TC is daunting. I like Arctic Fox but models I like are too heavy for 3500SRW. Eagle Cap dealer is 1000 miles away and I am not reading very positive reports of dealing with factory issues that's too bad I liked them the best. And Lance is priced too high in my estimation a 992 for $39,500. That's more than I paid for my 5er. Keeping my eyes open for used ones but there is not too many newer ones out there. I will have to widen my brand search.

#2 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Local time: 06:11 AM
  • State/Province or Region:South Dakota
  • Interests:full time RVing, hiking, photography,whittling, straight razor shaving,fishing,blog: http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/
  • Camper Brand:AF 1150, wet bath, Solar
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 Supercab, 4x4, DWR, 6.2L, 4.30 gear, Camper package,13,300 GVWR, custom Reading service body, Hellwig Big Wig sway bar, Torklift tiedowns, Stable Loads & Fast Guns

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

Don't despair, Old Guy. Winter is almost upon us and, unless your a cold weather camper, the camper might not get used much anyway. That means you have several months to search for the camper that works best for you.

Sorry that I cant be more help. Going full time and needing a high quality camper I limited my research to Northwoods, Lance and Northern Lite. All well made, 4 season units but also some of the most expensive out there. I was also lucky not to own a truck and could purchase what I needed for the camper I chose.

Have you an idea of how much you will be using the camper each year? With light usage other brands may hold up well for you. I know that RV Consumer Group rated truck campers as one time but stopped doing do. However they still publish a ratings book from their older research. I know I was able to obtain a copy from them about 18 months ago but no longer have it.  It might help point you in the right direction if want to widen your brand search.

https://www.rv.org/

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:full time RVing, hiking, photography,whittling, straight razor shaving,fishing,blog: http://newadventuresofolddave.blogspot.com/
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 Supercab, 4x4, DWR, 6.2L, 4.30 gear, Camper package,13,300 GVWR, custom Reading service body, Hellwig Big Wig sway bar, Torklift tiedowns, Stable Loads & Fast Guns

Posted 21 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

I see they are sill selling 2 truck camper rating guides.

http://www.rv.org/sh...}-Other-Ratings

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   BillTex

BillTex

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Local time: 07:11 AM
  • Camper Brand:Adventurer
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A CC
  • Name (Public):BillTex

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:32 AM

I am getting bummed out. All my actual looking at and researching the different TC is daunting. I like Arctic Fox but models I like are too heavy for 3500SRW. Eagle Cap dealer is 1000 miles away and I am not reading very positive reports of dealing with factory issues that's too bad I liked them the best. And Lance is priced too high in my estimation a 992 for $39,500. That's more than I paid for my 5er. Keeping my eyes open for used ones but there is not too many newer ones out there. I will have to widen my brand search.

We are on our 2nd AMLRV (Adventurer/Eagle Cap) and could not be happier. Our 1st TC (2003 Adventurer) was the most trouble free RV we ever owned...that is one reason we stuck with AMLRV for our 2nd (Eagle Cap).

Our recent shopping experience earlier this year was much like yours;

* It was difficult to understand the pricing on Lance-WAY higher than the others and less "standard" equipment.

* EC and AF both very nice-but AF was the heaviest.

Ultimately we felt EC was the best value (and as noted our previous experience with the OEM was positive).

Our sig shows our final decision...and we are very happy with that.

The winter RV shows are starting...perhaps you can do some comparison there?

Bill

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson 

#5 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Local time: 03:11 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

When there's a complaint about a camper, the second thing the user does is start posting it on the internet.

The first thing they probably do is seek settlement from the dealer, then the factory.

I maintain the Eagle Cap Owners forum and with one exception, there are very few complaints being posted about problems or dissatisfaction with service.

The exception makes me wonder. . .the factory has bent over backward helping that fellow. 

Is there something more to the story that won't be revealed on the internet?  Can't tell.

Plus there are lots and lots of other owners. . .where are all the complaints?

I simply have not seen them.

It could be that the new ownership and factory started in 2011 - maybe they have not produced all that many truck campers?

But one would think that there would be at least a few problems not resolved. ???

#6 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

Looking at TC is a daunting task at hand. Need to make a bucket list at what you want in one. Looking at the max weight that dodge list for your truck payload is 4140 lbs. That's there lawyers talking, is it safe to go over it depends on what you are exceeding it by. And what you are backing it up with. But as a safe point, try to keep it at or under. Most of us that have AF 990 and up are on DRW trucks. Why for stablitly reasons, handling, load carring.. We do have a higher payload. But check out http://www.tomscamperland.com/ they have a wide varity of TC to see online a Wolf Creek 850 is the same layout as a AF-990 but no slide and 1000lbs lighter. Its dry weight as listed is 2008lbs but that's no options as it sits empty all tanks and no LP. at toms they have one and it is priced at 24k. Can you find on near you maybe. It would be better for the warrenty only but after the first year or so. Then it wouldn't matter who you got it from. Used you may save money but that's where it ends any work you just have to take it to who ever. Another is Princess craft http://www.princesscraft.com/ or TC magazine they have links to a lot of other maker's http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/ Moving from a 5er to a TC is quite a step down in room from say 320sq ft  to 120sq ft is a big change. The AF-990 would put you at your max. Your gear that what you be over by. That can be fixed with stable loads, tires, air bags, heaver shocks, sway bars. Any or all would help.

Looking at what the dealers say and what the truck makers say don't add up. Saw a Eagle Cap 1165 they said would fit a 3/4 ton and a 1160 a one ton? that's A TC dealer and its a lie! A EC 1165 dry weight is 5122 and the 1160 is at 4826. They say anything to make a sale. A Truck manufacture does the same thing to make there products look better than the rest.

Bottom line what do you want in one! WC-850, AF-990?, L-992/1050, A-910(both), EC-995http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DHXrogkXZwk a video on it. All would work on a 1 ton maybe at your max but really I wouldn't go much larger than these I mention.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#7 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 04:11 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

Have you looked at adventurer? They make a decent camper and they may be a bit lighter. Or you can look at Arctic foxes wolf creek line if you want to go lighter as well.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#8 OFFLINE   Whitey

Whitey

Poster

• INTCOA Members
  • 46 posts
  • Local time: 07:11 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Western Australia
  • Camper Brand:2013 Eagle Cap 1160
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram Laramie 3500HO Crew diesel 4x4 longbed
  • Name (Public):Doug

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Hi,
There are a lot of very happy people out there with Adventurer & Eagle Cap Campers, but the dealer you choose is very important
to get that factory support. Adventurer LP manufacturer of the above two campers and the Epp family have been in the RV manufacturing business for over 50 years. Made in Yakima, WA.
Lance, very expensive, have been getting a lot more complaints of late, in the two major forums.
I have had an Adventurer 2010 910fbs and now an 2013 Eagle Cap 1160.
Eagle Cap now have two production lines, Adventurer, probably have double.
Well built, great decours, reasonably priced. Form, function, finish, all boxes ticked.
There have been some minor issues in the past with 910 and now some small items on new 1160, but all fixed.
Good Luck, with your camper.

#9 OFFLINE   old guy

old guy

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

Ok I will research Eagle Cap so called problems some more. Maybe the one guy was a so called troll on there. Wow knighteagle you are 4785 pounds wet I think that rules both a AF-990 and probably a 992 also out. I have all winter to decide and convince wife to change to a TC. She would use it alone with horses than us together.  I have seen a few guys with both a TC and a 5er so that might be option also.

#10 OFFLINE   BillTex

BillTex

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 05:04 AM

Ok I will research Eagle Cap so called problems some more. Maybe the one guy was a so called troll on there. Wow knighteagle you are 4785 pounds wet I think that rules both a AF-990 and probably a 992 also out. I have all winter to decide and convince wife to change to a TC. She would use it alone with horses than us together.  I have seen a few guys with both a TC and a 5er so that might be option also.

We have a TC and TT...one thing the Wife really likes about TC is she will use it alone...she would not do that with TT. But she loves Girls weekends with her Friends and the TC!

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

#11 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:15 AM

This may be a bit off topic but worth noting for people who are looking to match a tuck and a larger camper.

When looking at the weight of larger campers it seems to me they were designed to be carried in trucks with regular cabs. A regular cab truck will have the heaviest GVWR (with all other things being equal) and the weight distribution will be most correct.

I know from experience that placing a large AF (1140 - 1150) on a crew cab will shift the full weight of the camper onto the rear axle. Even with my extended cab most of the weight of my 1150 ended up on the rear axle.

Perhaps TC manufactures should design campers for crew cab trucks, as this is what most people seem to have. Or they could be more up front about the fact that their larger campers are designed to be mounted on a regular cab pickup.

My dealer had a sign posted in the sales area, and a copy of this sign was handed to me when I told the sales rep I wanted to look at the AF line. It was entitled "Truck recommendations for Arctic Fox Truck Campers". One point on that sign / flyer:

"Take special care with crew cabs. Because of the extra long length of the crew cab almost all of the load is on the rear tires with none of the weight load going to the front tires. The very largest camper to go on a crew cab is the 990, and it would be better if the truck was a dually"

If I wanted my truck to be a perfect match for my camper it should have been a regular cab. But we don't live in a perfect world and being full time I really needed the extended cab. And for the record my camper is tagged at 3874 but weighs 4240 dry with installed options.

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:47 AM

When the "new" camper is in the hands of a transport company or a dealer - things happen that they won't tell you about.

If you get a new camper that was damaged outside the factory hands before you took possession it will cause you endless grief to get it fixed.

If you somehow damage the new camper yourself (yeah, like that never happens) and try to get help from the dealer or factory it could be a real problem as well.

One has to remember that one or all of the above could and probably have happened with every manufacturer.

My first camper was damaged by the dealer - somehow they ripped the side awning.

They replaced it but the thought never occurred to me that they could have compromised the frame when impacting the awning. . .

#13 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 849 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Iowa
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Need a place to camp the Night? All Welcome.
  • Camper Brand:1994 Lance 990 11' 3"
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 F-350 CC, 4x4, LB, SRW, Diesel
  • Name (Public):Doug

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:58 AM

old guy,

The t/c's you've been looking at you say are to heavy for a srw.  Is there a reason why you want to stay with a srw?

Yes there is an expense in trading trucks if that's whats holding you back. I understand.  Well we can't all have what we want when we want .  I had to wait 4 years after I initially wanted to get a tc because I couldn't afford it.

How much are you going to use your t/c in a years time.  We are going to be close to 90 days this year by the time its up almost 3 whole months.  Some only camp 14days a year and others are lifer's like Dave.  If your not going to be in it much maybe you'll have to go without a few of the things you want for a while.

how many people will be camping with you? 

I see your from Minnesota have you checked out NorthStar Campers yet?  They are made in Iowa.  Not far for you to go and see.

If its just two adults the NorthStar Arrow 8.5 with side dinette http://www.northstar...tId=17&numId=29

has a couch in it instead of a traditional dinette.  There is more room inside the tc this way and great for two adults.  This rig would also be perfect for your 3/4 ton.  Call and ask for the owner Rex Willett he is the salesman make an appointment and go visit the factory.  Rex is very Very busy and hard to get ahold of for he is the only salesman.  They do have a dealership about 40 minutes to the east of them that sells campers and tc's.  It called Kettlson Rv.  but you might pay a little more.

We ordered a 2013 new model Arrow 8.5 with side dinette in Sept. of 2012 for $27,500 but we had some custom storage boxes make for ours to go on our flatbed truck.

A place in Minneiapolis that I've vistited that I thought the guy seemed to be a fare and honest man was at: http://www.niemeyers...=&submit=Search

His prices are about $10,000 less than any others.  He is still making a profit so you know most dealers have their campers really marked up to make a profit.  He has a New 2013 Artic Fox 992  Sale priced at $24,480.  I'd jump at that in a hurry before someone else on here reads about it and calls.  I don't know if you like the floorplan, I'm not fond of it but to each is own.

A website I've use to look at tc is; http://www.rvusa.com...esults?source=1

In my opinion from what I've heard this past few years is lance is living on reputation and the newer models are having some issues with quality control.  Plus you pay for the name too.

Good luck.

:usa:

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

Click Link: http://www.midwesttr...s.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240
Wagon Master - For MWTC'S

#14 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

Give or take 4785lbs. AF-990 they say the dry weight is 3010 then add 650 for the Fox Package add 100 for the side awning then 490 for water, 110 for propane, 150 for the A/C unit, and the full ward robe unit 175 lastly the onan gen 100. This is about 4785 Havent had it weight. That's why I mention you be near your max. For testing purpose the truck makers field test them at twice what the legal department allows them to post about there units to see at what point the componets may fail at. But as you mention your wife be using it more with the horse's then the Wolf Creek 850 maybe perfect. Still made to the AF standards same frame almost the same parts. but 1000lbs lighter than a 990. As sailer dave mention a crew cab pushes the weight of a TC more onto the rear end, it lowers your cargo some but not a whole lot. I don't know if you have a single cab or crew cab. But a 24" hitch extension would be needed to pull the trailer.

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#15 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1361 posts
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

I have the AF811 with all of the heavy options and still tow 7000 lbs with my 3/4t. You will spend around $3000 in upgrades to make it handle safely, but this may be a better option than replacing a good truck. See my signature for details.

We chose the 811 because of the capacities it offered in a short bed model but it also comes in a long bed version without the generator and rear wing storage.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual  Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, New Process NV271 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles with locks

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks,  Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric fireplace with heater, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#16 OFFLINE   old guy

old guy

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Doug I have been to niemyers and went through 5 campers. He has sold the 996, 2-990 and another one sense I was there. I noticed also his prices were a lot lower than everybody. He sold the 996 to I think he said a dealer in MT. Kind of funny that camper almost made it back to where it came from. I am looking at the Adventurer models now.

#17 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 03:28 PM

Old Guy I remember when we first got our TC Not the AF or the Lance but our old Weekender TC. It was a beater, a cheap well used TC. An Idea to get the wife on board is get a used TC for less than 7k clean it up some and try it. There is a learning curve. Yet the adventure lines are nice, I liked the EC best. I'm still amazed at the cost of TC's. But I understand why. But some have there price inflated based on there popularaity. Our Lance we had was nice but it soured us on them every time we went out had problems going and when we came back. The hardest repair was in the basement without opening the bottom had to reach in throw a vent and force a piece of foam between the floor and a loose panel that was fibrating with the wind that was outside coming in? 

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#18 OFFLINE   Skyhammer

Skyhammer

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Host Everest
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350 DRW
  • Name (Public):Skyhammer

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:54 AM

I have to disagree with Skipper Dave. My camper is specifically designed for a crew cab. If my camper was put on a regular cab, the overhead would extend at least half way over the hood, greatly reducing your vision.I can't even see my over head on my crew cab. 

Yes most of the weight of the camper is on the rear axle, but that is what you want, the rear axle has 4000lbs more capacity that the front axle. My camper adds 900lbs to the front axle, which is 1390lbs under the front axle max. capacity. When I add my front carrier with generator, fuel and water my front axle weighs in at 4900lbs, my front axle capacity is 5940lbs.

If my camper was on a regular cab, the center of gravity would be to far forward.

if you look at Host's photo gallery, I believe all the campers are on crew cabs, as that is how the campers are designed.

Bottom line, there are campers made specifically for crew cabs and they do add weight to the front axle and you will encounter problems if these camper are put on a regular or super cab. Will my camper work on other cab configurations, yes, but your experience won't be ideal.

#19 OFFLINE   Skipper Dave

Skipper Dave

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

Skyhammer. Thanks for the information gained from your experience.

I should have limited my comments to the larger Arctic Fox campers, my mistake. When the dealer weighed my unit on a regular cab pickup the front axle had 4800 pounds on it. When weighed on my extended cab, this weight dropped to 4200 pounds (of course this included the weight of the truck). My front bumper rises about an inch and a half when loaded.

I did do a survey on the Northwoods owners website before I bought my unit and truck, asking about how much the cab over interfered with the drivers vision. Those with regular cabs mentioned only one point; when at a stop light they sometimes had to stop a bit further back in order to see the overhead traffic signal. On my extended cab I have to lean forward in order to see the overhead. Perhaps your overhang is larger than those of Arctic Fox?

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   BillTex

BillTex

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:33 AM

Skipper Dave, were both trucks weighed without camper?

CC trucks would inherently place more weight on rear axle...

I don't understand this obsession with "looking up"...what are you Guys looking for?

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In