Pantouflard

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:VT

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:51 AM

Hey KansasBob

I'm still trying to figure out the lifting system inner workings. I saw the diagram you made of the slider tube with the little pulley at the top to anchor the cable.

Where exactly is that pulley and how big is it. I try to visualize it by following the cable tube but can't make sense yet. Also, how do you service the lifting system, do you remove the tubes thru the outside corners? I really want to figure all this out,so to be ready if the system fails. I drove a Mack truck for years and always fixed myself. Yesterday the shower tent came in, it's a 5x5 Browning type, plenty room and even a small shelf inside. The screen window unzips so I can route the shower head hose thru it and hang it on the ceiling. I bought a small kiddy inflatable pool for the bottom and two small coleman foldable benches one in and one out.

#102 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Kansas
  • Camper Brand:Palomino
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-150

Posted 12 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Hey KansasBob

I'm still trying to figure out the lifting system inner workings. I saw the diagram you made of the slider tube with the little pulley at the top to anchor the cable.

Where exactly is that pulley and how big is it. I try to visualize it by following the cable tube but can't make sense yet. Also, how do you service the lifting system, do you remove the tubes thru the outside corners? 

I know exactly what you mean.  I have to be in pretty dire straits to take anything I own to a mechanic or repair service. I can't imagine Ever taking an RV to a repair facility............... they just aren't that complicated.

I'm almost embarrassed to say how much time I spent trying to find info on the roof lift system, and came up with almost nothing.

Physics insist that there is a pulley somewhere in the lifting tube, but I have no idea Exactly how it is positioned.

My drawing was limited by my ability to use the software, and is only "conceptual" to get an idea of how the forces work.  If I try to explain what it looks like inside .................. the pulley has to be centered in the tube, but I just don't know.  :wacko:

You've peaked my interest again, and there is an RV repair place just down the road from me.  I may have to stop by there today with my camera and see if he has one taken part. I think he can at least tell me how they work. 

As far as emergency measures in the event of a failure I'm still working on a plan of action.  

Edited by KansasBob, 12 September 2013 - 04:46 AM.

KansasBob is approved by celebrity TV doctors.

af2ebc3b-c999-47b2-9cdb-b3413554c705_zps

#103 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:06 AM

Here is a link to the best picture I found in a quick search this morning.

It's for a pull type popup, and there are more than one segment in the lifting assembly, but I think the concept is the same. 

Click on the "Coleman cable assembly" link in the middle of the page. Then it can be super sized.  

http://nccamper.tripod.com/id27.htm

I fixed the link so it goes directly to the photo. 

http://nccamper.trip...-428/cable1.GIF

Edited by KansasBob, 12 September 2013 - 05:25 AM.

#104 OFFLINE   Pantouflard

Pantouflard

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:10 AM

I know exactly what you mean.  I have to be in pretty dire straits to take anything I own to a mechanic or repair service. I can't imagine Ever taking an RV to a repair facility............... they just aren't that complicated.

I'm almost embarrassed to say how much time I spent trying to find info on the roof lift system, and came up with almost nothing.

Physics insist that there is a pulley somewhere in the lifting tube, but I have no idea Exactly how it is positioned.

My drawing was limited by my ability to use the software, and is only "conceptual" to get an idea of how the forces work.  If I try to explain what it looks like inside .................. the pulley has to be centered in the tube, but I just don't know.  :wacko:

You've peaked my interest again, and there is an RV repair place just down the road from me.  I may have to stop by there today with my camera and see if he has one taken part. I think he can at least tell me how they work. 

As far as emergency measures in the event of a failure I'm still working on a plan of action.  

Up here in the east places for me to take it for repair are very few and far apart, but like you, I like to fix things myself. I was looking at a site that sells spare parts for the Goshen system and try to figure things out but it turned out the site is for trailer pop up repair parts. There's really nothing out there. But the more I look at the system I'm beginning to understand. All four corner tubes are accessible from the outside, so that is where they would be removed, the long cranking (clutch box)in the front must be where the cables get spooled in. I looked at the screw to open it, and it looks like the unit has to be unscrewed from the wall in order to remove the end caps screws. There's only one way to figure the thing out is to take it apart, but I'm not that brave or desperate yet. If that thing breaks I want it to be at home, then it will fun to fix, not in the middle of nowhere with my wife sitting and watching me struggle. A few pictures would be great, I know if
I ever take it apart I will make a video of the procedure and post it on YouTube. The rest of the Palomino camper is easy enough to fix. Find out which system is on the Palomino if you talk to a repair shop. I have contacted Palomino quality control, regarding my missing screws on the tubes under the ceiling, but It was a waste of time, they were more concern in covering their butts than to explain why the screws were missing and not even drilled in the wall. So I don't expect much help from them.

#105 OFFLINE   Pantouflard

Pantouflard

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

That's a beginning, I can see it now, I like the idea of an emergency support pole, that's a great, I will make one. Now that think about it, I have a load bar in my truck bed that will do fine, you twist it to extend or retract it , there's nice thick pads on each end. I was planning on taking it on trips. Thanks for link

#106 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

I had all of my lifting posts disconnected during the repair process this spring, and found the all the weight of the roof is actually resting on the top of the lifting tubes. When I put it all back together I used 1/4" carriage bolts in the two top holes, and calked the heads on the outside.  I didn't even put anything in the bottom holes.

#107 OFFLINE   Pantouflard

Pantouflard

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

And I was worried about the Polar cub Air Con extra weight on my Palomino popup roof.

See these crazy campers pull this stunt with their Palomino popup

#108 OFFLINE   Pantouflard

Pantouflard

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:02 AM

KansasBob

I sent you all nine files regarding the Palomino lifting system,

Directions plus the diagrams and part numbers.

We did it, thanks to Christl from forums.trailerlife.com/

I'm on my way to Maine today

#109 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:41 AM

Thanks!  It was great info.  I think I know how to get them posted here, but it may take me a while. 

I sent you a response email.  Did you receive it?

Edited by KansasBob, 19 September 2013 - 09:43 AM.

#110 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

This will be an experiment............................................

I printed the PDF, and scanned it into a jpeg file.  Might be too small.........................  Here goes.

I was able to get the image pretty large by clicking on the little + sign on the lower right hand corner a couple of times. 

68448858-9e71-4a59-a348-b6ddfd1d44f7_zps

Edited by KansasBob, 21 September 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#111 OFFLINE   Pantouflard

Pantouflard

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 05:50 AM

My Real-Lite SS came without air conditioning. I bought a 9.5 BTU low profile Coleman Polar Cub and installed it myself. The opening of my air vent on the roof was the perfect size for the AC, removing the goop and the many screws around the air vent were easy. I had two tall friends stand on the bed of a pickup parked next to the TC and lifted the unit with the small wood pallet to the roof. I was first worried about my weight plus the 90lbs for the AC but the roof took it no problem, no sagging at all. I positioned the AC thick rubber pad around the 14 inches opening then went inside to align it; it was perfect fit, down to the millimeter. I hang the square bracket in the hole and screwed in the long bolts with the electric drill, until the rubber pads tabs came even with the top of the roof to get the proper pressure, I did smeared a very thin coat of sealant before placing the unit on the opening, but it's not necessary, the squeezing pressure of the long bolts keep the unit really snug and waterproof. We’ve had heavy rains since installation and not a drop inside. The roof has a slight curve by the front of the AC but it is accommodated for the small variation. All four pads underneath the AC are in full contact with the roof, it won't slide around. The roof has a granulated finish anyway.

Inside I had to run a #12 AWG cord along the ceiling to the edge of the canvas; I inserted it in a fully enclosed casing with adhesive backing.I had to cut a small half moon hole on the edge of the console inside to sneak the cord out of the unit, the roof is one inch thick, no way to run a wire inside. I wished I routed the wire a little better to make it look less unsightly. I could have run it straight to the curtain track then along it to the wall but it'll do. I then let the cord down along the soft wall to the plug next to the sink below the bed frame.. This 110V plug outlet (the hole. see Slippery Pete) came pre wired for Air conditioning with its own 20 amps breaker in the panel. I cut a 12AWG extension cord to wire the unit; it was cheaper that way, than buying a roll of soft housing 3 way copper wire.

I tried the AC on a hot day and we had to run it in low mode it was just too cold in full. So 9.5 BTU is more than enough for the TC.

Et voila.[attachment=3384:IMG_2623.JPG][attachment=3385:IMG_2644.JPG][attachment=3386:IMG_2646.JPG]

#112 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

Hey Chris,

Just an FYI..............................

Palomino puts some steel braces on both sides of the ac unit (front and back) when they install them. Looking at your photos it doesn't look like there were any installed at the factory?  

Here's what mine look like.  They're 33 inches apart and screw into some solid wood that is a part of the roof structure. It might be something worth thinking about. 

acbrace2_zps0b719281.jpg

acbrace1_zps1c6142dd.jpg

acbrace3_zpsbef15c45.jpg

#113 OFFLINE   Pantouflard

Pantouflard

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

I'll get right to it ASAP. I should have no trouble finding the right brace @H Depot'

Thanks for pointing this out.

question regarding the forum.

How come this morning I had the option to post files attchments and now I don't, at the bottom of the post window. I have filled my quota for the day posting. 5 posting is too little.

#114 OFFLINE   Fossel

Fossel

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 PM
  • State/Province or Region:California
  • Camper Brand:Palomino ss550
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 tundra
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

Well I have a palomino ss550. Had an older ska per before this one.I feel you get more bang for your buck with Palamino.It really does the job,as my scamper did. I travel baja fishing and surfing on some god awful roads. The ss550 has been great. It's not a lance but it keeps me dry and warm.Thats all I really need.a lot of pop up camper dealers charge u for a fridge,heater ,ect. That is bs. I got all that in this camper and use it all with no problems. Would a Chevy guy rave about a ford,NO! Palomino makes a decent camper that will do its job.if you want to pay 5000 more to get nicer curtains ,then go for it.I have over 15 trips down baja in very rough off road conditions and it's still working fine.I personally think all campers are made kind of cheaply, But I didn't have granite counters in my scamper or an outside hot shower. So I'm spoiled by this camper. That said ,if you can afford a north star or for wheel then get it.but 6'5" campers are rare to find cuz surfers snap them up out here. So I bought a new palomino and I'm real happy with it.

#115 OFFLINE   LarryJackson

LarryJackson

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 04 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

I bought a 2012 Palomino Bronco 1251 last month.  I was trying to decide between a TC and a TT as I had just sold my class a.  Was following all the places online that list TC and TT for sale.  I live in Texas and have family in Idaho.  I had noticed this Palomino listed in Twin Falls, Idaho for $9,995 and thought that was really too much.  Then one night before i went to bed I was looking at one of the sites and this TC was listed at $2,995.  I called them the next morning and my step-son ran over to look at it and I bought it over the phone.  Figured if it didn't work out I could always sell it for $2,995.  Drove up to Idaho and picked it up.  Then drove 1,200 miles back.  Only stayed one night on the way back but it was snowing in Wyoming and 25 degrees.  Was pleased that the heater worked great, in fact I had to turn it on low.  Just returned from a 10 day trip to Idaho and had an awesome trip.  I know it isn't a top of the line TC and it has a few problems but it served us great on this trip and I really love it.  Have a few more trips planned.  

#116 OFFLINE   salmonkiller

salmonkiller

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

Bump...

#117 OFFLINE   arcrespo

arcrespo

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • State/Province or Region:TN
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F150
  • Name (Public):Gus

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

I purchased a used 2008 Palomino Bronco 1251.  
Had the same issue, door would close on truck but not on jacks.  
I spent a ton of time trying to level it perfectly, but realized that using the four jacks their was no way to level door frame.
Then I used a scissor jack right under center of door frame to take some of the load off back jacks.
Both back jacks still touching ground and holding some weight but scissor jack holding weight of door frame squared it right up.
This worked great. Door closes perfectly!

As for the quality of my Palomino Bronco,

we love it. I have owned a Joyco and Rockwood Roo.  

Quality of my Palomino is equal to both of those.

Key is to find one that has been well taken care of.

#118 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 740 posts
  • Local time: 10:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

any one know if the build quality of Palomino's are any better now days?

have been looking at pop up's. Hallmark, which is probably one of the best, price for the Cuchara starts at 40K,

too much. Northstar looks good, price much better.

Outfitter is also nice, but I had trouble with a used one and the mfg was no help.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#119 OFFLINE   Hempomatic

Hempomatic

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • Local time: 10:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Interests:Music, guitars, motorcycles, traveling/camping, Our 2 dogs (Pug, Frenchie). I'm retired, able to do so while I'm still young and good looking. Spending as much time as I can with my wonderful wife.
  • Camper Brand:Travel Lite 960RX.
  • Truck Make & Model:'15 ford 250 4X4 superduty extended cab, 6.2L 340HP Torklift Tie Downs, Fast Guns, and and Stable Loads, Bodiak front hitch
  • Name (Public):ken

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

any one know if the build quality of Palomino's are any better now days?

have been looking at pop up's. Hallmark, which is probably one of the best, price for the Cuchara starts at 40K,

too much. Northstar looks good, price much better.

Outfitter is also nice, but I had trouble with a used one and the mfg was no help.

Stuart, there is "build quality", and there is "build quality".  I have a Travel Lite, the build quality is abysmal, HOWEVER, there are folks I've spoken to that have had far fewer issues than I have with their TL campers.  They don't seem to use them as often as I do.  We go out for months at a time.  Most folks (unless they're retired) use them a few weeks a year, or the occasional weekend. Many people also store the camper indoors.  Build quality is a LOT more important if you keep it outdoors and use it regularly.  I will say that I've spoken with FAR more Palomino owners that were happy with their campers, than Travel Lite.  40K is a lot of money is you're only going to be camping a few weeks a year.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In