On to Bronco upgrades. Fasteners. In the photo below is one of the screws Palomino uses all over their rvs. puny #8 x 1" round head wood screws. They seem to have some sort of plating but it must be very thin, because 90% of the ones I removed (hundreds of them) were rusty like the one in the photo. The other screws are just some of what I used to replace them. L to R #12 x 1" hex head sheet metal screw, #10 x 1" round head sheet metal screw, #8 x 1 1/4" flat head wood screw, #8 x 2 1/2" deck screw, #8 x 3" deck screw. I also used some #10 x 3/4" and #12 x 3/4" screws when the wood was too thin for a 1"
Pretty much everything I did, besides removing and replacing rotten wood, was to remove and replace the crappy screws with longer larger screws. The choice of which screw to use was done on a case by case basis. If there was only enough wood behind the screw to hold a 1" screw I replaced it with a larger 1" screw......... if there was thicker wood and a longer screw would be ok I used the longest screw that would fit. Some times I could "angle" a very long screw and grab a bunch of wood.
The first "re-work" I will talk about is the braces/supports screwed to the bottom of my 1250.... note: the 1200 and others without the rear wing storage will be different, but the whole concept will apply.
Here are the braces.
I was amazed to find out that the braces on the 4' portion of the bottom of the camper were only screwed off on the ends........ nothing in the middle. I drilled 4 holes on each brace, and added 4 screws. I replaced the screws holding the ends with 3" deck screws. These are the braces that rest on the bed of the truck.
Now on the 1250 there are 2 braces under the bottom of the "storage wings" and they are the major structural component of the rear of the camper because of the door opening. These braces Do Not rest on the bed and hang out over the back bumper. Sticking doors are a common problem because of the Lack of structural integrity of the whole rear of the camper.
I was amazed.....Again......... to find out BOTH braces were held on with those skimpy #8 screws. They may have even been #8 x 3/4"
I found that with very little effort I could have started pulling on mine and ripped them off with my bare hands. They were offering very little to the structure. Here are some photos of what mine look like now.
The problem is, for the most part, they are screwed the floor of the camper and there just isn't enough "meat" there to screw too. Here is a photo of the drivers side storage wing with two 2x6x1 treated deck boards cut to fit the space. I drilled extra holes in the braces, ran my 21/2" deck screws all the way up thru until they were sticking out and ground the tips of the screws off with a small grinder.
I repeated this process in the other wing, and cut a piece of 3/4" ply wood for a tight fit in the bottom of the closet floor just inside the door.
I went from maybe 8 or 10 #8 screws, screwed to only the floor of the camper, to around 18- 21/2" deck screws Per Brace!
Before doing this, while I had the door removed for repair, the door opening would narrow by an INCH at the top when the camper was on it's jacks un supported. .I had to put a 2x4 in the top of the frame to hold everything square. Now that it's all done my door works perfectly on or off the truck. Mission accomplished!
Edited by KansasBob, 24 June 2013 - 05:00 PM.