• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 01:11 AM
  • Interests:Old Allis Chalmers Tractors, Hunting, Hiking, Traveling
  • Camper Brand:Palomino - Bronco
  • Truck Make & Model:'99 Ford F-250 Super Duty Ex Cab 4X4 5.4 v-8
  • Name (Public):Dan

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

We bought a new B-1251 in 2007 for about $7k and have used it for 125+ nights of camping. We bought a used 1999 F250 to haul it and have had a bunch of good times with it.  Build quality on most things isn't what it might be, this camper included but we enjoy the outdoors and travel in the USA, been from sea to shining sea with it and nary a bad moment. The door works fine in ours but does not seal the best against a hard rain.  Ours is stored in the shed when not in use and looks as good as new. I solved the gray water issue by mounting a 7 gal water cannister behind the left wheel, in the truck bed and attached a short hose for draining, works slick and I used parts I had laying around so no cost. this past year the lift gave us trouble, had it replaced by a dealer but now it doesn't lift flat, rather the front lifts first, will need to have the dealer adjust it before our summer fun.  Don't be afraid because some say it is cheap.  We don't drive a Lincoln and are satisfied with Fords!

#22 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 849 posts
  • Local time: 12:11 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Iowa
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Need a place to camp the Night? All Welcome.
  • Camper Brand:1994 Lance 990 11' 3"
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 F-350 CC, 4x4, LB, SRW, Diesel
  • Name (Public):Doug

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

Love them Packers!!!  Wisconsinites are a very loyal crowd and serious about their Packers.  I lived up there when Farve was young and the Pack was going to back to back champions ships and super bowl games in the 90's.  Wow that was fun.  The whole state would shut down and either go to the game or be indoors watching the game and having family and friends over to have a great party with food and drinks of course.  I was amazed at how town streets were bare during game time Everyone was literal watching the game somewhere.  Only tumble weeds were going down the street.  It was COOL.

Lets see I believe Tomahawk was north, north east of were  I was about an hour if my memory serves me well.  I've been there several times if I have the correct town.  There use to be a army surplus store there that I visited a lot.

Your right on the t/c being very versatile.  Love how you can get around so easily. 

Since your in the Midwest and I consider that local for a Rally have you seen the post on the Midwest Truck Camper Rally?  I'm the host of the rally and would like to invite you to it personally.  Its in August 1st-5th at Amana, Iowa.  Check out the post on the rally page and if your interested come on down.  We have 12 rigs signed up from across the nation.  I'm hopeing to do more of this in the future and maybe some smaller get to gethers, and even some caravans.  I'm hoping to discuss this in person with those that attend the rally and that are from the Midwest area. 

Are you interested in a caravan expedition in the Midwest?  If so let me know and I'll put you on a tentative list of maybe people I'm compiling for the future to contact.  Let me know.

Later,

Doug B)

:usa:

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

Click Link: http://www.midwesttr...s.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240
Wagon Master - For MWTC'S

#23 OFFLINE   broncocamper

broncocamper

Poster

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WI
  • Camper Brand:Palomino Bronco
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

Countrycampers3,

Thanks for the invite, but we are unavailable at the time of the rally.  I think a cararvan would be fun to do sometime.  Right now our schedule is pretty tight and just have a few short trips planned.  Hopefully that will change in the next year or two.

#24 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Kansas
  • Camper Brand:Palomino
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-150

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

this past year the lift gave us trouble, had it replaced by a dealer but now it doesn't lift flat, rather the front lifts first, will need to have the dealer adjust it before our summer fun.  Don't be afraid because some say it is cheap.  We don't drive a Lincoln and are satisfied with Fords!

I would be curious to hear what broke on your lift system, and what symptoms you experienced prior to the failure.

Thanks, KBob 

KansasBob is approved by celebrity TV doctors.

af2ebc3b-c999-47b2-9cdb-b3413554c705_zps

#25 OFFLINE   Oldharleydude1

Oldharleydude1

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MI
  • Camper Brand:Palomino SL1000
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 Chev 2500HD

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:53 PM

New to the forum, but this one jumped out at me.  We have a Palomino SL1000.  I agree with the other posters in that it's not the hardiest of TC's....  but by the same token, after looking at the Lantz, Northstar, etc....  this was definitely the best bang for the buck.  They ALL use the same hardware; ie, Dometic, Norcold, DuoTherm, Magic Chef, ShurFlo, etc. and they all use the same pvc, drains, faucets, tanks, valves, handles, latches, etc.  Differences weren't even fit and finish.  Cheap paneling, cheap doors, that kind of stuff is what separated them, along with the 2X price differences.  But the kind of stuff that's "cheap" is easily remedied if you're a bit handy.  We've covered 35 states, countless miles, and have had no issues except a water pump that went out to lunch.  Slide works great every time and it's a breeze to haul.  If you're doing a lot of off road, back road, rough/unpaved road type trips, then it's probably not the rig, but for vacationing for the 2 of us....  awesome...  just my 2 cents worth....

#26 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

Welcome to the forum, guys! Deadeye, how do you empty that grey water tank? One of the reasons I haven't done anything about that issue is it's so easy to just walk the pail over to the washroom and dump it. But then you have to store the pail when traveling.

Our old Bronco used the internal bars for lifting the top, as does the Starcraft we have now. That seems like a good system, so I guess they changed it to save money. Is it the same hardware they use on popup trailers? Seems to me I read of someone else having the same problem a whille back. Did you have anything heavy on the roof?

#27 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:50 AM

I've been looking for info on the cable style lift system, and have come up with almost nothing.  I find a few bits on pull type pop up campers with lifts that are similar in design, but nothing for the setup on my Bronco.

#28 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:21 AM

I have other bad habits besides traveling with an RV, and spend some time on a ADV Rider web board.  It's a colossal  world wide Adventure Motorcycle site. There's usually a "mega thread" for each popular model of motorcycle where owners share their experiences to help the collective with theirs.

The title is right on this one so here goes.

I have yet to find a diagram for the lift system, but found out the manufacturer of the lift on my 04 is out of business.  The design was purchased by another company ...... L&K I think. It was a couple of days ago when I called Palomino.  Any way a replacement gear box (not the posts) is $400 + shipping purchased directly from Palomino.

No information post is any good without a photo, and since I've never seen one of the supports taken apart, I made the little drawing of what it must look like inside.

Does anyone out there have photos of one of them taken apart?

1d1dd935-b89a-4dcb-954a-3ecdb6b2587d_zps

Edited by KansasBob, 08 June 2013 - 05:06 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   ATPringles

ATPringles

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 391 posts
  • Local time: 11:11 PM
  • State/Province or Region:WY
  • Interests:Backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, taking trips, sewing, reading, symphony music
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Dakota
  • Name (Public):Beth

Posted 08 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

Wow, I'm glad to (finally) hear some good things about Palominos. I just got back from a 6 week trip with my B-600. I spent a few days with friends, and even in motels, which I had reserved when I planned on using my tent rather than the camper. So It works out that I spent 5 weeks in the camper. I'm glad I switched to taking the camper. In short, I loved it.

I had one problem after about 3 weeks. For a few days, the rear back wouldn't come down the last two or three or four inches without a little tug, and then, a tug didn't do it either. I latched the three latches that I could and slowly went to the ranger station to find a nearby RV repair place. One of the rangers managed to get the reluctant corner down. I had put WD-40 on it before, by the way. Before you laugh, realize I'm NOT handy. My tool box has some screw drivers (the plus (phillips) and the minus (slot) kind ), WD-40, and Duct Tape. I also have some of the fuze things, but other than knowing the different colors have some kind of a different rating, I have no idea what they do. I have a selection of pretty fuzes. Anyway, the place I had been sent couldn't help me. Or wouldnt help. They sent me to the place across the parking lot. When I got to the second place, he didn't want to work on it, but I asked if he'd be willing to just take a look. He said ok, and half an hour later, after spraying some non WD-40 on the lifter thing, and losening the bolt at the top of the bracket just a bit, it worked fine. And it has continued to work fine. The spray was like a liquid grease then slides down into hard to reach places, then sort of solidifies into a grease. Oh, the bolt... He explained that it had been cranked down really tightly, and he felt it needed to be able to "float" just a bit-so he tightened it to where it was more than finger tight, but not super tight. That made sense to me because I used to be a band director, and every once in a while a student would come in with a flute or clarinet that his/her father had looked over and found lots of loose screws, so he titghened them and then the instrument wouldn't work. It made sense to me that the bolt should be able to do a little self correcting, but not be so loose that the bracket would fall off, or even come close to falling off.

Anyway, at the beginning and the end of the trip, I really enjoyed the furnace. The stove is perfectly adequate for MY cooking (coffee, grilled cheese sandwiches, canned soup, etc.). The bed is MUCH better than even my thickest backpacking mattress. And I adored not being on the ground where all those snakes were (big ones, little ones, fast ones, slow ones, all of 'em). I could drive it in traffic. I even got comfortable backing in to park, although I picked places where there wasn't a lot of traffic, so I could do do-overs.

Build quality... I'm in the Ford camp rather than the Cadillac group. I'd LIKE to be in the Cadillac group, but... . The door on my camper works ok. The furnace cover used to jiggle loose when I drove on bumpy roads, but my nephew-in-law tightened ithe screws and now it doesn't jiggle loose anymore. I don't take the table, so I don't know how well it works. Instead, I store a bunch of things in a plastic tub, and when I want to have a table for writing or eating, I just put the plastic tub on the seat beside me and use it as a table top. I store ithe camper outside in the summer, but it gets put inside in October or November, and comes out in late April.

In all, it has all the wonderful attributes I had hoped for when I decided I wanted a camper. It doesn't have marble counter tops, or a stainless steel stove, but neither does my house. I have a friend that I know will buy it if I decide I can't deal with issues it throws at me. While I'd take a financial hit, I wouldn't have to worry about it, either. I think I'd buy it again. Frankly, the negative comments about Palominos that I've heard on this forum have had me scared, but I really liked what the camper let me do. I look forward to using it more in the future.

Pringles

#30 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

It's funny to me............................... All campers, cars, motorcycles, and every other object we desire to possess, are all just buckets of nuts, bolts, screws, dimensional lumber, sheet metal, steel, and what ever. You take possession of one of these buckets, and start making it better.......... at least I do.  

The Palomino is not that different than other RV's I've owned, and (to me) buying a low end RV is almost like buying an RV KIT!  All the parts are there, and it's mostly assembled!   :)  All you need to do is finish it!

We (Diana, and I) are officially truck campers now.  We logged 375 road miles, and spent a few days in 9 Eagles State Park Iowa. In 10 days we leave for Mueller state park in Colorado. :happy0064:

I've spent the last 40 years in construction as an electrician, have already made "mods" to my Bronco that every owner of one should consider doing.  I'll post pics on this thread as time allows.......... Need to get ready for the Mountains!     

Edited by KansasBob, 10 June 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#31 OFFLINE   ATPringles

ATPringles

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, rafting, taking trips, sewing, reading, symphony music

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:18 PM

Hey KansasBob, we used to camp at Nine Eagles when I was a kid! I hadn't thought about that place for years. We stayed in a big blue canvas tent, where if you touched the walls when it rained, the water came in. We had some kind of old fashioned air mattresses that had a valve that I never figured out how to work. I should mention that I was five, so hopefully I'd be better with that valve today. I caught a five pound bass there, also, when I was five. I handed the pole to my dad, telling him I had a branch. He worked the line for a few seconds and handed it back telling me it wa a fish. When I (we) finally landed it, and we went to "measure" it, it was as long as my arms were when they were stretched out. For the next few years I proudly proclaimed that I caught a fish "this" big, stretching my arms to their fullest. When you're a kid, you can pull that off for a while. :-) We also went to Lake of Three Fires a few times. Have you ever been there? It was farther from home, so we only got there a couple of times. On my most recent trip I watched a couple of dads taking their sons fishing. It took them soooooo much patience. One kid can keep one parent and two fishing poles busy. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Pringles

#32 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

KansasBob, I, too, will be looking forward to seeing your electricalmods. We let our B-500 Bronco go last fall, but the Starcraft Roadstar we replaced it with is similar, but larger. I'm sure the mods are relevant to it, as well.

The Starcraft has the same split door setup as the Bronco, only the interference on ours was worse than the Bronco, all the time. Realizing that the seal between the two sections didn't make contact, my solution was to remove the door from the piano hinge, move it up 3/16", and drill new, offset, holes for the screws. So far, it is working fine. We are taking it out for some exercise week after next, and if no problems arise, I will finish putting all the screws in place and sealing them up. I mounted it with 6 just to try it without committing to the whole series. Had to move a cabinet door up, as well, as it rubbed on the floor. Just careless assembly, probably built on a Monday!

Pringles, glad you were pleased with your trip. Thought you had been prettyquiet for a spell!

#33 OFFLINE   wetravel

wetravel

Poster

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 02:11 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Pa
  • Truck Make & Model:99 f250 sd 7.3
  • Name (Public):joe

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:13 PM

I just want to say I started this post and everyone has done a great job in answering many of my questions.I have always wanted a northstar 850,but try to find one on the east coast and the price is much higher than I'm willing to pay.I have looked at the palomino many times and hesitated in buying one because what I heard on this forum scared me away from them,I am 65 and not getting any younger and as several people have said it not the unit it's the point of getting out there and seeing the world before you are unable to.Thanks again truckcampers

#34 OFFLINE   broncocamper

broncocamper

Poster

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:26 AM

KansasBob,

Can't wait to hear about your mods.  My next project is not on the camper, but my truck.  I need to research putting a receiver on the front of my 2011 Silverado so I can use a bike rack or cargo carrier on the front while towing a boat.

Broncocamper

#35 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:47 AM

I just want to say I started this post and everyone has done a great job in answering many of my questions.I have always wanted a northstar 850,but try to find one on the east coast and the price is much higher than I'm willing to pay.I have looked at the palomino many times and hesitated in buying one because what I heard on this forum scared me away from them,I am 65 and not getting any younger and as several people have said it not the unit it's the point of getting out there and seeing the world before you are unable to.Thanks again truckcampers

Joe......... Thank You for starting the topic, and hopefully you received some info that was valuable to you before it was totally Hi-Jacked!  :lol:

They say when buying a home it's location location location, but when buying an RV it's condition condition condition.  Two identical units side by side could easily have a value that is different by 50% or more. 

If you haven't used it before, here is the link to a search engine that is very useful for finding "for sale by owner" on craigslist  ................ and dealers for that matter.  Best of luck to you on your quest! :D   

KBob

http://www.searchtempest.com/

#36 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:10 AM

OK, Here goes.

I'll start with a couple of general things.

The factory front bed bumpers were weathered soft white molded ............ stuff......... and were in the wrong location for my bed.  I was trying to figure out what to use to replace them, when I saw the rear suspension bump stops I took off my truck the day I installed my overload bumpers, setting on the bench.  Absolutely the exact right part for the job!  If you wanted to do this mod to your Palomino, a quick trip to the truck salvage yard should net you a pair for low bucks. 

IMG_3262_zpse9006911.jpg

Next is my off the truck support system.  I wanted to store my flat bed trailer under the TC to give me more space in my building, and came up with this.

trailersupport1_zps86852f65.jpg

I used a 8' 2x8 on the diagonal and cut a 10' 2x8 in half to complete the "X" shape.  I wanted to be able to store it easily when not in use, so I attached the two 5' pieces with some door hinges that I had laying around.  It will fold up and stand in the corner out of the way when not in use.  I was pretty happy with it for $15 investment.

trailersupport3_zps4fe647b8.jpg

trailersupport2_zps56330044.jpg

Edited by KansasBob, 10 June 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#37 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

Nice solution on the trailer. I got lucky on mine, as the trailer came with the camper. The guy who owned it must have hadthe same 7' garage door as me. He took the springs off and mounted the axle directly to the frame. If I measured it right, the camper should clear the doorframe by about 2". Haven't tried it yet, but even if it's a little tight, I can deflate the tires a skosh and get an extra inch or two of clearance.

Wetravel, you got the right message. We've only got a few more years before it will be more trouble to travel than it is worth. We've got to do it now! Never mind what the camper is, if it works for you, do it!

#38 OFFLINE   ATPringles

ATPringles

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:18 PM

KansasBob, What are the bumpers supposed to bump against? Mine are below the front rim of the bed--the part a topper would sit on. Are they supposed to bump against those? Mine don't touch anything. Are they supposed to?

I like the "kit" idea. Usually kits come with directions, though. This sounds more like a paint by numbers without any numbers.

#39 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

KansasBob, What are the bumpers supposed to bump against? Mine are below the front rim of the bed--the part a topper would sit on. Are they supposed to bump against those? Mine don't touch anything. Are they supposed to?

I like the "kit" idea. Usually kits come with directions, though. This sounds more like a paint by numbers without any numbers.

Well. they should touch the back of your bed............ so the lift mechanism doesn't rub.  The bed on my Ford is offset back inward below the top rim, so I raised them up to be in contact with the back of the bed just below the top rim.   Here is a pic of my bed with the platform I had to build because the bed is too deep for the Bronco. You can just see the white smug on the drivers side, where the original bumpers contacted the back of the bed.

IMG_3257_zps05a79aea.jpg

Wide shot of the front of the camper. 

IMG_3260_zpsceef51d3.jpg

Edited by KansasBob, 11 June 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   broncocamper

broncocamper

Poster

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 02:23 AM

KansasBob

I also raise the camper to clear the box sides.  I put three 2x6's lengthwise.  I've been thinking about making something like you have.  I was thinking if I raised it a little more I could include a storage area with door for things used on the campfire like tripod, grilling baskets, pudgy pie makers, and long handled forks.  Anyting that gets dirty from the fire that I wouldn't have to carry inside.

Broncocamper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In