Poster

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Pa
  • Truck Make & Model:99 f250 sd 7.3
  • Name (Public):joe

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

I would like to hear from palomino truck camper owners,are you satisfied with what you get for the price and would you do it again.I would like to buy a Northstar and have tried with out success,based on selling price.

#2 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 740 posts
  • Local time: 06:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

I am also anxious to hear replies. I have been looking at the B1500 pop up model and have heard that people have problems opening the door. It sticks. As a matter of fact last week we stopped at a dealer in Indiana, looked at one and they had the same problem. The door was hard to open and they never could get the door to close. For the money it seems ok, but I just do not like the door problem.

Also the none of the pop up models have a grey waste water tank. Why ? Who knows.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#3 OFFLINE   wetravel

wetravel

Poster

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

In case your interested I also looked at the 1500 but in the name Real Lite 1610 it's the same camper and has a single door and solid across across the top, rather nice on the inside except for my butt it won't fit in the kids toilet 

#4 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 740 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

In case your interested I also looked at the 1500 but in the name Real Lite 1610 it's the same camper and has a single door and solid across across the top, rather nice on the inside except for my butt it won't fit in the kids toilet 

Interesting - i will check it out. I knew the Real Lite and Palomino were twins. but have never looked at them.

We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#5 OFFLINE   wetravel

wetravel

Poster

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

In case your interested the dealer is called Kelly's Mobile in Milton Pa or Kelly's rv in Milton Pa he has a 2011 brand new about $9500.The camper is beautiful but the design of the toilet area is just too small.I am now looking for a 850sc Northstar just like that one but much better Quality on sale every now and then for around $16,500

#6 OFFLINE   RoyB

RoyB

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • State/Province or Region:MA
  • Camper Brand:Palomino
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 2500 Diesel
  • Name (Public):RoyB

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:15 AM

I recently bought a used Palomino Bronco 1200. Paid $1500 for it. Not sure I'd pay much more. The build quality is real poor, but then again just about every RV I look at horrifies me with the poor quality of construction, fit and finish and QC.

Amazing how poorly thought out the plumbing and electrical systems are. With just a little bit of effort, they could have designed these systems to take up MUCH less space. Fully 1/3 of the usable cabinet space is occupieed by electrical and plumbing.

I'm a recent returner to the truck camping world. Last one I owned was 1975 vintage. I had thought thinks would have improved greatly since then.....Nope!

I'm amazed that folks are paying what they are paying for these campers and not forcing the industry to step it up a whole bunch..........

You can check out some of the modification I did here:

www.rvbprecision.com

Edited by RoyB, 27 May 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 849 posts
  • Local time: 05:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Iowa
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Need a place to camp the Night? All Welcome.
  • Camper Brand:1994 Lance 990 11' 3"
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 F-350 CC, 4x4, LB, SRW, Diesel
  • Name (Public):Doug

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:23 PM

In my opinion and its just that an opinion, but if your looking at a new camper and your dealer can't open or close the door, that to me sets off warning signals.  If your seeing things that don't line up with no miles on it what will it look like with a few years on it.

Don't get caught buying cheaply and end up paying double for it in the long run .  I've tried to get by inexpensively and I usually end up paying more to fix the problems.  So I've learned to just spend a few extra bucks to start with and things usually end up working out better for me

NorthStar  makes  a good product, and they send a lot of their popups to Australia all the time, and over there they are used on the rough back roads a lot.   I believe they are put together better to handle the stress of off-roading.

I looked at both myself about 2 years ago, and Northstar was a better camper in my opinion.  More quality parts and put together better.

Good Luck.

:usa:

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

Click Link: http://www.midwesttr...s.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240
Wagon Master - For MWTC'S

#8 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Kansas
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-150

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

My first post, so I'll say Hello! up front. 

I just spent the last 6 weeks rebuilding a 2004 Palomino Bronco 1250 I purchased knowing it had water damage. It was basically a new camper that had set for 8 years  with a tarp over it, and used only one time. The inside is like new, and all the appliances are in the same condition.  I've been all over the camper, inside and out, and like other RVs I've owned, it's pretty much slapped together. That said, I paid less for this camper than I have for any other RV I've ever owned including a base model Palomino pull type pop up.

I've owned a couple Class Cs, a couple full size bumper pull TTs, the base model pop up, and a single axle Hybrid over the years. Most all of them had design and build issues I had to repair,or upgrade. The Bronco is defiantly an economical build, but not That much worse than examples I've owned from Keystone, and R Vision.  If you have the time and ability to go around the camper "beef" things up a little, and keep it sealed up tight, I see no reason why a person couldn't get good service out of one. If you buy new, you will take a hit when you sell, but that's holds true with just about all RVs. Buying a used Bronco is tricky, and you'll need to really vet the camper and owner before laying your money down.  

One thing I would say about owning a Pop Up style TC may get me in trouble, but I would not own ANY brand if I had to store it out in the weather... especially the Bronco.  I have always stored all of my RVs out of the weather, and it paid me dividends at resale. I just got finished reading a post by the owner of a newer "top of the line" adventure pop up TC who had purchased it used with un seen water damage from being stored out in the weather. I could have purchased my Bronco 4 TIMES for what he has in his camper, and his fared no better after being stored out in the weather.     

Edited by KansasBob, 30 May 2013 - 08:20 AM.

KansasBob is approved by celebrity TV doctors.

af2ebc3b-c999-47b2-9cdb-b3413554c705_zps

#9 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 31 May 2013 - 07:49 AM

It seems to me your comments are spot-on. A Palomino certainly isn't the top of the heap, asTC's go, but you should already know that when you put your money down. While it isn't the best, it still gets you out there, enjoying the outdoors just as much as the guy with the price of a diesel pusher in his rig. It's a compromise, but what in this life isn't?

Your comments on the weather are accurate, too. Whatever you have for equipment, you will be replacing it much sooner if you don't keep it in out of the weather. It is amazing to see how some people neglect their equipment, even though they may not have the means to replace it when it falls apart!

#10 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts
  • Local time: 03:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2003 Bigfoot 30C10.11SL
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck
  • Name (Public):Rick and Susanne

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:32 AM

Welcome to the forum Kansasbob
With the weather beating down on anything 24/7 you have to be vigilant in protecting what you have.
I'm one of the lucky ones, being able to store my rig inside, we try to use it at least 40 days a year, which leaves it 312 days stored inside.
We do have mild weather here, but it seems it rains half the time here, not much sun fade, but lots of moisture.
Which reminds me, I better climb up top to check the caulking before our next outing.
Rick

#11 OFFLINE   ARSMITH

ARSMITH

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Alabama
  • Interests:Motorsports & Classic Cars.
  • Camper Brand:PALOMINO BRONCO 1500
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Chevrolet 3500 Duramax
  • Name (Public):ANDY SMITH

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:24 PM

If you're a perfectionist steer clear of Palomino Campers!

Dollar for Dollar ours has served us well.

JMO!

Andy :)

Edited by ARSMITH, 01 June 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Hey KansasBob,     Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!  :sign0016: 

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240

#13 OFFLINE   KansasBob

KansasBob

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Kansas
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-150

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the Welcomes!  

My family went to the "Boat Show" In Kansas City every single year when I was a young boy, and I remember the show where they purchased their "Sho-Me" suitcase pop up camper like it was yesterday. I can still hear my Dad bragging about the virtues of his camper to anyone who would listen........ Good Times! 

I purchased my first RV (Coachman Class C) in 1997, and have been experimenting with different platforms ever since. I love that my TC was economical to purchase, and that my state requires no title, tag, sales tax, or property tax for one........... unlike All of my other units. It's a minimalist form of camping that works well for me, but is so cost effective I can let it set if I have other irons in the fire and not feel guilty for doing so.

Back on topic............ Something I forgot to mention about the Palomino was my experience with the door sticking thing. When the TC isn't on the truck, like at a dealer, and sits on its jacks for a period of time without the support of the truck bed it causes the door frame to narrow at the top. Mine, at least, has the hard flip up rear section of the soft walls that gives it some added structural integrity, but I don't think the new ones have that. Once the camper is on the truck, the problem goes away, and I store mine supported in the middle with no sticking door problems.    

Edited by KansasBob, 01 June 2013 - 03:49 PM.

KansasBob is approved by celebrity TV doctors.

af2ebc3b-c999-47b2-9cdb-b3413554c705_zps

#14 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

Awww,   That makes sense.  Didn't know that.  I learned something.  Thanks

logo-idea.jpg?w=240

#15 OFFLINE   Stanbiker

Stanbiker

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AK
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado
  • Name (Public):Stan

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

The bronco is not supposed to be unsupported. I think the quality has been covered already, but my biggest disappointment was with the door. It takes a bit of effort to get everything squared up at a camp site to allow the 2 piece door to work. I ended up adding a longer lock on the inside to keep the 2 pieces together when the door was opening. We used ours every weekend in the summer for 5 years and it held up ok. (other than the door...)

For the gray water, I saw a post after I sold mine where the owner mounted a pvc pipe under the overhand with a hose running to it and a drain at the other end.

#16 OFFLINE   broncocamper

broncocamper

Poster

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WI
  • Camper Brand:Palomino Bronco
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:42 PM

First time poster,

We were tent campers and wanted something light and low cost to get our feet wet rv traveling.  We call our B1200 our poor mans motorhome. We found a new 2010 on the lot last year and the dealer wanted to clear out his truck campers and let us have it for $6000.00.  Like everyone says their not much for quality, but for us to move up from a tent it works well. The dealer told us the main thing is to keep it sealed with caulk and don't tighten the tie-downs too tight and it will be trouble free for a long time.  He said to just tighten the tie-downs just so their taut, If you over tighten the door won't work properly.  So far so good.  A lot of people complain about taking them down and putting them up and that the door won't open when the top is down.  If I wasn't tall enough that would be an issue!  For me It takes about 2 minutes to put it up and about 5 minutes to take down.  I can walk around and tuck the canvas in, but if I had to use a stool or ladder it would be a big drawback.  Just some of my thoughts.

#17 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2003 Bigfoot 30C10.11SL
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck
  • Name (Public):Rick and Susanne

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

Welcome to the forum bronco camper
Thanks for sharing
Rick

#18 OFFLINE   Oliver

Oliver

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 487 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NY
  • Camper Brand:'92 Sunline 951, reblt in 2009, '11 Edge M21 TT
  • Truck Make & Model:'04 Silverado 2500HD 8.1L, 5-spd. Allison, 4.11 rearend 4X4 Longbed

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:57 AM

Yes, welcome to the forum, guys! Wasn't thinking earlier. I got distracted by relatively positive comments on the infamous Palominos. Several good thoughts surfacing.

I recall seeing the pvc pipe thing sometime in the past, but I had forgotten it. It seems like it would have to be a 6-inch pipe to make it worth the effort. The pail doesn't bother me enough to warant the change, I guess

The split door is painful. It weakens the overall structure, seems to always be some degree of problem, and for what? So I don't have toduck a few inches? I would rather have structural integrity! Most times I could adjust the tiedowns to get rid of the interference when opening and closing. We stopped using the top of ours when we added an awning to the back. If you used the top part of the door, the awning had to be almost horizontal to clear it. Even without the awning, the two parts of the door declined to stay connected, so you were always messing with that. The extended latch should come with it!

With the design issues and the quality issues, it is easy tolose sight of the fact that they do get the job done, and they do it for a modest amount of money. Even though we sold ours after a couple seasons, wegot a lot of enjoyment out of it while we owned it. For that they deserve some recognition.

Happy camping!

#19 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

:sign0016:    Broncocamper !!!

Hey its a great tent on wheels.  Good place to start and that's the main thing.  Get out and explore, enjoy, and just go T/C'en.  Glad you posted here on the forum.   This is a great place a lot of people here with many years of knowledge and experiences if you have questions, and its a great place to make new friends.

I see your from Wisconsin.  Where abouts.  I lived in upper  Wisconsin for about 5 years.  Up dher in the north wood don't ya know.  Near Rib Lake.  North of Medford, north north west of Wausa, Wisconsin.  You from anywhere near there?

logo-idea.jpg?w=240

#20 OFFLINE   broncocamper

broncocamper

Poster

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WI
  • Camper Brand:Palomino Bronco
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevrolet Silverado

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:53 AM

Thanks all for the welcome, growing up my parents started with a tent then to a truck camper, 5th wheel, and mutiple different class A motorhomes.  To me the truck camper was most versatile and easy to maintain, but my Dad's favorite was the 5th wheel.  I try to be somewhat of a minimalist, but it doesn't always workout.  I would have stayed with the tent, but my wife said she would feel more secure traveling if she had hard sides at least most of the way up with a locking door.

To Countrycampers3 - I grew up in Tomahawk, wi, but now live in the Green Bay area.

Go Packers!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In