• 2411 posts
  • Local time: 12:42 AM
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:21 PM

Hi Bob,

Just wondering..what's your opinion on the windows that NL (and Northstar?) uses in their units?

Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   Snowriver1

Snowriver1

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Local time: 06:42 PM
  • Interests:Building campers, flyfishing, beer drinking, chasin women,
  • Camper Brand:Snowrivers, lots of em
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 350 diesel shortbox
  • Name (Public):Bob Mehrer

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:37 PM

Dear Snowybird,
The windows you are refering to were made by the Seitz company in Germany. They have been around for about 10 - 12 years. They are made of an acrylic plastic, they are double pane and lighter than conventional windows. The Dometic corporation has taken over distribution in North America. I have used a set in a class B motorhome we prototyped. They are not cheap, but they come with a blind so this must be subtracted from the cost of the normal aluminum windows. The first 23' fifthwheels I built used a very similar Lexan window to save weight, they did scratch easily, and at that time there was no way to fix them. As Rex stated ealier, shipping is my biggest concern. A lot of things can happen to a container, and untill we can standardize a size and have a good stock in North America I can't see us using too many. They are a specialty item, and if you are willing to wait and then open your wallet I,m sure most companies would custom build one for you. I think they are a good window, I like the weight issue, but the logistics have me a little apprehensive at this time. Hope this helps.

Bob
Snowriver1

#3 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • Local time: 12:42 AM
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the info Bob,

It's good to hear from someone who's in the know. Shipping and Lexan could pose problems. All of our shipping cans at work are made of Lexan (the visible sides) anyways and they really do get scuffed up.

If people only knew what kind of abuse their freight went through, they would package them accordingly.

Somehow, I have this knack for picking out the most expensive stuff without even seeing the price tag.

I am just trying to get all of my wants and needs straightened out before we buy another Snowbird in a couple of years.

:D :D

Thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12484 posts
  • Local time: 11:42 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 21 February 2005 - 08:47 AM

Maybe you could work out a deal with Rex, Bob. Looks like your campers aim at 2 different markets, ie he produces pop-ups & light weight non-slide campers whereas all yours are 3/4 ton & up hard sided slide models, so you are not really competitors. Maybe he would like to use those stairs of yours.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In