• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Local time: 03:40 AM
  • State/Province or Region:az
  • Camper Brand:2001 arctic fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 chevy cc dually flatbed 4wd duramax
  • Name (Public):Gregg

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:23 PM

I am trying this again, as the first pics looked small. I am new at re-sizing pictures. Bare with me.

photo (1).JPG

photo (2).JPG

#42 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:39 PM

This is my last try. His rig just looks to good for me not to try and post the right pics.

photo (1).JPG

photo (2).JPG

#43 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Farmer, you say you have a rack for a street bike. Does this go in the back or front of truck? The pics I received were great pics, but they will not post in with details for me. That is a great looking truck, with all the problems of the weight carrying issues that I have being solved.

#44 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1758 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2003 Bigfoot 30C10.11SL
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck
  • Name (Public):Rick and Susanne

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:06 PM

Hi Greg
The motorcycle rack goes in the back, it probably weighs at least 200 lbs.
And the latest bike weighs about 430 lbs, I may have pictures somewhere.
Rick

#45 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

I saw the 2 receivers that the rack must go into. If you ever find those pics, I would like to see. Do you know what the gvw rating is for your f-550?

#46 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 855 posts
  • Local time: 04:40 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Iowa
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Need a place to camp the Night? All Welcome.
  • Camper Brand:1994 Lance 990 11' 3"
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 F-350 CC, 4x4, LB, SRW, Diesel
  • Name (Public):Doug

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:11 AM

Nice Rig Farmer, 

Are you bringing your t/c to the Montana rally???  I thought maybe you were coming by car can't remember.

:usa:

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

Click Link: http://www.midwesttr...s.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240
Wagon Masters - For MWTCF

#47 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1758 posts
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

The dual receivers are for the bike rack and there is also a couple rings on the top rear of the deck to hold 2" ratchet straps, kind of like a 4 point mount.

The dual side receivers also anchor a set of catagory 2 toplinks, used for turn buckles ,I'll sent pictures to you to post.

This weekend I will take pictures of the rack, if I can't find any on my hard drive.

As for Montana, we are planning to tow the Jeep

My GVW is 18,000 lb.s , I'm about 1,500 lb.s under my gross, but I'm too light on the front end because of the crew cab.
Rick

#48 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 855 posts
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hey Rick,

Great minds think alike.  I just now looked at your picture blown up, and see we have the same step idea.  Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Later,

Doug B)

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240

#49 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:47 PM

Learn something new all the time. I never new that I could left click on the pics and they would blow up larger. Thanks country camper. 

Farmer, when you say that you are light in the front end because of crew cab, I understand that with a crew cab about 100 % of the weight goes on the rear axle, is it because of the motorcycle that is carried on the rear, or is it like that without the bike? If you were to set another rig, would it be a extended cab or regular cab? I like learning so the next time I get it right. 

#50 OFFLINE   Bedlam

Bedlam

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1429 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Things with wheels
  • Camper Brand:2018 Host Mammoth 11.5
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 Ram 5500 HD
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:53 PM

If you could lop off more of the rear overhang and have a slightly longer wheelbase, it would help shift more weight to the front.

2012 Interstate Car Carrier ICC10220TA3, 20'x8.5', 8" I-beam frame, dual 5200 lb 4" drop torsion axles, Diamond plate, Towmax 225/75R15 LRE tires on galvanized rims, Harbor Freight 10k lb equalizing hitch, Camping World vent cover, LED lighting, 3' RV door, front and rear door interior light switches, interior plywood walls and floor, 70' of Harbor Freight E-track rail with recessed corner 5k lb D-rings, Dual 42 gal fresh water tanks with Harbor Freight transfer pump, portable dual Harbor Freight 45w solar arrays, 100 lbs LPG in four bottles, PowerArmor Max Solar 5-battery box, Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2015 Ram 5500 HD 4wd Tradesman 60" CA, Crew cab with 173.4" wheelbase, 19,000 lb GVWR with 26,000 lb GCWR, Cummins I6 6.7 liter diesel with chassis cab tune 325 hp @ 2800 rpm and 750 ft-lb @ 1700 rpm, Aisin AS69RC 6-speed automatic, Borg Warner 44-47 manual transfer case, 14.5k lb Dana S14-111L limited slip and 7250 lb Magna Steyr 275mm with 4.44 ratios, Palfinger Badger low sill flat bed, Dual DeeZee 36x18x18 under bed boxes, Quad DeeZee 48x18x18 above bed boxes, Curt Double Lock 30K lb gooseneck, Dual 3/4" horse stall mats, SuperHitch Magnum 30K dual receiver with 42" SuperTruss, Upper StableLoads, Short range FastGun turnbuckles, 10 Deka 24HR3000 sealed batteries

2018 Host Mammoth 11.5, Polarized dual pane windows, Powered and lit awning, 6-stair Revolution GlowSteps, Swing out Rieco-Titan jacks, Fantastic Fan in cab over, Aero-Flo vent covers, 3x160w Zamp Solar with 30A controller, External 24" TV with DVD, Cargo slide tray, dual 6-volt batteries, 2.5KW LPG Onan, External LPG connection, 2-way water heater, Therford 3-burner cook top, Convection/Microwave, 8 cu ft 2-way Norcold Fridge, Loveseat with foot rest, U-shaped dinette, 1000W PSW Zamp inverter, King Jack amplified OTA antenna, 40" Samsung UN40J5200 smart TV in living room, Electric heater fireplace, Accordion bedroom door, Full wall passenger-side cab over wardrobe, 32" Samsung UN32J5205 smart TV in Bedroom

#51 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1758 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Learn something new all the time. I never new that I could left click on the pics and they would blow up larger. Thanks country camper. 
  Farmer, when you say that you are light in the front end because of crew cab, I understand that with a crew cab about 100 % of the weight goes on the rear axle, is it because of the motorcycle that is carried on the rear, or is it like that without the bike? If you were to set another rig, would it be a extended cab or regular cab? I like learning so the next time I get it right. 

I have about 4500 on front end
12,000 on rear end
This truck has a 176" wheel base, compared to the same year F-350 with a 172" wheelbase
If the wheel base was 12" longer it would help in my case.
In the same year as mine there was a choice of a 200" wheel base
As it stands the F-550 turns sharper then the F-350, because of the wider stance of the front wheels, you can easily uturn in 4 lanes.

Another advantage of a flat deck, in my case, is the camper is flat on the bottom and 12' long, the deck is 10' long, which supports the bottom of the camper an extra 2' over a standard 8' box, the overhang contains my verticle sewer drain, which clears the deck.
My deck is exactly 8' wide, which just covers he duallies, I wonder how wide a standard box dually is.
The camper is 8'-6" wide.
The other advantage or maybe it's just me, is that with so much storage, most things can be put away before we retire for the night and we could leave in under ten minutes or less.

There was another prospective camper owner, which we met in 2007 in Ogallala, NE, who was looking at something similar to mine, we spent a couple hours talking and later he ordered a Bigfoot camper and a F-550 with the 200" wheelbase, he was going to use this for his job which moves every 3 months. And trailer a motorcycle, he may have had a rack made, I forgot.

Or an extended cab would be a good compromise.
That extra cab space is kinda hard to give up, we use ours for a couple folding bikes in their own wooden box and the top is storage for the camp chairs and spare coats, giant umbrella and kites.

I have seen a couple of cab over flat decks, they look balanced, one I saw had the overall length of the unit equal to the length of the slide in camper, around 18'.
To work on the cab over engines you may have to tilt cab, I forgot to ask if there was enough camper to cab clearance.

#52 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

Your welcome gsair on making the pictures larger.  I helped and didn't even know it.  now you can go back and enlarge all those pics.

Rick, 

I've wondered but never asked someone with that extra wide front end package, do you happen to know how much sharper you can turn than like a F350.  I looked my 2008 model up and see its 172"  and as far as I can tell from the website I've found a lot of my info on that Ford didn't offer a longer wheelbase much after the years they did on yours.  I wonder why??  yours I guess was about a 2006 model.  I agree on being all packed the night before because of storage.  Easy to get going in the morning.  Especially if its raining.

http://www.ford-truc...per-duty-1.html

logo-idea.jpg?w=240

#53 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:20 PM

gsair,

I can't remember if I asked are you going to the Montana Rally In July?

Later,

Doug B)

logo-idea.jpg?w=240

#54 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1758 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Your welcome gsair on making the pictures larger.  I helped and didn't even know it.  now you can go back and enlarge all those pics.

Rick, 
I've wondered but never asked someone with that extra wide front end package, do you happen to know how much sharper you can turn than like a F350.  I looked my 2008 model up and see its 172"  and as far as I can tell from the website I've found a lot of my info on that Ford didn't offer a longer wheelbase much after the years they did on yours.  I wonder why??  yours I guess was about a 2006 model.  I agree on being all packed the night before because of storage.  Easy to get going in the morning.  Especially if its raining.

http://www.ford-truc...per-duty-1.html

It's a 2005 , turns I think 5' shorter , the front wheels stick out 9" wider and with no leaf springs the wheels can turn closer to the frame.
For some reason the chassis cab is 176" or 200" for that year.
And I usually pack the propane fire can next morning after I cools, I leave it under the camper in case it rains overnight.
I learned my lesson not retracting awnings after use at night, the wind came up, both awnings dropped, was very lucky no damage.
Cost a buddy of mine $1000 to fix his.

#55 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the awning tip.  5' that's a lot.

logo-idea.jpg?w=240

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In