• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Local time: 08:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:az
  • Camper Brand:2001 arctic fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 chevy cc dually flatbed 4wd duramax
  • Name (Public):Gregg

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

I tried to post under member gallery, but there was not an option for me to do that. I hope I have the pics attached to this. This was built specifically for my lance camper,at that time, with universal in mind, the bed is the same height as the original bed.  I do like it alot. I have never needed more room for storage.2006 flatbed 091.jpg 2013-03-19_10-55-36_729.jpg 2013-03-19_10-55-51_598.jpg 2013-03-19_11-10-35_936.jpg flatbed 007.jpg 2013-03-16_10-56-04_320.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1579 posts
  • Local time: 10:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Did you happen to get a weight on the new bed, as a comparison to what was removed with the OEM bed?   

I have always thought there were ways to build a flatbed as low as the OEMs and it looks like you solved that desire. 

That's a great looking rig.  I like the way your 'capture doors' contain things without the need for heavier 'boxes'.  Lots of things we carry can be in the weather and it looks like your design can keep them locked in place in a huge area. 

#3 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

I have forgotten the exact weight, but I bought the steel buy the pound, and at that time I figured it was about 700 more lbs that the bed I took off. The recessed area in the front,near the rear of the cab, was for the dually swing out brackets. All flatbeds that I have seen that are off the shelf, are a bit higher off the ground and I did not like the height between the top of the cab and bottom of bed area of camper. I was also able to use the existing b&w turn over ball for goose neck or 5th wheel. In some ways it does not look in proportion to the rest of the truck, but it is very user friendly. For the record, as not to overlook my friend that I helped, he was the welder for the most part, and I was the grunt with the idea. 

#4 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1921 posts
  • Local time: 09:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:30 PM

One cool bed allways thought bring it down that low you would have to have humps over the wheels quess not. how close do you get to the bed with wheel displacement from a leavel position to max deflexion up or down?

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

#5 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

From the stops on the frame to the rear end was 4 inches. I have a little more than 4 inches between bed and tire. More with air in bags. I had thought that if I was on a hillside or cocked somehow it might could rub. Now I do not believe it is possible to rub. It makes you wonder why there is so much room in there from the factory. I think it is for looks.   It can only squat 4 inches and the stops would have to hit. I now have air bags where the stops were. 

#6 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Here is a pic of the headache rack. Being as something needed to be there, it needed to serve a purpose. It is a 40 gallon fuel tank. It is the same width as the rear bumper, which is 6 inches. That allowed me to cover the rear bumper area and still have the same bed size. This put the center of gravity back 6 inches further. I thought this was going to be a problem when I saw the cog on the arctic fox. luckily it works out perfect as the instructions in the trucks owners manual show the location that it can be in. You can also fuel from either side, but with a truck camper this is to much extra weight. 

2006 flatbed 050.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 855 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Iowa
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Need a place to camp the Night? All Welcome.
  • Camper Brand:1994 Lance 990 11' 3"
  • Truck Make & Model:2011 F-350 CC, 4x4, LB, SRW, Diesel
  • Name (Public):Doug

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

I like it alot.  Nice Rig.  Of course I'm partial since I have a flatbed too.  Nice job hope to see it in person someday.  we can compare.  always fun to see what others have done.

Here's some photos of mine.  DSC02688_zps1dc03b29.jpg

DSC02694_zps63c0e858.jpg

The front jacks swing out to unload.  They are 12" swing outs the front of my bed corners were luckily designed just like gsair designed his

:usa:

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

Click Link: http://www.midwesttr...s.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240
Wagon Masters - For MWTCF

#8 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3727 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:15 AM

very nice indeed. the flatbed and utility bed users are a  growing group. as people see how they can be used it opens up some eyes. I don't think ill ever go back to a regular bed. from one picture it looks like you use eye bolts for tie down anchor spots. that's what I use also. my flatbed has a wood deck but the eye bolts are through the steel frame of the bed.

nice job on your set up.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#9 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

Yes, It does anchor through eye bolts, which are on the side of the bed, and reinforced behind the diamond plate. Since I got the arctic fox, the rear steps are up higher than the lance. I am thinking of adding steps similar to countrycampers set up, except using the receiver hitch to hold the steps which would then be removable, or maybe just carry a step stool, as weight does matter at this point.

T C life, if your flatbed is 12ft, how does your camper fit. Is it all the way up to the front, is the camper flat on the bottom with no step area, or does it set back off of the bed a little?

#10 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3727 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:32 AM

If you click the blue link at the end of my statement it will take you to my blog. I have a blog "getting camper on the truck" that shows a lot of what i did.

www.thetclife.com

#11 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

That is one nice setup. I have looked at  a few flatbed setups, in pictures only, as you dont see that many on the road, and I always liked mine better. I have to say that I like the idea of a rear porch area and I also like the spare tire rack. It looks really user friendly. I assume you have a portable generator, which I also like better than mine, as they are quieter. Would dually swing out brackets have worked on the rear as well as the front? If I ever get rid of this one, the next one will have a porch.

#12 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3727 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:33 PM

Yes on the genny...a yamaha. Goes in my steel side box. The spare works great up there as i have an auxiliary fuel tank where the spare was. Swing out brackets would have to be used on all four corners on mine. Thats why i did the c channel spacers. We love the setup. Its very user friendly.

www.thetclife.com

#13 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 855 posts
  • Interests:Truck Camper Rallies, & meeting new friends from all over, T/Cing, farming, being with my wife, and child. What Blessings they are.

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

I too like Rich's back porch.  IF????  I ever get to do another truck,  I'm seriously considering a 12' flatbed myself.  That's seems real nice that way Rich.  I'm looking forward to seeing it in person at Montana rally.

gsair,

What do you have on the license plate area it looks like a hinge is there a hidden compartment there???   I see now you do have one there I blew up the photo so I could see it better.  How deep is it??

Check out Events with the MidWest Truck Campers & Frineds at www.midwesttruckcampers.wordpress.com

logo-idea.jpg?w=240

#14 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Countrycamper, it looks as though your swing out brackets go to the rear, away from the rear door. Good idea. Is your camper a standard camper with modified storage compartments, or is it one of the newer flatbed campers? Does it have a factory genny?

#15 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

rear box is 2ft x 9 inch, 1 ft deep. modified the spare tire holder, as it can be accessed through the box. side boxes are 1 ft deep also. I have never wished I had more space, and now with that heavy camper, i dont want any more weight. ha. With the old lance camper, if i had a flat, i had to unload to change the tire. Now i do not have to, as i can get to the rear compartment loaded with the af. I will always have a flatbed. 

#16 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

Its a standard 8.5 foot, with a little alteration from the factory.  When I was at the manufacture telling them what I wanted on the camper for accessories I mentioned that I was going to make something for semi outside storage Like you did.  They said for $400 they would make enclosed storage boxes for me and that's what they came up with lights and speakers tv/cable jack.  I have about 110% more storage this way.  I love what they did, and the wife really really loves it.  They are basically a bolt on box.  Directly bolted to the camper so they can come off for a resale to a box bed which is what most people have.  The only thing they did differently is the front of the camper they used one whole sheet and covered the front of the boxes with camper sheeting so it looks like it was meant to be.  It actually looks custom built but its not.  He said with a jigsaw I could just cut out the front box and just put edge trim on and it would fit right in a normal pickup box.  Or for $300 they would do it for me.    I'll get some pics of it someday to cold here, and its still on the truck.  The headache rack blocks the view.

logo-idea.jpg?w=240

#17 OFFLINE   gsair

gsair

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

That sounds like a neat way to do it. It looks factory, and it comes off when you unload it. Nice

#18 OFFLINE   countrycampers3

countrycampers3

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

I about forgot.  No factory generator.  But this has a screened storage compartment that fits the Honda 2000 generator and 2-3 gallons of gas if you find a narrow enough container.  The Generator will run the air, or everything else but not both.  It gets deathly humid here in Iowa so the air is a must.

logo-idea.jpg?w=240

#19 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3727 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

rear box is 2ft x 9 inch, 1 ft deep. modified the spare tire holder, as it can be accessed through the box. side boxes are 1 ft deep also. I have never wished I had more space, and now with that heavy camper, i dont want any more weight. ha. With the old lance camper, if i had a flat, i had to unload to change the tire. Now i do not have to, as i can get to the rear compartment loaded with the af. I will always have a flatbed. 

nice touch!

www.thetclife.com

#20 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1921 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Reading your blog TC I love the snow wife dont she wins. Was curious how you got it on flat bed and answerd You did. Why the long hole in the bed? Know you said for the drain? Quess Im thinking about the lance stright out the bottom I must of missed something. Do like the Idea of all the storage area's that it makes. I did relize one thing making the hitch and hitch extention. How will I get my spare tire down from underneith. New trucks you have to crak them up or down? By inserting the handle from above the license plate. Thinking about that may have to go back to old school or make a place behind the front tool box.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In