• NATCOA Members
  • 1583 posts
  • Local time: 12:26 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

I just went to fill up my truck/camper with diesel. I get 14 miles per gallon. I was empty, so I knew I’d take over 30 gallons to fill up.

The 4 stations at the Interstate near my house were all about $3.98 a gallon. Had I stopped there, it would have cost me 32 gallons x $3.98 = $127.36 to fill up.

BUT, I knew diesel was $3.92 in town. So I drove right past them and 7 miles to town where I bought 32.5 gallons x $3.92 for $127.40.

The EXTRA 7 miles to get to the cheaper diesel cost me 4 cents MORE than had I filled up for at the interstate. $127.36 vs. $127.40 = $0.04

The EXTRA 7 miles BACK to the Interstate area from the cheap station burned 1/2 of a gallon @ $3.92 = $1.96. Add the 4 cents to the $1.96 and what did I accomplish? I lost money.

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

#62 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3214 posts
  • Local time: 10:26 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Why I plan my fueling along my most commonly traveled route and who is the least expensive along it. Until it gets up to $0.10 a gallon or greater price difference, it's not worth shopping around.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#63 OFFLINE   Rick1985

Rick1985

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 538 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Camper Brand:Fleetwood
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Ram 3500

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:16 AM

I saw someone mention how nobody complained when the cost of a barrell dropped to 70.00. What exactly did that do at the pump? Not much of anything. If a Shiek farts upwind in the desert the price jumps 25 cents at the pump but the price of a barrel cut in half does almost nothing at the pump. It only works in one direction my friends. It will raise way up, level off, and drop back down. BUT!!!! It will not drop down as far as it was. This is a repeating cycle. Make people mad by raising the price outragiously high and then make them feel happy by drooping it back down but not quite as far as it was. They are still making millions a day plus the billions a day they made while it was very high. Going way back to the statement that Tillerman made and a couple of others similar to it I can guess whose income revolves around the oil market. LOL. Fact of the matter is, I have already cancelled one trip and may have to cancell others. If gas hits 5.00 then it will take 35% of my income just to get to and from work!

#64 OFFLINE   U.F.O.

U.F.O.

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Local time: 01:26 AM
  • State/Province or Region:ontario
  • Camper Brand:2009 eagle cap 950
  • Truck Make & Model:1997 F-350 SC PS Dually, 1994 F-250 4x4 diesel, 1987ford dually diesel.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:06 PM

Gas here just went up to tie the all time high price in 2008 , $1.38 / Lt , a barrel of oil is roughly $106.00 today , 2008 , $147.00 what gives?

#65 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3214 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

I dunno, but it keeps its upwards spiral and I will feel less and less remorse about a witch hunt and lynching session being started against the fuel industry's people or the investors.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#66 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:58 PM

I saw someone mention how nobody complained when the cost of a barrell dropped to 70.00. What exactly did that do at the pump? Not much of anything. If a Shiek farts upwind in the desert the price jumps 25 cents at the pump but the price of a barrel cut in half does almost nothing at the pump. It only works in one direction my friends. It will raise way up, level off, and drop back down. BUT!!!! It will not drop down as far as it was. This is a repeating cycle. Make people mad by raising the price outragiously high and then make them feel happy by drooping it back down but not quite as far as it was. They are still making millions a day plus the billions a day they made while it was very high. Going way back to the statement that Tillerman made and a couple of others similar to it I can guess whose income revolves around the oil market. LOL. Fact of the matter is, I have already cancelled one trip and may have to cancell others. If gas hits 5.00 then it will take 35% of my income just to get to and from work!

We, as a entire population, seem to fall for the same trick over and over again.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein

Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#67 OFFLINE   ksc8850

ksc8850

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Ohio
  • Interests:Fresh Water Fishing, Campfires and Good Food!
  • Camper Brand:Real Lite HS-1810 by Palomino
  • Truck Make & Model:4th Gen. Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 4x4
  • Name (Public):Ken

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

Why is it that our government(s) allow these speculators to operate and have the effect on the petro market that they do???? Somehow, it seems to me, that speculative markets should have some controls, no different than the mortgage crisis caused new controls to be put into effect.
<p class='bbc_center'><span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 10px;'><em class='bbc'>Ram 3500 CrewCab, </em></span><span style='font-size: 10px;'><em class='bbc'><em class='bbc'>DRW </em></em></span><span style='font-size: 10px;'><em class='bbc'>4X4, TL TieDowns, SuperHitch, SuperTruss, FastGuns, StableLoads, AirLift Bags (+wireless in-cab controller) and Rancho 9000s carrying a Real Lite HS-1810 (and sometimes towing an 18' Starcraft Super Fisherman). </em></span></span></p><p class='bbc_center'><br /> </p>

#68 OFFLINE   philc

philc

Poster

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • State/Province or Region:oklahoma
  • Camper Brand:red dale
  • Name (Public):philc

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

well, I wonder how long this trend will keep up? yesterday gas at my local store was $3.43 gal and deisel was $3.83 gal. today gas is .02 cents higher and deisel is .08 cents cheaper. if it keeps going deisel may actually get cheaper than gas. These prices are for real gas, not ethenol.

Edited by philc, 29 February 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   Skyhammer

Skyhammer

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Host Everest
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350 DRW
  • Name (Public):Skyhammer

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

When the price of a barrel of oil dropped to $70, the average price for a gallon of gas dropped to $1.89/gallon, that was over a $1/gallon drop.
People have short memories.
One of the main reasons fuel is so high is that we have printed over $5 trillion in new Dollars without a corresponding increase in GDP. In other words we have printed all this new money that has less value because the economy hasn't grown enough to absorb this new supply of $. Since $ are worth less, we have to use more $ to buy the same amount of product.
Another reason why prices are so high is the obscene # of blends we have. There are dozens of blends through out the country.A lot of these blends are not based on any scientific evidence, just politics.
If the Feds and the various states, even just temporarily reduced the # of blends so fuel could be shipped from state to state, it is estimated that the price per gallon would drop in a few weeks by $.75-$1/gallon.
Controlling our money supply and reducing regulations are two things we could do on our own to bring down prices. All it takes is political will, which we don't have.
The states and Federal government are getting a windfall of money for their coffers with the high prices. Of course this is a short term windfall and will hurt the economy in the mid to long term, but politicians operate on the short term.

#70 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Local time: 11:26 PM
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

It's not only crude oil that's traded internationally. Our big Gulf and west coast refineries export refined product. It started with diesel fuel (remember when it became more expensive than gas?) but now includes gasoline. We'll be paying international prices plus federal and state taxes. The US is burning almost 8% less gasoline than a year ago, but the price is up, mainly because China is willing to pay.
Keystone is needed, but TransCanada wants to build it to access international markets, not to supply the US, if we aren't willing to pay international prices. The community that would be the seaport if TC built a pipeline to their BC west coast, raised a stink about possibility of spills. By-the-way, TC built a short pipeline through eastern ND, and it leaked. I think the Canadians need access to a seaport, but I'm not so sure TransCanada is the company to build it.
My plans will be more exploration of home state parks and fishing waters. Any long trips will either involve week-long or more stays at our destination, or taking the 30mpg car is a lot of the stops will only be overnight.

#71 OFFLINE   Harried Harry

Harried Harry

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Camping, traveling, reading, geocaching, fishing (new effort), gardening, DIY stuff, farming pecans, meeting people.
  • Camper Brand:Lance 915 mfg in October 2007.
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 2500 QuadCab 4x4 Laramie LB w/6.7 CTD; Torklift; Happijac ties, Hellwig Big Wig; Rancho 9000LX, Bullet liner, Husky goose-neck
  • Name (Public):Harry

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

I will pay the price at the pump, but I will review any proposed trips. Since 2010 all my trips were curtailed except for several funerals I attended. I am planning to make a lot of trips fishing this year; I have already bought my annual camping pass, so I need to make at least 10 camping trips to break even. In 2004 I went to Alaska by pickup. The price of gas varied, but some locations in Canada were $2.00 more per gallon than here in the States. Lesson: fill up whenever near a large city. I have cut back on my travels but I have also quit driving to work. While working, I drove over 20,000 miles a year. Since retirement, I average 5000 miles a year, which is a significant reduction of costs.

If my wife had not gotten sick, which meant we were spending money for medical, we would have taken a lot more trips. Now we are planning on how and when we will take our trips. The price of fuel will come back down, but it won't come down as far as many of us would like.

Harry

#72 OFFLINE   Kodiak K99

Kodiak K99

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1441 posts
  • Interests:Camping/Golfing/Water Skiing
  • Camper Brand:Kodiak
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 3500 Dodge 6.7 Cummins 4x4 Dually
  • Name (Public):Mike

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

All interesting stuff on how the price of fuel is effected by world events. For us diesel stayed high in price. An explosion at our expanding upgraded lost a major portion of the diesel production side. The rebuild is slated to take place in a few months. It may be another 3 to 4 months before diesel production gets up to full production again. The price for us locally runs at 5.50 a gallon. I see it as the lowest we will ever see it. Our price will almost certainly increase as the economy recovers, the Keystone pipe line gets it's way in a few years and the main engine of supply and demand takes over. Fuel from our location sells for $1.50 cheaper in the closest US state. Once this same fuel is feed into the Keystone pipe line, the demand for it will only push the price higher.

I hope to make some 10 to 20 trips to the ski course this year. Will prices keep me from the lake at $80 at trip? Unless I have a crew to ski with, it may be closer to 10 trips this year.
2007 3500 Dodge Cummins 6.7 4x4 Dually
SuperHitch and Torklift Tie Downs
2002 Kodiak K99 Camper...3100 lbs mt, 13500 BTU A/C
5x8 Continental Cargo Trailer
Honda EM2500 Gen
Ski Supreme Competition Ski Boat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In