Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

HAND Gun Poll

84 replies to this topic

Poll: Gun Poll (89 member(s) have cast votes)

guns

1. I'm American & have a handgun in my TC (52 votes [58.43%])

Percentage of vote: 58.43%

2. I'm American & have no handgun (29 votes [32.58%])

Percentage of vote: 32.58%

3. I'm a Canadian breaking the law & have a handgun (1 votes [1.12%])

Percentage of vote: 1.12%

4. I'm a wimpy law abiding Canadian, no handgun (6 votes [6.74%])

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

5. I'm a Canadian. I arm myself on crossing the border (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. I'm Canadian licensed to carry a handgun & do. (1 votes [1.12%])

Percentage of vote: 1.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

Past President, Founding Member, Forum Super Moderator

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Local time: 02:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:TX
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.
  • Camper Brand:2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 37 foot
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 Cummins, 4X4, Laramie, SRW
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

Like sirwilliam, I have lived and worked with guns all of my adult like, hunting, Viet Nam, local police and 27 yeas as a federal agent. I have seen what a bullets can do to a human and to animals. But I took a different path from what was taken by sirwilliam. I respect firearms and own several, from a .22 peashooter to a .44 magnum with custom loads that can pass through an engine block. It would have to be a grave situation, no pun intended, for me, personally, to use a weapon in any situation, but, that said, I could not live with myself, if some incident happened to my family where the presence of a handgun or the use of it, would have saved the life of a loved one. As most law enforcement people will tell you, most bad guys are cowards. When they have the only gun, they are big, mean and in control. Add a weapon on the side of the good guys, and normally, they scurry back to the hole they came out of. I guess you can guess what I voted.
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#22 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 01:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:56 PM

Hmmm, Well fellow Canucks, from the poll, I guess it would not be a good idea for us to try to burn down the White House like we did in 1812. We'll just have to try & poison them with poutine, or drive them crazy with Celine Dionne. B)

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#23 OFFLINE   Snowriver1

Snowriver1

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 1055 posts
  • Local time: 08:54 PM
  • Interests:Building campers, flyfishing, beer drinking, chasin women,
  • Camper Brand:Snowrivers, lots of em
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford 350 diesel shortbox
  • Name (Public):Bob Mehrer

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:21 AM

I have Rifles, shotguns, and handguns, all regisrered. I have also taught firearms safety courses. I grew up in Alberta, and have shot guns from the age of ten. In my day they were a way of life, how else could you keep the coyote's away from the chickens?

Bob
Snowriver1

#24 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 740 posts
  • Local time: 03:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:08 AM

I have an arsenal (AR15. 30-30, 30.06. shotgun, 9MM) here at home, but nothing in the TC (at least now before i read this post).

i heard somewhere that it takes 2-3 chest/body shots to stop a man, so i have advised my wife to aim for the head.
We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#25 OFFLINE   Northstar Campers

Northstar Campers

Manufacturer - Founding Member

• TC- Manufacturers
  • 692 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:14 AM

I have a few guns. When I was younger and traveling on the road selling Northstars I carried a handgun with me always. Until one day. My Father who also carries a gun and has a permit to carry it, said something interesting to me. He asked me if I thought I was as prepared for violence, as the person that I would use the handgun against. After that, and for the past 18 years of traveling I never have carried one. I try to look at every situation before I get out of the vehicle and am also trying to be aware of what is going on around me for safety. One thing I do know in the states is to never stop at a rest area on the interstate after dark. Those places I have learned are a natural place for the creepies to come out after sunset, and can be a dangerous stop.

#26 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:29 AM

I have Rifles, shotguns, and handguns, all regisrered. I have also taught firearms safety courses. I grew up in Alberta, and have shot guns from the age of ten. In my day they were a way of life, how else could you keep the coyote's away from the chickens?

Bob
Snowriver1

And the raging hormoned guys away from the farmers daughters... B)

#27 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts
  • Local time: 07:54 AM
  • Interests:RV'IN', CAMPIN', SOCKEYE FISHIN' & JUST PLAIN HAVIN' FUN....
  • Camper Brand:CITATION SUPREME 26 RKS 5'TH WHEEL
  • Truck Make & Model:CHEVY SILVERADO K2500HD DURAMAX/ALLISON
  • Name (Public):STEVE

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:20 AM

While it may be justifiable to carry firearms for self protection and you are able to get off a good clean shot to take sowe undesirable down there are a few things to consider. A well trained individual here used an example of a handgun with custom loads that will enable a round to pass through an engine block, man that's pretty heavy duty. I guess the outside fiberglass wall of an RV wouldn't be much protection from a weapon like that. The point here is where has the round gone that has passed through the undesirable!!?? While this weapon in the hands of a trained professional, who is not only trained in it's operation but more importamtly is trained to be able to access a situation and react immediately, would be comforting to his fellow RV'ers but what worries me is how many untrained nimrods are out there packin' this kind of heat??? As you all well know some can't wait to pull it out and start blastin'. My point is I don't want my friends or family takin' out by friendly fire while tryin' to enjoy the great outdoors or Disneland or what-have-you. Also where does one secure a fire arm in his RV/truck/MH?? Most crimes, I would suspect, are perpetrated via stolen weapons??!! How many children are accidently shot when the stumble on a weapon hidden in a shoe box etc,?? This is the way I feel about this whole situation, IMHO, leave the damn things locked up as they have no place in public...........................Steve...

Edited by sirwilliam, 14 November 2005 - 09:22 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts
  • Interests:Camping and RV's (of course), motorcycles, fishing, home repairs, woodworking, reading, travel, volunteer work.

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:02 PM

sirwilliam, I certainly respect your decision as well as the others who have expressed an issue with the carriage of a weapon. That decision makes you feel comfortable and more power to you for that view. As I said in my post, it would have to be a "grave situation" for me to use or display a firearm. I certainly do not believe in my heart that personal property is worth a life, even a despicable, low life criminal's. But my life or the life of others is a completely different situation. Perhaps my career has shaded my viewpoint. I have encountered people who have no respect, zero, for a life, theirs or yours. I have seen people shot and killed for a pizza delivery or a pair of Nike shoes. And this makes me nervous when I am on the road knowing there are people like this out in the world. And, the .44 magnum with the heavy loads, that is about as much fun to shoot as putting the butt of a large shotgun on your forehead and pulling the trigger! It is a range weapon and never goes anyplace.

I am a long way from a "gun nut", but I feel comfortable with weapons and most of good, decent, law abiding people who I have meet that carry them.

Have a good day, my friend, Larry
Larry,<br />Corpus Christi, Tejas<br />2007 Lazy Daze Class C and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler toad<br />04 Dodge 3500, Cummins<br /><br /><strong class='bbc'>Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: 1. Jesus Christ. 2. The American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your Freedom. </strong><br /><br /><br /><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='color: #FF0000'>"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit</span></span><br /><span style='color: #FF0000'>violence on those who would do us harm." - </span><span style='color: #000000'>George Orwell</span>

#29 OFFLINE   Wellsdesigned

Wellsdesigned

Senior (in title, not age) Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 648 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Interests:Camping
    Traveling
    Molding My 10 Acres
    Writing
    Architecture
  • Camper Brand:Eagle Cap 850 w/ slide
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 Chevy 2500 HD

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:32 PM

I have the safety of my children in mind by not owning a firearm. However, I will take up a gun if my government decides I can't. Good thing I don't live in San Fran-psycho.
Based above the Sacramento CA fog/smog
2002 2500HD 4X4 Ext. Cab 6.0L
2004 Eagle Cap 850 TC w/slide-out

My creative writing Website

#30 OFFLINE   BoyerCustomTrucks_com

BoyerCustomTrucks_com

Truck Equip Dealer

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, bikes, camping, dunes, guns
  • Name (Public):Scott

Posted 14 November 2005 - 12:38 PM

I have kids and a wife that can't defend themselvs as well as trained physical arts masters can. Or a hopped up crack head. I cary. I would gladly take fire so they can at least get away. They are worth that in my eyes.

BTW, don't expect me to respond to critisizim of my view or feelings. I will however if you put my family in danger. :)
<p class='bbc_center'><strong class='bbc'><span style='color: #ff0000'>Dont see it on the site? Just ask we prolly have it.<br />www.BoyerCustomTruck.com</span></strong><br />1997 F350 Power Stroke Diesel XLT<br />4 door, 4x4, Automatic, Off Road Package, Tow Package, AFE filter, IDM mod., Custom Tunes, Big Injectors, 203 Degree T-stat, No Rad Fan, Rediculously huge non intercooled turbo, BTS Trans, 6.0 trans cooler, Limited Slip front and rear, ChromMo Front Shafts, 4.10 gears, Skyjacker 6� front lift with Custom Rear Springs, Rancho RS9000X Pro Reservoir Shocks, Rancho Dual Steering Stabilizer, Ultra Razor 20x10 rims, Toyo MT 37x13.50r20, Super Hitch, Torq Lift Tie Downs, Prodigy Brake Controller, Ride Rite Air Bags, 33 gallon rear tank, Silver n Blue Gauge faces, Cobalts, 60psi Boost, 2000* EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Press, Stereo with Video, Galaxy DX99 CB, 700watt power inverter, 3 1000cca batts under truck., 1� of sound deadening, 9 Can Fridge</p>

#31 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:40 PM

There have been some very interesting replies here and I respect them all. Isn't it great that all of us have the choice/option of owning a firearm whether we are Canadian of American.

#32 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:22 PM

It is wonderful that we can commuicate our feelings to one another and not have some PIA moderator shutting us down because he doesn't agree with our topic of controvercy, Also I think I'm gonna start packing my flack jacket and M-72 disposable anti-tank weapon,,,,,LOL!!!! Especailly when RV'ing in the USA. I know, maybe one of our American friends can lend/sign/rent me a big ass 44-Magnum, you know like the one Dirty Harry used to carry, so I can defend myself from all the bad guys down there or a crazed grizzly. Do any of you reccomend I pack a rod for our future trip to Disneyland??!!....LOL!!!...............................Steve...

Edited by sirwilliam, 14 November 2005 - 04:22 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   Paoli

Paoli

Poster

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:14 PM

I'm in Canada. I own guns. They are not registered. And by the looks of it, watching the news, I should get more guns.

#34 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Local time: 12:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:51 PM

Guns are like drugs; they can be out-lawed, but they can't be made to go away.

The poll didn't ask how many Americans had guns, and didn't carry them in the TC.
Uh, I guess that would be all of us.

#35 OFFLINE   FedAgent

FedAgent

• Former Director
  • 3632 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:52 PM

It is wonderful that we can commuicate our feelings to one another and not have some PIA moderator shutting us down because he doesn't agree with our topic of controvercy, Also I think I'm gonna start packing my flack jacket and M-72 disposable anti-tank weapon,,,,,LOL!!!! Especailly when RV'ing in the USA. I know, maybe one of our American friends can lend/sign/rent me a big ass 44-Magnum, you know like the one Dirty Harry used to carry, so I can defend myself from all the bad guys down there or a crazed grizzly. Do any of you reccomend I pack a rod for our future trip to Disneyland??!!....LOL!!!...............................Steve...

Well of course you can borrow my 44 magnum, Steve! After all, what are friends for if we can not share the pain. Fire off six rounds of my special load and you can drive back home with an ice pack on your thumb and wrist.

Like Snowy Bird said, it's nice we can discuss items like this on this forum, express our viewpoint and still enjoy the company and the discussion.

#36 OFFLINE   sirwilliam

sirwilliam

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1975 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:03 PM

Well of course you can borrow my 44 magnum, Steve! After all, what are friends for if we can not share the pain. Fire off six rounds of my special load and you can drive back home with an ice pack on your thumb and wrist.

Like Snowy Bird said, it's nice we can discuss items like this on this forum, express our viewpoint and still enjoy the company and the discussion.

While I appreciate the offer Larry, I think I'll pass. It's one less thing I have to worry about bein' secure. Please don't get me wrong, I respect and like guns in their place ie: a conflict between gov'ts, a firing range or on display. I just wouldn't feel comfortable with one in my RV especially when I have nieces and nephews around on occasion. Maybe someday I'll regret my decision but I hope I can avoid a situation where the need for one would arise. To all of out there that do pack a piece in your TC/RV be careful and don't shoot us innocent folk by mistake. :) ..................................Steve...

#37 OFFLINE   AnEv942

AnEv942

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • Camper Brand:01 Fleetwood Elkhorn 9U
  • Truck Make & Model:01 Ford F250 7.2
  • Name (Public):Mark & Margaret

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:50 PM

Wow folks....
I gotta admit, when I seen this poll come up, i thought, oh no, this cant lead to anything good. One of those topics folks have very strong opinions about. But ive noted there have been some expressions of them-maybe whilst bitting a tonuge or 2 but yet no ones gone off the deep end. Its VERY refreshing.

Says a lot about you all...
Mark

ourelkhornc.jpg

01 Ford 250 DRW 4X4 Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Air lift w/in dash controls
Rancho shocks
Torklift mounts
Our camper projects page

#38 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2125 posts
  • Local time: 12:54 AM
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 15 November 2005 - 06:53 AM

Wow folks....
I gotta admit, when I seen this poll come up, i thought, oh no, this cant lead to anything good. One of those topics folks have very strong opinions about. But ive noted there have been some expressions of them-maybe whilst bitting a tonuge or 2 but yet no ones gone off the deep end. Its VERY refreshing.

Says a lot about you all...
Mark

Politeness rules when everyone has a gun.

#39 OFFLINE   BoyerCustomTrucks_com

BoyerCustomTrucks_com

Truck Equip Dealer

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Interests:Trucks, bikes, camping, dunes, guns
  • Name (Public):Scott

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:26 AM

Do any of you reccomend I pack a rod for our future trip to Disneyland??!!

I would, they let huge freaking rats and talking ducks just wander around that place! And you never hear about all the kids they EAT!!!!!!! HUGE COVERUP! I think the prefured method for rats is a spring trap and bait, whereas ducks (as long as thier in season) would be a 12 ga and a retriver/lab ;) happy hunting.

On second thought, that may not be a bad idea... Would clear out the lines so you could ride more than 2 rides a day!
<p class='bbc_center'><strong class='bbc'><span style='color: #ff0000'>Dont see it on the site? Just ask we prolly have it.<br />www.BoyerCustomTruck.com</span></strong><br />1997 F350 Power Stroke Diesel XLT<br />4 door, 4x4, Automatic, Off Road Package, Tow Package, AFE filter, IDM mod., Custom Tunes, Big Injectors, 203 Degree T-stat, No Rad Fan, Rediculously huge non intercooled turbo, BTS Trans, 6.0 trans cooler, Limited Slip front and rear, ChromMo Front Shafts, 4.10 gears, Skyjacker 6� front lift with Custom Rear Springs, Rancho RS9000X Pro Reservoir Shocks, Rancho Dual Steering Stabilizer, Ultra Razor 20x10 rims, Toyo MT 37x13.50r20, Super Hitch, Torq Lift Tie Downs, Prodigy Brake Controller, Ride Rite Air Bags, 33 gallon rear tank, Silver n Blue Gauge faces, Cobalts, 60psi Boost, 2000* EGT, Trans Temp, Fuel Press, Stereo with Video, Galaxy DX99 CB, 700watt power inverter, 3 1000cca batts under truck., 1� of sound deadening, 9 Can Fridge</p>

#40 OFFLINE   Wellsdesigned

Wellsdesigned

Senior (in title, not age) Camper

• NATCOA Members
  • 648 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Interests:Camping
    Traveling
    Molding My 10 Acres
    Writing
    Architecture
  • Camper Brand:Eagle Cap 850 w/ slide
  • Truck Make & Model:2002 Chevy 2500 HD

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:18 AM

"I would, they let huge freaking rats and talking ducks just wander around that place!"

That's why Disney now has a giant cowboy and space ranger walking around the park now, in addition to the giant dogs that patrol too (just don't step in the giant poop.)
Based above the Sacramento CA fog/smog
2002 2500HD 4X4 Ext. Cab 6.0L
2004 Eagle Cap 850 TC w/slide-out

My creative writing Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In