Announcements

Lots of new items for sale in our store. Click here

Photo

Where do you fit in with GVWR fully loaded ?

59 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Kampin' Keith

Kampin' Keith

Poster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Alberta
  • Camper Brand:Lance 830 w/ tent option, TV/DVD combo, Voltminder, (2) group 31 Batteries, WII game system
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 Ford F350, SRW, Diesel 4x4, crew cab, Timbrens, Super Springs, 20" Toyo All Terrain tires, Kenwood TM-271 VHF radio, Cobra CB radio, Hellwig Sway Bar(s), VoltMinder, Garmin GPS, Aries Bull Bar with Light Force Aux. Lights, PIAA Ultra White Fog Lights, Rhino Liner spray box, Industrial rubber bed mat
  • Name (Public):Kampin' Keith

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hello Gaget , I'm afraid the mods do nothing to change the GVWR rating of your unit. They make it
feel better and able to carry the load but the rating ( legally ) stands at 14500 . I went through this line of thinking
at the time I tried to get my 350 rated higher GVWR and is the reason we had the 550 built in 2000 to get
the 17500 rating . If we were 2 wheel drive the rating would be 18500 . I only licence the unit just over the scaled
weight as licencing at full GVWR rating opens me here in BC to very costly licencing and to yearly commercial inspections .
an additional expence I don't need .According to my registration shows my unit is listed as commercial with
personal use .

cost I don't need .

Lancealot........you are correct. We can add all the items we want to our truck but that will not change the all mighty "door sticker". This topic really gets divided into two categories; one for being within the legal weights allowable as per our carrying capacity as per the door sticker and the other is being within the level of comfort for the safe operating of our vehicles going down the road.

I do find it interesting that most of the weights and GVWR reported here are mainly over the allowable weight. Some are slightly under the GVWR. However, if you are really worried about the weight police and how they will look at a truck camper scenario I will tell you. First of all, you will need to become familiar with your GAWR (gross axle weight rating). You will have a rating for your rear axle and your front axle. When hauling truck campers, it will be unlikely that any of you will exceed your front GAWR. I say unlikely because it is possible that some of you may haul something like a motorcycle up there or alternate gear and equipment that could add significant weight. The real weight that could be an issue is your GAWR for the rear axle. Most of the camper weight is on the rear axle. The COG will be slightly ahead of the rear axle which will transfer some moderate weight to the front axle. However, depending how your camper is laid out and what holding tanks are full or not, may not affect the front axle very much at all.

So at the end of the day, staying below your GVWR will mean NOTHING if you are over on your rear GAWR. You cannot take the allowable front axle weight and subtract it from the overall weight to fut within your GVWR. Does that make sense? If you really are serious about evaluating your weight.......you need to pay particular attention to your rear GAWR and then go from there. For some of you,MIT might be a matter of moving a storage hitch box from the rear to the front? Or travelling with little to no fresh water? Or travelling with MT holding tanks? And then of course you get into dealing with the topic of 19.5 rims and tires. After evaluating my rear GAWR again this year......I finally decided I wanted to error to the side of safety. I currently have 20" Toyos that give me 3750 lbs. per wheel........but with my 19.5 update, I will have another 1,000 lbs. per wheel to play with. Having said all that, my rear GAWR will still not satisfy the door sticker but I feel very confident that the truck will travel very safe. I still could be facing a fine though, despit my total GVWR being well below my 11,400 allowable from my door sticker.

#42 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2003 Bigfoot 30C10.11SL
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck
  • Name (Public):Rick and Susanne

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

Hi Brian
I had the truck with commercial farm plates.
But switched when my farm status ran out.
I found I had to reregister and needed a national safety code number.
I am currently registered at full GVW , pleasure use only.
No safety inspections every 6 months.
But with pleasure use only, you are still allowed to use it for work a few days a month.
I'll have to double check the registration in the truck later.

#43 OFFLINE   Pete

Pete

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • State/Province or Region:OH
  • Interests:Traveling and camping with our Foxtrot horses.
    Motorcycles, Old dirt and Sport Touring
  • Camper Brand:2008 Snow River 10-2 RK
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Dodge 3500 DRW SLT
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

My '06 Dodge DRW 4X4 with '08 SnowRiver 10-2 fully loaded weights in at 13,700. 112% of GVWR. It handled okay with a roll bar and airbags but when I went to 19.5 "G" rated tires it made a world of difference. I don't know how anything that heavy handles that well, but man am I happy with it.

#44 OFFLINE   Gaget

Gaget

Poster

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Local time: 03:38 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Maryland
  • Camper Brand:TBD
  • Truck Make & Model:F450 cc 4x4
  • Name (Public):Gaget

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

Gaget
Are you going to run singles.
And is the rear air sus. Self leveling
Those 265 are going to look good.
After you get your camper let us know the height on truck.
Happy New Year
Rick

Rick,
Running Duals
I added Air on boith ends and both ends are self leveling. the systerm comes from Accuaire, it has three selectable settings, 10% of ride height, 50% or ride height and 90% ride height. The system standard function is to maintain ride height fore and aft as well as side to side. Very cool system and very well put together. The hardware come from Kelderman another well put together system.

Need to get a few snaps and upload em.

Cheers.

Need to seel my Boat before the camper can come home, anybody interest in a 31 ft trailerable tri???

Cheers

#45 OFFLINE   Gaget

Gaget

Poster

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Maryland
  • Camper Brand:TBD
  • Truck Make & Model:F450 cc 4x4
  • Name (Public):Gaget

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Lancealot........you are correct. We can add all the items we want to our truck but that will not change the all mighty "door sticker". This topic really gets divided into two categories; one for being within the legal weights allowable as per our carrying capacity as per the door sticker and the other is being within the level of comfort for the safe operating of our vehicles going down the road.

I do find it interesting that most of the weights and GVWR reported here are mainly over the allowable weight. Some are slightly under the GVWR. However, if you are really worried about the weight police and how they will look at a truck camper scenario I will tell you. First of all, you will need to become familiar with your GAWR (gross axle weight rating). You will have a rating for your rear axle and your front axle. When hauling truck campers, it will be unlikely that any of you will exceed your front GAWR. I say unlikely because it is possible that some of you may haul something like a motorcycle up there or alternate gear and equipment that could add significant weight. The real weight that could be an issue is your GAWR for the rear axle. Most of the camper weight is on the rear axle. The COG will be slightly ahead of the rear axle which will transfer some moderate weight to the front axle. However, depending how your camper is laid out and what holding tanks are full or not, may not affect the front axle very much at all.

So at the end of the day, staying below your GVWR will mean NOTHING if you are over on your rear GAWR. You cannot take the allowable front axle weight and subtract it from the overall weight to fut within your GVWR. Does that make sense? If you really are serious about evaluating your weight.......you need to pay particular attention to your rear GAWR and then go from there. For some of you,MIT might be a matter of moving a storage hitch box from the rear to the front? Or travelling with little to no fresh water? Or travelling with MT holding tanks? And then of course you get into dealing with the topic of 19.5 rims and tires. After evaluating my rear GAWR again this year......I finally decided I wanted to error to the side of safety. I currently have 20" Toyos that give me 3750 lbs. per wheel........but with my 19.5 update, I will have another 1,000 lbs. per wheel to play with. Having said all that, my rear GAWR will still not satisfy the door sticker but I feel very confident that the truck will travel very safe. I still could be facing a fine though, despit my total GVWR being well below my 11,400 allowable from my door sticker.

Thanks for the concern, Lancealot
2008 F450 pickups come with a s14 110 Dana rear axle, cap 14,000#, This was replaced with a S15 110L unit axle rating 15,000. Frame on the 450/550 are built to the same specs slighly different configuration on the pickup model but same spec. You are right the Door sticker is the door sticker, but as a non commercial vehicle I do not have to go over a scale and have that weight bounced out the door sticker thus no ticket. The front axle is a Dana 80 with a 6500# rating...... Axle rating has gone up 2000#

Also while the combination of truck and camper may look huge the truck will ride very civilized and in complete control, if not the police would raise an eye and might stop for a chat.

Police are smarter that they look especially when they have DOT training. They look at tires suspensions and the way the thing handlesgoing down the road. Rule O thumb if it looks solid it will fly under the radar.

Now to the door sticker..... DMV here in MD has an avenue to re-rate the door sticker, you need to provide the engineering and part with some hard earned cash, after review and inspection they either approve or disaprove. If The engineering is done for them by a mechanical engineer their work is just review and inspect. Engineering is done, paperwork is done and submitted awaiting the inspection now, I'll let you know how it turn out. Thumbs up or down, I know the truck will safely carry my intended camper.

Cheers

Edited by Gaget, 04 January 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   Mooring product

Mooring product

Poster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM
  • State/Province or Region:FL
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:2003 F250

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

I would post but don'tfeel like getting flamed..

#47 OFFLINE   Rick1985

Rick1985

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 538 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Camper Brand:Fleetwood
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Ram 3500

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:09 AM

I would post but don'tfeel like getting flamed..

O-KAAAAY? So why did you post that little tid-bit?

#48 OFFLINE   Mooring product

Mooring product

Poster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • State/Province or Region:FL
  • Truck Make & Model:2003 F250

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

Im not sure. Maybe to draw attention to myself?

#49 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

I just thought of something else.
Would you all say, what ever camper that you are currently carrying, that it would help if the rear axle of your truck was further back, like maybe 6" or more for better balance. ( longer wheelbase )
In my own case i could use more weight up front.
Rick

#50 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Interests:Camping and 4x4's
  • Camper Brand:Looking
  • Truck Make & Model:Looking
  • Name (Public):Chuck & Ruth

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

Scaled today, loaded and ready to camp 10,260 gross, 3,760 front axle, 6,500 rear axle. Door sticker says 10,000 GVW, 4,000 front axle, 7,400, rear axle. all in all.....I'm pretty happy, the truck handles it without issue. It has the camper package and stableloads with Bilstien shocks. :happy0064:

Came up the front of the mountain in hella winds at 45mph.

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1964 IH Scout 80 (project)

1978 CB750K bagger

#51 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

Chuck
You are pretty well balanced with your super cab.
With crew cab I could use a bit more up front.
Rick

#52 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Interests:Camping and 4x4's
  • Camper Brand:Looking
  • Truck Make & Model:Looking
  • Name (Public):Chuck & Ruth

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

"Red" drives like a dream with the S&S, no bounce or porpoising.

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1964 IH Scout 80 (project)

1978 CB750K bagger

#53 OFFLINE   69Bronco

69Bronco

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AZ
  • Camper Brand:Pilgrim (Early 80's)
  • Truck Make & Model:1997 Ford F-350 Crewcab 4x4 Powerstroke
  • Name (Public):Ryan

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:56 PM

1997 F-350 4x4 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD, manual trans, SRW. The original door sticker gives the following:

Front GAWR: 4600 Rear GAWR: 6084 Total GVWR: 9200

Truck with no cargo, full tanks of fuel, and me in it weighs 7140 lbs. Same truck setup plus camper (fully loaded with 30 gal fresh water, empty waste tanks, full propane, and basic camping gear) weighs 10050 lbs. This puts the camper right around 2900 lbs (fully stocked). I don't have individual axle weights, as there aren't any decent scales around here. Will obtain on my next trip to Tucson.

Now according to the door sticker alone I am over GVWR by 850 lbs, or I am at 109% of GVWR.

Now that being said, I have upgraded tires to load range E Nitto Terra Grapplers that are rated for 3415 lbs each (or 373 lbs each, 746 total more than the factory rubber). So if upgrading the tires were to theoretically upgrade the rear axle capacity pound for pound (up to the capacity of the axle itself) then I would only be over by 104 lbs, or 101% of my theoretical new GVWR.

I do know that the rig handles nicely on the road (with stock suspension), and stops fine. I do plan to extend my overload bumpstops so they help a little with sway, and eventually add airbags, but even without this it is not scary to drive.

However I need to get it weighed "per axle" to know where I really stand though.
Truck: 1997 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3l Powerstroke turbodiesel, manual transmission, 3.55 limited slip front and rear. Performance: RiffRaff 6637 cold air intake, rebuilt turbo with Wicked Wheel compressor, Diamond Eye 3" downpipe and 4" cat-delete, Tony Wildman 6 position chip (economy, daily driver, light tow, heavy tow, race, extreme), 6.0l intercooler with custom handmade piping. Equipment: Torklift original Superhitch, Torklift frame-mounted tie-downs, front brushguard, home-brew towing mirror extenders, home-brew "stable-loads".

Camper: Early 80's Pilgrim 8.5' TC (exact vintage unknown). Queen size cabover, 2-way gas-electric fridge, gas oven and range, wet bath with toilet and hand shower, hot water heater, 4" basement containing freshwater tank, grey- and blackwater tanks, vintage Recair swampcooler on the roof, household air conditioner retrofitted into the rear window. Plumbing completely replaced with PEX and accumulator and check valve added. Repaired, reinforced, re-plumbed, re-sealed, re-painted, re-upholstered, and EVERYTHING WORKS!!!

#54 OFFLINE   Norske

Norske

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Local time: 02:38 AM
  • State/Province or Region:MN
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 3500HD Crew cab DRW

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

I'm 1000lbs under the cargo carrying rating of my truck.

#55 OFFLINE   BrianC

BrianC

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • State/Province or Region:PE
  • Camper Brand:Northstar Igloo 9.5U
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Laramie Dually Diesel

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:24 AM

My '03 Dodge Crew Cab 4x2 dually has a gvwr of 11,400lbs. With camper and everything for the road my gross is 11044 lbs. Front axle @ 4664 lbs and rear @ 6380 lbs. Front axle is close to gawr but still under. We are happy with the handling etc. We only had to add Stable Loads for the overload springs to engage sooner. Love this match up.

#56 OFFLINE   WestCoast1969

WestCoast1969

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Camper Brand:Norther Lite 9-6 QCSE
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
  • Name (Public):WestCoast1969

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:55 AM

My 2000 F350 DRW with a full tank of diesel weights in at 7400 lbs. 2011 Norther Lite 9'6" wet weights in at 4000 lbs (2800 lbs dry). So with a GVW of 11200 I come in at 104.9%.
WestCoast1969

2000 Ford F350 Lariat, 4wd, DRW, 7.3l, Firestone Airbags, Rancho 9000 XL shocks, front/rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Torklift Fastguns
2011 Northern Lite 9-6 QC

#57 OFFLINE   Lucky Larry

Lucky Larry

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AZ
  • Camper Brand:Lance 2010 855, loaded!
  • Truck Make & Model:06 Ford F-350 CC SB 6.0 4X4 Visions 245X19.5 G Kumho's Helwig Ft. & rear SB, Rancho's,Timbren's, 6.0 Bulett Proof Eng.
  • Name (Public):Larry

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

My 06 F-350 4x4 SB CC 6.0 with Lance 855 loaded comes in at 12,220 lbs. which is 110% of my GVW of 11,200 lbs. I have gone to 245x70 G's and with some suspension up grades it handles like it was built for 13,000 lbs. GVW. Ford derates the rear axle that I have to match the orginal rims and tires so withe the new G's I feel very safe. There is really no need to be concerned with the weight police since they deal with over 25,000 GVW, in other words commericial vehicles.

#58 OFFLINE   Harried Harry

Harried Harry

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Camping, traveling, reading, geocaching, fishing (new effort), gardening, DIY stuff, farming pecans, meeting people.
  • Camper Brand:Lance 915 mfg in October 2007.
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 2500 QuadCab 4x4 Laramie LB w/6.7 CTD; Torklift; Happijac ties, Hellwig Big Wig; Rancho 9000LX, Bullet liner, Husky goose-neck
  • Name (Public):Harry

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:22 PM

I sold my Snowriver (TC) since, when wet it was almost 4000# when fully loaded with 33 gal. of water, 2 bottles of propane, 2 batteries, food, clothing (mine-50#, wife-150#), and beverages. The load capacity on my Dodge 2500 QuadCab is 1980# per the Dodge brochure. The GVWR on my truck is 9000#, but with the Snowriver loaded, the weight was over 11,000#. I was over by 24% which is 124% of the GVWR.

I added SuperSprings, Big Wig anti-sway bar, and Rancho 9000XL shocks. I bought air springs but haven't installed them. The truck is very close to the limits on the tires but I can't afford right now to replace all four with a higher load capacity tire. The existing tires have 8/32 tread left with 46,000 miles on them. These tires have a lot of life left. I am now looking for a much lighter TC so both my wife and I will be happy. Neither of us were happy with the height of the TC since if I go off road I might have problems with the gravity.

Our next TC will be much lighter. My wife doesn't want to get anywhere near the load limit. I think I can safely stay under my limit if the next camper is about 2800# fully loaded. This would be 800# less than the Snowriver so it should be much easier to handle. If I find the right one, it will also be much lower. Thanks to all of you, I found out how overloaded I was. Fortunately, the person who bought the Snowriver has the right truck. I am sure he and his wife will be happy.

#59 OFFLINE   elkhornsun

elkhornsun

Poster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • State/Province or Region:ca
  • Camper Brand:undecided
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500HD Diesel
  • Name (Public):elkhornsun

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

I bought a Lance that the manufacturer's stick says is 2765 leaving the factory and the dealer added a 100# AC unit and then drove it to a CAT scale and the total dry weight came in at 3300#.

I worry a little about the 6700# rated load capacity of the rear axle and more about the 6400# load capacity of the two stock 245/75R17 tires (3195@80). I replaced the tires with 285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers that have a load rating of 3750@80 for a 1100# load capacity increase with a net cost for the 4 new tires of $700. Toyo and others make a few sizes of tires for 17 inch rims that are load rated at 3750@80 so one does not necessarily need to replace their rims for 18" ones.

The payload capacity factors in 150 lbs. per available seat in the vehicle so a crew cab would have 6x150 or 900 lbs. allocated to passengers. Fewer or lighter passengers and more can be added to the "payload" though not the weight on the rear axle.

“Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither, and will lose both.” -- Benjamin Franklin

#60 OFFLINE   KnightEagle

KnightEagle

KnightEagle

• NATCOA Members
  • 1915 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Tx
  • Camper Brand:2017 Adventure Alp 116DS
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 Ram 3500HD DRW
  • Name (Public):KnightEagle

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Reading all what has been said. It made me go look at my GAWR 6000r# 4750f# and GVWR 8650#, Was thinking I was in good shape then. I looked at my sticker. Have a 2011 Ram 2500HD stock. Curb weight ab 5600#, Skyline Weekender 2700# A/C add on Top 150# gear around 500# quess on gear weight. With that I'm .05% Over my GVWR as long as everyone stays home and I dont tow the car. With my wife and myself and our son will push us to 11% over GVWR. And with the generator 300# looking at 13% As everyone has listed it I'm around 113%. And towing the small car tung weight of 100# at 14% or 114% GVWR. Yet I added airite 5000 which I inflate to 75-80#,, hellwik sway bar, sumosprings installed in the front rated at 3600#. Want to stay away from air shocks since I have airbags. Will be changing tires as soon as the factory tires wear out. Looking at the Toyo tires and adding a leaf to the spring pack but dont know where to find it at the moment will explore it. thought about the Dualy conversion like Redneck did, but that will have to weight a very long time for any body work so they are out Boss has spoken. The tires has a shrug so did the leaf addtion. But with the GAWR looks like I'm fine or at the limit. Did some crawling around reading the fine print on my tires.245x70rx17 mich 2ply sidewall, 10 ply tread belive that how it translated.There are E rated and can carry 3000# single 2750 Dual. Not that I could but would I be able to carry 5600# on each side if the axle was rated to have duals. Well out with the 3/4 ton and in with the 1 ton drw boss aproved that deal.

Edited by knighteagle, 25 July 2012 - 03:52 PM.

:sign0007: I got it fixed!

2012 Ram 3500HD DRW. RideRite 5000 Air Bags. Hellwig sway Bar rear. Curt hitch 17000/2550. Engine: 6.7-Liter I6 Cummins® Turbo Diesel Engine Transmission: 6-Speed Automatic 68RFE. 2017 Adventure Alp 116DS 5153+ lb. Reg Cab. Torklift Frame mounts. Ranch Hand Front Bumber, Duel hitch and 4' extension . C.B channel 19 most times. Towing a 16 ft storage trailer with a jon boat inside.

ALP116DS2017
ALP116DS10.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In