• 398 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 AM
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Interests:Camping and 4x4's
  • Camper Brand:Looking
  • Truck Make & Model:Looking
  • Name (Public):Chuck & Ruth

Posted 03 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

So I have stripped the interior of the S&S and cleaned/sanitized the whole inside. I pulled the cheap plastic toilet out and replaced it with an RV porcelain unit. I got rid of the crapppy thin foam pad that was considered the bed and added a real mattress. First problem........the storage cabinets in the C/O were not designed for a full size bed, that fix is coming. The dinette pads were in good shape, so they will be used for now. The wardrobe closets hanging bar has pulled itself out of the cealing so it will be updated with a modern aluminum bar and cup brackets. There is evidence of water leakage around the bubble windows (big surprise....not!), so I need to get it off the truck and on the ground so I can work on the window removal and investigation. I have some leaky jacks so I have ordered 2 rebuild kits and will order 2 more in a couple of weeks, so I dont have a mishap while unloading it off the truck. There are other things that need to be addressed on the S&S, but those will be future entries to this thread.

In the mean time I have started to get "BigRed" ready to accept the camper. I've ordered a Torklift Superhitch so I can tow a car trailer with the C/O on her. I have started mounting the HJ front tiedowns. Since this is the 3rd truck that they are going on, some of the origanl parts are gone, meaning all of the spacers and the underbed gussets. Not so much of a problem, since I am a shadetree fab-guy. I need to get some steel to make some new spacers and I want to make an "L" bracket so that the frame-tie bracket is actually attached to the frame (It makes me feel better that way). I have done all I can for now with the HJ brackets (waiting parts), so I will turn to the electrical connections.

Some pics of progress.

Before
Posted Image

During
Posted Image

Almost After (the wife is making new curtains)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1964 IH Scout 80 (project)

1978 CB750K bagger

#2 OFFLINE   ralphl

ralphl

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • Local time: 02:15 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, guns, hunting, fishing, Portabote, travel (for hunting, of course) and reading (about hunting).
  • Camper Brand:S&S Montana
  • Truck Make & Model:97 Ford F-350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Ralph

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:55 PM

Welcome aboard.. Very nice truck and camper. You will have a sweet setup when your done that will give you years of great memories. Check out Lauras window reseal thread(hope he in prison). Keep us informed as you progress.
Ralph & Laura
The Mutts: Cookie & Mag
The Rig: 1997 7.3L Ford F350 Diesel Dually toting a 9.5 S&S Montana Ponderosa SC with all the goodies, including solar.
Full Banks upgrade. Tork Lift frame mount tiedowns. Rancho 9000 shocks. Airbags. Custom GORILLA Bumper by Northland Fabrication.

#3 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

NATCOA President / Rally Cordinator / 2015 Rally Committee

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Wa
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Adventurer 810ws
  • Truck Make & Model:2004 Dodge Dually Cummins power
  • Name (Public):Rich

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

right on....all you need is a picture of a scout being towed behind it all.

love everyday like you won the lotto.

www.thetclife.com

#4 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:35 PM

right on....all you need is a picture of a scout being towed behind it all.

Which one......................lol!! Just picked up the yellow one last week....it has a V8.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1978 CB750K bagger

#5 OFFLINE   U.F.O.

U.F.O.

Poster

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Local time: 04:15 AM
  • State/Province or Region:ontario
  • Camper Brand:2009 eagle cap 950
  • Truck Make & Model:1997 F-350 SC PS Dually, 1994 F-250 4x4 diesel, 1987ford dually diesel.

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:10 PM

Nice binders, I wish mine were like that, they are just a pile of rust now, good memories. Great camper love the bubble windows.

Frank

#6 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts
  • Interests:Camping duh...oh, also hiking, geocaching, bike riding, fishing, just enjoying the outdoors and of course...spending time with my wife and son.

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:09 PM

Which one......................lol!! Just picked up the yellow one last week....it has a V8.

too funny. just cant get enough of a good thing. so hows the camper doing? only found leak at the bubble windows? have you had a chance to take it out yet?

www.thetclife.com

#7 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:47 PM

To much "life" goin on right now to do much. I did finish the front tie-downs on Red today. I hope to get to the electrical tomorrow. I need to rebuild the jacks before I unload it off the Crew-Cab and get it setup close to the ground so I can pull the front windows out and start resealing it. I think that we will "redneck" camp in it first before we take it out. There are a few things that need to be addressed before it goes out "real world" camping. We are strange in the fact that we camp mostly in the winter down in the Palm Desert to get away from the snow and cold of the mountain.

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1978 CB750K bagger

#8 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:50 PM

Welcome aboard.. Very nice truck and camper. You will have a sweet setup when your done that will give you years of great memories. Check out Lauras window reseal thread(hope he in prison). Keep us informed as you progress.

Did a search and couldnt find the thread......link?

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1978 CB750K bagger

#9 OFFLINE   ksc8850

ksc8850

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Local time: 04:15 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ohio
  • Interests:Fresh Water Fishing, Campfires and Good Food!
  • Camper Brand:Real Lite HS-1810 by Palomino
  • Truck Make & Model:4th Gen. Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 4x4
  • Name (Public):Ken

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:45 AM

I did a search for prison...a couple other window repairs came up too!

Welcome, I like your outfit!
<p class='bbc_center'><span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 10px;'><em class='bbc'>Ram 3500 CrewCab, </em></span><span style='font-size: 10px;'><em class='bbc'><em class='bbc'>DRW </em></em></span><span style='font-size: 10px;'><em class='bbc'>4X4, TL TieDowns, SuperHitch, SuperTruss, FastGuns, StableLoads, AirLift Bags (+wireless in-cab controller) and Rancho 9000s carrying a Real Lite HS-1810 (and sometimes towing an 18' Starcraft Super Fisherman). </em></span></span></p><p class='bbc_center'><br /> </p>

#10 OFFLINE   Harried Harry

Harried Harry

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Local time: 02:15 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Camping, traveling, reading, geocaching, fishing (new effort), gardening, DIY stuff, farming pecans, meeting people.
  • Camper Brand:Lance 915 mfg in October 2007.
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 2500 QuadCab 4x4 Laramie LB w/6.7 CTD; Torklift; Happijac ties, Hellwig Big Wig; Rancho 9000LX, Bullet liner, Husky goose-neck
  • Name (Public):Harry

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

Welcome to the group. Rebuilding a TC is lots of fun; just watch what you say when the neighborhood kids come around. :) Harry

#11 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

Got most of the electrical done today. Installed the round 7 in the bed, ran the lights wiring to the rear and got that wired, and removed some old wiring that was not used anymore. Ran 10ga. to the front for 12v and ground so it will keep the battery topped up while driving. I just need to put a circuit breaker between the battery and camper to stop any mishaps.

I noticed that the birds have been using the truck for bombing practice, so I washed it, and then noticed that winter has not been good to the paint. So I got the buffer out and some swirl and scratch remover.....well the hood looks pretty good now but the bird crap marks are still there. Guess I need to use something stronger to get rid of them. Now that the hood looks so good I have to do the rest of the truck..... :angry:

Will try to get to fixing 2 of the worse leaking jacks tomorrow, and see if I can find some wood around the barn to make a camper stand. I really need to get it off the crew-cab and put that thing up for sale.

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1978 CB750K bagger

#12 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:18 PM

Finally took the TC off the brown truck today and set it on some braces. I also went down to the local Home Depot and picked up the stuff for my spacer/flooring brace for "off truck" camping. The bottom is in really good shape and now that its close to the ground and I can start the window removal and repair part. I didnt find any soft spots around any of the front windows or on the sides of the bedroom. I did find a spot on the front that I will have to take apart and see if there is any real damage. It looks like the corner was clipped while unloading at one time in its life. I also need to remount the water heater, it isnt supported by anything in the back and its full weight is on the small screws that it was mounted with and has pulled the screws out. So I need to pull it out and reinforce the area around the W/H and remount it flush like its designed and add a shim under it so it wont do it again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I also plan to get the shore power cord out from under the sink and put a marine style twist/lock connector on the outside and store the powercord somewhere else. There isnt a box or anything there, it just wads up under the sink and makes the space useless. At least this way I can put some stuff under the sink.

More progress reports later.

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1978 CB750K bagger

#13 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:13 PM

Well....I'll tell ya! There was a 2' piece of 4x4 in the front of one of the basement storage areas. What a pain to get it out! I ended up using my pole saw (manual kind) by sliding it up to the front and kinda wedging it between the 4x4 and the top of the storage. Took a couple of tries, but I got it! I also need to make some new drawers for the storage area, 1 was missing and the other one is really beat-up and since its mostly waffer-wood, its starting to come apart. I was thinkin of making them out of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood, with 1x1's in the corners and down the bottom/insides for stiffness (any ideas here would help). Make a few dividers for better organization.....think they'll be light enough?

New sig pic too.

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1978 CB750K bagger

#14 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 02 June 2011 - 02:31 AM

Looks like that S&S is ready for a visit from the Rustoleum fairy ;).

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#15 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

Looks like that S&S is ready for a visit from the Rustoleum fairy ;).

Picked up a gallon of flat black exterior latex yesterday. :P

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1978 CB750K bagger

#16 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:02 PM

Changed out the 215x80R-16 "D" rated tires and steel wheels with simulators, to the 235x85R-16 "E" rated tires on aluminum wheels that were on the brown 86 CC. The tires are almost brand new and 3 years newer than what was on Red.

Note................DO NOT run 80psi in these tires without any load on the truck. I will loose some preasure tomorrow. :blink:

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1978 CB750K bagger

#17 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:14 PM

Hey Mtnkwby, I see that beasty has Hijackers on it its corners, you have the hijacker swing out brackets as well that use the hitch pin in the center to secure them in place?

I just found a set that I'll be buying this weekend to try with my camper.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#18 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

No pin, there is a notch in the top and bottom that lock them in place on themselfs. Bottom for jacking (swung out) and top for travel (swung in).

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1978 CB750K bagger

#19 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:06 PM

OK....today I finished the spacer/support for the most part. I still need to put some paint on the the edge pieces before I mount it to the S&S. I will probably Dicor the seam all the way around so that there is no way water can get inside. Here it is in all its glory.....screwed, glued, and now...insulated.

Posted Image

So now that thats pretty much done I figured that I would see what the issue is with the bottom/front of the TC. Now that I took it apart I can see what happened. It appears that one of the previous owners tried to unload the TC when it wasnt high enough above the bed of the truck. :angry: The pic I posted of the driver/front was the corner that got the worst of it. So instead of taking it apart and fixing it the right way, someone decided that a couple of tubes of silicone would fix it. :sterb003: So I got the bottom of it apart and have decided to replace the bottom portion with some new wood and fix it the right way. On another note...I cant believe that S&S used waffer-wood for the front section, knowing that it would most likely be exposed to weather!!!! I understand that it costs less, but REALLY!!! So they saved $20.00, it will be replace with a quality plywood. There is some damage to the other wood in that corner, but mostly its superfishal and doesnt have to be replaced. I will use some marine epoxy to fill the voids in the panels from the front bulkhead being torn off. I did remove all the screws that held the buldhead in place and the framing under it is in great condition without issues. :fing32:

Posted Image

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1978 CB750K bagger

#20 OFFLINE   the tc life

the tc life

• Admin (non-root)
  • 3686 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 03:49 PM

looking good. are you going to re-weigh the camper when its complete? using some better quality materials id think that it would weigh a bit more....maybe? looking forward to the finished product.

www.thetclife.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In