20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Tillerman

Tillerman

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 425 posts
  • Local time: 07:50 PM
  • State/Province or Region:B.C.
  • Interests:Kayaking, Dragonboating, Fishing, Camping, Gardening and of course, wine making too!
  • Camper Brand:2007 Snowbird 9'6 Superslide
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 7.3 SC 4X4
  • Name (Public):Tillerman

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:47 AM

Hi everyone,

Some may remember me as Artum Snowbird, but now I till (steer) a dragonboat for serious fun, so I will become Tillerman. Seems we are about a week away from owning a new to us camper, and I think I will be needing some Vision 81 wheels and tires. We tried our hand at owning a Class C, but miss the back roads and the manuverability of the truck.

I have been considering Michelins, and Toyos as possibilities for my 2000 F350 7.3 SRW SC 4 by 4.

Putting 245 tires onto the truck will decrease the RPM by about 7% according to the revolutions per mile charts compared to the 265 16's on there now. Will that cause any problems?

Some have posted about the smell from Toyos. Not sure whether that is present in the 19.5 tires or not... any comments? Michelins are supposed to be a little harder, but will go a lot further than others... if I actually put the miles on to wear them out. Are they worth the extra $$$.

I'll be buying tires locally here on Vancouver Island because of the warranty and free rotations offered, so getting wheels, caps, and nuts from the US seems to be the only option.

Also, I have read a post about needing more braking because the tires and wheels are heavier than the 16's. Not sure whether I believe that or not... does the rotating weight have any bearing on the braking, or is it just the overall mass of the vehicle and camper attempting to stop?

Looking forward to old friends and being a part of NATCOA again.

Mike

#2 OFFLINE   Budster

Budster

Founding Member - Former Director

• Founder
  • 1697 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:Lazy Daze 30IB
  • Name (Public):Jerry

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:37 AM

welcome back Mike (I still have my 'C'). On my 2500HD I put the Visions and 225 Hankook tires and did notice a difference in braking especially at speed (+50) it took what I perceived as more pressure. I did have to do a panic stop once and the ABS seemed to work fine. The 225s gave me 62mph spedometer at 65mph GPS. I noticed no difference in mpg. The biggest best difference was in the handling. Good luck with your new unit!

ymmv,
Jerry

00 30IB Lazy Daze
Mira Loma, CA
Visit My Website

#3 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:47 AM

Hi Mike Welcome back to the TC world. I have the 245/70R 19.5 Toyo Tires on my rig 2000 F250 HD and yes they decrease the RPMS by about what you stated. I have not noticed any difference in performance but I have the 6 speed manual Transmission also. As far as stopping with out the camper I didn't notice any thing different and like you said with the camper you just have more weight. The speedometer will not be the same as with 16 inch tires. I use to have a speed chart that showed the difference but I can't find it now. I think I got it off of the Rickson site. Again Mike & Carol looking forward to hearing the progress on your new camper.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#4 OFFLINE   wthattny

wthattny

Former Director

• NATCOA Members
  • 428 posts
  • Local time: 08:50 PM
  • State/Province or Region:CO
  • Camper Brand:Host
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bill

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

My only word of caution is to make sure you have the room to use chains if that is a necessity in your area. I had Michelin 225's and could still use my chains, but now that I have 245's there's no room on the front tires. In fact, even after trimming the air dam, my tires still rub the rear side of the front wheel well when I turn sharply.

My truck is a 2005 Chevy.

2006 Host Ranier 9.5 2005

Silverado 2500, Duramax, 4x4, SRW, CC, LB, AFE air intake 

Rickson 19.5 steel wheels

Michelin 245R70/19.5 XDS2

Torklift Fastguns, Superhitch, SuperTruss, Supersprings

Rancho 9000 shocks

Federico (Hellwig) sway bars

Firestone Ride Rites

Onan Camp Power LP 2500W

Go Power 1000W inverter

Powerfilm 60W solar panel

The Rig 2011

Proud father of a U.S.A.F. Staff Sgt and a Biomedical Engineer.

#5 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1758 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2003 Bigfoot 30C10.11SL
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck
  • Name (Public):Rick and Susanne

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

Mike
Ask Lancelot how he likes his new Goodyears, I saw them in the spring and with the tread pattern they have it may be another choice for you if you are looking for traction.

#6 OFFLINE   vanceman

vanceman

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:golfing water and snow skiing, hiking and biking, gardening camping fishing
  • Camper Brand:2012 northern lite 10-2 cdse
  • Truck Make & Model:03 dodge ram 3500 srw 285 19.5 wheels and tires, road master sway bar, air lift air bags in cab controller, stable loads, tork lift tie downs,pack brake exhaust, ats tranny,4 inch exhaust ats manifold ,aurora 3000 turbo ,afe air intake ,
  • Name (Public):don

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:14 AM

I have a 03 dodge 3500 srw I put the 19.5 michlien xde 265s on my truck with the rickson wheels needed a 2 inch spacer kit on the front.Didnt notice any stopping problems without camper on My gps says im 5mph faster than what speeddometer reads.I love the tread pattern on the michleins they sing a little down the road doesnt bother me at all.The ups pkg car truck I drive have 245 19.5 goodyear rsd on them they seem to wear good havent used them in the snow yet.Welcome back

#7 OFFLINE   Lancealot

Lancealot

lancealot

• NATCOA Members
  • 585 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Interests:TCing , fly fishing , drag racing ,
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 f-550 XLT crew/4x4
  • Name (Public):Brian

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:02 PM

Mike
Ask Lancelot how he likes his new Goodyears, I saw them in the spring and with the tread pattern they have it may be another choice for you if you are looking for traction.

The tires are Bridgestone M724's , not Goodyear. The evening I was showing Farmer was the friday evening in the Walmart parking lot as many TCs were arriving to get ready for our
wonderful Spring Caravan everybody was welcoming each other , I can see why the mix up in tire brands . At that time what tire anybody was using was second to greeting old and new friends .Brian

CAMPING  where you spend a small fortune , to live like a homeless person .

#8 OFFLINE   Max Chill

Max Chill

Poster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F250

Posted 19 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

The tires are Bridgestone M724's , not Goodyear. The evening I was showing Farmer was the friday evening in the Walmart parking lot as many TCs were arriving to get ready for our
wonderful Spring Caravan everybody was welcoming each other , I can see why the mix up in tire brands . At that time what tire anybody was using was second to greeting old and new friends .Brian

I roll on the Bridgestones also and I am pleased with the performance. Dont have any prior experience to compare but they handled some heavy red mud fairly well (was it the tires or the jockey?). Yes, they do sing a tune down the highway, I tell my wife its a safety whine.
2006 F250 PSD Lariat KR CC LB
Air bags
Overloads
Upgraded sway bars
Rickson 19.5 w/Bridgestones
Host Tahoe loaded

#9 OFFLINE   Harleycb

Harleycb

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Wyoming
  • Interests:Harleys and Horses
  • Camper Brand:Snowriver
  • Truck Make & Model:'03 Ford F350 CC SRW

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:59 AM

I have the Toyo M608Z's - took quite some time to break them in with the aggressive tread pattern. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't pursue a M&S type tread, just a good All Season type. I've lost nearly 2-3 mpg with these tires and almost a few strokes as these tires new tend to wander all over....

2003 SRW F350 PSD, Banks Exhaust, 50 hp DP Tuner, ATS turbo housing, AFe Stage II intake.
2007 Snowriver 8'10" w/Polar Cub AC, 19.5" Rickson w/Toyo M608Z

#10 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

Good point HarleyCB yes mine did wander all over also for the first 1000 plus miles now all seem to be ok have the same tires as you have I think a all season like you said is the way to go..
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#11 OFFLINE   Tillerman

Tillerman

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 425 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, Dragonboating, Fishing, Camping, Gardening and of course, wine making too!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

It's certainly been a great discussion. I am not sure yet which way to go. Looking at the Rickson website, there are Firestone FD690+ and Goodyear G647RSS.

Rickson

Both of those ones have a more moderate tread pattern and we are not one's to aggressively need 4 by 4 or deep lugs here.

Comments?

#12 OFFLINE   sooty1234

sooty1234

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 888 posts
  • Local time: 06:50 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Camper Brand:Retro 177se
  • Truck Make & Model:Colorado
  • Name (Public):Jim

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

I have the Toyo M608Z's - took quite some time to break them in with the aggressive tread pattern. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't pursue a M&S type tread, just a good All Season type. I've lost nearly 2-3 mpg with these tires and almost a few strokes as these tires new tend to wander all over....

I installed Toyo 19.5's with the highway tread. They wander so bad that they were dangerous to drive. After breaking them in for about 10000 miles the dealer took them back and installed the current tires that I have now. The of wandering went away immediately. I have driven them about 30000 miles and the tires have about 60% of the tread left. I could not believe the difference in the drivability between these two brands of tires. YMMV, Jim

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble. It's what he thinks he knows, but just ain't so!" Will Rogers.

#13 OFFLINE   Tillerman

Tillerman

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:24 PM

Thanks Jim,

Thats what I was hoping to hear. I have Michelins on the truck now and they are amazing. Will be getting them again I reckon unless anyone else pops in with a better recomendation.

Mike

#14 OFFLINE   Harleycb

Harleycb

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

Been thinking of changing over from the Toyo's and saw these Bridgestones on Ricksons - Anyone have experience with these?

Posted Image

2003 SRW F350 PSD, Banks Exhaust, 50 hp DP Tuner, ATS turbo housing, AFe Stage II intake.

#15 OFFLINE   Harleycb

Harleycb

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

Been thinking of changing over from the Toyo's and saw these Bridgestones on Ricksons - Anyone have experience with these?

Posted Image

#16 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1584 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:54 AM

If the Michelins are amazing to you, why step down to something others seem to complain about from time to time. Such as..smell, noise, wandering, tread wear, etc. You've proven to yourself that you are satisfied with the tire against all others are compared.

You seldom hear people say...My Michelins are as good as the old May-Pops I used to have. It's usually the other way around.

I just went BACK from 19.5's to 17 Michelins. I had Toyos on them. Now, the 17's ride like I'm on glass. The steering wheel has practically no road feedback when on a good smooth road.

To me it was a mistake trying the 19.5's, but ONE REASON I CHANGED back might be odd to some people. I practiced changing a flat and discovered it was too hard for me to do.

They were so heavy, (something like 110 pounds each) I found they have to be rolled into place and wiggled onto the studs. You don't pick one of these tires up and stick it on the lugs. And, if you aren't careful, they will man-handle you and knock you down when rolling them around. Getting the spare in and out from under the truck was a real ordeal. Also the spare BARELY fit in the opening under the truck bed. It had to be put in EXACTLY aligned and practically took two people. One aligning, and one cranking it up with the cable retainer.

I told my wife..."I can just see myself trying to change one of these out on some soft, muddy, dirt road at a hundred degrees in the middle of nowhere with no cellphone coverage to call a service." It just wasn't worth the mental worry about doing that.

YMMV

#17 OFFLINE   Max Chill

Max Chill

Poster

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F250

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Posted Image

The Bridgestones are what I run. First set of 19.5 tires so I dont have any comparison details. They had a short breakin period approx 4-5k where I experienced some wandering. Nothing to serious. Drove into some serious mud and was expecting to be stuck the whole time. But a combination of weight, tires and the jockey got us through. The tires sing down the highway, a bit louder on some surfaces than others. The 6.0 drowns most sounds out anyway.
I stayed off the snow and ice last year, but will be carefully trying out the winter driving this season. Probably with a set of snow chains handy. Hope this helps!
2006 F250 PSD Lariat KR CC LB
Air bags
Overloads
Upgraded sway bars
Rickson 19.5 w/Bridgestones
Host Tahoe loaded

#18 OFFLINE   Tillerman

Tillerman

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

If the Michelins are amazing to you, why step down to something others seem to complain about from time to time. Such as..smell, noise, wandering, tread wear, etc. You've proven to yourself that you are satisfied with the tire against all others are compared.

You seldom hear people say...My Michelins are as good as the old May-Pops I used to have. It's usually the other way around.

I just went BACK from 19.5's to 17 Michelins. I had Toyos on them. Now, the 17's ride like I'm on glass. The steering wheel has practically no road feedback when on a good smooth road.

To me it was a mistake trying the 19.5's, but ONE REASON I CHANGED back might be odd to some people. I practiced changing a flat and discovered it was too hard for me to do.

They were so heavy, (something like 110 pounds each) I found they have to be rolled into place and wiggled onto the studs. You don't pick one of these tires up and stick it on the lugs. And, if you aren't careful, they will man-handle you and knock you down when rolling them around. Getting the spare in and out from under the truck was a real ordeal. Also the spare BARELY fit in the opening under the truck bed. It had to be put in EXACTLY aligned and practically took two people. One aligning, and one cranking it up with the cable retainer.

I told my wife..."I can just see myself trying to change one of these out on some soft, muddy, dirt road at a hundred degrees in the middle of nowhere with no cellphone coverage to call a service." It just wasn't worth the mental worry about doing that.

YMMV

Aye Dougie, but we are talking two different beasts here. The 16 inch LTX Michelins are quite legendary and wear well on the truck, but it's carrying capacity we need. The 19.5's give us that safety margin.

Is smooth as glass what you want? Not sure whether you like that or not?

My next question might be... "Has anyone ever had to change a 19.5 tire because of a flat?" You have certainly raised a good solid, heavy point! I have not changed a flat tire in about 15 years, cripes, maybe 20 years, maybe just lucky.

The siping in the Michelins, and the tread pattern may cause the tires to act squirrely, or maybe not. Someone told me the Michelins may give a bit harsher ride than the Toyo's, but will likely last longer.

It's like campers. Just because we are happy with what we have, we still love to look and consider other ones.

Mike

#19 OFFLINE   atchafalaya_man

atchafalaya_man

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 1584 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Louisiana
  • Camper Brand:2004 Lance 1130, custom entrance deck
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Quad 3500 Dually/Cummins
  • Name (Public):Doug, aka Dougie

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

but it's carrying capacity we need. The 19.5's give us that safety margin. No argument there. I've often thought that's how trucks SHOULD come from the factory.

"Has anyone ever had to change a 19.5 tire because of a flat?" I must be lucky too because I haven't had any flats in ...forever. And, I too thought.."These 19.5's will never get a flat". They are thick and tough. I had a dually...and therefore had six tires to deal with. The back ones were a royal pain to deal with. Getting that first tire off was ok. The inner tire was difficult. Nevertheless, I'm not bad mouthing the tires/wheels. I just chose to not keep them for (AMONG OTHER REASONS) that one I cited about changing the flat.

#20 OFFLINE   Snowy Bird

Snowy Bird

Founding Member

• NATCOA Members
  • 2411 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:2000' 9'6 Snowbird
  • Truck Make & Model:2012 F350 DRW diesel
  • Name (Public):Joanne

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Aye Dougie, but we are talking two different beasts here. The 16 inch LTX Michelins are quite legendary and wear well on the truck, but it's carrying capacity we need. The 19.5's give us that safety margin.

Is smooth as glass what you want? Not sure whether you like that or not?

My next question might be... "Has anyone ever had to change a 19.5 tire because of a flat?" You have certainly raised a good solid, heavy point! I have not changed a flat tire in about 15 years, cripes, maybe 20 years, maybe just lucky.

The siping in the Michelins, and the tread pattern may cause the tires to act squirrely, or maybe not. Someone told me the Michelins may give a bit harsher ride than the Toyo's, but will likely last longer.

It's like campers. Just because we are happy with what we have, we still love to look and consider other ones.

Mike

Mike,
I have no experience with the 19.5 tire size, but I can tell you the Michelins are the way to go with everything we have changed them to. Our 2000' F350 was an amazing difference in Alberta winters from the OEM General tires to the Michelins. Nothing wrong with the OEM's (we got 100,000 trouble free kms out of them). They (the Michlelins) handle amazing in the snow, not that it's a worry for you though...LOL
Also, put the Michelin Hydro Edge on my trike and OMG what a difference from the stickin Cooper tires! They grip in the rain and I mean really grip.
We just changed to a new battery today (had the OEM Motorcraft battery in for 10 years (yes, 10 years), never left me stranded and never plugged in the truck in 10 years).
It still had a 95 (whatever charging thingy left on the battery).
Fords Rock, Just wish we could afford a new F350.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In