Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Local time: 10:45 AM
  • Camper Brand:Adventurer
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500HD D/A CC
  • Name (Public):BillTex

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

I would like to hear any stories of accidents due to hauling a heavy camper. I am sure there are plenty of blown tires. What about overloaded axles giving way, or suspensions and frames failing? The discussions on here have some warning others about being overweight and needing a dually. I have yet to read posts citing accidents caused by SRW trucks with heavy campers. Are there any examples to cite?
I have plenty of upgrades to my F250 and I am comfortable at 65 mph down smooth roads. Is this a false sense of security?

Prime example of too much camper for the truck;
http://www.youtube.c...1&v=ClkqtQJHAbA

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson 

#42 OFFLINE   SailorJoe

SailorJoe

Poster

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Local time: 07:45 AM
  • State/Province or Region:OR
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F250 SRW
  • Name (Public):Joe

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

Well this has been a great thread and I am pleased if my posts have saved a few people some grief down the road (pun intended). The only thing I ever regretted adding because of the expense to usefulness ratio were the air bags. I did those first on someone's recommendation, but definitely the most valuable thing I did was adding the extra rear leaf springs, boosting it to the equivalent of a 350. These are NOT the same as overload springs. You won't get the same stability with those especially on rough roads where the bouncing takes the weight off the springs at times. The extra leaf adds a rock solid feel that is consistent under all conditions. The downside is that the ride is a lot stiffer than normal when you take the TC off and are just driving the bare truck around. Speed bumps will rattle your teeth. But when the truck is fully loaded, well the difference is measured in light years. And truthfully I scarcely use the air bags any more. Since I paid a grand for them with on board compressor, I feel compelled to use them a little, and you don't wanna ride around with them on empty, but in hindsight, had I done the rear leafs and other upgrades first I would NOT have spent the dough on the air bags.

But each of the other upgrades clearly enhanced my roadability, and I would NEVER drive around on tires where my load exceeds the specified range. As others have pointed out, your tires' reliability decreases substantially with age... and especially if the vehicle sits much of the time. Goodyear specifically states you should never let any tires sit in one spot for more than 90 days without moving... I take them at their word. And I thought the one recommendation to steer clear of utility trailers was a good one... I am personally expanding that to steer clear of ALL trailers, RV, boat, horse and utility... anything that might be sitting around a lot of the time, and ESPECIALLY all single axle trailers. Tandem axles give you a major margin of safety, but single axle trailers have none.

I learned my lesson. Check this photo:
http://www.LasBrisas...os/shredded.jpg

That was a boat trailer tire on my sailboat that was only 2-3 years old which I was towing behind my TC! And it was a single axle trailer! Scared the S**T out of me. No accidents, and I had a spare, so I upgraded my tires at the next town. But after that incident, I upgraded my boat trailer to a tandem axle setup, and when I realized how overloaded my E-range tires were, I immediately began investigation on a heavier duty set which led me to the michelin 19.5's with the 110 lb inflation pressure. I haven't detected too much difference in speedo calibration over the old monster 18's by the way. still within a few mph at 60.

By the way, we have moved up to a new RV:
http://www.TheAnneMarie.com/windseeker

A unique setup that allows us to live in the luxury of a 40' motorhome (actually the equivalent of a 50 footer as you will see) yet allows us to tow our boat PLUS bring along a fun little car to drive and to launch and pull the boat out with. Check it out!

Since this is our new rig, we're now selling the truck camper. We'd like to sell it as a package but will consider offers for the two separate pieces. See our web page on the TC for more info:
http://www.LasBrisasTexas.com/F250

#43 OFFLINE   Harried Harry

Harried Harry

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • Local time: 08:45 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Camping, traveling, reading, geocaching, fishing (new effort), gardening, DIY stuff, farming pecans, meeting people.
  • Camper Brand:Lance 915 mfg in October 2007.
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 2500 QuadCab 4x4 Laramie LB w/6.7 CTD; Torklift; Happijac ties, Hellwig Big Wig; Rancho 9000LX, Bullet liner, Husky goose-neck
  • Name (Public):Harry

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:15 PM

Very, very nice unit. I don't know if you have the tire pressure gauges on your tires but I highly recommend them. Install a portable air source sou you can keep the tires correctly aired up. Although you may not be new to using the Class A motor home, I do recommend you place all the heavy stuff low down. A few years ago I witnessed an accident caused by a tire blow-out. The wife was driving and I don't think she had been trained on how to handle the heavy motor home when a steering tire blew. The result was the RV, which was traveling at about 75 mph on the Interstate, crossed six lanes of traffic (including the North bound) and ended up about 100 yards in a field. The interior cabinets had fallen and stuff was everywhere. The lesson my wife and I received from this incident is if we ever change to a Class A or a Class C motorhome we will take driving lessons so we are prepared to handle the differences. Some trucking companies provide this type of training for a fee. Well worth the money, in my opinion. Of course, you may know a trucker who would be willing to teach you the rules and how to be safe on the road.
Best wishes.

#44 OFFLINE   SailorJoe

SailorJoe

Poster

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

thanks for the heads up... On my new rig I'm running nice new Goodyear 255/70r22.5's with max pressure of 120 psi. So not too worried about blowouts. But maintaining correct tire pressure is one of the key issues in safe operation and long tire life. Lots online about that...

So yeah I wanted to get an onboard compressor, one capable of pumping up tires carrying 110 or 120 PSI at a reasonable speed. I had purchased a Q Industries one for about $80 from O'Reilly and they are just junk. No one should waste their money. Now I am gonna get a much better one and trying to decide between 12v or 110. Like the VIAIR 40047 portable Air Compressor. Amazon has them for about $300 with free shipping. Or... I was thinking of going with 110v where you get a little more punch for the buck - like a Rol-Air FC2002 2 HP. Since we almost exclusively stay in RV parks for any length of time with full hookups, I'm not sure I need or want a 12v unit. I would be interested in anyone else's experience with this

#45 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts
  • Local time: 06:45 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2003 Bigfoot 30C10.11SL
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck
  • Name (Public):Rick and Susanne

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

If I had the room, I would get a 110 volt compressor with a built in storage tank.
Also some goes to 135 to 150 psi.

#46 OFFLINE   ksc8850

ksc8850

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Ohio
  • Interests:Fresh Water Fishing, Campfires and Good Food!
  • Camper Brand:Real Lite HS-1810 by Palomino
  • Truck Make & Model:4th Gen. Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 4x4
  • Name (Public):Ken

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

I am having a Genny box built for my TC...the guy doing it suggested I install a pancake compressor while I'm at it so I will always be prepared...done. I bought a 150# Craftsman that's a little more shapely than the typical pancake.
<p class='bbc_center'><span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'><span style='font-size: 10px;'><em class='bbc'>Ram 3500 CrewCab, </em></span><span style='font-size: 10px;'><em class='bbc'><em class='bbc'>DRW </em></em></span><span style='font-size: 10px;'><em class='bbc'>4X4, TL TieDowns, SuperHitch, SuperTruss, FastGuns, StableLoads, AirLift Bags (+wireless in-cab controller) and Rancho 9000s carrying a Real Lite HS-1810 (and sometimes towing an 18' Starcraft Super Fisherman). </em></span></span></p><p class='bbc_center'><br /> </p>

#47 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:57 PM

There's a couple projects I've seen done on Cumminsforums.com that involved modifying an older Chrysler A/C pump to become an onboard Air compressor, simple on-off switch to engage the magnetic clutches in the pump to reduce drag when not in use.

From Gots_a_sol's project.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#48 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:59 PM

They also used the same style ac unit on 70s fords.

#49 OFFLINE   mtnkwby

mtnkwby

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Interests:Camping and 4x4's
  • Camper Brand:Looking
  • Truck Make & Model:Looking
  • Name (Public):Chuck & Ruth

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:11 AM

I have a Viar 2 gallon 12v compressor that I used to carry when we had our motorhome. I think it was around $300, and is 150psi unit with a 100% duty cycle. It worked pretty good for the 22.5's

Currently Tent Campers

2006 CR-V

1963 IH Scout 80 DD

1964 IH Scout 80 (project)

1978 CB750K bagger

#50 OFFLINE   blackmaxx

blackmaxx

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:Bigfoot 2500 9.4 SB
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC K2500HD

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:30 AM

Wow! That is a 4500 lb camper (loaded) on a 3/4 ton. No wonder you did the springs and tires, and that the airbags were not as effective as you would have liked.

#51 OFFLINE   SailorJoe

SailorJoe

Poster

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:34 AM

• Yeah, well you can see on the Lance website here
    http://www.lancecamp.../truck-campers/
    that Lance states which campers are compatible with which trucks... when I boiught mine it showed the 981 Max specifically... now it shows a comparable model the 992 at 9'11" floor length and 3,405 pounds as "Compatible with most 250/2500 and larger trucks." And in fact that is the dealers were telling me as well, and I specifically called Lance who confirmed this. But fact of the matter is, that even unloaded 3400 pounds is about 1.85 tons, so who is kidding who? But with the various upgrades I did, the truck now handles the load fine and I feel quite safe (see the clearance in the wheel wells as one indication)

Attached Thumbnails

• lance-side.jpg

#52 OFFLINE   coasties

coasties

Poster

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Nipomo, Ca
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-250 Crew Cab
  • Name (Public):Rolling Thunder

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

Brakes are a big problem. After an 18 wheeler did a u-turn right in front of me as I was cresting a hill on a curve of a 4 lane highway (disaster was avoided by going off the right side of the road and barley missing the end of the traIler), I decided to get the Banks Speedbrake I had been thinking about. It's expensive, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the long run. Now I can go down any mountain (with a camper & trailer) and never touch my brakes.
Drive far enough today, so you can't go back untill tomorrow.

#53 OFFLINE   SailorJoe

SailorJoe

Poster

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

I don't know much about Banks Speedbrakes but our new mega Coach diesel has 'exhaust brakes' and those are great...They really pull you down in a hurry just by taking your foot off the throttle. The Ford comes with "towing mode" and when you engage that it is basically the same thing. Keeps me from riding the brakes all the way down the mountain passes. Never had any problem with the Ford's brakes though

#54 OFFLINE   Harried Harry

Harried Harry

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 414 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Camping, traveling, reading, geocaching, fishing (new effort), gardening, DIY stuff, farming pecans, meeting people.
  • Camper Brand:Lance 915 mfg in October 2007.
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 2500 QuadCab 4x4 Laramie LB w/6.7 CTD; Torklift; Happijac ties, Hellwig Big Wig; Rancho 9000LX, Bullet liner, Husky goose-neck
  • Name (Public):Harry

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

I'm interested in all of your thoughts. I was at the wrecking yard today; he had a 1993 3/4 ton Dodge with the springs. If I want the entire rear leaf spring set, he'll sell them for $125. Currently, I have the Dodge QuadCab 2500 with the 5000# SuperSprings. My question: would adding two or more new leaf springs beef up the truck to where I don't need to worry about the overload? I know I will be changing the tires to a heavier tire, but I can't do that for a couple of months since my wife insists we pay for Christmas first. If I don't add the leaf springs, would air bags be better?

#55 OFFLINE   SailorJoe

SailorJoe

Poster

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hey Grand Potentate. Maybe someone else in the forum can provide a reliable answer to this... I wouldn't be qualified. But if I were you, I would make a call to Oregon Spring in Portland. 503 234-9611 Talk to Mike there. They added the extra leaf spring to my Ford F250. I was so impressed that I had them do the same thing to my new mega coach. Makes all the difference. But I know there is a bit of a science to it. Like on the coach, he had to comb the country and order a special pair of leaves and modify them a bit for the application. The F250 was an 'off the shelf' item as I recall. But I would take Mike's word as gospel on the topic... that way you won't do something you regret later on.

#56 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

There is the probability of steel being a little more reliable then rubber.

On the use of the 1993 springs, springs do sag, depends on the life they have had.

We have used spring shops in the past, for our farm trucks, it's their business to correctly advise your project.

Most of the commercial trucks now use bags only, and they seem to last, the big plus is self leveling for what ever you carry,
I would love to have that feature on my own vehicle, the best ride possible.
I'm still buying lottery tickets.
Rick

#57 OFFLINE   SailorJoe

SailorJoe

Poster

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

I will make one last comment on the topic... since I'm sure to be an ex truck camper guy in favor of the new monster
http://www.TheAnneMarie.com/windseeker
As I mentioned previously I went with air bags first as that was the first suggestion I got. The advantage there is that you can adjust the height of your ride (though not particularly the stiffness) on the fly wjhether loaded or unloaded. The disadvantage is that you don't really want to lift your CoG at all... you don't want her sagging in the rear, and air bags can compensate for that, but you cannot really stiffen the ride much so you get more bounce and sway than would be desirable when the camper is loaded. That's what I found. I was not happy with the stability of my F250 after adding the air bags. That's when I went to Oregon Spring and added a extra leaf at their suggestion. This made a HUGE difference and the truck doesn't sag in the rear at all when the camper is loaded and stability is much improved. Also adding a sway bar and Lance's front struts helped a lot as well. Anyway at this point I have $1000 in the air bags with onboard conpressor and I really do not use them at all. The only downlside to the stiffer springs is that it;s a pretty stiff ride when you unload the camper. You have to really watch for those damn speed bumps!

#58 OFFLINE   Rick1985

Rick1985

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 538 posts
  • Local time: 09:45 AM
  • State/Province or Region:NJ
  • Camper Brand:Fleetwood
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Ram 3500

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:04 AM

Would you happen to have a link to that project? I have that setup on my CJ and I have run an impact wrench off of it. I would like to see how they finished up the belts to the bottom pully.

Rick

There's a couple projects I've seen done on Cumminsforums.com that involved modifying an older Chrysler A/C pump to become an onboard Air compressor, simple on-off switch to engage the magnetic clutches in the pump to reduce drag when not in use.

From Gots_a_sol's project.

[img]http://i14.photobuck...ge/d1e1e2f6.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i14.photobuck...ge/1e6f3fbb.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i14.photobuck...ge/6d46c58e.jpg[/img]

#59 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

I'll have to look it up and get back to ya. The link to it's several pages back now on CumminsForum.com :). As I recall, he fabbed in a Ford Bronco V-belt tensioner to snug the belt between the custom pulley on the alternator and the pulley on the compressor.

Posted Image

I'm interested in all of your thoughts. I was at the wrecking yard today; he had a 1993 3/4 ton Dodge with the springs. If I want the entire rear leaf spring set, he'll sell them for $125. Currently, I have the Dodge QuadCab 2500 with the 5000# SuperSprings. My question: would adding two or more new leaf springs beef up the truck to where I don't need to worry about the overload? I know I will be changing the tires to a heavier tire, but I can't do that for a couple of months since my wife insists we pay for Christmas first. If I don't add the leaf springs, would air bags be better?

Only problem is, Post-93 Dodges use longer springs and different mounts than 93 and earlier rigs. I believe 94 and up have 3' wide springs where 93 and earlier are 2.5"

You could look into the BDS add-a-leaf kit or others like it that add an extra thick leaf to the bottom of yer spring pack. I did this on my half ton and really boosted the replacement spring pack's load capacity.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#60 OFFLINE   Mooring product

Mooring product

Poster

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • State/Province or Region:FL
  • Truck Make & Model:2003 F250
  • Name (Public):Pete

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

You guys are all crazy for overloading your trucks. lol
Posted Image

Edited by Mooring product, 23 December 2011 - 11:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In