99 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Tuck

Tuck

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time: 07:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Colorado
  • Interests:flyfishing, camping, bodysurfing.
  • Camper Brand:Lance 981
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500 HD 4X4
  • Name (Public):Tuck

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:09 PM

Nstate, sorry about your camper jack accident, it was a Deja Vu moment for me when I saw the pictures. I got that same sick feeling in my gut as I did when the same thing happened to me in Mexico in March.
Don't take the "arm chair truck camper" remarks seriously, I for one know that the jack failure was totally out of your control.

As Paul stated in his post yesterday I received a settlement from my Mexican insurance company to repair the damage to my truck and the damage to my Lance 981. The company refused to pay for the replacement of the jacks. Their position was that the mechanical failure of the Atwood jacks caused the accident and therefore were not covered.

I took my camper to the Lance factory for the damage repair and they did a good job of fixing the damage in the time they stated. I declined to have them replace the failed jacks as I do not trust that the exact same problem would not happen again.

The sevice manager at Lance had a few things to say that I think I should share with the forum.

1. He stated that he had never heard of or seen an Atwood jack failure on a Lance camper before (I gave him two web sites to check out).
2. He said he felt that the accident was caused by the fact that I tried to off load on a grassy area without the prescribed twelve inch square 3/4 inch plywood base supports noted in the Lance manual.
3. He said I should never try to off load on grass, dirt, gravel or sand (I'm sure he would have added snow, ice and slopes).
4. I asked him if he would like to see the failed jacks since he had never heard of this happening before, he declined.
5. He stated that campers have a tendency to "walk" when they are raised or lowered off of the vehicle and that this may have caused the problem.

I have since returned to Colorado and ordered and received my new Stable-lift jack system. I can't say enough good about the quality of the product or the customer support I have received from Mont and his outstanding crew @ Stable-lift. I received my jacks the day they said they would be delivered, I followed the instructions and with two phone calls for clarification on procedures I have my new jacks installed.
It took me parts of two weekends to install (about 16 hours).

After experiencing the Atwood jacks failure on my camper and reading about and hearing about several others I have come to the conclusion that the problem is caused by several factors;
1. I think the swing out brackets hinge point becomes loose with use and allows the jack post to "walk" out of a plumb position when raised or lowered causing lateral stress beyond the designed load and
thereby collapse.
2. If the camper can not be off loaded safely on dirt, gravel, grass or uneven ground how can it really be called a camper? After all I have only seen paved campgrounds in California.
3. I think that as long as the camper manfactures continue to blame the camper owners for the deficient jack assemblies they are not addressing the problem.
4. I hope the companies that make these large heavy campers make changes to there front jacks before someone is badly hurt or worst.
5. I have not seen or heard of a failure other than on the front jacks and with swing out brackets installed.

I'm very happy with my new Stable-lifts and intend to head off road to my favorite flyfishing spot next weekend, and yes I intend to remove my camper on dirt so I can drive the truck upstream.
Nstate please feel free to contact me with any questions. tuck@tbonham.com

#42 OFFLINE   mypops

mypops

Poster

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Local time: 06:08 AM
  • Camper Brand:Northern Lite
  • Truck Make & Model:Chev 2500HD

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

All of the discussion has centered around the tube failing. What about the possibility that the jack screw assembly that lifts the camper failed? That would allow the front jack to start down, shifting the load to that corner and causing the tube to buckle. Externally it would appear that the tube had just failed but the cause would be 'hidden'. The accident would still be chalked up to jack failure. Whatever the cause it is not a nice picture and my empathy goes out to Nstate.

#43 OFFLINE   Tuck

Tuck

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 11 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Colorado
  • Interests:flyfishing, camping, bodysurfing.
  • Camper Brand:Lance 981
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500 HD 4X4
  • Name (Public):Tuck

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Interesting point, the screw inside my failed jack was broken at the bend. I thought it happened as a result of the tube failure. Very difficult to tell what was cause and what was effect.

#44 OFFLINE   Halibutman

Halibutman

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Camper Brand:Lance 830
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

insurance covered it from what I understand from Tuck. He cut the jack open after & it was not corroded. he is getting a stable lift. he emailed 2 photos of them loading his camper back on the truck after the truck was fixed. I have posted an edited version of his email. (I edited out about 1/2, because some of the information he may not want posted, so i just posted the basic outline of events.)

I just got back to Colorado last night so I thought I would fill you in on
what has happened since I saw you last.

We stayed in Patzcauro for three weeks while dealing with the truck repairs.
Our Mexican insurance company made arrangements for the truck to be hauled
to Morelia to a body shop for the repairs the Monday after the camper fell
onto it.

We finally got word from the body shop 10 days later that they could not
locate a new 8 footbed available in Mexico and that they would need to order
one from the US. Approximate delivery time 4 to 6 weeks.

I paid the body shop $2,000.00 pesos ($ 160.00 US) to straighten the
bed so I could reload the camper. When I went to pick up the truck in
Morelia I was totally shocked by the job they had done in one day. The bed
of my truck looks almost as good as it did before the accident. There is one
small dent just in front of the wheel well and that's the only damage that
is now visible. '

I delivered the camper to Lance in Lancaster CA on April 27, Mike Willams the service manager said it would take 10 to 14 days to repair.

They did repair the damage to the camper nose at a cost of $ 2,500.00 that will be covered by my Mexican Insurance Co. My Mexican
Insurance Co. will not cover the expense of replacing the jacks.

I have ordered a set of Stable-lift jacks from Mont in Kalispell he said I should not have a problem putting them on myself. He has
documents from 150+ people that have experienced jack failures on different campers including several in which the people were seriously injured.

Image IPB

Image IPB

Nstate, sorry about your camper jack accident, it was a Deja Vu moment for me when I saw the pictures. I got that same sick feeling in my gut as I did when the same thing happened to me in Mexico in March.
Don't take the "arm chair truck camper" remarks seriously, I for one know that the jack failure was totally out of your control.

As Paul stated in his post yesterday I received a settlement from my Mexican insurance company to repair the damage to my truck and the damage to my Lance 981. The company refused to pay for the replacement of the jacks. Their position was that the mechanical failure of the Atwood jacks caused the accident and therefore were not covered.

I took my camper to the Lance factory for the damage repair and they did a good job of fixing the damage in the time they stated. I declined to have them replace the failed jacks as I do not trust that the exact same problem would not happen again.

The sevice manager at Lance had a few things to say that I think I should share with the forum.

1. He stated that he had never heard of or seen an Atwood jack failure on a Lance camper before (I gave him two web sites to check out).
2. He said he felt that the accident was caused by the fact that I tried to off load on a grassy area without the prescribed twelve inch square 3/4 inch plywood base supports noted in the Lance manual.
3. He said I should never try to off load on grass, dirt, gravel or sand (I'm sure he would have added snow, ice and slopes).
4. I asked him if he would like to see the failed jacks since he had never heard of this happening before, he declined.
5. He stated that campers have a tendency to "walk" when they are raised or lowered off of the vehicle and that this may have caused the problem.

I have since returned to Colorado and ordered and received my new Stable-lift jack system. I can't say enough good about the quality of the product or the customer support I have received from Mont and his outstanding crew @ Stable-lift. I received my jacks the day they said they would be delivered, I followed the instructions and with two phone calls for clarification on procedures I have my new jacks installed.
It took me parts of two weekends to install (about 16 hours).

After experiencing the Atwood jacks failure on my camper and reading about and hearing about several others I have come to the conclusion that the problem is caused by several factors;
1. I think the swing out brackets hinge point becomes loose with use and allows the jack post to "walk" out of a plumb position when raised or lowered causing lateral stress beyond the designed load and
thereby collapse.
2. If the camper can not be off loaded safely on dirt, gravel, grass or uneven ground how can it really be called a camper? After all I have only seen paved campgrounds in California.
3. I think that as long as the camper manfactures continue to blame the camper owners for the deficient jack assemblies they are not addressing the problem.
4. I hope the companies that make these large heavy campers make changes to there front jacks before someone is badly hurt or worst.
5. I have not seen or heard of a failure other than on the front jacks and with swing out brackets installed.

I'm very happy with my new Stable-lifts and intend to head off road to my favorite flyfishing spot next weekend, and yes I intend to remove my camper on dirt so I can drive the truck upstream.
Nstate please feel free to contact me with any questions. tuck@tbonham.com

So let me be sure I have this right. We really do not know one tiny bit more than we knew in the beginning. The insurance company pays up without finding out a cause. Lance does whatever without really seeming to care what caused the problem and we're somehow led to believe that we shouldn't load/unload on grass or dirt? Maybe it's just me but it blows my mind that something this serious
happened and we have nothing but speculation.

#45 OFFLINE   flakjacket

flakjacket

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 314 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:2007 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Silverado LT 3500 DRW 4X4
  • Name (Public):Ed

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

I have unloaded my camper on soft ground (dirt). I do use 12x12 pads under the jack pads to keep the jack pads from possibly sinking into the ground. I even use them on asphalt (like parking lots) because I have seen the jack pads make impression in the asphalt. Any kind of settling and movement is not good.

2005 Silverado 3500 LT, CC DRW 4WD D/A, Ride-Rites, Rancho 9000, Supersprings, Line-X, XM Radio
2007 Lance 1181, Fastguns

#46 OFFLINE   turbo

turbo

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Local time: 08:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:iowa
  • Camper Brand:fleetwood
  • Truck Make & Model:dodge 3500 SRW

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

I did a search and found a few Stable lifts on Craigslist, (out West) if anybody wants to save some money :fing32:

#47 OFFLINE   saggys

saggys

Poster

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:21 PM

I did a search and found a few Stable lifts on Craigslist, (out West) if anybody wants to save some money :fing32:

The shipping is costly as the Stable Lift is heavy. I am guessing 350+lbs.
99 Ford F350 V10 Tow and Camper Package.
2004 Northstar 850SC with Stable-Lift.
2006 Triton Frontier 17 ith 60hp Mercury.

#48 OFFLINE   nstate

nstate

Poster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • State/Province or Region:California
  • Camper Brand:Host Everest Triple Slide
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hello GUys, i understand the thought behind that r/rear jack pad on the ground but the photos don't show all the blocks. Each jack pad was supported they're just not shown well in the pics. Not to mention, this dirt at my property is s hard it takes my backhoe to dig anything. Infact, i had to put a down pressure kit on my post hole auger just to get it to work.

O'kay, so my wife and i just got back from a trip to Bend,Oregon where we meet with Dave Hogue, the owner of Host Industries. We left yesterday(7 hour drive and got a motel room last night. We arrived at there facility early this morning and good about a 3-1/2 hour tour. Very interesting for the camper lover. Daves a nice guy and was impathetic to my situation but didn't have any answers to way or how it happened to my Yellowstone. He has however, switched from Atwoods to another brand(sorry, i've fotten) as he felt the Atwoods were no longer sufficient for the larger campers there building. We got to View, the 2011 Everest triple slide and it is nothing short of spectacular. I asked him to jack it up to bed hieght inwhich he did. He shook the camper at which time i watched the jacks wooble and flex. My wife watched several feet away. This was under controlled environment indoors on perfectly level concrete. This is no knock on him as he isn't the maker of the jacks and they use whats available. I feel a 2-1/4" or so jack should really be 3' with much heavier tubing. THey are experimenting with the stable system as he has a Everest unit being constructed that has this on it. Do to this system being mounted under both slideouts, he said the jury is still out. He'll know more as this model is being a built. By the way, the Everest triple slide weights in at 4400lbs. DRY. But man is it fancy.........!

It was a long trip but interesting. As i said, just got home and and i'm beat. I wouldn't be surprised if insurers quit providing coverage if the old fashed jacks are attached. I couldn't blame them.
2007 Host Everest Triple Slide TS11.5
1997 Dodge 3500 1-ton dually,5.9 Cummins w/ Banks Turbo system and stage 2 injectors
Hi-Pro 47 trans,triple billet torque convertor and GearVendor overdrive system
9000lb suspension springs with FireStone dual airbags w/ onboard compressor
4" turbo back exhaust
4" PacBrake exhaust brake

#49 OFFLINE   turbo

turbo

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:59 AM

The shipping is costly as the Stable Lift is heavy. I am guessing 350+lbs.

Yea :( thats why someone local could really score!

#50 OFFLINE   kerry4951

kerry4951

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Local time: 09:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Pa.
  • Camper Brand:2010 Arctic Fox 1140
  • Truck Make & Model:2009 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Kerry

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

I think Host now uses Rieco Titan jacks. So does Arctic Fox. RT jacks are rated at 2500 lbs each. It seems that alot of the heavier camper companies are going to Rieco Titan jacks.

#51 OFFLINE   turbo

turbo

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 04:27 AM

I think Host now uses Rieco Titan jacks. So does Arctic Fox. RT jacks are rated at 2500 lbs each. It seems that alot of the heavier camper companies are going to Rieco Titan jacks.

As a note they are not rated at 10000lbs total, they rate them at 6000lbs total for some reason.

#52 OFFLINE   flakjacket

flakjacket

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 314 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:2007 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Silverado LT 3500 DRW 4X4
  • Name (Public):Ed

Posted 30 June 2010 - 07:15 AM

Man, I was reading about this over at RV.net and I got say they threw you under the bus over there. All those wanta-be engineers over there have got this analized, and you judged, convicted, and hung out to dry.

2005 Silverado 3500 LT, CC DRW 4WD D/A, Ride-Rites, Rancho 9000, Supersprings, Line-X, XM Radio
2007 Lance 1181, Fastguns

#53 OFFLINE   blackmaxx

blackmaxx

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AB
  • Camper Brand:Bigfoot 2500 9.4 SB
  • Truck Make & Model:GMC K2500HD

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:02 AM

I think Lancealot is spot on. The campers with all of those slide outs are just getting too heavy for the same old jacks. Manufacturers are going to have to find and install better jacks.

Really sorry to hear about your accident and am glad no one was injured.

#54 OFFLINE   Motor7

Motor7

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Local time: 09:08 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Tennessee
  • Camper Brand:2000 Lance 1130 (The Beast)
  • Truck Make & Model:'03 Chevy, 3500, D-max,ext cab, dually, flatbed

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:32 AM

I just checked out the Stable Lift website as I had never heard of them. Wow, what an inovative product. This is the second TC I have owned, and am always a little on edge while loading/unloading. I saw a lot of movement on the old hyd jacks on the '96 Coachman, and if I watch closely, there is some movement on the 2000 Lance with the elec jacks. It's this movement that makes parking it on uneven ground risky as one tiny mistake can quickly multiply. The pogo jacks simply are not designed for lateral strength, but it looks like the stable Lift has adressed this issue very well.

RD

#55 OFFLINE   nstate

nstate

Poster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • State/Province or Region:California
  • Camper Brand:Host Everest Triple Slide
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500

Posted 01 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

Flakjacket- Yes your right i read some of there responses over there. This group doesn't seem to interested in solving problems but rather trying to find errors or excuses. Nothing wrong with asking more questions for analyzing, but these guys are ridiculous. I found this site while reseaching for answers. I want us all to learn something from my misfortune.
Look, this incident has kept me up at night trying to understand would happened. If i could find operator error, at least i would learn from my mistake and never repaet it. But, i didn't back into the camper(as evidence of the position my truck was in when it fell and landed), the ground was hard and stable, etc,etc,. The jack bracket didn't come off the camper. The tube collapsed, plain and simple. Not to mention, stable lift claims to have over 150 documented incidents of failures.

We really like the truck camper idea. But i don't want to buy another expensive camper to have a 2" extended tube and the balance of my investment and the safety of my family hanging on this 50 year old technology. Again, i wish someone(Atwood or Rieco) would increase there tube from 2" to maybe 3" with a heavier wall thickness. I really think it would be a huge difference.

I think if anything, these incidences hopefully have all of us being a little more aware and cautious when these are 15 or 16 feet up in the sky.

I'm not going to even respond to the other website as i'll end up challenging someone to a fist fight.
2007 Host Everest Triple Slide TS11.5
1997 Dodge 3500 1-ton dually,5.9 Cummins w/ Banks Turbo system and stage 2 injectors
Hi-Pro 47 trans,triple billet torque convertor and GearVendor overdrive system
9000lb suspension springs with FireStone dual airbags w/ onboard compressor
4" turbo back exhaust
4" PacBrake exhaust brake

#56 OFFLINE   tate

tate

Tate

• Admin (non-root)
  • 2399 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:51 AM

Man, I was reading about this over at RV.net and I got say they threw you under the bus over there. All those wanta-be engineers over there have got this analized, and you judged, convicted, and hung out to dry.

Well you just had to temp me to go over there and take a look. Seeing that nothing has changed I'll just stick around here where I can be helper rather than judged Image IPB

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

#57 OFFLINE   Lancealot

Lancealot

lancealot

• NATCOA Members
  • 581 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Interests:TCing , fly fishing , drag racing ,
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 f-550 XLT crew/4x4
  • Name (Public):Brian

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:03 PM

[quote name='tate' date='01 July 2010 - 11:51 AM' timestamp='1278010299' post='2943462']
Well you just had to temp me to go over there and take a look. Seeing that nothing has changed I'll just stick around here where I can be helper rather than judged Image IPB
[/quote]
I agree . Maybe it's from going on our caravans but we feel like we have an extended family , all families have their disagreements from time to time but here there is no
personnal judging going on at least not on the open forum.[quote]

CAMPING  where you spend a small fortune , to live like a homeless person .

#58 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:57 AM

I posted it over at RV.net because i felt it was important people are aware that there may be a problem, specifically with Atwood. My intention is not to trash Atwood, but I am sure if there is an inherent problem, the issues are nothing compared with what will happen if soemone is killed or serously injured. If nothing else posting it here & over there will make people a lot more carefukl when loading & unloading. For that reason alone, it is worth drawing attention to this incident and the one that Tuck had in Mexico. Seeing where the failure is in both cases, makes me wonder if the weakness is introduced when the brackets are welded on. I owudlo eb interste dto knwo if any incidents like this have occured with Reico titans, which appear similar in design (IE round tubes).

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#59 OFFLINE   d3500ram

d3500ram

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1495 posts
  • State/Province or Region:.
  • Camper Brand:2008 Northstar Arrow
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Cummins

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:20 PM

... I owudlo eb interste dto knwo ...

What, huh?? :wacko:

(Premature case of thumb on the space bar, huh!)
(LOL) :lol:
2005 Dodge Ram. 3500 diesel, SRW, 4WD, NV-5600, Helwig, 9000XL
2008 NorthStar Arrow

#60 OFFLINE   nebwest2

nebwest2

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • State/Province or Region:AZ
  • Camper Brand:Artic Fox 1140
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F-350 Dually crew cab

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

We have Reico electric jacks on our AF 1140. The Arizona sun has worked its special magic on the wiper seals at the bottom of the top tubes. These are the black rubber seals that the lower tube drags through when retracting into the upper tube. So...I contacted Reico and they were great about getting me 4 new seals that I could install myself. All that is required to replace them is to remove the single bolt that holds the foot plate on, slide the old ones off, slide the new ones on, replace the foot plate and you're done. Well, when I took off the foot plates I got a real surprise and with some of the threads lately about jack failures, I think what I found is something to think about.

Please keep in mind I live in Lake Havasu City, AZ. The last time the camper saw measureable rain was....uh....like I can't even remember. It has driven through a few rain showers on the road and of course gets wet when it it washed, but nothing crazy. So back to the story....I took out the bolt in the first jack's foot and I got at least a third to half gallon of the rustiest, nastiest water you could ever imagine streaming out. I'm talking like it stained my driveway type of nasty. Upon removing the second jack's foot bolt....same thing. I was amazed at how much water just poured out of it as soon as the bolt was backed out about half way and then the stream that ensued as I completely removed the bolt. Again ....extremely rusty, nasty stuff. Then I went to remove the front jacks' foot plates...no go... I have a dually and they are on swing out brackets. The bolts are rusted into place apparently and are so tight that I am afraid to apply any more leverage to them. I'll probably have to extend the jack and heat them up to get them out, but I'm gonna talk to Rieco first to make sure that won't screw something up.

My thoughts are this: I had no idea there was water in there. They never dripped and there was no indication of the water or rust inside. The jacks are 2.5 years old. How many years could that go on before the integrity of the lower jack tube would come into question?

I am also thinking of drilling a very small hole straight up into the footplate and base of the jack tube to allow future accumulations out. I'm talking like tiny, like an eighth inch hole. Just enough to let water out. Again, I am gonna wait 'till I talk to the guys at Reico about that but I think it would probably be a good idea and I think as long as the hole is in the bottom of the plate welded to close up the tube, the one that the bolt hole is already in, I don't think that would damage the structural integrity of the tube. Comments? Ideas??

By the way. The folks at Reico were are personable as could be when I called to get the replacement seals.

Sean
Image IPB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In