• 581 posts
  • Local time: 03:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Interests:TCing , fly fishing , drag racing ,
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 f-550 XLT crew/4x4
  • Name (Public):Brian

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:19 PM

Does anyone own or have looked at the 2010 Chalet RV TS 116 ? It looks like quite a fine unit.

Attached Images

• chalet tc.jpg
  • chalet 2.jpg

CAMPING  where you spend a small fortune , to live like a homeless person .

#2 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • Local time: 05:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Ontario
  • Interests:Traveling in Canada & wintering in Arizona
  • Camper Brand:2011 Lance 1191
  • Truck Make & Model:07 3500 Dodge
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:04 AM

I called them on Wed there sending a brochure and gave me the website of the only dealer in Oregon,he sells EagleCap also.Looks like they have maybe 3 out on the road and some in stock 2 models with double slides and the big triple slide.The Chalet offers the up grade furnace 15/22 btu which is well worth getting there priced not to bad for what you get and you can build your own online.

#3 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • Local time: 04:02 AM
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:59 AM

I hate to comment on something I have never seen, but a new triple slide camper that is in its first product year would cause me some hesitation.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#4 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:27 AM

It looks very nice but again your more top heavy with the floor being higher and looks like the slides have to be moved to access the little boys room.

#5 OFFLINE   Lancealot

Lancealot

lancealot

• NATCOA Members
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:TCing , fly fishing , drag racing ,
  • Camper Brand:Lance 1010
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 f-550 XLT crew/4x4
  • Name (Public):Brian

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

I hate to comment on something I have never seen, but a new triple slide camper that is in its first product year would cause me some hesitation.

Paul after owning a Lance for 10 years now I can say it's not God's gift to mankind.You doubt buying a new product
but people still overload 3/4 and 1 ton pickups with TC's that have weights that were built for trucks not
pickups. It doesn't matter how many springs , shocks , sway bars you use it doesn't change the fact the frames are
too light , ever wonder why you need so much cab clearence could it be the frames buckle and twist .I only have to watch a local F350 DRW with the identical Lance 1010 I have, twisting and swaying as it goes up the road ahead of me.
Most TCers pickups probably couldn't carry such a large unit anyway .As for having to move a slide to access the
interior you only have to enter the top of the line ( as far as Luxury motorcoaches go )NEWELL with 5 slides and
costing 1.4 million USD with the slides in and you find a long narrow hallway.Need room you still need to put the slides out .If they can build modular aircraft using the foam technology and interlocking panels like we use when
building monocoque race cars.I have a strong feeling these folks a Chalet ( are not new to building RV's , maybe
new to TCs )will advance the way future TCs will be built for strength . MHO Brian

CAMPING  where you spend a small fortune , to live like a homeless person .

#6 OFFLINE   rskeans

rskeans

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Camper Brand:OKANAGAN 117 DBL
  • Truck Make & Model:'08 Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 6.4L
  • Name (Public):Bob

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:15 AM

Does anyone own or have looked at the 2010 Chalet RV TS 116 ? It looks like quite a fine unit.

I haven't seen the Chalet, but before you get serious about one be sure to check out the new Eagle Cap. http://www.truckcamp...eagle-cap-1165/
'08 Ford F350 Lariet CC 4x4 Dually 6.4L 62 Gal fuel tank
'07 Okanagan 117dbl Dual slide, rear sofa, 64gal fresh water, 3.6KW generator

#7 OFFLINE   trbest

trbest

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 AM
  • State/Province or Region:New Hampshire
  • Camper Brand:Chalet ts116
  • Truck Make & Model:08 Ford F-450
  • Name (Public):Tom Best

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:26 PM

:fing32: My wife & I bought ours from Bill Penny @ Truck Camper warehouse after looking it over @ the Springfield Ma. show in Feb. Traded our 04 lance 1121 and not looking back first thing I noticed when bringing it home was the handling, not as much bouncing no need for the front struts that was recommended by lance. also seemed much more stable. We didn't have a chance to do a short shake down we jumped right in to the big one. We are on day 30 of a 90 day trip we started out in NH. went to WA. decided to stop in @ Chalet in OR. they were very happy to see us and one of their first units built that has almost 5,000 miles on it. They asked questions we gave answers they looked the unit over made some minor changes gave us a tour of the plant & after leaving the I felt we have almost a custom camper these guys make a great unit
we are now heading north up to Alaska we have been on about 75 miles of dirt roads back in SD into WY. had 60-70 mph head + cross winds also in SD, woke up to 2" snow, many days of rain even hail in WA. the extra room with the 3 slides and level floor we love it. any questions here is my e-mail trbest1@myfairpoint.net

Edited by trbest, 30 May 2010 - 11:15 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:11 AM

I,m not doubting you but you have to wonder how something so top heavy & heavy compared to the non basement Lance would handle better.We have an 1181 on a 3500 DRW Dodge with Ranchos and a little extra meat in the rear springs and it handles great even in a headwind.

#9 OFFLINE   borregoman

borregoman

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:03 AM

I am going to look at the Chalet over the Christmas holidays....I am going to Camper Outlet in Oregon. I was going to look at both the Chalet triple slide and the Eagle Cap...when I asked if Eagle Cap was going to produce a new triple side as advertised the sales rep responded that Eagle Cap closed their doors two weeks ago...they did the same in 2005.

Their advertised dry weight is 3,900 lbs which compares quite favorably to any of the heaver TC like Artic Fox and the larger Lances....

The 2011 Chevy dually fully loaded still has a payload capacity of 5.190 lbs, more than enough to carry this camper.

#10 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:20 AM

So are you saying that Eagle Cap is out of business? This is the first I head of this anybody else know anything?
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#11 OFFLINE   borregoman

borregoman

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 10:51 AM

Here is the message I received from Camper Outlet in Oregon... "Eric: you'll see a lot of Xmases before you see an 1165; Eagle Cap closed their doors last week. If you want a quality Triple Slide camper, Chalet is the best. Give us a call at (800)213-6799. Thanks again, Fred and Don / Camper Outlet

#12 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:58 AM

Borregoman thanks for sharing the information. Are you still going to look at Eagle Cap? I for one own a camper that the manufacture went out of business and others on here also have ones that are no longer being made. If you can get a good deal on a Eagle Cap I sure would think about see what kind of a warranty deal you could swing with the sales lot you might get a heck of a deal. Good luck and again thank you for sharing.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON

#13 OFFLINE   borregoman

borregoman

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:15 PM

Borregoman thanks for sharing the information. Are you still going to look at Eagle Cap? I for one own a camper that the manufacture went out of business and others on here also have ones that are no longer being made. If you can get a good deal on a Eagle Cap I sure would think about see what kind of a warranty deal you could swing with the sales lot you might get a heck of a deal. Good luck and again thank you for sharing.
xnorp

I just happend to be looking at the prototype Eagle Cap triple slide on the Eagle Cap forum....I almost thought I was looking at the interior of the Chalet, except the Chalet looks to have a bit more of a flashy interior. I will look at the Eagle Cap double side units see if they are big enough, you see I am trying to sway a little girl that leans twords the 5'ver side of life.....so a tripe slide MIGHT get the deal done

#14 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

Borregoman and the little lady, xnorp and Mrs. xnorp use to have a 5er after 10 years and and a camper before that we sold the 5er and went back to a camper and have never looked back. Ours only has a single slide we have enough room and like any couple no matter where you are you have to have your space and know when it is time to go out for a walk or sit by the fire. We really like the fact that we can go through a city with much less stress and that when I am lost I can turn around almost any where. Mrs. xnorp and me of course like the fact that we have our bath room with us at all times. And if we are out and about we can stop and eat or take a nap or just sit and rest for a bit. It is nice to just unhook the 5er and go but then again you don't have any of the stuff that I talked about above with you. We have been on several 3 month long trips with our camper and really enjoyed them like I said you have to give each other space at times. Hope that you can find just what you are looking for and if I can help just ask. Again good luck.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON

#15 OFFLINE   1STGENFARMBOY

1STGENFARMBOY

Poster

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • State/Province or Region:ILL
  • Camper Brand:Lance
  • Truck Make & Model:1993 Dodge W250
  • Name (Public):Darwin

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:34 PM

It should be nice for $40,000 +

Edited by 1STGENFARMBOY, 18 November 2010 - 02:34 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Moe

Moe

Poster

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 07:02 AM
  • Camper Brand:Arctic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Ford F350 DRW
  • Name (Public):Moe

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:54 PM

We have looked at them several times at TC Warehouse here in NH, matter fact my wife really like the Chalet's, but we just purchased a new AF1140. I thought 30K was more than enough for a TC the biggest problem I see with the Chalet beyond the fact they are new in the TC segment if that really means anything is the price is the north side 40K without optioning it out for any goodies you may want and they are BIG the Cab Over is upwards of 12.5 maybe 13 feet and as someone stated rather difficult to access the potty without opening the slide and then actually using the toilet could be a challenge even with the slides open as the bathroom is tight, not that any TC bathroom has tons of space.
Otherwise they appear to be a nice TC but I am partial to the AF and once I determine how the hell to post a pic here I will show off our new Camper and F350 :sterb003: .

Moe in NH

#17 OFFLINE   nstate

nstate

Poster

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • State/Province or Region:California
  • Camper Brand:Host Everest Triple Slide
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500

Posted 20 November 2010 - 05:15 PM

I really like the triple slides. I haven't yet seen in person the Chalet, but we did go up to Bend,Oregon and got a full tour of the Host factory inwhich we got to see several partially completed Everests and one fully finished model. We had the double slide Yellowstone which we like. However the roominess and livability of the triple is just plain amazing. It does baffle me, however, that they should costs $40,000.00 plus. But i guess if i was retired and traveling alot, then it being your second home i could justify it.
2007 Host Everest Triple Slide TS11.5
1997 Dodge 3500 1-ton dually,5.9 Cummins w/ Banks Turbo system and stage 2 injectors
Hi-Pro 47 trans,triple billet torque convertor and GearVendor overdrive system
9000lb suspension springs with FireStone dual airbags w/ onboard compressor
4" turbo back exhaust
4" PacBrake exhaust brake

#18 OFFLINE   rskeans

rskeans

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:55 AM

We have looked at the Chalet. It is really a nice and spacious unit. Much more storage than my Okanagan. Chalet lets the rear drop lower than the truck bed thereby creating more storage space. With that said, if you ever wanted to tow something behind the camper you couldn't. Also, since you cannot see the truck license plate with the camper on you would have to move the truck plate to the camper. Not a big deal.

My Okanakan weighs over 5000 lb wet. I don't think the Chalet would weigh any more wet. Their slideout mechnaics are inovative and much lighter than most. I had to add extra overload springs to my F350 dually. I have no problem in handling with the overload springs. I far exceed the truck's GVWR but am well within by a couple thousand pounds the Dana 80 Axle ratings and the tire ratings.

When looking at the Chalet be sure to consider how you use the unit versus how it is laid out. A couple things come to mind in retrospect.
1. I don't think there is a stove hood. That would be mandatory for us. I just don't remember.
2. I don't recall seeing, or a place for towel racks in the bathroom. The wall behind the toilet is curved.

It's been a while since I looked at the Chalet. My mind is very foggy. I just wanted to throw out some things to look at.

We would like to own a Chalet provided some issues were addressed and the economy improves. It would probably require a custom build with minor changes, mostly dealing with electrical features. No framing changes. I think Chalet has the capability to make some minor changes during construction. Overall we felt that this was an outstanding unit.

#19 OFFLINE   trbest

trbest

Tenderfoot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 06:02 AM
  • Camper Brand:Chalet ts116
  • Truck Make & Model:08 Ford F-450
  • Name (Public):Tom Best

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:54 PM

My Torkhitch extension clears the back of our Chalet TS116 no problem! I have used the 48" extension to carry a Stowaway II on a 3 month 14,748 mile trip [Alaska] I see no reason why I can't tow a trailer. The torkhitch system is rated to 12,000 lb with equalizer. You are right about the stove hood, I open the window slightly and run the fantastic fan, this handles all the cooking smells and moisture. Also right about towel rack and curved wall, but we added some of those command hooks in the bathroom for towels & above entry door to hang wet coats for the night.

We have looked at the Chalet. It is really a nice and spacious unit. Much more storage than my Okanagan. Chalet lets the rear drop lower than the truck bed thereby creating more storage space. With that said, if you ever wanted to tow something behind the camper you couldn't. Also, since you cannot see the truck license plate with the camper on you would have to move the truck plate to the camper. Not a big deal.

My Okanakan weighs over 5000 lb wet. I don't think the Chalet would weigh any more wet. Their slideout mechnaics are inovative and much lighter than most. I had to add extra overload springs to my F350 dually. I have no problem in handling with the overload springs. I far exceed the truck's GVWR but am well within by a couple thousand pounds the Dana 80 Axle ratings and the tire ratings.

When looking at the Chalet be sure to consider how you use the unit versus how it is laid out. A couple things come to mind in retrospect.
1. I don't think there is a stove hood. That would be mandatory for us. I just don't remember.
2. I don't recall seeing, or a place for towel racks in the bathroom. The wall behind the toilet is curved.

It's been a while since I looked at the Chalet. My mind is very foggy. I just wanted to throw out some things to look at.

We would like to own a Chalet provided some issues were addressed and the economy improves. It would probably require a custom build with minor changes, mostly dealing with electrical features. No framing changes. I think Chalet has the capability to make some minor changes during construction. Overall we felt that this was an outstanding unit.

#20 OFFLINE   rskeans

rskeans

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 07:38 AM

My Torkhitch extension clears the back of our Chalet TS116 no problem! I have used the 48" extension to carry a Stowaway II on a 3 month 14,748 mile trip [Alaska] I see no reason why I can't tow a trailer.

That is great information for me. I need to tow a utility trailer behind the camper and I have a 48" extension. I thought that the trailer hitch would be blocked by the extra TS116 rear storage space.

Now if only they would install a stove hood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In