Halibutman

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • Local time: 07:04 AM
  • Camper Brand:Lance 830
  • Truck Make & Model:2008 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:56 AM

I guarantee you one thing that will happen immediatley for me. When I clear my truck it is going to be WAY clear and there will NEVER be anyone near the camper when the jacks are extended. Regardless of cause this has been a good lesson for all. Hope everything works out for you.

#42 OFFLINE   Tuck

Tuck

Tenderfoot

• NATCOA Members
  • 11 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Colorado
  • Interests:flyfishing, camping, bodysurfing.
  • Camper Brand:Lance 981
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy 2500 HD 4X4
  • Name (Public):Tuck

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

I was able to reach the Mexican insurance company Monday AM they had an adjuster out within 2 hous and have hauled the truck to the Chevy dealer in Morelia. Estimated rerair time 7 to 10 days, but we both know this is Semana Santa and that will extend our visit to Patzcauro a little longer than we had planned. That's OK it's a nice place. I have declined the insurance companys offer to try and repair the camper here. The only substantial damage as you know was to the jacks, and they are not available here in Mexico.
The service manager @ Lance contacted me and has offered to ship new jacks and required hardware, at my expense, full retail price plus shipping/customs etc. for repairs here. I think I will reload camper on new truckbed once it is repaired and take the camper to Lance for full inspection. I'm going to look at all options with regard to jacks and certainly a more stable lifting system would be welcome.

#43 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

The more I see the increasing degree of piss-poor welding going on in RV products these days, the more I'm glad I have older model Atwoods that used the great big clamp rings instead.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my camper does a little wiggling dance when she's going up or down for an extended period of time, something about the rotation of the jack motors gets just right in harmonic resonance and she starts her little dance. Its not really pronounced, but just something I noted when making the big lift and lower when shes going down onto her stacker jacks at camp.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#44 OFFLINE   wthattny

wthattny

Former Director

• NATCOA Members
  • 428 posts
  • Local time: 08:04 AM
  • State/Province or Region:CO
  • Camper Brand:Host
  • Truck Make & Model:Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 4x4
  • Name (Public):Bill

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

No, he was lowering it to the ground checking to make sure the jacks were going down even as he said he always does. That was my first thought. Besides 3 can, & should, support the camper. Notice the bend is just under the weld, maybe it rusted under the paint & weakened, I am no longer there so can't check that out. The camper is 4 years old BTW.

Paul, I want to thank you for this observation, because it caused me to check the welds on my front Atwood jacks. I found that there were hairline cracks in several of the welds, and rust on several others. This could only mean that those welds had failed. The powder coat paint obscures most of the weld, but the presence of rust and/or a hairline crack can only mean that the weld came loose enough to let water in through the powder coating. Hence, they must be failed.

I'm currently at Lake Powell and there's a guy named Jeff Kiteley who has a shop in Hanksville, north of Bullfrog, who is great with welding (and lots of other stuff too). I'm having him take off the powder coating and redo the welds, both inside the bracket and outside.

Things happen for a reason, and while this is no doubt stressful for Tuck, it's sure going to save me and other folks a lot of grief. Thanks again.

2006 Host Ranier 9.5 2005

Silverado 2500, Duramax, 4x4, SRW, CC, LB, AFE air intake 

Rickson 19.5 steel wheels

Michelin 245R70/19.5 XDS2

Torklift Fastguns, Superhitch, SuperTruss, Supersprings

Rancho 9000 shocks

Federico (Hellwig) sway bars

Firestone Ride Rites

Onan Camp Power LP 2500W

Go Power 1000W inverter

Powerfilm 60W solar panel

The Rig 2011

Proud father of a U.S.A.F. Staff Sgt and a Biomedical Engineer.

#45 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12473 posts
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

Can you do me a favor & post this over at the LOA as well. Since most there have lance campers & they are all Atwoods, they should inspect them as well. In fact I think everyone should with Happijac & Reicos as well. this may not me an Atwood problem.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#46 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12473 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:53 PM

" The jacks with the highest denoted failure rates are Happijacs, which used a thin-walled square tube."

Please provide the source and evidence for this statement, or is it your opinion.

Thank you.
Td

I have not heard of a similar incident with happijacs, although I have seen plenty of complaints about clacking, etc. maybe Don from Happijac can tell us if they have had any incidents. I have heard of people modifying happijacs to supposedly make them better, that is a distinctly dangerous practice. I specified Reico's on my new camper because I felt they were better than happijacs, but they have disadvantages as well. My main objection to happijacs was the paint which supposedly they have fixed, but i have some problems on one of my Reicos as well.The safest solution is stablelift, but I do not like the appearance I suspect they are a pain with fibreglass shell campers or duallies. Any mechanical device can fail and the whole principle of supporting 4000 lbs on 4 sticks is inherently unstable.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#47 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

Paul, have you already forgotten about Happijacs motor release jack drop problem from a few years back?

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper

#48 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12473 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:44 PM

I was never aware of it.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#49 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

Hell, Jim and Sue were one of the first ones to post about how the motor disengage almost dropped the pickup camper they had.

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper

#50 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12473 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:06 AM

I actually don' recall it. The whole jack thing is getting scary. I am leaving my camper on in areas I know I can't get it back on in case of failure.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#51 OFFLINE   ralphl

ralphl

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 1018 posts
  • State/Province or Region:NM
  • Interests:Hunting, camping, guns, hunting, fishing, Portabote, travel (for hunting, of course) and reading (about hunting).
  • Camper Brand:S&S Montana
  • Truck Make & Model:97 Ford F-350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Ralph

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:00 AM

Let's not over react. Has anyone heard of this happening before? We're glad Tuck brought this to our attention. Fore warned, and all. But between the members on this forum there are thousands of loadings and unloadings with those jacks with absolutely no problems. We are all going to be extra careful and inspect our welds and bolts, but pulling the camper off and having the use of the truck is the primary reason a lot of us choose T/Cs. Has there been any comment from Atwood? Maybe one of our manufacturers can dig up a comment, but I wouldn't knee-jerk until we hear from them or get a chance to cut that jack in half and see what actually happened.
Ralph & Laura
The Mutts: Cookie & Mag
The Rig: 1997 7.3L Ford F350 Diesel Dually toting a 9.5 S&S Montana Ponderosa SC with all the goodies, including solar.
Full Banks upgrade. Tork Lift frame mount tiedowns. Rancho 9000 shocks. Airbags. Custom GORILLA Bumper by Northland Fabrication.

#52 OFFLINE   sooty1234

sooty1234

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 887 posts
  • Camper Brand:Retro 177se
  • Truck Make & Model:Colorado
  • Name (Public):Jim

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

I actually don' recall it. The whole jack thing is getting scary. I am leaving my camper on in areas I know I can't get it back on in case of failure.

Paul, I think you have the right idea. I have seen, read, and looked at enough inerds of these jacks, and the resultant failures of all brands, that I use my jacks a little as possible. Like you I never remove my camper at out of the way loacations for the reason you state above. I see people running jacks up and down at every stop. Each use shortens their life. I am surprised at the cheapness of the inside workings of these jacks and wonder how they last as long as they do. Each person well use their jacks as they see fit, but I will not use mine unless absolutley necessary. YMMV, Jim

"It ain't what a man knows that gets him in trouble. It's what he thinks he knows, but just ain't so!" Will Rogers.

#53 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

The Atwoods I have now are on their 16th year of service, before my camper they lifted a 1994 12' Real-Lite. They clunk and bonk a little, but they go up and down consistently (and are fairly stable as well) and they're longer and bigger than my hydraulic predecessors, by at least 1 1/2x.

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper

#54 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Ontario
  • Interests:Traveling in Canada & wintering in Arizona
  • Camper Brand:2011 Lance 1191
  • Truck Make & Model:07 3500 Dodge
  • Name (Public):Gary

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

Did anyone ever ask Attwood why such a small weld when theres space for twice the lenght surely it wouldn,t be more than $2 a jack more.

#55 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12473 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

same with reicos, a longer weld is pssible

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#56 OFFLINE   tankeryanker

tankeryanker

Grand Potentate

• Members
  • 886 posts
  • Camper Brand:2014 Arctic Fox 990
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 dodge q/c dually ctd
  • Name (Public):Glenn

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:24 PM

Thread hijack

Hey Paul get busy & add some pics to your blog. We are going thru withdrawls. :comp26:

#57 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3208 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

You can always read my blog in the meantime The Journey of the Redneck Express. It's almost caught up to 2008, but its got a few trips and entries that either never saw the light of day before, or have been long forgotten.

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper

#58 OFFLINE   flakjacket

flakjacket

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 314 posts
  • State/Province or Region:CA
  • Camper Brand:2007 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2005 Silverado LT 3500 DRW 4X4
  • Name (Public):Ed

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

Somebody on RV.net, I think it was sleepy, posted that one of his front jacks (I think it was the driver front) was kicked out when raising or lowering and tended to shift the camper in a counter-clockwise motion. This would put extra strain on the passenger front jack and push it in the direction of the bend in the picture. Let it be known I am not an engineer.

Ed

2005 Silverado 3500 LT, CC DRW 4WD D/A, Ride-Rites, Rancho 9000, Supersprings, Line-X, XM Radio
2007 Lance 1181, Fastguns

#59 OFFLINE   Mr Firewood

Mr Firewood

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 447 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Camper Brand:2017 Grand Design Solitude 39' 5th wheel
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 Ford F-550 CC 4X4 6.0L, 2017 Ford F-450 CC, 6.7L
  • Name (Public):George Brown

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

I have a 2006 Lance 1191 which is pretty heavy and I hate jacking it on and off the truck. I use 12" x 12" jacking pads and even on pavement I have to use a sledge hammer at times to keep the two front jacks lined up with the corners of the camper. I think part of the problem may be that when using the remote, the jacks don't go up or down at the same speed. This results in uneven jacking and is a particular problem when unloading the camper since it is not unusual for the rear jacks, L/R as you stand behind it to unload which would put the load on the R/F of the camper.

If you can keep all four corners ligned up when lifting and lowering your camper there won't be an issue. But with mine it's not easy and I fight it most of the time.

George
Twisp, WA

Retirement: "Every Day's a Holiday & Every Meal's a Banquet"

#60 OFFLINE   farmer

farmer

Past President

• NATCOA Members
  • 1750 posts
  • Camper Brand:2003 Bigfoot 30C10.11SL
  • Truck Make & Model:Class 5 2005 Ford F-550 365 cu.in. Powerstroke Diesel4x4 Lariat crewcab 10' flatdeck
  • Name (Public):Rick and Susanne

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:22 PM

The first time I loaded the camper I had to bolt on 12" of extensions on the bottom of the jacks to lift high enough.

I have since then taken off the extensions and built buttressed wood towers that are glued and screwed together and are 1" below the jacks that are in the fully retracted position.
Now my jacks only have to lift 6" to get the camper off the truck, the whole process is done on a concrete floor only.
Out in the real world the camper stays on the truck, especially after seeing this posting.
If we want to sight see, depending on trip, it will be thumb, walk, bike, bus, taxi, or jeep.

Thankyou for sharing pictures,the technology for lifting campers does not seem to be keeping pace with the heavy campers that are now out there.
Maybe except for the stable lift idea, my opinion is that they don't have enough clearance (and ugly) but they look stable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In