• Admin
  • 12483 posts
  • Local time: 06:20 PM
  • State/Province or Region:BC
  • Camper Brand:2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
  • Truck Make & Model:2007 Dodge Diesel 5.9 Laramie SB
  • Name (Public):Paul Beddows

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:18 AM

I've been using it for a few weeks now & i must say I like it. It is fast & stable. The only bummer is that you cannot upgrade directly from Windows XP, but I decided to take the opportunity to go with a clean install. I bought a new hard drive & started anew with my old one in there as a slave. I am slowly re-installing the software I use and simply boot to the old drive & XP if I need something I haven't yet re-installed.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#2 OFFLINE   jimd40

jimd40

Past President/Founding Member

• Founder
  • 1500 posts
  • Local time: 07:20 PM
  • State/Province or Region:co
  • Interests:.
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 dodge dsl 4x4 quad cab long bed

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:46 AM

Paul, keep us posted on wind 7...Nancy is going to get another laptop and has been waiting for 7 to come out...with all her photo shit she needs to upgrade....tks jim

2006 snowriver 8'10" ....2006 dodge quad cab 4x4 dsl auto . . 2006 jeep grand cherokee limited 4x4 jim ..nancy..& ( a shitsu named heiko )

#3 OFFLINE   Admin-Mathews

Admin-Mathews

Founder- Forum Admin - Past President

• Admin (non-root)
  • 726 posts
  • Local time: 09:20 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Florida
  • Interests:Fishing
  • Camper Brand:No Longer Have a Truck Camper
  • Truck Make & Model:1993 CHEV 3500 TURBO-DIESEL
  • Name (Public):BILL MATHEWS

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:54 AM

I also would like to know how it works out, my wife got a new laptop and it came with a free upgrade to windows 7.

No Longer Have a Truck Camper.
1993 Chevy 3500 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, Reg. Cab, Long Bed, SRW, Rancho 9000X, Air Lift Air Bags, Auto Level Sys., Rickson 19.5X7.5 Wheels Dunlop 245X70X19.5 H rated Tires, Happijac Tiedowns, "Bed Rug" Brand Liner, Lance brand cab over struts

#4 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

Founder-Director-IT Admin-Corperate Relations- Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 12483 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:02 AM

So far, much better than Vista which my wife had on her laptop. For that reason I never upgraded the desktop.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#5 OFFLINE   xnorp

xnorp

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 3353 posts
  • Camper Brand:2004 SnowRiver 9'6
  • Truck Make & Model:2000 F250 PSD 4x4 XLT
  • Name (Public):George

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:07 AM

My new desk top ( 2 months old ) has vista and came with the free upgrade to Windows 7. I don't mind Vista but am looking forward to the Windows 7 update. Yes Paul keep us posted on the difference. Thanks.
xnorp
SPOKANE WASHINGTON
Proud Grandparent of a US MARINE

#6 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12483 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

It is hard for me to tell the diference since I avoided Vista like the plague. It has a few nice features. Youget thumbnails of webpages you have open simply by passing a mouse over the IE explorer or FF logo. The same is true of any pograms you have open. Click the thumbnail below (the colors are simply the way I copied it to keep the file small). I also like the way the My Computer screen looks which is also up in the picture. It certainly boots a lot faster and program installs seem to go quickly, especially microsoft programs. It took less than 2 minutes to install MS Office (I'm not kidding, I did not time it but it was likely closer to a minute off a hard drive file, not a cd). Media center boots up quickly unlike XP. In many ways it looks like Vista, but comparing with the wifes laptop, it seems much faster. I only have 1 gig or RAM, with 2 gig chips now down to about $30, I think I may stick 4 gig in there.

Attached File  win7.gif   362.93KB   23 downloads

There are soem incompatibilities. I had to upgrade my Acronis Backup software for example, and some registry scanners no longer work (at least the couple I tried - Uniblues seems to work). Windows 7 does make it easy to keep another operating sytem running with a dual boot if you have the hard drive space.

Microsoft has decided to punish those who did not drink the Vista kool Aid, but having no direct migration path form XP. In somr ways this is a good thing as it is aways a good idea to do a clean install & re-install software. It gets rid of obselte stuff & stuff you may have loaded & is now bogging your PC down. It also gets rid of those irrtating bundled trial programs than companies like HP are so fond of pre-loading on PC's. Alternatively you can find a friend who went to Vista, borrow theri disk & do a 2 stage upgrade.

I am running Windows 7 release candidate since the Actual software is not being released til Oct 22. My version will work until March then I have to actually buy it.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#7 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

Founding Member - Forum Admin - Director

• Admin
  • 4240 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 PM
  • State/Province or Region:Illinois
  • Interests:Camping and more camping
  • Truck Make & Model:2006 GMC Sieara 1500 with Supersprings

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:32 AM

I bought mine on the prerelease deal can't wait for it haveing so many problems I don't even use my computer doing everthing on my blackberry

Dan
Dan 48
wife Patti as young as ever
2006 GMC 1500 with Supersprings
2001 Jayco 23B

#8 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12483 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

My advice is do a clean install & just load everything as you need it. Hard drives are now cheap. A TB one is $100 - $150. Get a new one & install the old one as a slave. Most PC's will allow you to boot off more than one drive. Once you are finished with it, you can then format it & use it for storing a backup image of your PC.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#9 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

• Admin
  • 4240 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

Paul does it have there new antivirus included on it? If not have you heard anything about it? It should be the same as avg since ms bought them last year

Dan
Dan 48
2001 Jayco 23B

#10 OFFLINE   tate

tate

Tate

• Admin (non-root)
  • 2399 posts
  • State/Province or Region:WA
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:41 AM

Paul does it have there new antivirus included on it? If not have you heard anything about it? It should be the same as avg since ms bought them last year

Dan

Dan
I installed the new Microsoft antivirus last week and all is working well. Used Windows One for a couple of years and liked it. New computer I purchased earlier this year came with McAfee that I did not care for. System boots much faster with this antivirus software. Looking forward to Windows 7 to arrive it was ordered when they offered a kickoff deal.Here is a link to Microsoft upgrade advisor and would be wise to run it before installing Windows 7.Advisor

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

#11 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12483 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

I am not sure, it did have windows defender in it. I use Kapersky which was compatible. Acronis backup was not, but the new Acronis 2010 is which i bought. Nero 7 is not compatible, I don't know about later versions, but I have AVS for manipulating disks. When I reinstalled that off the files in my download folder & ran it, both Kapersky & Spyware doctor showed them as infected with a worm. I removed them & downloaded new versions from the vendors site & they came up clean. that means that some previous infection on my PC had substituted infected clones, or modified them for those programs. For this reason as I do a clean install of windows 7, any legal software I have i am re-downloading straight from the vendor unless I have them on a CD or DVD, rather than trusting anything I have previously downloaded. I have to buy windows 7 before March, that is when the test version I got from Microsoft expires. It is Windows 7 ultimate, whatever that means. I believe there is Windows 7 home, windows 7 prof & windows 7 ultimate. I want media center so I guess whichever version contains that, i will buy.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#12 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3214 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:02 PM

I'll do what I usually do with Microsoft OSes, wait till Service Pack 2 (My laptop came with SP 1, but I already knew that SP 2 was on its way out back in August). Grabbing a brand new version of windows fresh off the shelf is akin to running buttnaked in front of snipers, the big security holes won't become apparent until after its been publicly out there for a while.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#13 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12483 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 08:19 PM

My computer was so bogged down, it was go this route or do a clean Xp install. Seemed a bit redundant to do that.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#14 OFFLINE   RedneckExpress

RedneckExpress

Root Forum Admin

• Admin
  • 3214 posts
  • State/Province or Region:Oregon
  • Interests:Camper Restoration, Antique RVs, Camping, Fishing, Full-timing, Gardening, Cigars
  • Camper Brand:1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge Power Wagon W-250 "Dually" 4x4 5.9L V8 TBI 4 speed H.D Tranny 4.10 Gears
  • Name (Public):RedneckExpress

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

That's why you set up your computer with all your base software and bookmarks and what not, then make a Ghost image of the hard drive for system restoration in the event it gets buggered.

Follow me as I full-time the Redneck Way at The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB Channel 17
Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 Club Cab Long Bed "Dually" V8 5.9l 4spd H.D Auto 4x4 4.10 Gears
'1974 KIT 1106 Kamper
'2006 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
'1987 Custom Built Pullman Mini Camper (The Pullman Mini Camper Project)
'2004 Bi-Mart 1000lbs Cargo Trailer (Chuck wagon)
signature_banner_500x.jpg

#15 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12483 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

I have done regular backups over the years, but not wanted to revert too far back. This time I have been doing backups at various stages and labeling them, so I can choose where to go back to. I also bought Acronis which is the best backup software I have seen so far, and very fast which is nice. It also creates its own boot sector on the drive so you don't need a startup disk.

My XP was so bogged down it was ridiculous, It was painfully slow and I was getting a lot of lockups that required pulling the power cord. No amount of spyware/virus scans or registry scans helped. The only thing I want to do now is go get another 3 gig of Ram. I have 1 gig but that is a little low. Windows 7 has one nice feature that may have been in Vista as well. You can plug a memory stick into a USB port and use it as extra RAM. I suppose you could have put your swap drive on one under XP. I don't know, it never occurred to me to try.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#16 OFFLINE   Dan Quinn

Dan Quinn

• Admin
  • 4240 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 08:35 PM

Well I just found my vista problems it was service pac 2. It was to the point I could not down load a picture from my camera. Spent a hour with toshiba and could not find the problem. So we did a complete out of box restore down loaded all security patches and all was well next day sp 2 was ready to down load and I did so all of a sudden nothing is working right so I uninstalled it and everything is great now. So I have decided untill I can do ms 7 I'm not installing sp2 on it.
Dan 48
2001 Jayco 23B

#17 OFFLINE   RichConley

RichConley

Village idiot

• Moderators
  • 2155 posts
  • Interests:Travel - photography
  • Camper Brand:2014 Lance 1181
  • Truck Make & Model:2015 F350 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):Invisible

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

There are two indispensable freeware utilities worth getting: 1) Glary Utilities and 2) SmartDefrag

It might be worth trying Glary Utilities on the old hard drive Paul, just to see what come up. I'd like to know.
I use both and recommend them.

#18 OFFLINE   PigPen

PigPen

• Admin
  • 12483 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 09:08 PM

I will give that a try. Some other incompatibilities

Partition Magic 8, The free partition wizard works, however.

Xara menu maker - would not install, but i installed sucessfully using safe mode.

2014 Snowriver 234RBS

trailer.JPG

#19 OFFLINE   stuwu4s

stuwu4s

Grand Potentate

• NATCOA Members
  • 759 posts
  • Local time: 09:20 PM
  • State/Province or Region:NC
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 dually diesel
  • Name (Public):stuart johnson

Posted 29 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

As anyone seen the Windows 7 and the Mac TV commerical?? the one where the Windows guy keeps saying he promises "no more problems", such as the ones Microsoft had in Vista, XP, ME2000, 98, etc, etc. the commerical is great.

i cannot understand how the biggest software company ever can keep putting out products that do not work. every time they put out a new release or updates they are fixing problems in the old release.

My computer is running Vista and at first i had nothing but problems, it kept 'crashing' on me. but then one of their fixes fixed it. Vista is now running just fine.

If Microsoft wants to give me Windows 7 free i will take it, but will not pay for it.
We have room for but one flag, the AMERICAN FLAG.We have room for but one language here, and that is the ENGLISH language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a LOYALITY TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

#20 OFFLINE   tate

tate

Tate

• Admin (non-root)
  • 2399 posts
  • Interests:Family first, Camping, Taking photos, Computers
  • Camper Brand:990 Artic Fox
  • Truck Make & Model:Dodge 3500 DRW
  • Name (Public):Paul & Kathy

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

I installed Windows 7 on the first day it was released. After install ran Windows update they had and installed any new drivers that I needed. Vista would lock up when having over three tabs in Internet explorer with windows 7 and playing around opened twelve taps and all ran as fast as one with no lockup.. My system is Farley fast with Intel 7i and nine gigs ram it is much faster now. At this moment I have windows explorer running along with lightroom, photoshop elements. windows media center, street atlas, Picasa, outlook, word, and excel at same time. As I write this the system is using just under three gigs of ram and 1% CPU. At first look had to wonder what the big deal was, that was before I started using it and now I love it and would never go back.

2003 Dodge 4X4 DRW Cummins, 2015 Artic Fox 990, Tork Lift Tie downs, Fastguns, SuperHitch, Firestone Air Bags, Rancho 9000x,Bodiak front end receiver, Honda EU2000, 15' Boston Whaler Classic,
Evenrude e-tec 50, Western WA. e-mail pktate@frontier.com
Famous Last Words: 'HOLD MY BEER....AND WATCH THIS'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sign In